2020-2021 Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What other people who have been accepted recently mind sharing their stats? I'm curious to see where they are at in the rankings.

Members don't see this ad.

OMG!!!!!! CONGRATSSSSSSS. And thank you for telling us!

Congrats, and be sure to celebrate, future doctor! :)

CONGRATS!!! May I ask when you interviewed?

Congrats! When did you interview?

Congratulations!!!

Congrats!!! Were you on the Interview Waitlist by any chance?

CONGRATS!!!!!! THATS AMAZING!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO YAYAYAYAYYAYYAYYAYAYAY
Thank you for the well wishes everyone! G-d willing, may yours come soon! 💕🥰

I was on the waitlist in October and it took a week to get off. I will PM you my interview date, as I don't feel so comfortable with the possibility of being identified. (EDIT) I'm sorry I have no idea why its not letting me go on your profiles, but would you guys please send me a PM?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone find a good last minute molecular biology course through an extension?

Anyone find a good last minute molecular biology course through an extension?

This has been discussed earlier in the thread, and this is the one that was recommended. The class starts tomorrow.

This has been discussed earlier in the thread, and this is the one that was recommended. The class starts tomorrow.
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm no longer seeing that we specifically need molecular biology as long as we have at least two of the other courses listed?

From the admissions requirements website: "upper-division of any two from different disciplines of the following: Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Histology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Pathology, or Immunobiology"

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm no longer seeing that we specifically need molecular biology as long as we have at least two of the other courses listed?

From the admissions requirements website: "upper-division of any two from different disciplines of the following: Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Histology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Pathology, or Immunobiology"
That's correct. They updated their requirements!

Whoa, they must have updated it on Friday. I checked a couple of days ago and it said differently!

Reactions: 1 user
Cell/Molecular Bio and Microbiology are both waitlisted rn on UCSD Extension. Genetics is open though.

I also have a 510 MCAT, 3.9 sGPA, 3.8 cum GPA. I don't have any research, b/c non-trad all pre-recs for med school at Community College. :)

I do have around 40 hours shadowing, 300 working as CNA, and 2000 volunteering at Drug & Alcohol treatment centers (counselor.) I also have a **** ton of volunteer hours at the food pantry, and for Head Start. I was a professional musician for 20+ years, and toured internationally. I think I have terrible intervieving skills. LOL.
Thanks for responding! Did you get in?

D5884EF2-A2A5-4C4E-9769-AE6CB0002803.png
Anyone else wondering why the school is holding a second look this week? I understand they want to help accepted students finalize their choice but it kind of dashes the hopes of everyone still waiting to hear back. They should have sent out formal rejections and waitlist before second look, IMO.

View attachment 333704Anyone else wondering why the school is holding a second look this week? I understand they want to help accepted students finalize their choice but it kind of dashes the hopes of everyone still waiting to hear back. They should have sent out formal rejections and waitlist before second look, IMO.
Yeah, it seems like the rest of us who haven’t heard back are getting WL or Rs soon. UA Tucson has really disappointed me :/

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
You think they’ll give us an update this Friday? Since it seems like they’re wrapping up the cycle.

You think they’ll give us an update this Friday? Since it seems like they’re wrapping up the cycle.
To be honest, nobody really knows. They said that application updates come every 2-3 weeks. Last Friday, it had been 4 weeks (which was the only time it was different than 2-3). What we do know is that the WL will be coming in "April 2021". Whether that is this Friday, next Friday, or the one after that is anyone's guess. However, I would not at all be surprised if it came this Friday.

I’m spiraling and looking at the threads from the previous three years. Some years it seems that there’s lots of movement off the waitlist sometimes it seems like there’s none at all. It’s. not easy being optimistic considering there was a huge spike in applications this cycle. I’m doing my best to stay hopeful though. It would help if they gave us a little more information though 😞. @AdmissionsOffice please 🥲

I’m spiraling and looking at the threads from the previous three years. Some years it seems that there’s lots of movement off the waitlist sometimes it seems like there’s none at all. It’s. not easy being optimistic considering there was a huge spike in applications this cycle. I’m doing my best to stay hopeful though. It would help if they gave us a little more information though 😞. @AdmissionsOffice please 🥲
According to MSAR, there is typically a WL of 35-50 students with about 25 of those getting accepted. (Source) Also, there was an 18% national spike in AMCAS applications, but Tucson actually reported about a 9% decline in applications. (This is likely attributable to the far more stringent prerequisites.)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
According to MSAR, there is typically a WL of 35-50 students with about 25 of those getting accepted. (Source) Also, there was an 18% national spike in AMCAS applications, but Tucson actually reported about a 9% decline in applications. (This is likely attributable to the far more stringent prerequisites.)
Thanks for this. That helped

Thanks for this. That helped
No problem.

To give a little more details, Tucson had 9563 total applications last year (770 IS/8710 OOS). (Souce) According to their admissions tracker, they currently have 8636 total applications (866 IS/7770 OOS). That is a 12.5% spike for IS applicants (still not as bad as the 18% national average) and a 10.8% decrease in OOS applications. Thus, it's more competitive for IS this year and less competitive (at least by the numbers) for OOS. Total, the OOS decline in applications means that there was a 9.7% decrease in total applications.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
No problem.

To give a little more details, Tucson had 9563 total applications last year (770 IS/8710 OOS). (Souce) According to their admissions tracker, they currently have 8636 total applications (866 IS/7770 OOS). That is a 12.5% spike for IS applicants (still not as bad as the 18% national average) and a 10.8% decrease in OOS applications. Thus, it's more competitive for IS this year and less competitive (at least by the numbers) for OOS. Total, the OOS decline in applications means that there was a 9.7% decrease in total applications.
You are the MVP of SDN! I really hope you get accepted.

• Care
I was just going to say I am so grateful for all of the statistics you provide! @SmellGud thank you for being so helpful on here. I hope we both (and all of us here) are accepted and are classmates one day
No problem! We're all nervous, and I might as well share everything I learn when I neurotically scroll the web for anything that gives me peace of mind. Good luck to you this cycle!

Anyone else wondering why the school is holding a second look this week? I understand they want to help accepted students finalize their choice but it kind of dashes the hopes of everyone still waiting to hear back. They should have sent out formal rejections and waitlist before second look, IMO.
Just to offer a different perspective... It is no small task to schedule events that require large numbers of high level administrators, so I'm sure this had been scheduled months ago. Additionally, no admissions committee in the country knew what to expect this year when it came to the rate of return on admits. While it's unfortunate that many of you are still in limbo, yet not able to attend 2nd look, maybe 2nd look will finalize in the minds of some currently admitted students that they don't want to attend COM-T, which would subsequently open up spaces for (many of?) you. If you're still waiting to hear back, be positive that you're still in the running!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users

From the demons requirements website: "upper-division of any two from different disciplines of the following: Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Histology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Pathology, or Immunobiology"
Hello! We did recently update our requirements for the 2021-2022 application cycle. If you are applying for the 2020-2021 application cycle the existing requirements still apply.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! We did recently update our requirements for the 2021-2022 Easter egg collection cycle. If you are applying for the 2020-2021 Easter egg collection cycle the existing requirements still hop.
What? lol

• Haha
Looks like @AdmissionsOffice was a victim of the annual SDN Apr*l Fo0l’s Day prank. lol. If you go to the main page, there are several threads explaining what words were swapped.. e.g. adm*ssions = demons, appl*cation = Easter egg collection.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
if im deciding between this campus and the phoenix one - any input on differences or draws or drawbacks?

if im deciding between this campus and the phoenix one - any input on differences or draws or drawbacks?
@Saganomics posted about this wayyy back in the thread. I'd add that there's quite a bit to do outdoors within an hour of Phoenix as well; you may have to look a bit harder for it though. Also, there are a few differences with the distinction tracks, so if you're interested, I'd take that into my decision-making as well.

Here's @Saganomics' quote:

Phoenix
  • "Distributive Model" for clerkships -- tons of different healthcare systems in Phoenix means more variety
  • Larger city, more to do
  • Newer facilities, a lot of cooperation with other local universities
  • Anatomy labs are all-virtual through the pandemic
  • State agencies / legislature are in Phoenix, so you can be more involved in advocacy
Tucson
  • Academic hospital is a hallway away from the med school
  • Older, more established school -- lots of connections / CUP clinics within the city to get involved in
  • Anatomy labs still rely on donors
  • Quality of Life seems better to me, not as crowded, great public exercise facilities like the Chuck Huckleberry Loop
  • Great hiking/climbing within an hour

Definitely ask in the PHX thread too, though, bc you may get biased responses here ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Saganomics posted about this wayyy back in the thread. I'd add that there's quite a bit to do outdoors within an hour of Phoenix as well; you may have to look a bit harder for it though. Also, there are a few differences with the distinction tracks, so if you're interested, I'd take that into my decision-making as well.

Here's @Saganomics' quote:

Phoenix
  • "Distributive Model" for clerkships -- tons of different healthcare systems in Phoenix means more variety
  • Larger city, more to do
  • Newer facilities, a lot of cooperation with other local universities
  • Anatomy labs are all-virtual through the pandemic
  • State agencies / legislature are in Phoenix, so you can be more involved in advocacy
Tucson
  • Academic hospital is a hallway away from the med school
  • Older, more established school -- lots of connections / CUP clinics within the city to get involved in
  • Anatomy labs still rely on donors
  • Quality of Life seems better to me, not as crowded, great public exercise facilities like the Chuck Huckleberry Loop
  • Great hiking/climbing within an hour

Definitely ask in the PHX thread too, though, bc you may get biased responses here ;)

Looking back on this post, I’m surprised I missed such a big one — UACOM-P requires a student research project in order to graduate.

Also figured I’d throw in this picture of UA Tucson’s match list though I haven’t been able to find one that links to residency location and specialty.

Hope it helps with your decision! Good luck! :)

4A3E4A8F-66B4-45F7-AB4D-C1BF93F1831C.jpeg

I wonder if we’ll hear anything today. Crossing my fingers we do 🤞🏾.

Does anyone know if the admissions committee reevaluates us/changes our applicant scores throughout the cycle (assuming they are still doing that 1-5 scale that someone mentioned earlier)?

Does anyone know if the admissions committee reevaluates us/changes our applicant scores throughout the cycle (assuming they are still doing that 1-5 scale that someone mentioned earlier)?
I don't think they ever discussed if they do or don't do that, but I don't know why they would change the score. They don't accept updates, so the content is exactly the same throughout the whole cycle (aside from the interview score). Why would they change scores?

I don't think they ever discussed if they do or don't do that, but I don't know why they would change the score. They don't accept updates, so the content is exactly the same throughout the whole cycle (aside from the interview score). Why would they change scores?
idk... maybe if they had new/different people looking at an app that didn't score high enough to receive an acceptance yet, the new evaluators might rank it higher. Just wishful thinking I guess

idk... maybe if they had new/different people looking at an app that didn't score high enough to receive an acceptance yet, the new evaluators might rank it higher. Just wishful thinking I guess
I'm just an applicant like you, so this is all just speculation, but you should keep in mind that new evaluations could decrease your relative ranking to other applicants just as easily as it could improve it. There's no way to know without reviewing the rankings.

Good luck today everyone! We’ll get through today like every other Friday we’ve gotten through.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
The waitlist will most likely be coming out next week according to the admissions office.

• Love
did they say if they were sending out As as well?
I asked specifically about the WL, and they said that "Final notifications status emails will potentially be sent out by late next week."

Last year, there were post-II rejections and acceptances on the same day as the waitlist. I expect that there will be the same next week, but that is just my speculation based on the above response and last year's thread.

Just got the post interview R as well. OOS with no connections. Would've loved to go there, but oh well! Good luck to those who make it in!

• Care