2020-2021 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome, thanks! Yes that was what I meant. How long is the UWorld subscription for? Is it throughout 1st and 2nd year for step 1 and then throughout 3rd year for step 2 or do they just cover a few months or so before those complex/usmle exams?
we have it till the fall 2022

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
we also have boardvitals q bank which I found out about because of your question so thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
congrats on the A! if you don't mind sharing, what were your stats?
If you’d like mine as well (I was also interviewed/waitlisted in Jan, accepted this week):

cGPA: 3.30, sGPA: 3.09 (those are undergrad and graduate combined, with my graduate GPAs being significantly higher than undergrad)
MCAT: 508
OOS, career in clinical research, average shadowing/volunteer hours, strong commitment to rural family med and the south reflected in my personal statement

I did not send updated academic info or a letter of interest and was frankly shocked and thrilled to see the acceptance email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students message me. I would like to ask someone a few questions about their experience and any advice. I love this school and need to make a final decision on a DO acceptance.
hey! send me a message, I'm a current student and happy to help you

Hello everyone! I just found out that ACOM is having a virtual ShaDO Day this year again! I attended their virtual ShaDO Day last year and found it very helpful, so I decided to share this with you guys. I think this is going to be a great opportunity, for anyone who’s interested in ACOM, to show interest in the school and to interact with the faculty (Their Director of Admission is going to be there as well!!). I copied and pasted the description of the virtual ShaDO Day that I found on the Class of 2025 Facebook page below:

We are hosting a Virtual ShaDO Day on April 23rd from 1:30 to 4:50 PM. ACOM’s ShaDO day is for prospective medical students and incoming ACOM students to learn about Osteopathic Medicine and about ACOM as an Osteopathic Medical School.

For this event, we will have speeches from our Dean Dr. Jones, OPP Chair Dr. Fotopoulos, and Director of Admissions Mrs. Goodson. We will also have some fun with OMM demonstration, mock patient encounter, campus tour, and a Q&A panel. The panel will have students from all 4 years and incoming OPP and SIM fellows. Please feel welcome to join the event and get to know ACOM.

Good luck everyone!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone! I just found out that ACOM is having a virtual ShaDO Day this year again! I attended their virtual ShaDO Day last year and found it very helpful, so I decided to share this with you guys. I think this is going to be a great opportunity, for anyone who’s interested in ACOM, to show interest in the school and to interact with the faculty (Their Director of Admission is going to be there as well!!). I copied and pasted the description of the virtual ShaDO Day that I found on the Class of 2025 Facebook page below:

We are hosting a Virtual ShaDO Day on April 23rd from 1:30 to 4:50 PM. ACOM’s ShaDO day is for prospective medical students and incoming ACOM students to learn about Osteopathic Medicine and about ACOM as an Osteopathic Medical School.

For this event, we will have speeches from our Dean Dr. Jones, OPP Chair Dr. Fotopoulos, and Director of Admissions Mrs. Goodson. We will also have some fun with OMM demonstration, mock patient encounter, campus tour, and a Q&A panel. The panel will have students from all 4 years and incoming OPP and SIM fellows. Please feel welcome to join the event and get to know ACOM.

Good luck everyone!!!

Thank you for posting this

Does anyone know how many people get off the waitlist every year?
It varies per cycle, but a good many people do.

Also would highly recommend you go to the shado day if you're interested in acom. Tell them you're waitlisted and you really want to come to acom, it worked for me

Reactions: 2 users
For accepted students - how long did it take for you to receive your matriculation packet? I placed my deposit last Tuesday and my bank statement shows that it went through, but my portal still shows "Accepted - Waiting Deposit" and I haven't received anything from ACOM.

For accepted students - how long did it take for you to receive your matriculation packet? I placed my deposit last Tuesday and my bank statement shows that it went through, but my portal still shows "Accepted - Waiting Deposit" and I haven't received anything from ACOM.
Nevermind, got the matriculation email minutes after I posted this (of course, ha!).

It varies per cycle, but a good many people do.

Also would highly recommend you go to the shado day if you're interested in acom. Tell them you're waitlisted and you really want to come to acom, it worked for me
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I'll be at work then :(

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck everyone!!!
Do you have any idea if the event will be recorded and available for later playback this year?

Just got an II!! Pretty surprised that it's this late, but I'll take it for sure. Any tips/ACOM info for me? :)

• Wow
Hi Guys!

Interviewed on 4/9, accepted today! Feeling really grateful to be able to attend med school at ACOM. I'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone know the links for the FB group / GroupMe?

Also, if anyone living in Dothan has advice about where to live / life in Dothan, please let me know!

Thanks a million.

The link was a few pages back but since I have nothing better to do at the moment, I did the scrolling for you.

You're invited to my new group 'ACOM class of 2025👨‍⚕️👩‍⚕️' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

If there are any prospective students/incoming students/interviewees who want to discuss ACOM in person, DM me. I am a current fourth year who will be in Dothan for graduation hooding this coming Thursday.

Does ACOM accept Letters of Interest? Their waitlist email mentioned adding academic updates to AACOMAS but I'm not sure if we're allowed to email them LOIs?
Yes they accept them. Just send it as a word doc or pdf to the admissions email

Hey Class of 2025, congratulations on getting accepted and welcome to the family! I’m a current 1st year who has a vacant studio apartment at Summerfield that’s ready for anybody who wants to move in. Send me a message if you’re interested! Thanks!

Interview Invite just now!! Scheduled for May 7. I am predicting the class would be almost full...

Last edited:
Does anyone know the exact hospitals ACOM has clinical rotations at? I cannot find the information anywhere):

Has anyone been able to speak with Ms. Linda Goodson? I have been emailing and calling since December to get feedback on my application but no luck...

Does anyone know if summerfield square is full or if housing is still available?

For those that live/lived in summerfield , how is it? Would you say its pretty clean? Any problems you guys have noticed there?

Any idea when we get our financial aid breakdown/loan offers?

may 5th, still rockin' that big waitlist energy since early March

waitlisted gang wya ✌🥺

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Hi all, does anyone know how to withdraw their seat after paying the deposit? I emailed admissions but did not receive a reply-I saw someone posted a similar question but could not find the answer. I want to make sure that my seat can go to one of you guys ASAP and not hold up the waitlist with my spot!!

• Care
Hi all, does anyone know how to withdraw their seat after paying the deposit? I emailed admissions but did not receive a reply-I saw someone posted a similar question but could not find the answer. I want to make sure that my seat can go to one of you guys ASAP and not hold up the waitlist with my spot!!
I would give them a call

Nope :( was anxiously waiting all day long. They did make it seem like the class was pretty much full during the interview day though...
I was wondering how many people get accepted post interview at this school including people coming off the waitlist...does this school give a straight out R post interview?

I was wondering how many people get accepted post interview at this school including people coming off the waitlist...does this school give a straight out R post interview?
On their website, it says that of the 699 students interviewed last year they accepted 520 and 206 enrolled. I remember them mentioning that application rates were much higher this year so it's hard to say exactly how everything will play out.

On their website, it says that of the 699 students interviewed last year they accepted 520 and 206 enrolled. I remember them mentioning that application rates were much higher this year so it's hard to say exactly how everything will play out.
Ok!! Thanks for your input.

FYI acceptees- Financial aid hopes to issue award notices by 6/1.

Last edited:
When should we apply for private loans, considering it would be too late to wait for the financial aid awards? And any suggestions as to which banks/ loan vendors give decent interest for student loans? I know sofi and Sally Mae do, but I would like to know what yall think.
Unless you have crazy good credit or a parent willing to cosign with you I would go with federal loans. I know no one in my class that took private loans over federal loans.

Does anyone know the exact hospitals ACOM has clinical rotations at? I cannot find the information anywhere):
Here they are grouped by region:
North-
Boaz - Marshall Medical North, Marshall Medical South
Cullman - Cullman Regional
Decatur - Decatur Morgan/Parker
Florence - North Alabama Medical
Gadsden - Gadsden Regional
Guntersville - Shared site with Boaz
Huntsville - Crestwood Medical
Sheffield - Hellen Keller Hospital

South-
Bay Minette - North Baldwin Infirmary
Brewton - DW McMillan
Fairhope - Thomas Hospital
Foley - South Baldwin Regional
Gulfport - Memorial Hospital and Physician Clinics
Mobile - Altapointe - Providence Hospital
Mobile - Franklin - Franklin Primary Health Center
Mobile - Infirmary - Mobile Infirmary
Mobile - Springhill - Springhill Medical
Pensacola - Santa Rosa - Santa Rosa Medical
Pensacola - West Florida - West Florida Hospital

Southeast-
Lake City - Lake Center Medical
Leesburg - UF/Leesburg, UF/The Villages
Panama City - Gulf Coast Regional, Ascension Sacred Heart
Tallahassee - Capital Regional, Tallahassee Memorial

Central-
Alexander City - Russell Medical, Stringfellow Memorial
Anniston - Regional Medical Center Anniston
Birmingham - St. Vincent East (part of Ascension Health), ChristHealth Center
Centreville - Bibb Medical Center, Medical West Hospital
Dothan - Southeast Health
Montgomery - Jackson Hospital
Selma - Vaughan Regional
Sylacauga - Coosa Valley Medical

Several sites share preceptors though. Like all the Mobile sites share with Foley, Bay Minette and Fairhope, Decatur with Huntsville and both the Pensacola sites. Also the list is already out of date I think we added 3 more rotation sites and closed one.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Here they are grouped by region:
North-
Boaz - Marshall Medical North, Marshall Medical South
Cullman - Cullman Regional
Decatur - Decatur Morgan/Parker
Florence - North Alabama Medical
Gadsden - Gadsden Regional
Guntersville - Shared site with Boaz
Huntsville - Crestwood Medical
Sheffield - Hellen Keller Hospital

South-
Bay Minette - North Baldwin Infirmary
Brewton - DW McMillan
Fairhope - Thomas Hospital
Foley - South Baldwin Regional
Gulfport - Memorial Hospital and Physician Clinics
Mobile - Altapointe - Providence Hospital
Mobile - Franklin - Franklin Primary Health Center
Mobile - Infirmary - Mobile Infirmary
Mobile - Springhill - Springhill Medical
Pensacola - Santa Rosa - Santa Rosa Medical
Pensacola - West Florida - West Florida Hospital

Southeast-
Lake City - Lake Center Medical
Leesburg - UF/Leesburg, UF/The Villages
Panama City - Gulf Coast Regional, Ascension Sacred Heart
Tallahassee - Capital Regional, Tallahassee Memorial

Central-
Alexander City - Russell Medical, Stringfellow Memorial
Anniston - Regional Medical Center Anniston
Birmingham - St. Vincent East (part of Ascension Health), ChristHealth Center
Centreville - Bibb Medical Center, Medical West Hospital
Dothan - Southeast Health
Montgomery - Jackson Hospital
Selma - Vaughan Regional
Sylacauga - Coosa Valley Medical

Several sites share preceptors though. Like all the Mobile sites share with Foley, Bay Minette and Fairhope, Decatur with Huntsville and both the Pensacola sites. Also the list is already out of date I think we added 3 more rotation sites and closed one.
I heard the leesburg site is relatively new and isn’t the greatest. Can you speak on which sites are most favorable for individuals wanting to establish strong connections for competitive specialties?

I heard the leesburg site is relatively new and isn’t the greatest. Can you speak on which sites are most favorable for individuals wanting to establish strong connections for competitive specialties?
The health system at Leesburg is being acquired by Univ of Florida. Not sure about the quality but UF students are rotating through the site and last I heard UF was going to start several residency programs there. The population is skewed towards geriatric.

Connections I'd say Mobile hub (because you have like 8 sites there plus FM/IM/Psych wards and Univ. of South Alabama) followed by Pensacola (West Florida is HCA which is starting like 8 different residency programs in the next 5 years). It really depends on what you're going for though. Like the Selma site has a FM program affiliated with UAB and one of the directors at Mobile can help get you into the Psych program etc.