2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha i have no clue what to expect! are you guys going to prep interview questions? not sure if this is an info session or actual interview

I've done a bit of prep, I prepped for Kira. So I might do a bit more prep, but I really really hope it's an info session. I feel like they'll send more info out tomorrow, per their email.

Members don't see this ad.

Signed up for Friday's group! Did my Kira assessment earlier today. Really not sure what to expect here: is it supposed to be an info session or a group interview? Also why are they sending a swag bag before accepting us (though honestly I'm stoked about it haha)?

ETA: should I try to switch to Thursday's group? Will 1 day matter? I was just thinking for work it would make more sense to take Friday off... but I don't wan to put myself at a disadvantage.
yoooooo, we get swag?! even more of an incentive to knock this Kira assessment out asap.

Reactions: 6 users
I talked to admissions today and they said it’s going to be more of an informal conversation with students and faculty, rather than an interview!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to admissions today and they said it’s going to be more of an informal conversation with students and faculty, rather than an interview!

You're the MVP! So like a Q+A about the school, is that the vibe you got?

Reactions: 1 users
Is casper required here? I've already taken it just need to know if I should send it?

could any DMU students speak on the pros and/or the unique opportunities offered? and ultimately why you decided to attend?

thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
For those who have taken KIRA, were there any questions specific to DMU/why medicine, or were they just general questions like VITA/CASPER?

Just got placed on hold pre interview invite.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Lol so this school had my MCAT score, sent me a complete email, and now my MCAT score is marked as not receieved again. I submitted my secondary about a month ago and my MCAT was sent to AACOMAS in like May. Should I send them an email tomorrow morning, or is this an issue anyone else has seen?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol so this school had my MCAT score, sent me a complete email, and now my MCAT score is marked as not receieved again. I submitted my secondary about a month ago and my MCAT was sent to AACOMAS in like May. Should I send them an email tomorrow morning, or is this an issue anyone else has seen?

Well that's odd. I've heard they're nice though, so it might be worth calling today since I imagine they're open till 5:00, just to see -it might be a systems glitch on their part.

What was the email they sent you?
Someone has reviewed my app and due to the amount of competitive applicants they have placed my file on hold for possible interview at a later time. This can take months and they will notify me if I am rejected or selected for an interview but at the next review if I am placed back on hold that they will not message me.

Im paraphrasing but that was the gist of it.

• Care
Just got rejected. Disappointed since its closer to home. Good luck everyone!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Someone has reviewed my app and due to the amount of competitive applicants they have placed my file on hold for possible interview at a later time. This can take months and they will notify me if I am rejected or selected for an interview but at the next review if I am placed back on hold that they will not message me.

Im paraphrasing but that was the gist of it.
Appreciate the response and hope good news comes your way

Just got rejected. Disappointed since its closer to home. Good luck everyone!

Sorry to hear that. It will help if you can let us know your completion dates and any stats you feel you can share. Thanks!

Sorry to hear that. It will help if you can let us know your completion dates and any stats you feel you can share. Thanks!
Thanks. I was complete 8/6. High gpa low mcat, but to my understanding they were sending out II without looking at mcat scores this cycle.. so this one kinda stings!

Thanks. I was complete 8/6. High gpa low mcat, but to my understanding they were sending out II without looking at mcat scores this cycle.. so this one kinda stings!

Wow. Okay so I'm opposite of you... I'd thought my MCAT score helped me get the II. Do you know if they're looking at MCAT post-II? Were you a mission fit?

I haven't heard anything in months

Wow. Okay so I'm opposite of you... I'd thought my MCAT score helped me get the II. Do you know if they're looking at MCAT post-II? Were you a mission fit?
I believe they are post II but not 100% sure. And yeah I was. Not from Iowa but MN resident my whole life and talked about serving the midwest and Iowa. Kinda surprised tbh that its coming so early

I have heard zilch. This is wild lmao. I toured here, live 3 hours away, and have a DMU grad's LOR as my DO LOR.

I have heard zilch. This is wild lmao. I toured here, live 3 hours away, and have a DMU grad's LOR as my DO LOR.
This is common lol. SDN is not a good representation of all of DMU’s applicants just FYI

Can anyone speak to things about the school I should know (or be able to discuss with the people on the zoom meeting)? There's just so much info that I feel like it's impossible to know everything, and I'd like to narrow it down a bit.

Can anyone speak to things about the school I should know (or be able to discuss with the people on the zoom meeting)? There's just so much info that I feel like it's impossible to know everything, and I'd like to narrow it down a bit.
Feel free to pm me with any questions

Finally complete here! That took so freaking long lol.

Signed up for Friday's group! Did my Kira assessment earlier today. Really not sure what to expect here: is it supposed to be an info session or a group interview? Also why are they sending a swag bag before accepting us (though honestly I'm stoked about it haha)?

ETA: should I try to switch to Thursday's group? Will 1 day matter? I was just thinking for work it would make more sense to take Friday off... but I don't wan to put myself at a disadvantage.
How was KIRA? Was it random questions like the practice test or more behavioral/situational? Any questions like why medicine, why DMU?

How was KIRA? Was it random questions like the practice test or more behavioral/situational? Any questions like why medicine, why DMU?

I can't say anything about Kira because of the confidentiality agreement, sorry!

could any DMU students speak on the pros and/or the unique opportunities offered? and ultimately why you decided to attend?

thanks!

Hi. I saw that you DMed me too, but I’ll just respond here. My perspective as an M2:

The instructors are really good, for the most part, and are always willing to meet with you and help you. The city is safe and affordable, with lots of stuff to do but not too crowded/bustling. It’s the second oldest DO school and has a long track record with a big alumni network. The big class size (~220) means a higher probability of finding a suitable friend group. The board passage and match rates are consistently among the best. The average class stats (507/3.6) are pretty high (even comparable to the stats at some MD state schools), so you know you’re going to have smart, hardworking classmates.

As far as opportunities go, a few students every year do a OMM fellowship (extra year to teach and train in OMM), shadowing opportunities with primary care docs at the DMU clinic, various clubs and governing associations, research assistant positions, teaching assistant positions, tutoring positions... Plus a million ways to volunteer in the city of Des Moines. There’s a lot that one can do.

I chose to attend because I liked what I experienced on interview day, and the long history and solid track record made me feel confident that DMU would enable me to achieve my dream. Plus I liked the city of Des Moines. I don’t like big cities where everything is congested and stinky, and I don’t like rural areas where there’s nothing to do—so it’s the perfect middle ground for me.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Hi. I saw that you DMed me too, but I’ll just respond here. My perspective as an M2:

The instructors are really good, for the most part, and are always willing to meet with you and help you. The city is safe and affordable, with lots of stuff to do but not too crowded/bustling. It’s the second oldest DO school and has a long track record with a big alumni network. The big class size (~220) means a higher probability of finding a suitable friend group. The board passage and match rates are consistently among the best. The average class stats (507/3.6) are pretty high (even comparable to the stats at some MD state schools), so you know you’re going to have smart, hardworking classmates.

As far as opportunities go, a few students every year do a OMM fellowship (extra year to teach and train in OMM), shadowing opportunities with primary care docs at the DMU clinic, various clubs and governing associations, research assistant positions, teaching assistant positions, tutoring positions... Plus a million ways to volunteer in the city of Des Moines. There’s a lot that one can do.

I chose to attend because I liked what I experienced on interview day, and the long history and solid track record made me feel confident that DMU would enable me to achieve my dream. Plus I liked the city of Des Moines. I don’t like big cities where everything is congested and stinky, and I don’t like rural areas where there’s nothing to do—so it’s the perfect middle ground for me.
thank you for this!! definitely one of my top choices.

Just got an II! For my fellow underdogs, my LM is 65.

Reactions: 7 users
did anyone else run out of time on like every Kira question? :dead:

I felt it was the perfect length. VITA time was far too long and I rambled. I still think I finished early on every question, but I'm a nervous speaker -better in front of people though when they have a chance to respond/ask questions.

Are KIRA and the group activity a screener for an online interview with a person or panel of folks? Or is KIRA the only interview?

Are KIRA and the group activity a screener for an online interview with a person or panel of folks? Or is KIRA the only interview?
Kira is the only interview. the group thing, as mentioned by a poster above, is an informal meet and greet w/ students and faculty.

Kira is the only interview. the group thing, as mentioned by a poster above, is an informal meet and greet w/ students and faculty.
Yep, that's what they told me! I would still prep questions though, just in case. And they said to dress up like it were a formal interview, too!

Reactions: 2 users