2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II. 3.5 Cum, 3.7 Science, 518 balanced score in region. For those wondering about the 90 day timeline I was complete for more than 90 days and reached out before my II, they said they were just behind. No need to sweat not hearing back promptly!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does DMU being so close to filling their class mean any interviews at this time would have extremely low chance of A with a scholarship? I’ve already paid the deposit down for my top choice (as of now) and really would love to see what DMU has to offer since it was on my top category of schools I applied to. But as of now I have a great offer with in state tuition, and taking off a whole day of work is difficult since I am in a high pressure full time sales position.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten their official (not the estimated) financial aid package? They'd said it would be available by 2/15, and when I checked this morning I didn't see it. According to my FAFSA, DMU is on my distribution list, but I'm hoping everyone else is still waiting, too, and that DMU is just behind.

Has anyone gotten their official (not the estimated) financial aid package? They'd said it would be available by 2/15, and when I checked this morning I didn't see it. According to my FAFSA, DMU is on my distribution list, but I'm hoping everyone else is still waiting, too, and that DMU is just behind.

There's a post on Pulse about them being delayed. Hopefully will arrive in the next few days.

is anyone else from the Zoom 1/21 session still waiting to hear back? I know others have heard, just curious!

High priority alternate email today. Info session 1/8. Lm 64 oos

Curious as to where it says in the email you are high priority? I have re-read my waitlist email like 100 times and can't seem to find it. Maybe that just means I'm not high priority lol

Curious as to where it says in the email you are high priority? I have re-read my waitlist email like 100 times and can't seem to find it. Maybe that just means I'm not high priority lol
They send a separate email after the initial email informing you of high priority status.

Make sure to check your spam folder for the high priority waitlist email. Mine was sent on 2/12, and I just saw it in there today.

I did the Zoom session on 1/22 and I'm still waiting. I didn't know other people had already heard back :/
I haven’t heard either, but someone I go to school with and people from this thread got WL emails this past Friday. I’m trying to stay positive though 🙃

Hi im currently on the waitlist. Does anyone know when we find out if we getting off waitlist and also i was wondering if anyone knows how to send updates to the school about new experiences. Thanks!

so I have this daily email from usps that tells me the mail I’m getting for that day and I just saw a letter arriving from DMU - does anyone remember if they notify you by mail regardless of admission status or is this a good sign?? I’m a little freaked out lol

Members don't see this ad :)
so I have this daily email from usps that tells me the mail I’m getting for that day and I just saw a letter arriving from DMU - does anyone remember if they notify you by mail regardless of admission status or is this a good sign?? I’m a little freaked out lol

They do, but my acceptance letter came about 3 weeks after the text and email. I believe it's a thank you for interviewing letter that they send you.

so i’m from Texas and will be attending DMU if i don’t get into my state MD school. the current winter storm Texas is under has me worried about the even harsher conditions in Iowa lol.

any students or Iowa residents have advice on adjusting to the weather? like anything we have to buy when it comes to clothing or our cars?

I'm a current DMU student and I came from the southwest US. I had never actually lived in a place that snowed before I came to DMU. This year has been uniquely rough even for Iowa in terms of weather but Des Moines is certainly much more able to handle snow compared to cities in Texas. I haven't had too bad of a time really at all, however these stretches for weeks below freezing aren't the best. I would note that summer is amazing here

Reactions: 2 users
I did the Zoom session on 1/22 and I'm still waiting. I didn't know other people had already heard back :/
I did the Zoom session on 1/29 and have not heard back yet. They gave a 3-6 week time frame to hear back so don't lose hope!

You'll also get a small package with a t shirt and pen and sticky notes too, just so you don't get the same message from USPS and freak out again! :rofl:
LOL-- no I received that before, and I knew about it, but the letter was unexpected. It was a card signed by the students - how nice :)

Have DMU students been vaccinated yet?
DMU has not been vaccinating us yet, but its not their fault, it's a state issue. Some students have been able to get vaccinated through pharmacies and county health departments tho.

Just received an on hold email about an hour ago :/

There's a post on Pulse about them being delayed. Hopefully will arrive in the next few days.
Hey, sorry to jump on this late, but where do you find the financial aid e-packet if it has been sent? I filled out the FAFSA about 2 weeks ago and it was approved. Will I start to receive my e-packet through them? Will it be in an email? Very clueless about this process, any advice would be MUCH appreciated :)

Hey, sorry to jump on this late, but where do you find the financial aid e-packet if it has been sent? I filled out the FAFSA about 2 weeks ago and it was approved. Will I start to receive my e-packet through them? Will it be in an email? Very clueless about this process, any advice would be MUCH appreciated :)
I got two emails from them. One was an estimate of COA and another was about the official package being available on Pulse. Both came to my DMU email.

i just got placed on the alternate list. interviewed on 1/22

alternate list, zoom 1/29. But my position on alternate guarantees I'll be considered if space becomes available so sounds like the class is full.

How do we know what priority our alternate positions are?
According to Anna Cruz (admissions), ranks will be established late April /early May. You'll receive an email stating your position as either high priority, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quartile. Some people have received emails stating High Priority. Traditionally DMUs wait-list is a good place to be and often people well into the 2nd and 3rd quartile get admitted. Who knows what this crazy year looks like but fingers crossed to all of us once again, playing the waiting game!

Reactions: 3 users
According to Anna Cruz (admissions), ranks will be established late April /early May. You'll receive an email stating your position as either high priority, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quartile. Some people have received emails stating High Priority. Traditionally DMUs wait-list is a good place to be and often people well into the 2nd and 3rd quartile get admitted. Who knows what this crazy year looks like but fingers crossed to all of us once again, playing the waiting game!
I appreciate you SO much. Fingers crossed then! Thanks

I was placed on the alternate list! Interviewed on 1/15.

The email I received said: "Your position within the Alternate List guarantees that you will be considered if space becomes available." Does that mean I'm high priority or am I just reading too much into this? I haven't gotten any other emails from DMU.

The email I received said: "Your position within the Alternate List guarantees that you will be considered if space becomes available." Does that mean I'm high priority or am I just reading too much into this? I haven't gotten any other emails from DMU.

you're reading too much into it. They'll revisit everyone in late April / early May and email us our tiers of priority on the WL.

This is what my email said too-- I believe the high-priority alternate list said it more explicitly, and you and I are just on the regular alternate list? but I could be wrong.
But either way I was told they are sending out emails in either April or May saying what tier you are on for the alternate list, so that will let us know how high up we are in priority.

I just submitted my FAFSA. Does DMU contact us with a potential financial aid package once they receive the info from the FAFSA, or is there something else we have to do? I know I will need a combination of direct and grad plus loans, but I've never taken out student loans before so I don't really know how the process works

How nice it would be if people could read through the thread before posting questions that have been answered multiple times...

How nice it would be if people could read through the thread before posting questions that have been answered multiple times...
Yes 30 pages that 99% of which has nothing to do with the question. How nice it would be if people would help eachother rather than be a tool

Reactions: 6 users
A lot of medicine is going to be answering questions that you find second-nature or that you researched and found the answer to. Patience and willingness to answer questions no matter now many times you've heard it are great doctor characteristics :)

Reactions: 6 users
Are they still sending out IIs for this school?