2020-2021 California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary prompts:
1. CHSU-COM values a diverse student body that reflects our region and our world. Please explain how you personally would contribute to diversity at CHSU-COM.
2. Discuss the personal importance or impact of a book that you read in the past year.
3. Explain the relationship between teamwork and professionalism in the healthcare setting.
(250 words max each)

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone know if CHSU will get federal loans sooner compared to newer schools since they've probably applied for it for their pharmacy program?

Anyone know if CHSU will get federal loans sooner compared to newer schools since they've probably applied for it for their pharmacy program?
From what they told us, it will probably be about two years before we start getting federal loans. I will say of the people in my class, everyone I have talked to has been offered lower interest rates with the private loans than we would have with the federal ones. The loan I personally did also has deferment through residency.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
any secondaries yet?

Reactions: 1 user
I just got a the email inviting me for a secondary but said the info for the portal would be sent in a second email due to technical difficulties

Reactions: 2 users
OOS, verified 5/31, 509, 3.43 sGPA. No secondary yet....

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you actually receive the secondary are just the email informing you that you'll be getting a follow up email with the portal to a secondary?
What you said lol, but gives us time to write the questions before we have to actually submit.

What you said lol, but gives us time to write the questions before we have to actually submit.
Gotcha, just wanted to make sure they haven’t sent out the portal link yet. Kinda nice that they give us a heads up and time to work on it before they send us the supplemental:)

Where can I find average MCAT and gpa for IS vs OOS accepted students?

Does anyone know their screening process for secondaries?

I believe their website says they screen for 498 or better on the MCAT with no sub-section below the 15th percentile and GPA of 3.0

is there any review on this school? its new and all and in a location that is favorable for me personally but does anyone know about the curriculum or faculty?

is there any review on this school? its new and all and in a location that is favorable for me personally but does anyone know about the curriculum or faculty?
I’ll be in the first class if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

I’ll be in the first class if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
Do you have any opinions on how the med school faculty and administrators are? Just curious I have no idea. Sorry for the ignorance xD

So we haven’t started classes yet so I can’t speak too much to the faculty and administrators but from what I have experienced so far, it’s been amazing. We’ve had multiple zoom meetings with lots of the teachers, administrators, and the Dean. They have been incredible at keeping us informed, answering our questions, and listening to our feedback. I am extremely excited to be working with all of them as it appears each brings a unique perspective to the school. As for our curriculum, we have a systems based 2-pass layout. The lectures utilize TBL, team based learning, which I think gives us the advantage of collaborating on topics. This was a huge selling point for me because I think we all have something to learn from everyone we meet and hearing different perspectives will only broaden the knowledge we’ll acquire. Another great selling point was the virtual anatomy class. I remember coming on here and seeing people criticizing the fact we won’t have cadavers but after talking with the school and with the doctors I worked with at the time, I’m grateful that we get this opportunity to take part in such cutting edge technology. I love the idea that we are given VR headsets that we get to keep. I can be home at 3 in the morning and walk through a body down to the nerve endings. Everything about this school fit what I was looking for in my medical career and the new medical school building is gorgeous. I was accepted to many other schools and I couldn’t see myself anywhere else. I love the Central Valley and knowing I’ll get to help the medically underserved. If you’d like to know anything else, please let me know and good luck!! Hopefully we’ll see you all during interview season!

Reactions: 10 users
So we haven’t started classes yet so I can’t speak too much to the faculty and administrators but from what I have experienced so far, it’s been amazing. We’ve had multiple zoom meetings with lots of the teachers, administrators, and the Dean. They have been incredible at keeping us informed, answering our questions, and listening to our feedback. I am extremely excited to be working with all of them as it appears each brings a unique perspective to the school. As for our curriculum, we have a systems based 2-pass layout. The lectures utilize TBL, team based learning, which I think gives us the advantage of collaborating on topics. This was a huge selling point for me because I think we all have something to learn from everyone we meet and hearing different perspectives will only broaden the knowledge we’ll acquire. Another great selling point was the virtual anatomy class. I remember coming on here and seeing people criticizing the fact we won’t have cadavers but after talking with the school and with the doctors I worked with at the time, I’m grateful that we get this opportunity to take part in such cutting edge technology. I love the idea that we are given VR headsets that we get to keep. I can be home at 3 in the morning and walk through a body down to the nerve endings. Everything about this school fit what I was looking for in my medical career and the new medical school building is gorgeous. I was accepted to many other schools and I couldn’t see myself anywhere else. I love the Central Valley and knowing I’ll get to help the medically underserved. If you’d like to know anything else, please let me know and good luck!! Hopefully we’ll see you all during interview season!
You literally just made this my top choice school lmao

Reactions: 4 users
HI, Are you originally from the central valley?

HI, Are you originally from the central valley?
I’m originally from Southern California but I’ve spent a lot of time in the Central Valley growing up.

I’m originally from Southern California but I’ve spent a lot of time in the Central Valley growing up.
Cool, thanks! I'm just trying to get a feel for how open the school is to applicants outside the central valley.

Is "frequently drinking wines from the central valley" considered strong ties? Thx in advance.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if the interviews are open or closed file and if they’re conducting interviews for this cycle online or in person?

Does anyone know if the interviews are open or closed file and if they’re conducting interviews for this cycle online or in person?
The interviews are closed, unless that’s changed from last year. I’m not sure if they are doing interviews online but I can only guess with the way things are going that’s probably the case. Obviously that could change if things start looking better.

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the payment? Whenever I am hitting "proceed to payment," I get an error.

I'm getting the exact same thing... hopefully it's on their end.
“ We are aware that the payment portal has been experiencing some technical difficulties, so you may not be able to pay the fee immediately. Once this issue has been resolved, we will send a follow-up email.” direct quote from their email with the portal link

I had the aacomas fee waiver, so they waived my fee and I was able to submit my secondary.

• Wow
“ We are aware that the payment portal has been experiencing some technical difficulties, so you may not be able to pay the fee immediately. Once this issue has been resolved, we will send a follow-up email.” direct quote from their email with the portal link
Has anyone been able to submit the payment yet? My link still doesn't work. I'm trying to be patient...

in the same boat as well, don't want to annoy the school with calls and emails but hopefully it starts working soon

Has anyone been able to submit the payment yet? I tried this morning and it didn't work

Has anyone been able to submit the payment yet? I tried this morning and it didn't work
Nope it’s been down for a while now. All they have said to me is to finish the app and wait for an email saying it’s back up.

Update for this morning: it's still not working. Just be patient for now

Update for this morning: it's still not working. Just be patient for now
I know it's early but I've kinda given up.. if the school cant gets their website in order than what makes me think they can effectively organize a class. not trying to dish on CHSU, just kinda hesitant now.

I know it's early but I've kinda given up.. if the school cant gets their website in order than what makes me think they can effectively organize a class. not trying to dish on CHSU, just kinda hesitant now.
I applied to almost 25 schools and the truth is a lot of them have technical issues during the application cycle. I wouldn’t get too worried about it. We have orientation next week and they have a lot on their plate with organizing that as well as a pandemic that is slowing the process of just about everything right now. It really is a great school and definitely worth the wait