2020-2021 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In person interview invite received today

Members don't see this ad.

Primary submitted today.

OOS non-trad. Terrible undergrad GPA. SMP GPA 3.68. Massive upward trend. 501 MCAT. Great LOR. 15 year paramedic. Little to no chance but what the hell?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
aw I submitted 6/11 and haven't received a secondary invite. starting to worry :(

I submitted a couple nights ago and I don’t have a mcat yet. I live in south Florida so we were behind with testing sites and I literally had to take what I could find, which isn’t until weeks from now :(

Some places here are closed again and I’m praying Pearson stays open until I take the mcat and doesn’t close again

I submitted a couple nights ago and I don’t have a mcat yet. I live in south Florida so we were behind with testing sites and I literally had to take what I could find, which isn’t until weeks from now :(

Some places here are closed again and I’m praying Pearson stays open until I take the mcat and doesn’t close again

yea applying this cycle has been tougher than past cycles with so many changes/ things up in the air. hoping it all works out though! :D

Haven't heard anything from them since getting 'your app was rcv'd and is under review' email on 7/7... anyone else? :(

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure to check your spam folders! Mine ended up there even though the initial “We’re reviewing your app” email came to my inbox. I imagine they have a lot to go through, too, since they actually review before the secondary.

submitted secondary 07/20, DO LOR waiver submitted today, and was forward to the director for review. I hope I get that II! really need an excuse to get out of work lol anything would do, even a stressful interview

Submitted primary on 6/15 and received an email saying my app was under review on 7/2. Haven't received a secondary yet (checked spam and wasn't there either). Should I be worried?

Submitted primary on 6/15 and received an email saying my app was under review on 7/2. Haven't received a secondary yet (checked spam and wasn't there either). Should I be worried?
I had the same worry, so I emailed them because maybe they were waiting on my CASPer score to send a secondary? But they said "It looks like your application has not been reviewed yet. The review process has just started this week so give it some time before we reach out to you regarding your application." I got my "app received from AACOMAS and is under review" email on 7/7.

Unlike many other schools that give you the secondary in default as long as you submit your primary, ARCOM actually review it one by one. Hence, please be patient. Additionally, if you receive a secondary, your chance of getting II is high.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current first year here. I submitted my secondary Feb 22(very late I know) and got an interview invite the next day. I went to my interview that same week. Make sure to check your spam email, that's where I found my secondary invite. Also, regarding the CASPER question i believe it is optional. I did my CASPER the night before the interview at an airbnb. I did my CASPER, went to bed, and woke up at 7am for the interview. Please have patience(I was really bad at this so I understand). I applied to 5 schools, went to 3 interviews and was accepted at all 3. I interviewed pretty late so all 3 acceptances were late either in June or July, at the end of the application cycle. I already filled out my AACOMAS for this cycle and was about to start studying for the MCAT again until I got an acceptance!

Reactions: 7 users
Current first year here. I submitted my secondary Feb 22(very late I know) and got an interview invite the next day. I went to my interview that same week. Make sure to check your spam email, that's where I found my secondary invite. Also, regarding the CASPER question i believe it is optional. I did my CASPER the night before the interview at an airbnb. I did my CASPER, went to bed, and woke up at 7am for the interview. Please have patience(I was really bad at this so I understand). I applied to 5 schools, went to 3 interviews and was accepted at all 3. I interviewed pretty late so all 3 acceptances were late either in June or July, at the end of the application cycle. I already filled out my AACOMAS for this cycle and was about to start studying for the MCAT again until I got an acceptance!
Do you mind sharing stats?

You seem so chill...I need to be more like you haha

Reactions: 1 users
Do you mind sharing stats?
Undergrad: 3.4 cGPA 3.0 sGPA. Master at KCUMB 3.6. MCAT 500

I wrote a LOI to KCU but ended up attending ARCOM bc personal reasons. I've only been in Fort Smith for 2 weeks but I love it here! Out of all my interviews, ARCOM was by far my favorite. Interviews are with a non faculty community member and an ARCOM faculty. Interviews are 30 minutes and it was very laid back. I also loved that they only interview 13-16 students per interview date. The staff and faculty want to get to know you personally! For me, my nickname and my legal name is completely different. I would email Kelly and Janie(3 months after my interview date) and sign with my legal name. They both replied using the name I told them on interview day. I know it's weird, but it's the little things you know.

Reactions: 7 users
Undergrad: 3.4 cGPA 3.0 sGPA. Master at KCUMB 3.6. MCAT 500

I wrote a LOI to KCU but ended up attending ARCOM bc personal reasons. I've only been in Fort Smith for 2 weeks but I love it here! Out of all my interviews, ARCOM was by far my favorite. Interviews are with a non faculty community member and an ARCOM faculty. Interviews are 30 minutes and it was very laid back. I also loved that they only interview 13-16 students per interview date. The staff and faculty want to get to know you personally! For me, my nickname and my legal name is completely different. I would email Kelly and Janie(3 months after my interview date) and sign with my legal name. They both replied using the name I told them on interview day. I know it's weird, but it's the little things you know.
I love this.
Thank you for your feedback! Good luck in med school!!

submitted secondary 07/20, DO LOR waiver submitted today, and was forward to the director for review. I hope I get that II! really need an excuse to get out of work lol anything would do, even a stressful interview
DO waiver? What is this? I only have MD letter too. What do I need to do?

DO waiver? What is this? I only have MD letter too. What do I need to do?
AECOM traditionally requires DO letter, but due to COVID they are taking MD letter. They emailed me the waiver after I submitted my secondary. You have to state your reasons and attached a one-page essay.

Hello, ARCOM is close by to the two hospitals in the fort smith city that have limited capacity and can not contain all of the ARCOM students for third year. But, please keep in mind that "No hospital is affiliated with ARCOM".
Medical schools that have affiliated hospital can easily fit their students after third year in their own hospital (for example in the Corono virus crisis they can easily mange their student concerns through the school). In ARCOM, after second year, students are mostly distributed around Arkansas and some of the neighbor states and they have to rotate after couple of months.
It is some thing that an applicant should carefully assess before applying for schools like ARCOM. For example, It means that the senior students have to find new accommodations or arrangements each time they rotate to different hospital and that is beside the concern that how well these hospitals actullay treat and attempt to train the rotating students.
Hello! I just got an invite for an in-
Hello to all of the applicants for 2020-2021. Making the decision to join a calss of mecial studnet and chooing the right medical school is in fact has a deep impact in your future professional life.
I am a first year medical student at Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM), ready to answer your questions about ARCOM and helping you to asses if ARCOM is a right choice for you.
Thank you so much for all of your help. I just received an invite for an in-person interview today. I am an out of state applicant, I am wondering how they are conducting in-person interviews amidst the pandemic? Are you worried that ARCOM will not gain accreditation? What tips do you have for interviewing?

II just now after I submitted my DO letter waiver.

Reactions: 3 users
For those working in healthcare currently or concerned about the pandemic and interviewing in person...call the admissions office, they are willing to make accommodations for a virtual interview.
For the in person interview...they are requiring face masks, will be doing temperature screenings, and enforcing social distancing.

Do you mind sharing an idea of the interview dates?
Sorry for the confusion, I only got the "you're invited" email, the link to register my interview dates is on its way according to the email. I will let you know once I registered.

When I scheduled, August 18th and 21st were available. I still haven't gotten the "official link" but you can schedule it in the portal!

If I have not gotten a secondary by now, should I be worried? Finished and verified my AACOMAS during May :(

If I have not gotten a secondary by now, should I be worried? Finished and verified my AACOMAS during May :(
No, the trend from previous years is that they only send secondaries to people they plan on interviewing. Usually people get their interview invites within 2-5 days of submitting their secondaries. It's not like the default secondary invite you get from other schools, and then they just ignore you for several weeks to months before they tell you anything.

No, the trend from previous years is that they only send secondaries to people they plan on interviewing. Usually people get their interview invites within 2-5 days of submitting their secondaries. It's not like the default secondary invite you get from other schools, and then they just ignore you for several weeks to months before they tell you anything.
When do rejections get posted for this school? I am wondering if I am in that R pile.

When do rejections get posted for this school? I am wondering if I am in that R pile.
I don't think they send out rejections to people they don't interview. Just be patient, you may get a secondary tomorrow or all the way in March when the last interviews are. Or you may never hear back from the school and get the silent rejection treatment.

I did not receive a secondary until months after I was verified. However, I was in a smp and waited until my first semester GPA came out in December. I nailed that first semester and sent ARCOM my updated gpa at the masters program. Got a secondary right after that. If you are in the same boat, I would advise you to keep updating them, whether it's new GPA or new MCAT scores.

Has anyone who does NOT have a MCAT score on file received a secondary? I’m wondering if I have a silent R or if I’m on hold pending MCAT scores.

Has anyone who does NOT have a MCAT score on file received a secondary? I’m wondering if I have a silent R or if I’m on hold pending MCAT scores.
That’s what I’m thinking. They sent me an email saying they have received my email but I’m assuming they are waiting for my August MCAT

That’s what I’m thinking. They sent me an email saying they have received my email but I’m assuming they are waiting for my August MCAT

They sent you an email stating they received your AACOMAS?

Or you emailed them first?

They sent you an email stating they received your AACOMAS?

Or you emailed them first?
They emailed me that they received my AACOMAS, I submitted my primary June 15th, and they sent me the email on 7/2 that they received it

I never received an email from them.
I submitted my AACOMAS on July 18.
That's odd. I submitted my AACOMAS to ARCOM on 7/22 and received an acknowledgement email from them on 7/28. You might want to reach out to them to make sure they've received everything.

That's odd. I submitted my AACOMAS to ARCOM on 7/22 and received an acknowledgement email from them on 7/28. You might want to reach out to them to make sure they've received everything.

Do you mind sharing the admissions email address? On the website, under contact information, only the physical school address and phone number are listed.

*Edit: is it [email protected] ?

Is anyone driving to Arkansas from far away for their in-person appointment? Do you believe I will have difficulty driving to Arkansas from the Northeast?

Is anyone driving to Arkansas from far away for their in-person appointment? Do you believe I will have difficulty driving to Arkansas from the Northeast?
I use to drive from Pennsylvania to Arkansas on the regular. It’s pretty much just interstate, and gets boring. Just takes forever to get there, how long of a drive is it for you?

I use to drive from Pennsylvania to Arkansas on the regular. It’s pretty much just interstate, and gets boring. Just takes forever to get there, how long of a drive is it for you?
Thanks for your reply! I was concerned that some states might stop me from entering or have me do paperwork. Have you recently made the trip? I live somewhat close to Pennsylvania and it will be a 21 hour drive for me. I am in a tough situation because my passport expired and I have a license type that is not accepted for flying. I have the time to make the drive. I am just concerned about having to self-quarantine and somehow being prevented from entering Arkansas.

Thanks for your reply! I was concerned that some states might stop me from entering or have me do paperwork. Have you recently made the trip? I live somewhat close to Pennsylvania and it will be a 21 hour drive for me. I am in a tough situation because my passport expired and I have a license type that is not accepted for flying. I have the time to make the drive. I am just concerned about having to self-quarantine and somehow being prevented from entering Arkansas.
I actually made the trip early June and didn’t have any issues, so you’ll be fine!