2020-2021 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you, that is interesting. By community, do you mean the broader medical community? Or are you referring to the school itself? Thank you again.

Not the whole school, but the osteopathic medical school in particular. I don’t know if the pushback is just from the medical preceptors in the community or the community at large. There is some weird political stuff in the background too that may be fueling the fire. I don’t really know, that is just what I have heard from people who are affiliated with the program.

Members don't see this ad.

For current students, do you feel like you have good support with scheduling rotations/ applying to specialities outside of IM or FM or is there pushback from staff/professors?

can anyone tell me if arcom gives scheduled time for dedicated study? On the current academic calendar it says that OMS2 ends around may 27th and OMS3 starts around july 5th so there's not exactly a long time in between those two time frames. just curious, thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone tell me if arcom gives scheduled time for dedicated study? On the current academic calendar it says that OMS2 ends around may 27th and OMS3 starts around july 5th so there's not exactly a long time in between those two time frames. just curious, thanks for the help!
Technically you actually finish all your finals by the second week of April in your second year. So you got about 2 months and a half. And I know people that take there level 1 exam well into 3rd year. It's just hard studying for boards while on rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
For current students, do you feel like you have good support with scheduling rotations/ applying to specialities outside of IM or FM or is there pushback from staff/professors?
Lol no one will force you into primary care if that's not what you want. We have physicians in many different specialties working at or for the school. Build a competitive app for the specialty you want, and you'll get plenty of support to apply into it.

Reactions: 1 user

Technically you actually finish all your finals by the second week of April in your second year. So you got about 2 months and a half. And I know people that take there level 1 exam well into 3rd year. It's just hard studying for boards while on rotations.
Also wanted to add that you have a vacation month and a Non-Clinical month which can be used for board study that you can schedule anytime you want during 3rd year. So technically you could have a full 4 months and a half if you wanted to. Although I wouldn't recommend it because that means once you start rotations it's gonna be non-stop, and burn out during clinicals can hit you pretty hard at the end.

Thank you for letting me know. If you don't mind me asking, was the remediation exam extra difficult? Otherwise, wouldn't it be easier to pass? I hope you get to repeat however.

I will probably go with NYIT now tbh, it seems like they have more support. Thank you again and I hope it works out for you.
I can't speak for first semesters remediation exam but second semester's exam wasn't doable. It tested over everything that you cover in second semester in 12 days. Which you'll realize that will be impossible to do when you see the volume and detail of information. All the information that was covered in second semester comes out to be over 620 pages of information to review and they can pick any detail out of it. Imagine rereading a book of 620 pages in 12 days and then be asked to remember any detail from it.. (not high yield board stuff) lol. If you think that's ridiculous, you would be correct. So that's why everyone who had the chance to take it, failed. In the past it wasn't like that and the would pass the remediation exam.. take boards.. pass. and then be set up to graduate because rotations are much easier. It's Just how it's done now. Honestly, If you were to give that exam to those who got A's in the course they would be very hard pressed to pass it, as well. Which is probably about 10% of the class who got A's and moved on. The majority score between barely passing (70%) to a B. About 30-40 students was either barely passing or failing before the last exam in second semester so if they didn't do well on that then they were certainly going to have to take the exam.. then fail.. and then redo the whole year. Luckily that last exam is pretty easy compared to the other ones, as long as, you didn't do too much damage on the 4 exams before it.

With that being said, I do think there are some people who are here to help you. During the courses anyways. Depending on the professor lol.

I can't speak for first semesters remediation exam but second semester's exam wasn't doable. It tested over everything that you cover in second semester in 12 days. Which you'll realize that will be impossible to do when you see the volume and detail of information. All the information that was covered in second semester comes out to be over 620 pages of information to review and they can pick any detail out of it. Imagine rereading a book of 620 pages in 12 days and then be asked to remember any detail from it.. (not high yield board stuff) lol. If you think that's ridiculous, you would be correct. So that's why everyone who had the chance to take it, failed. In the past it wasn't like that and the would pass the remediation exam.. take boards.. pass. and then be set up to graduate because rotations are much easier. It's Just how it's done now. Honestly, If you were to give that exam to those who got A's in the course they would be very hard pressed to pass it, as well. Which is probably about 10% of the class who got A's and moved on. The majority score between barely passing (70%) to a B. About 30-40 students was either barely passing or failing before the last exam in second semester so if they didn't do well on that then they were certainly going to have to take the exam.. then fail.. and then redo the whole year. Luckily that last exam is pretty easy compared to the other ones, as long as, you didn't do too much damage on the 4 exams before it.

With that being said, I do think there are some people who are here to help you. During the courses anyways. Depending on the professor lol.
Just want to clarify that it has always been like that. How do I know? I also had to remediate once. It was BECOM 4 (second semester of OMS2 last year), and I had 1 week to prepare for it and passing was set at 75%. Fortunately I did pass, but I know what you mean when you say it's kinda super hard to pass the remediation exam. Moral of the story, try your best to never have to remediate as lots of remediations and repeating a year are red flags anyway when applying for residency, but if you end up remediating a class (especially BECOM) prepare to go through hell to pass that exam. I also know people that have passed remediation multiple times with similar timelines and cutoff for passing, so it's not totally impossible, just require a lot of sacrifice and hard work.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for telling me that. I am so sorry to hear about what you have to deal with. It seems too much to study for just 12 days, if everyone failed their must have been something wrong. So definitely it would be risky to attend, I suppose I should attend NYITCOM even though it costs more. Of course I don't plan on failing but just in case.

Thank you again for being honest.

Also, maybe you might want to delete some of your posts so they don't identify you, btw. I won't quote you because of that.

Thank you so much for telling me that. I am so sorry to hear about what you have to deal with. It seems too much to study for just 12 days, if everyone failed their must have been something wrong. So definitely it would be risky to attend, I suppose I should attend NYITCOM even though it costs more. Of course I don't plan on failing but just in case.

Thank you again for being honest.

Also, maybe you might want to delete some of your posts so they don't identify you, btw. I won't quote you because of that.
Just wanted to warn you that remediation exams at NYITCOM are probably similar as well fwiw. Remediation is never an easy exam. I suggest reaching out to some students over there, and see, but I'll tell you now, you'll probably hear the same or close to the same story (one exam that covers the whole semester).

Last edited:
Hey all, so I received my Direct Unsubsidized loan offer and my Grad PLUS loan offer, and was totaling it up and subtracting the tuition and housing (the Residents 2BR) for the year, but I’m confused because I’m left with not enough to cover the $14,400 each semester for the Residents after subtracting the tuition listed for the upcoming year at ARCOM. Am I missing something? Certainly they would have accounted food and gas and technology expenses etc?

Hey all, so I received my Direct Unsubsidized loan offer and my Grad PLUS loan offer, and was totaling it up and subtracting the tuition and housing (the Residents 2BR) for the year, but I’m confused because I’m left with not enough to cover the $14,400 each semester for the Residents after subtracting the tuition listed for the upcoming year at ARCOM. Am I missing something? Certainly they would have accounted food and gas and technology expenses etc?
Oh wait, I realized I was doing $14,400 per semester when it is per year *facepalm*

Yeah, that's about how much we get. If you budget well, that should be more than enough for the semester. It's not much different at other schools unless you're living in expensive cities like NYC or Chicago. You don't spend much in gas living in Fort Smith even if you're not living at the residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to warn you that remediation exams at NYITCOM are probably similar as well fwiw. Remediation is never an easy exam. I suggest reaching out to some students over there, and see, but I'll tell you now, you'll probably hear the same or close to the same story (one exam that covers the whole semester).

Thank you, I asked a few students. It not easy but you have the summer to study. So I guess with more time, it makes it easier.

For admitted or current students, how flexible are they on absences? A friend of mine is getting married out of town the first Thursday of classes.
I know classes are mandatory, but I wasn’t sure if you could miss x amount of classes per semester or something.

For admitted or current students, how flexible are they on absences? A friend of mine is getting married out of town the first Thursday of classes.
I know classes are mandatory, but I wasn’t sure if you could miss x amount of classes per semester or something.
You'll be fine. Just let student affairs know, and they'll understand and give you an excused absence. Class only become truly mandatory (Except for labs - all labs are mandatory) when you fall below 80% average in the class, and even then some people still miss classes. At the beginning of the semester, I doubt they will care unless they have drastically changed their ways since I left campus last year. Missing mandatory classes only become a real problem when you fail and have to remediate or go in front of the Student Progress Committee (SPC).

Last edited:
Just wondering, when doing 3rd/4th year rotations, do you still keep on campus housing? Or do you fully move out to go on rotations?

Just wondering, when doing 3rd/4th year rotations, do you still keep on campus housing? Or do you fully move out to go on rotations?
If you're doing rotations in Fort Smith, you can keep it if you want to. If you are in Little Rock, Searcy, Fayetteville etc... then no you don't have to keep it and it wouldn't make sense to keep it either.

• Love
You'll be fine. Just let student affairs know, and they'll understand and give you an excused absence. Class only become truly mandatory (Except for labs - all labs are mandatory) when you fall below 80% average in the class, and even then some people still miss classes. At the beginning of the semester, I doubt they will care unless they have drastically changed their ways since I left campus last year. Missing mandatory classes only become a real problem when you fail and have to remediate or go in front of the Student Progress Committee (SPC).
They've gotten a little bit tougher on this. You will be fine to attend the wedding. Still send a message to student affairs so they are aware but it is unlikely that they will grant an unexcused absence. Since this is well before any grades are determined, you will be fine to miss that day permitting no labs fall on that day.

Reactions: 2 users
I was wondering if there are pre-made ANKI decks that are available to students at ARCOM that go based on lectures? Or do students typically use ANKING and make their own? How frequently is ANKI used at ARCOM?

Also, how long is dedicated board prep time for STEP 2 and COMLEX2/ Step 1 and COMLEX 1?

I was wondering if there are pre-made ANKI decks that are available to students at ARCOM that go based on lectures? Or do students typically use ANKING and make their own? How frequently is ANKI used at ARCOM?

Also, how long is dedicated board prep time for STEP 2 and COMLEX2/ Step 1 and COMLEX 1?

The Dean approved an Anki deck made by some M2s to be posted on the school website this July.

Just received the continued interest email. It mentioned that the WL has started moving and will be until July 19.

Hey everyone! Are there any current students that I could PM a few questions??

I think we're having a misunderstanding of the term "site" here. A core rotation site is the Hospital(s) where you will be placed for your clinical years to complete your required core clinical rotations in different specialties (Internal medicine, Family medicine, Surgery, Psychiatry, OBGYN, pediatrics, Emergency medicine).

There are 10 core sites currently for ARCOM: Fort smith-2 sites (Baptist and Mercy), Little Rock-1 site but multiple hospitals, Fayetteville/Rogers- 1 site but multiple hospitals, Searcy- 1 site (Unity health), Poplar Bluff-1 site (PB regional med. center), Pine Bluff-1 site (Jefferson regional), Hot Springs-1 site (CHI St Vincent), Durant-1 site (Alliance health), Shreveport-1 site (Willis Knighton).

You only stay in one site. if you're in Fort Smith, you'll stay there all 3rd/4th year. If you're in Little Rock, or Hot Springs, or Searcy, same thing. Now, there are elective rotations in your 4th year that you can use to schedule your own rotations in any specialty you want anywhere you want, and people usually use those for away audition rotations at different residency programs before they send their applications out for residency, or you could choose to stay at your site and complete them there as well. So no, there is no alternation between sites, unless you request to do one or more of your electives in Little Rock for example while your main site is in Fort Smith.

Is this the most UTD list? The ARCOM webpage seems to be different than the above list…. That or I am misinterpreting it.

The ARCOM list on the website hasn't been updated in a while.

Thank you for the reply!

If it isn’t too much to ask, how many students are placed in Fayetteville? Additionally, what kind of ‘extenuating circumstances,’ so-to-speak, does ARCOM consider when determine rotation placement? My fiancé and I were considering living in NWA permanently and were curious if owning a house would be considered.

Thank you for the reply!

If it isn’t too much to ask, how many students are placed in Fayetteville? Additionally, what kind of ‘extenuating circumstances,’ so-to-speak, does ARCOM consider when determine rotation placement? My fiancé and I were considering living in NWA permanently and were curious if owning a house would be considered.
When I was a second year, there were 24 spots available for Fayetteville. I don't know if anything changed this year or not. To get placed there, you'll just have to rank it as your number 1, provide reasoning for why you want it, and hope you get placed there. If there are not like a disproportionate amount of students choosing the site in your class, you most likely will get it. If there are, then your reasoning will determine whether you get it or not (family and ties to the region are definitely valid reasons). For my class 95% got their number 1 ranked site I think.

Any OMS-1 moving on campus today want to meet and chill? Maybe figure out some study strategies and make a study group. PM me!

Last edited:
Any current medical student here that can share anatomy and bcom anki decks made by an ARCOM student?

They are both relatively new programs but the consensus favors ARCOM due to the overall support from the state. Also, tuition tuition tuition (43k vs 60k). New York Institute of Technology in Jonesboro, AR? Always found that weird.
Hi I have been accepted to ARCOM. This is out of state for me, would you be able to tell me the annual cost of attendance is with living on campus. Please this will really help me decide

Hi I have been accepted to ARCOM. This is out of state for me, would you be able to tell me the annual cost of attendance is with living on campus. Please this will really help me decide

Basically, FAFSA + Grad loans together is way more than enough to pay it all. Take out the 80K loans per year (you only need like 60K or so to cover everything), and you'll have a bunch leftover to spend on frozen meals and freezers.

Basically, FAFSA + Grad loans together is way more than enough to pay it all. Take out the 80K loans per year (you only need like 60K or so to cover everything), and you'll have a bunch leftover to spend on frozen meals and freezers.
Thanks Dr.

I had another question - I am reading about ARCOM policies on repeating a year and remediation. Someone had mentioned that they do not have exam retake policy and if you have below 60% or something in two subjects you have to repeat a year. This is an issue to get additional money in way of additional year fees. Is that correct. If a current student at ARCOM or someone from the first batch of residency share their thoughts and also how was the residency match for students who wanted to get into Texas

I had another question - I am reading about ARCOM policies on repeating a year and remediation. Someone had mentioned that they do not have exam retake policy and if you have below 60% or something in two subjects you have to repeat a year. This is an issue to get additional money in way of additional year fees. Is that correct. If a current student at ARCOM or someone from the first batch of residency share their thoughts and also how was the residency match for students who wanted to get into Texas
If you fail, you get to remediate the class at the end by taking an exam that covers the entire semester, and you have to obtain a 75% or greater in it. If you fail the remediation, you have to repeat the year. Failing multiple classes though may earn you a ticket out depending on what the student progress committee decides. Never go into a DO school thinking about failing/remediation/repeating though because even if you get a second chance that can still really hurt you during residency application.

Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (Inaugural class)
This is the partial match list I got so far:

Family Medicine
UAMS x3
UAMS (Fort Smith) x4
UAMS (Fayetteville)
Spectrum Health (MI)
Unity health (Searcy)
UPMC Altoona (PA)
Providence Hospital (Alaska)
Fort Benning (Columbus GA)
HCA RMC Bayonet Point (Hudson FL)
OK state (Tulsa) x2
Methodist (Houston)
U Wyoming (Casper)
Lutheran (Des Moines)
Comanche County Memorial (Lawton OK)
Baptist Health (North Little Rock) x2
OU (OKC)
Choctaw Nation Talihina (OK) x3

Family Medicine/OMM
Grand Rapids (MI)

OMM
Lynchburg (VA)

Internal Medicine
Ohio Health
Baylor (Temple, TX)
UT (Tyler) x4
Ascension Macomb (Warren, MI)
Riverside University Health System (CA)
UMiss (Jackson)
UIC Advocate Christ (Chicago)
U Louisville
HCA Grand Strand (SC)
UAMS (Fayetteville)
OK State
Unity Health (Searcy, AR) x4
Baptist Memorial (Oxford, MS)
Freeman (Joplin)

Pediatrics
Mercy St. Vincent (Toledo, OH)
UAMS x3
Baylor (San Antonio)
Ok State
OU (OKC)

Medicine/Pediatrics
UI Pioria
LSU Shreveport

Anesthesiology
Cook County (Chicago, IL)
Tower Health (West Reading, PA)

General Surgery
Mercy (Des Moines)
Honor Health (AZ)

Interventional Radiology
Penn State

Diagnostic Radiology
UAMS

Neurosurgery
Michigan State

Dermatology
KCU-GMEC ADCS Orlando

Emergency Medicine
Loyola (Chicago, IL)
Integris Health (OKC)
UT San Antonio
OK State (Lawton OK)
OK State
St. Vincent (Erie PA)
Albert Einstein (PA)

Neurology
Dartmouth
Grandview Kettering Health (Dayton OH)

Orthopedic Surgery
Jack Hughston Memorial (Columbus, GA)

OB/GYN
St. Peters University (NJ)

Psychiatry
OU (OKC)
Unity health (Searcy, AR)

Urology
UAMS

Unknown specialty (??)
?? - UIC Advocate christ chicago
?? - OU Tulsa
?? - UA (Huntsville)
?? - OSU Tulsa

Thank you so much these all comments are helping me decide.
Any other comments or thoughts you would have that I need to keep in mind