2020-2021 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a reviewer of osteopathic medical schools, the direction ARCOM is moving is concerning especially since this school has yet to secure its accreditation. First, there seems to be a high faculty turnover, second there are complaints about lack of diversity and intolerance towards other races by both faculty and students.
Random person comes on here to complain and makes harmful blanket statements without any data. Cool, anyone can review a school.

1. Please do elaborate on how we are screwed to get accreditation.

From what I see, things are going pretty damn smooth. Good first time pass rate and decent retention of faculty.

2. Complaints about lack of diversity and intolerance are just plain wrong, man. People are professional complainers and you can't make anyone happy. This is coming from someone who went to a super liberal school and was completely fine with it. I saw how harmful it was to let the complainers take control. They demand more and more and will never be satisfied. Give em an inch and they take a mile. There aren't enough African American students but that's about it from a diversity standpoint.

We have quite a few organizations for students of different ethnicities and sexual orientation. The students don't discriminate, the faculty don't discriminate, and we have some good diversity. Actually spend some time there before making stuff up.

One of three things happened here. You are ex-faculty, you applied and could not get in or get a job here, or you're just blowing smoke. Data please.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I only have an MD letter and got a secondary. My AACOMAS app indicates my intended DO shadowing being interrupted by COVID. If they don't provide a little wiggle room here, they will have a significantly smaller pool to choose from. I wouldn't worry about it.

Second that. I only have MD letters and I got the secondary. Don’t worry!

Reactions: 1 user
Random person comes on here to complain and makes harmful blanket statements without any data. Cool, anyone can review a school.

1. Please do elaborate on how we are screwed to get accreditation.

From what I see, things are going pretty damn smooth. Good first time pass rate and decent retention of faculty.

2. Complaints about lack of diversity and intolerance are just plain wrong, man. People are professional complainers and you can't make anyone happy. This is coming from someone who went to a super liberal school and was completely fine with it. I saw how harmful it was to let the complainers take control. They demand more and more and will never be satisfied. Give em an inch and they take a mile. There aren't enough African American students but that's about it from a diversity standpoint.

We have quite a few organizations for students of different ethnicities and sexual orientation. The students don't discriminate, the faculty don't discriminate, and we have some good diversity. Actually spend some time there before making stuff up.

One of three things happened here. You are ex-faculty, you applied and could not get in or get a job here, or you're just blowing smoke. Data please.

Look at the old post from last year...

" I have been on the waitlist since early January and I am losing hope now seeing the very slow movement. Anyone accepted in the last week or so? "

Definitely second of all three options you listed!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a reviewer of osteopathic medical schools, the direction ARCOM is moving is concerning especially since this school has yet to secure its accreditation. First, there seems to be a high faculty turnover, second there are complaints about lack of diversity and intolerance towards other races by both faculty and students.

Impersonating the COCA in order to hurt a school’s reputation, which you cant even get off the waitlist from not only show how pathetic you are, but also show how unfit you are to be a future physician.
Tbh, I am glad that ARCOM did not make a mistake of accepting you. I am a minority, and I have never felt more welcomed here at ARCOM and in this beautiful town.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Check your spam folders my friends. I found the secondary there

Please describe a difficult time in your life and how you overcame it. Limit your response to 2-3 paragraphs. *

Please tell us about a time you felt proud. Limit your response to 2-3 paragraphs. *

ARCOM students can choose residencies in a wide range of specialties. If you had to pick today, what top 2 specialties would you be interested in learning more about? A narrative is not required, please simply list specialties of interest.

Reactions: 1 users
secondary found in spam this morning at 11am. Hoping for that sweet sweet II soon.

Nothing for me, I hope they send me some secondary love :(

I’m in the same boat, I submitted primary June 15th
I submitted primary June 26th and I still haven't gotten anything either. I hope we get something soon ARCOM would be a great place to spend the next 4 years!

Okay, submitted the secondary, then realized too late the requirement for a DO letter. I only have MD letters, and they say that does not count. Should I email admissions or just try and slip under the radar?

Okay, submitted the secondary, then realized too late the requirement for a DO letter. I only have MD letters, and they say that does not count. Should I email admissions or just try and slip under the radar?
In previous years, under normal circumstances, they used to still invite you for an interview even without the DO letter, and ask you to submit it later. Now, with COVID19, there's a lot of uncertainties. Things may or may not be more lenient. I'd try to call them and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have received the secondary invite when was your app complete? thank you!

Reapplicant here. Loved the school first time around, waitlisted last time around January 20th after interviewing Jan 7th. Applied July 17th and verified today, applied much earlier this year, hopefully quicker turn around with everything this time.

Interview invite! In-person .

OOS applicant

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Received secondary last week. Similar/same prompts as previous years

I got an email from them, and it was them saying we see your interest and invite you to apply to our health science program... does this mean I got rejected? Sent 12:01 AM too, these guys be wildin.

I got an email from them, and it was them saying we see your interest and invite you to apply to our health science program... does this mean I got rejected? Sent 12:01 AM too, these guys be wildin.

SAME. The email stated classes started July 2020 so I don't know if this was automatic since we never received a secondary or if it is a silent rejection.

SAME. The email stated classes started July 2020 so I don't know if this was automatic since we never received a secondary or if it is a silent rejection.
I got the same email, I submitted my secondary about 3 days ago. OOS 3.6 513. Hopefully this doesn't mean anything beyond what's in the text.

I got the same email, I submitted my secondary about 3 days ago. OOS 3.6 513. Hopefully this doesn't mean anything beyond what's in the text.

This makes me feel better lol

That gives me relief, maybe they just put us on a mailing list or something. It did say the class starts July 2020... I am sure it would be too late to apply to that anyways.

I got the same email last year and I was already in the masters program there. They send it out to every one who applies to the med school.

If anyone else was wondering, on the DO letter requirement, this year only they have a waiver if you only have an MD letter. You have to state a reason for requesting the waiver, and write a one-page essay on what you know about DO and why you want to pursue it. :)

If anyone else was wondering, on the DO letter requirement, this year only they have a waiver if you only have an MD letter. You have to state a reason for requesting the waiver, and write a one-page essay on what you know about DO and why you want to pursue it. :)

Do we submit this if we get the secondary or email it prior to the secondary?

I received that email as well and I have also received an interview invite. No need to worry about it.

Do we submit this if we get the secondary or email it prior to the secondary?
I’m not sure, I submitted the secondary a few days ago, and they sent me an email with a link to the waiver, basically stating my app was incomplete without it.

Anyone know if they will send out secondaries without a CASPer attached to the primary app??? Submitted my primary on Friday, scheduled to take CASPer 7/30.

Anyone know if they will send out secondaries without a CASPer attached to the primary app??? Submitted my primary on Friday, scheduled to take CASPer 7/30.
Casper is optional. I didn’t take it and got accepted.

" Letter of Recommendation from a DO. A letter from an MD CANNOT be accepted in lieu of a DO letter. "

Does anyone know of any leniency towards this because of COVID-19? I have a MD LOR but my DO shadowing was cancelled. I am still trying to find a DO within my workplace who would be willing to write me a LOR.
They sent me a DO LOR waiver form; you have to fill out that form and attach a one page essay with the prompt "Tell us what you know about the DO profession and why you want to pursue it."

They sent me a DO LOR waiver form; you have to fill out that form and attach a one page essay with the prompt "Tell us what you know about the DO profession and why you want to pursue it."
how long after submitting to AACOMAS did you get a secondary?

Received II. Surprisingly, looks like they are doing in person/on campus interviews.

Do you mind sharing your turnaround time as to when you submitted aacomas and received/submitted secondary?
Of course! I submitted AACOMAS within the first week or so of the application opening (not sure the specific date), I received the secondary on 07/18 and submitted in on 07/20.

Does anyone know how many people they send out secondaries to and how many people they interview?

Does anyone know how many people they send out secondaries to and how many people they interview?
They interviewed 554 this past cycle. I’m not sure how many secondaries were sent out.

My primary was verified 6/13 and I got the secondary invite on 7/18. Submitted 7/19, got the II today! I submitted the DO waiver and they granted it.