2020-2021 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much! Would have jusy brought my NRIC! Is there anything else I should know?
Are we really not allowed to bring in notes to the test centre?
And are we not allowed to use our phones and revise during the breaks?

Thank you :)
If you're taking the MCAT in sg, bring your passport!! I remember someone being rejected on test day because they don't accept the NRIC as a valid ID.. They need an ID with your signature according to AAMC regulations..
I remember there was a locker for us to keep our stuff, so if you bring your notes you can just lock it in there. But I dont think you can refer to it in between sections. Phones will be sealed until the test ends so you wont be able to use it in between.

I suggest you go a bit earlier to check out the test center and get familiarised, but other than that just focus and do your best!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else got a change in application status in the online portal?

I have yet to receive any email from the admissions team but it seems I have been offered a spot in the application portal! (Just noticed it today, and I actually have been logging in to check every few days :p) Just waiting for that email confirmation now..

Really excited about it! :D:D:D

EDIT: Email offer came in!

congrats! You will be our junior :)

Yeah, just shot adcom an email to ask about that. Given that we have to make a decision in less than a month, I hope fin aid decision could come out soon...

Also, does anyone know if "accepting the offer" is a final decision? Like does it mean we're committing to Duke-NUS? I'm a little unclear because for schools in the US, accepting the offer now just means you're holding your place in the program (and paying a deposit in most cases), but you won't need to decide which school to attend until later in the spring. If the final decision has to be made by Jan 4th, that'd be hard because there are so many schools I've yet to hear back from :( Duke-NUS is one of my top choices, but it would still break my heart a little to withdraw from 20+ schools before even hearing a word from them :(

in my opinion, you can accept it at this point and reverse it later (of course, if you decline the offer, there is no way to get that back. So, it will be your final decision).

Members don't see this ad :)
just received the offer!! never been this happy and relieved to get an email 😭😭 i'm a local applicant but studied overseas, did my applicant day in september

really wasn't expecting anything this early in the year so i was super surprised to hear from the school :0 can't wait to meet you all soon!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
same here! local applicant and studied in SG, looking forward to meeting everyone :)

those still waiting, press on because a few months of waiting is nothing compared to receiving the letter!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hello!

I created this account in hopes of giving assurance to those that haven’t gotten their offers yet. I‘m a local applicant who attended the Nov 10 applicant day, and I received the letter on friday as well. Keep hanging on guys, they’re slowly but surely getting through all the applications, and will get back to you soon. In the meantime, distract yourself as much as possible!! The letter and accompanying joy is well worth the wait. 😄

To those who’ve gotten the letter, congrats and see you guys in July (or maybe even earlier!). ☺️

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
wondering if anyone would want a chat group for those that have received an offer? might be useful for intl/local students to ask/answer questions! and just to get to know one another too~

also idk anyone else going to duke-nus besides you affable bunch and would love to make some friends :~) !!

• Love
Hi, received and confirmed invite for 27 Jan Applicant Day.
😬

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
wondering if anyone would want a chat group for those that have received an offer? might be useful for intl/local students to ask/answer questions! and just to get to know one another too~

also idk anyone else going to duke-nus besides you affable bunch and would love to make some friends :~) !!

I created a telegram group! Hope everyone's ok w tele.

To those that received an offer/seniors, feel free to join :) Hopefully we can schedule a face-to-face meet up when the restrictions let up

Otherwise you can pm me on tele @pepperqi if you have any qns!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I’m a re-applicant who attended the 10 Nov applicant day and hasn’t heard back since... Really hoping to hear back soon. I’ve always been reading the forum passively (hahah) but this time, I wanted to give some encouragement to anyone who’s waiting too - be it for an interview, an offer, or a financial aid package. Wishing you guys all the best :))

To all those who have already gotten offers, congrats yall are amazing!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hello! I’m a re-applicant who attended the 10 Nov applicant day and hasn’t heard back since... Really hoping to hear back soon. I’ve always been reading the forum passively (hahah) but this time, I wanted to give some encouragement to anyone who’s waiting too - be it for an interview, an offer, or a financial aid package. Wishing you guys all the best :))

To all those who have already gotten offers, congrats yall are amazing!!
+111111111

Just attended applicant day this morning. It went alright. There were about 20 applicants. All the best to everyone

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I also attended 27 Jan Applicant Day! All the applicants and the faculty members were really nice so it turn out to be a pretty enjoyable day! Had a great discussion with my team during the Team Lead session too. All the best to everyone too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!
Finally submitted my application last night! How long did it take you guys to receive an Applicant Day invitation?
And if I don't get that invite I suppose I'll be left hanging till July?

Hi Everyone!
Finally submitted my application last night! How long did it take you guys to receive an Applicant Day invitation?
And if I don't get that invite I suppose I'll be left hanging till July?
Congrats! and welcome to the club :)

So I think it varies. (Please someone correct me if I’m wrong). I received mine one week after submittion. However, I’ve seen a handful who waited as long as a month.

Adding to your question, I’m curious what % of applicants receives an (Applicant Day) invite and what % of those who interviewed actually get accepted. 🤔

Congrats! and welcome to the club :)

So I think it varies. (Please someone correct me if I’m wrong). I received mine one week after submittion. However, I’ve seen a handful who waited as long as a month.

Adding to your question, I’m curious what % of applicants receives an (Applicant Day) invite and what % of those who interviewed actually get accepted. 🤔
Prof Ooi says roughly half got the interview. And if number of people attending each applicant day is 20, 9 applicant days will give us 180 people.
They are only accepting 72 students, so it’s a 40% from the pool of interviewees.

Hello! I'm still waiting to hear back regarding a decision after applicant day in November. I hope we all hear good news soon!

Hello did anyone receive an email talking about the status - currently considered by management?

I also got the currently considered by management email.

Prof Ooi says roughly half got the interview. And if number of people attending each applicant day is 20, 9 applicant days will give us 180 people.
They are only accepting 72 students, so it’s a 40% from the pool of interviewees.
I think there were 35 interviewees per applicant day from September till December 2020, with 20 from the recent applicant day that ended, meaning should be about 195 people in total instead.

Also just wanted to let those who are waiting anxiously (feel u man!), for the accepted applicants, we had a welcome tea recently on Friday, and about 35 of us were there (there may be a few more who didn't turn up but I'm not so sure). This means we are still half way to go before the class is filled!

Keep the faith and press on ya! :xf::clap:

Reactions: 3 users
I also got the currently considered by management email.
Me too for the application status email here. It does not look like a waitlisting email to me, more of a reassuring message instead. I don't know if someone else got it before. Hopefully we will hear back soon...o_O

I got the management email as well! I applied for early acceptance and am a reapplicant who was waitlisted last admissions cycle. What about the rest of you? Trying to figure out if this email was sent out to a specific pool...

Last edited:
I also got the management email, also applied early acceptance, international, undergrad in US, grad school in Canada, applied for scholarship, oct applicant day.

Last edited:
Hi, current MS1 here. Best of luck to everybody on their applications and congratulations to those who have received acceptances. Let me know if there's anything that I can help with! For the email that was discussed, it seems to be "mass sent" to a lot of applicants, so I would not consider it as a waitlist email but more of a reassuring one :)

• Care
I got it like 10 min ago and started googling “duke bus being considered by management” lol
Hello did anyone receive an email talking about the status - currently considered by management?

i have a number 22 before my letter. So I guess they sent out to at least 22 people?

That is very interesting. I wonder if any of the accepted applicants also received emails (currently considered by management)?

I had replied to the management email to clarify if it was the equivalent of a waiting list and I just received a response from the admissions team as follows

“The previous appended letter is not a waitlist letter. It is a letter to update on your current application status and that your application is still being reviewed and under consideration by our various review committee.”

Truly just an update I guess :)

Did they send this letter to everyone that attended an applicant day interview?

That is very interesting. I wonder if any of the accepted applicants also received emails (currently considered by management)?
i didn't receive an email about it earlier, it's probably the first time they've sent it this cycle. i think it's just something they send around this time of the cycle to reassure those that have not heard back since applicant day?

Has anyone received an invitation to 16 Feb applicant day?

Interviewed in October and received the offer yesterday. It is for sure a long wait. Best of luck to everyone who still awaits the result, and looking forward to meeting everyone on campus in July!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed in October and received the offer yesterday. It is for sure a long wait. Best of luck to everyone who still awaits the result, and looking forward to meeting everyone on campus in July!
Congrats!! Did you receive the management email before the acceptance?

Congrats!! Did you receive the management email before the acceptance?
Thanks! :) No, I did not receive the management email. However, I do remember vaguely from the applicant day that they said something about the offer is to be confirmed by the dean (maybe "management"?) after being reviewed by the committee? Maybe that is what it was referring to? Just a guess.

Congratulations on your offer!!! If you don't mind, could you share your stats? Are you a local/international applicant?
I'm an international student, undergrad cGPA 3.6+, BCPM GPA 3.8+, MCAT 513, 5+ years of research experience since undergrad (first degree in econ and then did post bacc for all science prereqs), 10+ publications 30+ abstracts. Applied and offered MD/PhD.

Last edited:
Is there anyone that hasn't gotten the management email that attended an interview (excluding those who already got accepted)?

Anyone who went for Applicant day on 19 Nov received any news? I received the management email but still no updates from them as of yet ):

Anyone who went for Applicant day on 19 Nov received any news? I received the management email but still no updates from them as of yet ):
Same here no news yet after the management email