2020-2021 DO/MD school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dugudwn23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! First time applicant, and I just wanted to get an advice from the experts now that I think I have a school list based on some research (where I want to go, etc).
MCAT: 504 (126/124/127/127)
cGPA: 3.95 sGPA: 3.984
Ethnicity: Asian (Green card holder) - ORM (Korean)
State of residency: Colorado
EC: I worked as a Teaching Assistant for 2 semesters (120 hours), Internship as a Research Assistant at the University hospital - Anschutz Medical campus (120 hours)
Volunteer: Church youth group leader for two summers (60 hours), After school Tutoring as a I Have A Dream Foundation volunteer at my old high school where 48% of students qualify for free/reduced lunch (36 hours so far, because school shut down due to the coronavirus), Emergency Room volunteer (55 hours so far, again all volunteer canceled due to coronavirus), Volunteer at Agape Safe Haven (homeless shelter, 24 hours so far)
Shadowing: Total of 48 hours - Doing 4 more hours this week. Mostly with Plastic Surgeon (my role model and DO), and some time with Radiologist (MD), Family medicine (MD).

School list: DO - RVUCOM - CO (My first choice and already wrote secondary for this school), CUSOM, MSUCOM, DCOM, LECOM, KCU-COM, PCOM
MD - This is where I have most trouble with because of my stats. But, I am trying out for Colorado, Oakland Beaumont, TCU-UNT.

If you guys think I should add more schools, please let me know and which schools I will do the research after. I know my stats aren't the greatest but its why I am asking for an advice!
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! First time applicant, and I just wanted to get an advice from the experts now that I think I have a school list based on some research (where I want to go, etc).
EC: I worked as a Teaching Assistant for 2 semesters (120 hours), Internship as a Research Assistant at the University hospital - Anschutz Medical campus (120 hours)
Volunteer: Church youth group leader for two summers (60 hours), After school Tutoring as a I Have A Dream Foundation volunteer at my old high school where 48% of students qualify for free/reduced lunch (36 hours so far, because school shut down due to the coronavirus), Emergency Room volunteer (55 hours so far, again all volunteer canceled due to coronavirus), Volunteer at Agape Safe Haven (homeless shelter, 24 hours so far)
Shadowing: Total of 48 hours - Doing 4 more hours this week. Mostly with Plastic Surgeon (my role model and DO), and some time with Radiologist (MD), Family medicine (MD).

School list: DO - RVUCOM - CO (My first choice and already wrote secondary for this school), CUSOM, MSUCOM, DCOM, LECOM, KCU-COM, PCOM
MD - This is where I have most trouble with because of my stats. But, I am trying out for Colorado, Oakland Beaumont, TCU-UNT.

If you guys think I should add more schools, please let me know and which schools I will do the research after. I know my stats aren't the greatest but its why I am asking for an advice!
Thanks.
That MCAT result is disappointing, and I think is lethal for MD. You have a better shot with DO-only. @Faha , @Goro … and determine a list based on your LizzyM and WARS.

Thanks.
ECs are lethally too low. Take a gap year.

List to follow.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Once you get in your ECs, I suggest:
Gtown
EVMS
SLU (maybe)
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
Rosy Franklin
Seton Hall
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
U CO

Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Note that many of the MD schools on the list are service loving schools.

Once you get in your ECs, I suggest:
Gtown
EVMS
SLU (maybe)
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
Rosy Franklin
Seton Hall
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
U CO

Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Note that many of the MD schools on the list are service loving schools.
Thank you Goro! How much EC hours are good enough? I thought 150+ clinical hours, 100+ nonclinical volunteering hours and 50+ shadowing hours were good enough.

PM me if you want to talk. I had a 505 MCAT 3.9 GPA and what I believe are above average EC's. I ended up receiving 6 DO acceptances and 1 MD.

Remember, most of your MD school targets are service loving. The numbers you quoted are very cookie cutter.
Thank you for your input. Do you think i still should take a year if i want to apply to DO school such as RVUCOM, BCOM, LECOM, MSUCOM, etc?

Thank you for your input. Do you think i still should take a year if i want to apply to DO school such as RVUCOM, BCOM, LECOM, MSUCOM, etc?

are you from Michigan? Otherwise don't apply to MSUCOM. As for the others, NO don't wait. Your stats are extremely competitive for DO schools. You even have a chance to sneak into a low tier MD school so apply broadly.

are you from Michigan? Otherwise don't apply to MSUCOM. As for the others, NO don't wait. Your stats are extremely competitive for DO schools. You even have a chance to sneak into a low tier MD school so apply broadly.
Oh I knew they have low OOS acceptance rate, but I thought i'd give it a shot. Is your reason for not applying because of the low OOS acceptance rate? Thank you for your input as well! Why do you disagree with Goro for taking another year? And no, I am a Colorado resident

yes. You need to bulk up on those clinical hours.
Thank you Goro! Although I want to take a gap year, I don't think I have a luxury of doing so... Is my chance of getting into DO school that low that I need to compensate it with clinical hours?

Oh I knew they have low OOS acceptance rate, but I thought i'd give it a shot. Is your reason for not applying because of the low OOS acceptance rate? Thank you for your input as well! Why do you disagree with Goro for taking another year?

because they have a very low OOS acceptance rate and OOS tuition is like 90k... Also, I may have jumped to conclusions, but I was more so being optimistic to believe you could get 100-200+clinical hours while applying this upcoming cycle. It really depends on how long this virus keeps you from volunteering/working in a clinical setting and how much free time you have to devote to these EC's. If you don't have the ability to get that amount of clinical hours by August I would wait.

Thank you Goro! Although I want to take a gap year, I don't think I have a luxury of doing so... Is my chance of getting into DO school that low that I need to compensate it with clinical hours?
You'd get rejected at my school for such low hours.

Med schools aren't going anywhere either.

because they have a very low OOS acceptance rate and OOS tuition is like 90k... Also, I may have jumped to conclusions, but I was more so being optimistic to believe you could get 100-200+clinical hours while applying this upcoming cycle. It really depends on how long this virus keeps you from volunteering/working in a clinical setting and how much free time you have to devote to these EC's. If you don't have the ability to get that amount of clinical hours by August I would wait.
I thought I would be compensating those hours by working at the ER for my internship (120 hours). Or do they look for just 100-200+ hours solely on volunteering?

Clinical experience is clinical experience, doesn’t matter if it’s from working or volunteering. You said you had a research internship which doesn’t fall into the realm of what adcoms want to see. The big ticket items are MA, PCA, EMT, and Scribe. They each have their own benefits and each of them will lead you to write meaningful essays about why you see yourself in this field.

Clinical experience is clinical experience, doesn’t matter if it’s from working or volunteering. You said you had a research internship which doesn’t fall into the realm of what adcoms want to see. The big ticket items are MA, PCA, EMT, and Scribe. They each have their own benefits and each of them will lead you to write meaningful essays about why you see yourself in this field.
I thought since I did it inside the Emergency Room alongside with nurses, techs, physicians, I thought it would count as clinical experience as well. I guess it just falls under as research experience?

I thought since I did it inside the Emergency Room alongside with nurses, techs, physicians, I thought it would count as clinical experience as well. I guess it just falls under as research experience?

I mean it depends how you spin it in your essays. I just don’t think you can get the meaningful patient interaction adcoms want doing research. This is meant to demonstrate different qualities of you as an applicant. Obviously this is just my opinion (Goros as well), I just think you should get different clinical experiences.

I mean it depends how you spin it in your essays. I just don’t think you can get the meaningful patient interaction adcoms want doing research. This is meant to demonstrate different qualities of you as an applicant. Obviously this is just my opinion (Goros as well), I just think you should get different clinical experiences.
Yes, thank you for your input. I will try to get different clinical experiences during all this coronavirus craziness. I think I got some meaningful patient interaction while shadowing as well as research. Majority of my job required me going into the patient's room in the ER, talking to them about the research they qualify for, and why it would be beneficial to the ED. All in all, I get you and Goro's point, but I think I am still giving a shot at DO schools at least.