2020-2021 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Effectively a pre-II R sent today. They ran out of room for interviews.

I don't feel so good Mr. Stark...

One of my good friends got an A here though with the same stats. The difference was I sent in my primary in December and he did his in like July. That's the way she goes I guess

I don't feel so good Mr. Stark...

One of my good friends got an A here though with the same stats. The difference was I sent in my primary in December and he did his in like July. That's the way she goes I guess
Primary in December is kinda late O_O.

Primary in December is kinda late O_O.
Yeah, a lot of things I had planned last year to complete my application got pushed back and I got some pretty bad advice from my pre-med advisor that it would be fine this year cause of COVID. Obviously it wasn't but now I know. This was before I got on SDN

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I was wondering if there were any current students who could answer questions about research opportunities, studying for USMLE and COMLEX and support when applying for residency? Thank you!

Reactions: 4 users
I have a question for you beautiful souls out there! I’m asking this question on behalf of a dear family member.
She got accepted a school and is beyond thankful and happy about that. However, her top choice of school is ARCOM where she was placed on a waitlist..
Do you think it is fine to tell ARCOM that she has an acceptance to another school but this is her top choice and she’s wondering when she’ll hear back and when the status can change? She has 2 weeks to make the deposit for the school she’s accepted to.. any help will be appreciate!!

I have a question for you beautiful souls out there! I’m asking this question on behalf of a dear family member.
She got accepted a school and is beyond thankful and happy about that. However, her top choice of school is ARCOM where she was placed on a waitlist..
Do you think it is fine to tell ARCOM that she has an acceptance to another school but this is her top choice and she’s wondering when she’ll hear back and when the status can change? She has 2 weeks to make the deposit for the school she’s accepted to.. any help will be appreciate!!
Tough one. I know another person in the same boat. She contacted them trying to get an update on WL movement. But got the canned “thank you for your interest but we don’t provide updates on WL”. I did visit them/tour the facility and it is a great facility and extremely friendly and involved administrators. Haven’t graduated the first class yet. Should see the match list shortly.
Probably not helping much here other than the fact that most DO applicants are facing the “deposit dilemma “!

If ARCOM is her top choice, I strongly recommend sending a letter of interest. I would not discuss the acceptance to the other school as I don’t personally believe that this would be appropriate

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what specific immunizations we need? I checked the long email but couldn't find anything.

How safe is Fort Smith? I was wondering if there were any places off campus that current ARCOM students would recommend living?

Any current ARCOM students know anyone who matched to Diagnostic Radiology residencies? I saw one student matched to one at UAMS, and was curious if I could ask them for advice.

Any current ARCOM students know anyone who matched to Diagnostic Radiology residencies? I saw one student matched to one at UAMS, and was curious if I could ask them for advice.
I only know the one at UAMS. We don't have the full match list yet though. There is also an IR at Penn State.

Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (Inaugural class)
This is the partial match list I got so far:

Family Medicine
UAMS x3
UAMS (Fort Smith) x4
UAMS (Fayetteville)
Spectrum Health (MI)
Unity health (Searcy)
UPMC Altoona (PA)
Providence Hospital (Alaska)
Fort Benning (Columbus GA)
HCA RMC Bayonet Point (Hudson FL)
OK state (Tulsa) x2
Methodist (Houston)
U Wyoming (Casper)
Lutheran (Des Moines)
Comanche County Memorial (Lawton OK)
Baptist Health (North Little Rock) x2
OU (OKC)
Choctaw Nation Talihina (OK) x3

Family Medicine/OMM
Grand Rapids (MI)

OMM
Lynchburg (VA)

Internal Medicine
Ohio Health
Baylor (Temple, TX)
UT (Tyler) x4
Ascension Macomb (Warren, MI)
Riverside University Health System (CA)
UMiss (Jackson)
UIC Advocate Christ (Chicago)
U Louisville
HCA Grand Strand (SC)
UAMS (Fayetteville)
OK State
Unity Health (Searcy, AR) x4
Baptist Memorial (Oxford, MS)
Freeman (Joplin)

Pediatrics
Mercy St. Vincent (Toledo, OH)
UAMS x3
Baylor (San Antonio)
Ok State
OU (OKC)

Medicine/Pediatrics
UI Pioria
LSU Shreveport

Anesthesiology
Cook County (Chicago, IL)
Tower Health (West Reading, PA)

General Surgery
Mercy (Des Moines)
Honor Health (AZ)

Interventional Radiology
Penn State

Diagnostic Radiology
UAMS

Neurosurgery
Michigan State

Dermatology
KCU-GMEC ADCS Orlando

Emergency Medicine
Loyola (Chicago, IL)
Integris Health (OKC)
UT San Antonio
OK State (Lawton OK)
OK State
St. Vincent (Erie PA)
Albert Einstein (PA)

Neurology
Dartmouth
Grandview Kettering Health (Dayton OH)

Orthopedic Surgery
Jack Hughston Memorial (Columbus, GA)

OB/GYN
St. Peters University (NJ)

Psychiatry
OU (OKC)
Unity health (Searcy, AR)

Urology
UAMS

Unknown specialty (??)
?? - UIC Advocate christ chicago
?? - OU Tulsa
?? - UA (Huntsville)
?? - OSU Tulsa

Reactions: 8 users
How safe is Fort Smith? I was wondering if there were any places off campus that current ARCOM students would recommend living?
The side of town that they school is located on is very safe. It borders Barling, AR, a small town. The ‘dangerous’ side is typically considered the downtown area (west side). Everywhere else is about as safe as it gets for a city of 80k+. Fort Smith is also very spread out.... Takes about 20 minutes to get to downtown from the school.

Be warned- April foolery is afoot; SDN seems to be changing words in posts, lol. “Bunny training”

“bless you” instead of “t-h-a-n-k you”

“egg” instead of “m-e-d-i-c-a-l s-t-u-d-e-n-t”

It’s actually pretty funny to go back through this thread and see all the words that have changed 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if the physical exam form can be filled out by an NP/PA?

Does anyone know if the physical exam form can be filled out by an NP/PA?
Great question, mine was filled by an NP.. Tbh I feel like it should be fine but maybe we should contact admissions lol

I just received the email saying there’s not a lot of waitlist movement 😭, but it’ll be mostly movements in May (most likely the end of it). Has anyone heard back on the WL? At least we know it’s not ranked and we have been updated 🥺.

Reapplicant here. Loved the school first time around, waitlisted last time around January 20th after interviewing Jan 7th. Applied July 17th and verified today, applied much earlier this year, hopefully quicker turn around with everything this time.
Random question! When was your application complete the first time you applied? And when did you receive a secondary after you were complete? TIA!

Just to add in, I submitted my secondary on Friday night and had an II on Tuesday. Prob reviewed it Monday. So yeah, 24-48 hours.
Hey when were you complete this cycle? How quickly did you receive a secondary after being complete?
Also- did you get accepted!?
Sorry to back track- just looking through for tends for this next cycle!

Hey when were you complete this cycle? How quickly did you receive a secondary after being complete?
Also- did you get accepted!?
Sorry to back track- just looking through for tends for this next cycle!

Within a few weeks but I also sent an email and got a secondary from there. Advocating for yourself is important. However, it only carries you so far. Got the big fat R after my interview.

Random question! When was your application complete the first time you applied? And when did you receive a secondary after you were complete? TIA!
This cycle was an animal honestly. If you didn't have the grades, I don't think many adcoms bothered overlooking that, which is understandable because with more people they got less and less flexible with who they can let in. I was complete in early August or late July lol. I did not get a secondary this year unfortunately. I did make some changes with my grades so hopefully that helps this coming year.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I just received the email saying there’s not a lot of waitlist movement 😭, but it’ll be mostly movements in May (most likely the end of it). Has anyone heard back on the WL? At least we know it’s not ranked and we have been updated 🥺.
if it makes you feel at all better, I've been accepted to ARCOM but am patiently waiting for waitlist movement at my top choice (closer to home)---so I'm sure there are others like me as well waiting for that domino effect from other schools...all I can say is sit tight and be patient (and also prep for application cycle)...we're in this together :)

Just curious, what should I be expecting at the Welcome Home event coming up?

I really have no place being here. I haven't even taken mcat, but ARCOM seems like a school I could see myself attending. Can any students tell me about their experience? Im just a little nervous since this school seems a bit new. Sorry if I come off as arrogant or obnoxious. Im just looking for student feedback and insight.

Are there any students who currently live at the Haven that I can personally message? I am looking into housing options and had a couple of questions. Thank you!

Hello, I'm an incoming OMS-1 student. When should I start buying the textbooks? Should I buy them all at once?

Hello, I'm an incoming OMS-1 student. When should I start buying the textbooks? Should I buy them all at once?
Don't waste your money on textbooks. The library will have physical copies available for you to take out, and you will also have online access to them as well. Save yourself $2K to do something else. Also, have you guys tried joining the facebook group for your class? Alot of the questions that you guys have can also be asked there, and current OMS1s and 2s may be able to help you better than I can. As an off-campus OMS3, I'm very detached from the current atmosphere on and near campus.

Are there any students who currently live at the Haven that I can personally message? I am looking into housing options and had a couple of questions. Thank you!

Hello to all of the applicants for 2020-2021. Making the decision to join a calss of mecial studnet and chooing the right medical school is in fact has a deep impact in your future professional life.
I am a first year medical student at Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM), ready to answer your questions about ARCOM and helping you to asses if ARCOM is a right choice for you.
hello, please would you know any 4th year student who was in the hot springs rotation site. I am new at ARCOM and need some advice on apartments, how rotation is like, preceptors and all. Thank you

Great info, thank you. And thanks for being in the cohort that's dealing with all this unprecedented stuff! I'm sure it's really hard, but the silver lining is that it's helping the rest of the world deal with the nation's response to medical crisis and preparing medical students for that scenario, too.
hello, please would you know any 4th year student who was in the hot springs rotation site. I am new at ARCOM and need some advice on apartments, how rotation is like, preceptors and all at the Hot Springs rotation site. Thank you

Withdrawing my acceptance here because I got into somewhere closer home. This is such a lovely school with a great environment. Good luck everyone!

Dr strange I wanted to PM you but its not letting me. I would appreciate it if you could message me, thank you. I shouldn't take too much of your time.