2020-2021 Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

I don’t see how they couldn’t accept you when you’re that close tbh
If only. LOL. I currently live 2 miles from a DO school that didn't even give my app the time of day. Super frustrating when your stats are much higher than their averages. I would LOVE to be able to stay here.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else anxiously awaiting PMAP decisions for tomorrow?!

Reactions: 1 user
I live 5 minutes away from U of A Tucson, it would be a lot more cost effective if I were to go there... I hope we all get accepted.
This whole cycle has been more than stressful. SMH
I don’t see how they couldn’t accept you when you’re that close tbh

Lol let’s hope—I’m also a 5 min bike ride from campus on Mountain! Crossing my fingers for us all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I gave in and Facebook Stalk the Class of 2025 group and saw that there are 107 Members. If those actually reflect the number of accepted students so far I am thinking that there are more acceptance left from this school. Maybe it is not over yet????

Well, I gave in and Facebook Stalk the Class of 2025 group and saw that there are 107 Members. If those actually reflect the number of accepted students so far I am thinking that there are more acceptance left from this school. Maybe it is not over yet????
I'm certain that there are still acceptances left. There are some students that aren't going to be in that FB group and some students that are currently in it will probably be joining other schools that they prefer more.

And a lot of times those groups have current students and admin too. Fingers crossed!

Somehow I feel like if you have a low stats you will be at a disadvantage since you will have a low rank because of that.
Correct me please if I am wrong.

Somehow I feel like if you have a low stats you will be at a disadvantage since you will have a low rank because of that.
Correct me please if I am wrong.
I'm not sure what you're asking. Lower stats will inevitably lower your competitiveness, but that seems too obvious.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Lower stats will inevitably lower your competitiveness, but that seems too obvious.

What I was trying to say is that: since they have a ranking system, lower stats applicants, might not receive the call and maybe will be waitlisted or rejected... which means that higher stats applicants are at an advantage in this system.

What I was trying to say is that: since they have a ranking system, lower stats applicants, might not receive the call and maybe will be waitlisted or rejected... which means that higher stats applicants are at an advantage in this system.
Yes, applicants who have lower GPAs/MCAT are less competitive at every medical school. That's kinda the point of measuring academic ability/achievement. Having a higher GPA/MCAT gives those applicants an advantage in all systems.

The ranking system at this school is just another variation of the same advantage.

Here's specific data for how GPA/MCAT affects chances of admission at all US schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you also have to consider that based on the document that @SmellGud shared earlier in the thread, you're not only being ranked based on stats. It seems like U of A Tucson gives you a score based on several different parameters. In other words, it sounds like they're rating you based on your secondary essays, your MMI scores, and other factors as well. So you get an average score based on how well you're perceived in each of those areas. That means a person with high stats and poor interviewing and essay-writing skills and who doesn't align with the school's mission could be rejected while a person with lower stats who has those more relational skills and aligns well with the school's mission could be accepted or at least waitlisted. In theory, anyway. It's impossible to really know the details of how exactly this all happens unless you're actually privy to what goes on in these committee meetings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Yes, applicants who have lower GPAs/MCAT are less competitive at every medical school. That's kinda the point of measuring academic ability/achievement. Having a higher GPA/MCAT gives those applicants an advantage in all systems.

The ranking system at this school is just another variation of the same
advantage.

Here's specific data for how GPA/MCAT affects chances of admission at all US schools.

I guess, I might not receive the call then... I am not going to have high hoped here.
Thank you very much for the info.

• Care
I guess, I might not receive the call then... I am not going to have high hoped here.
Thank you very much for the info.
Don't get discouraged! There's so much more that goes into apps than numbers. While higher stats might help your app, I wouldn't say that people with higher scores are always at an advantage--someone with great stats and non-impressive extracurriculars isn't in a better position than someone with lower scores and an overall great profile. Obviously everyone's different, but my friends with the higher stats (some of them have over 520 on the MCAT) are actually the ones who haven't gotten in anywhere this cycle, and friends with lower stats have--it's interesting how it all works.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Don’t go off the FB numbers, there are a bunch of students from other classes in that FB group to answer questions from new admits.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't get discouraged! There's so much more that goes into apps than numbers. While higher stats might help your app, I wouldn't say that people with higher scores are always at an advantage--someone with great stats and non-impressive extracurriculars isn't in a better position than someone with lower scores and an overall great profile. Obviously everyone's different, but my friends with the higher stats (some of them have over 520 on the MCAT) are actually the ones who haven't gotten in anywhere this cycle, and friends with lower stats have--it's interesting how it all works.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I will try not to get discouraged. Hopefully we get accepted. I truly believe that every applicant for this tear should be accepted especially after how much difficult and stressful this cycle is.

How’s everyone hanging in there? I’m anxious out of my mind today. I feel like everything is riding on today for me and I don’t know how I’ll deal with it if I don’t get in. Anyone else relate or got any advice?

How’s everyone hanging in there? I’m anxious out of my mind today. I feel like everything is riding on today for me and I don’t know how I’ll deal with it if I don’t get in. Anyone else relate or got any advice?
Honestly, I'm pretty nervous too, but I know it won't be the end of the world if I don't get it. There will always be future cycles in which I can apply and a single rejection will not deter my desire to be a physician.

Honestly, I'm pretty nervous too, but I know it won't be the end of the world if I don't get it. There will always be future cycles in which I can apply and a single rejection will not deter my desire to be a physician.
I just don’t want a repeat of how this past year has gone. I’m at a job I don’t like and I already feel old. Everything would just feel perfect if I get in you know?

I don’t think they made decisions today. We would’ve had the email by now.

I mean some of the emails have come as late as about 4:45 PM MST. We don't know that they haven't made decisions today.
Oh I didnt realize that, thanks. I’ve been getting updates around the same time for a while. I thought it was a set thing.

Anyone got any Pros they can think of if they don’t get in?
Personally, I don't feel anxious about getting in (although I've had multiple dreams about this school in particular so maybe I'm subconsciously more anxious than I realize). Don't get me wrong; I want to get in this year, but if I don't I'll continue doing what I'm currently doing (healthcare field), improve my application, and reapply. I laughed when you said you already feel old bc I'm a non-trad and can (kind of) relate. I'll be 30 this year. At this point in the cycle, though, I really just want the final decision so that I can decide how to orient myself for the future, if that makes sense.

And to answer your question about pros of not getting in, 2020 was a year of immense personal development for me. One pro I can think of is that if I don't get in, I'll have another year to continue that caliber of development without intense, deadline-driven studying and exams calling my attention away from that. I don't necessarily feel like I have to be advancing education-/career-wise to be advancing and working on myself.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
For me, one pro to not getting into Tucson is that the cost for rentals (apartments) has risen faster than any other city in the US. So, affording housing in Tucson next year would probably be a major problem for my family. (Single mom, I need 3 beds for me and the 2 kiddos). Right now Financial Aid has a monthly housing budget of $900. 2 Bedrooms are going for about $1000, and 3 bedrooms are going for around $1500. My kids are not going to be very happy sharing a bedroom for 4 years. A high class problem, but definitely part of my considerations.

For me I cannot think of pros, because financially Tucson will be the best, my husband goes to Tucson for grad school, I live with my mother in law and my 3 year old daughter. Moving across the country or the state will be very difficult for my family. Especially since I leave close to the Tucson Campus, I will not have to worry too much about the cost of living vs if I were to move somewhere else. Maybe If I get in I might not like the curriculum ??? That I cannot really say because I dont have much of knowledge about it.
I am lucky I have other acceptances and I truly feel blessed. It is just that I tried my best to maintain the balance between my workload as a grad school student and a mother, and I want to still be close to my daughter and spend as much time as possible with her.
By the way I am non traditional as well turning 29 this year. Took me 6 gap years 4 MCATs, and a Masters degree to be where I am at today.
Whenever I feel down You guys make me realize that I am not alone in this process.
I don’t know any of you, but I want to tell you that I am grateful to have people like you during this stressful process.
Thanks to all of you.

• Love
I think of it as more time to gain experiences and make connections. I am about to turn 31, didn’t decide I wanted to study medicine until I was 25. It has taken me years of hard work, getting a masters, and multiple MCAT attempts as well to get to this point. Not to mention personal challenges that I have learned and grown from. I’m ok with reapplying if needed because every year that has passed has provided me with new perspectives and made me a more resilient person. I think this will make me a better physician one day. Determination and perseverance will get you to where you want to be no matter the setback! Never lose hope!

Personally, I don't feel anxious about getting in (although I've had multiple dreams about this school in particular so maybe I'm subconsciously more anxious than I realize). Don't get me wrong; I want to get in this year, but if I don't I'll continue doing what I'm currently doing (healthcare field), improve my application, and reapply. I laughed when you said you already feel old bc I'm a non-trad and can (kind of) relate. I'll be 30 this year. At this point in the cycle, though, I really just want the final decision so that I can decide how to orient myself for the future, if that makes sense.

And to answer your question about pros of not getting in, 2020 was a year of immense personal development for me. One pro I can think of is that if I don't get in, I'll have another year to continue that caliber of development without intense, deadline-driven studying and exams calling my attention away from that. I don't necessarily feel like I have to be advancing education-/career-wise to be advancing and working on myself.
I really relate to your sentiment here! I am OOS and have really tried to embrace the mentality that I will end up where I am meant to be.

Reading all of these responses it is so clear that the U of A Tucson class of 2025 is going to be really special. Sending positive thoughts to all on here! I really do believe U of A would be lucky to have each of you.

• Love
Anyone else think we won’t hear back today?
Yeah, I think we should've received the status update email by now. Also, since the admissions rep said they issue decisions every 2-3 weeks and I believe they also said they'll send out rejections in late March, I think they'll probably send out acceptances, rejections, and the waitlist next Friday (since 2 weeks from next Friday would be April). Orrr..... maybe they changed their minds and won't do any of that lol. Who knows. Pure speculation on my part.

Yeah, I think we should've received the status update email by now. Also, since the admissions rep said they issue decisions every 2-3 weeks and I believe they also said they'll send out rejections in late March, I think they'll probably send out acceptances, rejections, and the waitlist next Friday (since 2 weeks from next Friday would be April). Orrr..... maybe they changed their minds and won't do any of that lol. Who knows. Pure speculation on my part.
The quote of them saying they will release them in late March was from last cycle, so I wouldn't automatically assume it will apply to this cycle. However, it should still be close. Since they have said that acceptances will come every 2-3 week (this cycle), there should be another wave in one week. Because of how late in the cycle that is, I assume that's when the final acceptances, first post-II rejections, and first WL will be sent. Next Friday is 3/19 and last year all of that happened yet on Friday 3/20.

Last edited by a moderator:
The quote of them saying they will release them in late March was from last cycle, so I wouldn't automatically assume it will apply to this cycle. However, it should still be close. Since they have said that acceptances will come every 2-3 week (this cycle), there should be another wave in one week. Because of how late in the cycle that is, I assume that's when the final acceptances, first post-II rejections, and first WL will be sent. Next Friday is 3/19 and last year all of that happened yet on Friday 3/20.
You're right; for some reason, I thought they made the "end of March" comment during this cycle. I looked back and saw that I had read it on last year's thread. I think you're right in not assuming that the WL and Rs will come out next week. I noticed that there's a document on the website (https://medicine.arizona.edu/sites/default/files/important_dates_2020-2021_com-t_website.pdf) that says the WL and Rs will come out in April. It also says decisions will be announced through April and Second Look will take place in April.

I know someone posted earlier in the thread that Second Look would be the week of March 29 - April 2. I think it's interesting that there may still be acceptances going out in April (according to this chart). I wonder why they would schedule the Second Look for the end of March/beginning of April if they'd still be accepting students during that time... Wouldn't they want all accepted students to have the opportunity to attend Second Look? Anyway, I'm not going to try to figure it out. Just thought I'd share that document since I had never noticed it before.

You're right; for some reason, I thought they made the "end of March" comment during this cycle. I looked back and saw that I had read it on last year's thread. I think you're right in not assuming that the WL and Rs will come out next week. I noticed that there's a document on the website (https://medicine.arizona.edu/sites/default/files/important_dates_2020-2021_com-t_website.pdf) that says the WL and Rs will come out in April. It also says decisions will be announced through April and Second Look will take place in April.

I know someone posted earlier in the thread that Second Look would be the week of March 29 - April 2. I think it's interesting that there may still be acceptances going out in April (according to this chart). I wonder why they would schedule the Second Look for the end of March/beginning of April if they'd still be accepting students during that time... Wouldn't they want all accepted students to have the opportunity to attend Second Look? Anyway, I'm not going to try to figure it out. Just thought I'd share that document since I had never noticed it before.
That's really interesting. I haven't seen that document before. I was basing my guess of the WL coming out next week on last year's timeline. If there is an official timeline for this year, I definitely think that it's more correct.

So this next round will be the last acceptances that aren’t from the waitlists?

So this next round will be the last acceptances that aren’t from the waitlists?
It can't be if the website is correct. There should be another wave of acceptance is next week, which would be 3 weeks since the last one. But the website also says that waitlists and rejections will come out in April, so there has to be another wave of acceptances without waitlists or rejections.

It can't be if the website is correct. There should be another wave of acceptance is next week, which would be 3 weeks since the last one. But the website also says that waitlists and rejections will come out in April, so there has to be another wave of acceptances without waitlists or rejections.
But after the next round, two weeks would be early April. You think waitlists and rejections will be late April?

Yes this is literally me! Age-non-trad-feelings. Just kind of like can you tell me what's going on so I can decide my next steps.

• Love
Got post-interview rejected from the PMAP program today! Not even put on the alternate list.. not sure what went wrong/: So, really hoping for some good news from the MD program Friday 🤞🏼

• Care
Got post-interview rejected from the PMAP program today! Not even put on the alternate list.. not sure what went wrong/: So, really hoping for some good news from the MD program Friday 🤞🏼
What is the PMAP?

What is the PMAP?
Pre-Medical admission pathway. Similar to the pathway scholars program for UA Phx if you are familiar with that. It’s a one year conditional acceptance masters program for UA COM T

Pre-Medical admission pathway. Similar to the pathway scholars program for UA Phx if you are familiar with that. It’s a one year conditional acceptance masters program for UA COM T
Gotcha. Yes, I am familiar with the Phoenix PSP/SMP. I got rejected from both the Phoenix MD program and SMP. Definitely hoping for good news for both of us this Friday. :)

• Care
@AdmissionsOffice could you tell us when we can expect the waitlist and/or how many acceptances you have given out to date?

According to UArizona's website, the "Waitlist and Rejection Notices" will come out sometime during "April 2021" (Source). Last year, on 02/24/2020, the Admissions Office said, "We have admitted 115 students as of today. We admit around 250 students every year with an entering class of 120 every year." (Source) Because this year's interviews and WL were/are significantly delayed compared to last cycle (last year's WL came out on 03/20/2020), it seems reasonable to assume that there have been approximately 115 acceptances given out this cycle so far. In other words, I'm guessing that less than half of the acceptances that will go out this year have already been sent. There's still hope!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Although I'm hoping for some good news tomorrow, I realized that it's also Match Day tomorrow so we may be waiting another week. Here's to hoping though!

• Care