2020-2021 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any 2/8 Interviews received any status updates?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, just got my acceptance here and will definitely be attending in the summer/fall. Super excited to finally have that acceptance after... *checks profile*... 15 years on SDN. Been a long journey for me, did lots of things, saw lots of the world, had an entire career then retired from it. Words can't describe how overjoyed I am. For everyone else who got good news today, congrats to you as well. Looking forward to meeting y'all soon :)
congrats!! if u don’t mind, when did u interview and then what time today did u hear back?

congrats!! if u don’t mind, when did u interview and then what time today did u hear back?
I interviewed on 2/12 and heard back via email (and then later a phone call) around noon PST.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
dang it i interviewed 2/12 and didnt hear back... :( still going to try to have some hope i'll hear good news this week

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the post-II acceptance %?

Yes but not sure up till when

Can any current students chime in on the quality of rotation sites and the process on how to get the one desired? Additionally, is there now a cadaver lab, I know that the first years had virtual anatomy. And lastly, how are the board scores looking nowadays? Just wanting to go in eyes wide open and maximize chances for success!

A Pros/Cons summary would be great with some depth. I'm sure most of us applicants would greatly appreciate it, if it already exists somewhere, please drop the link :)

Thank you!
Current OMS-II here. Everyone I've spoken to in all the hubs (aka rotation sites) currently-available all say positive things about their respective hubs. Each has its pros and cons (i.e. size of city, hospital, electives available, proximity to airports, preceptors, spokes etc.). During your first semester of 2nd year around late October, the office of clinical ed. schedules a hub day where each hub gets to tell you all the wonderful things about their respective hubs. Sometime in November, most students, excluding Texas residents and some scholarship-recipients, go through a lottery process where you rank the different hubs by preference. Most students get between their 1st or 2nd desired hub, a few get their 3rd preference, some unlucky ones get their least desired location (its a lottery!). First Friday in December, everyone gets an e-mail about where they've been placed. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Current OMS-II here. Everyone I've spoken to in all the hubs (aka rotation sites) currently-available all say positive things about their respective hubs. Each has its pros and cons (i.e. size of city, hospital, electives available, proximity to airports, preceptors, spokes etc.). During your first semester of 2nd year around late October, the office of clinical ed. schedules a hub day where each hub gets to tell you all the wonderful things about their respective hubs. Sometime in November, most students, excluding Texas residents and some scholarship-recipients, go through a lottery process where you rank the different hubs by preference. Most students get between their 1st or 2nd desired hub, a few get their 3rd preference, some unlucky ones get their least desired location (its a lottery!). First Friday in December, everyone gets an e-mail about where they've been placed. Hope this helps!
Just wondering, but why excluding Texas residents?

Just wondering, but why excluding Texas residents?
There is a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between the college and Texas Board of Education. Students from Texas are automatically placed in the Texas (El Paso) hub. From my understanding, this year only Texas Residents were placed in the Texas hub due to the MoU.

There is a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between the college and Texas Board of Education. Students from Texas are automatically placed in the Texas (El Paso) hub. From my understanding, this year only Texas Residents were placed in the Texas hub due to the MoU.
So is it impossible to be at the El Paso hub unless you're a Texas resident now?

So is it impossible to be at the El Paso hub unless you're a Texas resident now?
Good question! I wouldn't say impossible. You can apply for "special circumstance" (as they call it at Burrell) and provide proof for why you want to be at a specific hub (not just El Paso), which is then reviewed by the Office of Clin Ed. If you choose to go down that route, you will be notified of the decision before the general lottery for the rest of the class is held.

Are they interviewing for the Waitlist rn?
Given we are still in February, I don't believe they have started interviewing for the waitlist. 2 more months of interviewing left. Call the admissions office and ask, that's an information they can answer no problem.

Interviewed 2/12 - Waitlisted around 4:30pm CST

How long is the interview here? Does anyone know how many questions they asked and whether it is open or closed file? Are the questions generic or specific to your app?

How long is the interview here? Does anyone know how many questions they asked and whether it is open or closed file? Are the questions generic or specific to your app?
The interview itself is only 30 minutes and is conducted by two interviewers at the same time. I don't know if it was open or closed, and there were about 3 questions, give or take.

The interview itself is only 30 minutes and is conducted by two interviewers at the same time. I don't know if it was open or closed, and there were about 3 questions, give or take
The interview itself is only 30 minutes and is conducted by two interviewers at the same time. I don't know if it was open or closed, and there were about 3 questions, give or take.
we’re the questions specific to your app or generic? were there ethical questions?

n=1, but one of my interviewers told me they only had access to my personal statement and nothing else.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they are interviewing candidates through April?
You are correct! Current OMS-II here, I applied to Burrell the last week of February and still made it in.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Hi all,

Just got an interview invite today.

I got an email today asking for my midterm grades from this semester. Sadly our school hasn't done them yet and my professors do not keep an accurate grade log for us to access - one professor doesn’t share our grade total at all until after semester end. I politely emailed them this information and stated I will reach out to see if anything can be compiled. About an hour later I got a generic email stating my application was still being considered (possibly just now on pre-II hold until some sort of grades can be produced.)

Def bummed since this school seems unique and I love the location.

Just got an interview today! And I submitted my secondary last month

was really hoping to get a II here, but I think I am on hold? I got a continued application review email in January. 3.17 gpa 510 MCAT and I was complete in late October. man I wish my gpa was higher. Do people get pre II R's or waitlists.

II earlier today, super excited but also nervous since this is my first interview. Any advice?

II earlier today, super excited but also nervous since this is my first interview. Any advice?
Congrats! I know this is a bit cheesy but be yourself! Your uniqueness and experiences have helped you get this far and being yourself will help you in your interview as well. Good luck!

• Care
It really was the best interview I have been on so far. They are very community focused and have a lot of opportunities. Definitely a close second to my top choice school.

• Care
Congrats! I know this is a bit cheesy but be yourself! Your uniqueness and experiences have helped you get this far and being yourself will help you in your interview as well. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your response!!!

maybe because my interview was later in the day but this is the only interview where I felt very disconnected with the faculty I love the school and what they have to offer but I felt like they weren't interested in me :( I also interviewed today (3/5)

maybe because my interview was later in the day but this is the only interview where I felt very disconnected with the faculty I love the school and what they have to offer but I felt like they weren't interested in me :( I also interviewed today (3/5)
I wouldn’t look too much into it. They were probably just trying to hide how they felt about your answers, etc. It is possible you had interviewers that were having a bad day but I doubt it. I felt this about one of my other interviews and I just try to not look into it too much. Hope that eases you a little. I also got the feeling they were playing a “bad cop” “good cop” scenario.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn’t look too much into it. They were probably just trying to hide how they felt about your answers, etc. It is possible you had interviewers that were having a bad day but I doubt it. I felt this about one of my other interviews and I just try to not look into it too much. Hope that eases you a little. I also got the feeling they were playing a “bad cop” “good cop” scenario.
I am a current 1st year and that happened to me. Of the 2 faculty, one was not expressing any good signs toward me- maybe even negative, and the other seemed kinda "mehh" about me. I thought I failed. Now that I am here, the one who I thought did not like me is now my favorite professor and is one of the coolest ones I know. It ain't over till it's over.

Hi! Can anyone pls answer this question as a BCOM student? @jaggabrotha @greenvsblack3 and whoever else knows?

"Can any current 1st years/2nd years can give any advice on applying for graduate loans/how Sallie Mae works?"

this makes me feel so much better

I am a current 1st year and that happened to me. Of the 2 faculty, one was not expressing any good signs toward me- maybe even negative, and the other seemed kinda "mehh" about me. I thought I failed. Now that I am here, the one who I thought did not like me is now my favorite professor and is one of the coolest ones I know. It ain't over till it's over.
THANK YOU. Easing my anxiety a lil

Hi! Can anyone pls answer this question as a BCOM student? @jaggabrotha @greenvsblack3 and whoever else knows?

"Can any current 1st years/2nd years can give any advice on applying for graduate loans/how Sallie Mae works?"
Will you not use federal loans? The school now gets federal loans which cover the COA...