2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Kira is the interview for this school. The group session is more of a Q and A, but still, dress and act professionally. There is no separate interview besides these
Thank you just that its during my work hours and I have a conflict during that time. Hope I can squeeze it in lol

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you just that its during my work hours and I have a conflict during that time. Hope I can squeeze it in lol
Absolutely. I had to take off work for it but not everyone can do that. It is required though

Reactions: 1 user
How long after completing Kira did you get the session info? I competed Kira 1/19 and still haven’t heard back
At this point I don't remember, unfortunately. Maybe someone else on this thread can answer this for you

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after completing Kira did you get the session info? I competed Kira 1/19 and still haven’t heard back

I think mine was 3 days after., however I was in the first round when they were moving relatively quickly. But they may send them out on specific days, because I've also heard of people getting it a week later (though at this time in the cycle they may be backed up is all). I wanna say Thursday is a good day for getting the links at DMU?

I think mine was 3 days after., however I was in the first round when they were moving relatively quickly. But they may send them out on specific days, because I've also heard of people getting it a week later (though at this time in the cycle they may be backed up is all). I wanna say Thursday is a good day for getting the links at DMU?
Completed the KIRA a full week after you and I already got the link. I would call them.

Just got an II! Excited that they’re still sending them out, it feels like it’s getting so late in the cycle

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
On what days/weeks does the Admissions committee meet to review applications and send out II's?

Any current students can share some more information about the school? Match lists for Bradenton campus? Class schedule / mandatory classes for M1s, etc?

Denied pre-II. Complete in September. Whelp, atleast they got back to me. Lol

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone got any tips for the group interview? Will be having it in the middle of work so I guess ill have to wear a suit lol

Anyone got any tips for the group interview? Will be having it in the middle of work so I guess ill have to wear a suit lol
There is no group interview. You mean the group info session?

As others have posted: The Kira is the interview for this school. The group session is more of a Q and A, but still, dress and act professionally. There is no separate interview besides these.

Reactions: 1 users
Updated my application. Still on waitlist but I’m switching from ED scribing to outpatient which I think diversifies my application a bit.

Reactions: 2 users
Updated my application. Still on waitlist but I’m switching from ED scribing to outpatient which I think diversifies my application a bit.
I would assume waitlist will receive some movement in May when the second deposit is due. If I had to guess, that will be when everyone with more than one A will make their final decision. Hang in there, you've got this

Members don't see this ad :)
Finished all interview portions on 12/18 but still no word from them. Anyone else in similar boats?

Interview Session on 1/15, waitlisted 2/5. Still super excited about DMU. Hoping for some movement!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Just got an II about 30 min ago. Submitted my secondary 8/26 and complete 9/15.

I'll be turning it down though. Hope it goes to one of you!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Any current students can share some more information about the school? Match lists for Bradenton campus? Class schedule / mandatory classes for M1s, etc?
Wrong thread, I assume you're looking for LECOM, if you have schedule or attendance questions about DMU, I can answer.

@Astharia Sry I meant DMU , not Bradenton. Can you tell me more about the M1 schedule and if attendance is mandatory? Do people match into top specialties such as derm?

@Astharia Sry I meant DMU , not Bradenton. Can you tell me more about the M1 schedule and if attendance is mandatory? Do people match into top specialties such as derm?
I'm not a current student, but I can tell you that the M1 schedule for the class of 2025 will be a block schedule. DMU match lists may be found here. Astharia would be better able to help you, but I would check out those pages in the meantime!

Current M1. Lectures are not mandatory. Schedule is a block schedule with all exams occurring on same day, split over 100q's for the day. Competitive residency placement is certainly possible but things will be different with Step 1 being P/F. Someone linked the match list, I would use that as your guide

got the alternative/waitlist today. the info session was about a month ago I think :(

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
anyone fill out fafsa yet or are y'all waiting till DMU sends us more info?

Curious as well. I have not filled it out yet and this will be my first time ever filling it out, so I'm curious what others are doing in this regard

Fill it out ASAP. It’s super easy and always better to do earlier. Costs nothing to send to the schools you think you might go to, so just send it to whichever ones you want.

Curious as well. I have not filled it out yet and this will be my first time ever filling it out, so I'm curious what others are doing in this regard
I second @doctor_professor_cox

They recommend filing your FAFSA asap. After a certain date (usually in February), they claim they can no longer guarantee everyone gets the funds they need. I've had to use gov loans my whole life and have always filed as early as possible because of this warning. It's not a commitment anywhere - the schools you add to your list are there so they can be approved before you start classes there. (And there's a way to add more than the list limit. Instructions are provided online but it's been awhile so I don't remember them.)

Last edited:
Fill it out ASAP. It’s super easy and always better to do earlier. Costs nothing to send to the schools you think you might go to, so just send it to whichever ones you want.
I have more than 10 schools I haven't heard a peep from so I can't because who knows if/where I will get interviews and it is a max of 10 schools.

Also got the HP alternate list email today. Info Session was in December.

I have more than 10 schools I haven't heard a peep from so I can't because who knows if/where I will get interviews and it is a max of 10 schools.
You can file for more than 10, the program is only set up for 10. There are instructions on how to do this on the online form. I had to fill out for over 20 schools initially.

Edit: Here's how that works: https://studentaid.gov/help/more-ten-colleges

II yesterday evening! Complete 10/1 (added this school late). Super excited, this looks like an awesome program!
Did you reach out to the school anytime between being marked complete and the ii?

I was marked complete mid Novemeber, and I am planning on sending an update letter + letter of interest to the school. I hit the 90 day review period this week.

Did you reach out to the school anytime between being marked complete and the ii?

I was marked complete mid Novemeber, and I am planning on sending an update letter + letter of interest to the school. I hit the 90 day review period this week.
After about a month past my 90-day mark, I emailed the admissions office. I figured if I hadn't heard anything in the 90 days, it was just going to be a silent R. They let me know that processing apps was taking longer than expected but my app was still under review. I got the II a few days later.

Probably wouldn't hurt to send an update! (if they accept them -- I haven't checked).

After about a month past my 90-day mark, I emailed the admissions office. I figured if I hadn't heard anything in the 90 days, it was just going to be a silent R. They let me know that processing apps was taking longer than expected but my app was still under review. I got the II a few days later.

Probably wouldn't hurt to send an update! (if they accept them -- I haven't checked).
hey man, thank you for taking out the time in replying to me. Appreciate it.

so i’m from Texas and will be attending DMU if i don’t get into my state MD school. the current winter storm Texas is under has me worried about the even harsher conditions in Iowa lol.

any students or Iowa residents have advice on adjusting to the weather? like anything we have to buy when it comes to clothing or our cars?

• Care
so i’m from Texas and will be attending DMU if i don’t get into my state MD school. the current winter storm Texas is under has me worried about the even harsher conditions in Iowa lol.

any students or Iowa residents have advice on adjusting to the weather? like anything we have to buy when it comes to clothing or our cars?
I don't live in Iowa but I do live in Michigan and the weather is fairly similar, I believe (although I wonder if the Lake Effect snow is worse in Metro Detroit compared to Iowa). I survive these cold, windy, and snowy mornings with my down coat, knit hat, wool scarf, gloves, and insulated boots. I have at least two of each so I can switch them out if they get wet and need to dry. If I'm going to be out for prolonged periods, I also wear wool socks and long underwear or cotton leggings under my pants. Thermal tops under my shirt/scrub top with a hoodie or sweater is also nice.
That reminds me about layers. Sometimes it's going to be in the single digits outside around here and then incredibly warm where I'm working, so I always have layers that can be easily removed. Nothing worse than wearing something too warm when you're stuck somewhere for 8 hours + or wearing something too cold and never getting comfortable again. (I've had times where I was working outside and it feels like I'll never be warm again, even after being indoors and under a blanket for hours. I'm dramatic, but this is why I don't work on farms anymore, haha! Baths, heated blankets, and warm food/drinks really help for that "chilled to the bone" feeling.)

TLDR; The cold really sucks for some people and investing in some nice things (coat, gloves, hat, scarf, boots) can make a huge difference in your comfort. If you have any spare change (or can ask for gifts throughout the year) I recommend getting an extra set of each in case you get soaked and they need to dry before you go outside again.

• Love
Just finished my Kira and felt like I totally bombed it. Asynchronous interviews are extremely challenging. Especially with the time constraint.

also, can I submit a letter of intent post interview here?

Last edited: