2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Auburn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:( Still haven't received a secondary and my primary was verified 7/14... should I email them??

Members don't see this ad.

Those who have II’s, do you have a LOR from a DO?
No I do not, but I do have 2 strong MD Letters. Also they said attending their virtual osteopathic physician shadowing event would be looked at favorably if the applicant did not have a DO Letter. If you do not have one and get an opportunity to do the shadowing event I would. I think it may have made a difference for me.

Reactions: 1 user
No I do not, but I do have 2 strong MD Letters. Also they said attending their virtual osteopathic physician shadowing event would be looked at favorably if the applicant did not have a DO Letter. If you do not have one and get an opportunity to do the shadowing event I would. I think it may have made a difference for me.

I wonder if we should attend even if we have 3 DO letters. I really like this school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if we should attend even if we have 3 DO letters. I really like this school.
It definitely couldn't hurt if you have the time, plus the shadowing event is actually really interesting.

I haven't seen any current students comment on this thread yet, but I thought I would ask just in case. What is the relationship like between VCOM-Auburn and the rest of the Auburn campus? Do you feel like you attend a big school or is there a level of separation between the UG and VCOM? Do the med students go to the football/ basketball games? I am a huge college sports fan so the opportunity that VCOM-Auburn provides to get involved in athletics really interests me. Thanks in advance if any current students stumble upon this and can answer my questions!

Has anyone received an interview utilizing the last “120 hour” rule?

I haven't seen any current students comment on this thread yet, but I thought I would ask just in case. What is the relationship like between VCOM-Auburn and the rest of the Auburn campus? Do you feel like you attend a big school or is there a level of separation between the UG and VCOM? Do the med students go to the football/ basketball games? I am a huge college sports fan so the opportunity that VCOM-Auburn provides to get involved in athletics really interests me. Thanks in advance if any current students stumble upon this and can answer my questions!
I am a current student, and I thought I commented in this thread awhile ago. If I didn't, then I am sorry.

We ARE Auburn. Your ID badge is an Auburn badge and gets you access to the rec center, and to every building on campus except for the engineering ones. You apply to the student ticket lottery for football like regular students and even sit in the student section. You get a Auburn access card for basketball and other Auburn sporting events. VCOM even has their own tickets for football games in case you don't get selected in the Auburn lottery, you then end up in the VCOM student section. At every sporting event, you will see "VCOM" advertisement. Our sports med faculty are the faculty that attend to all players on campus, and our VCOM sports medicine tent is on the sidelines at football games. Last year, our dean was recognized on the field during the game for VCOM's contributions to the community and the athletics. We play intramural sports against regular students - and we even have our own VCOMplics were we compete just against us. During the second half of the year, we partner with the nurseing and pharmacy students to have our own "disaster day."

We are as much apart of Auburn University as Auburn University is apart of VCOM.

War Eagle, Baby.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Where can I find info about the virtual shadowing event?

Did anyone receive an email stating their application was complete? In my application portal it says complete, but I never got an email saying it was complete and ready for review or anything.

I am a current student, and I thought I commented in this thread awhile ago. If I didn't, then I am sorry.

We ARE Auburn. Your ID badge is an Auburn badge and gets you access to the rec center, and to every building on campus except for the engineering ones. You apply to the student ticket lottery for football like regular students and even sit in the student section. You get a Auburn access card for basketball and other Auburn sporting events. VCOM even has their own tickets for football games in case you don't get selected in the Auburn lottery, you then end up in the VCOM student section. At every sporting event, you will see "VCOM" advertisement. Our sports med faculty are the faculty that attend to all players on campus, and our VCOM sports medicine tent is on the sidelines at football games. Last year, our dean was recognized on the field during the game for VCOM's contributions to the community and the athletics. We play intramural sports against regular students - and we even have our own VCOMplics were we compete just against us. During the second half of the year, we partner with the nurseing and pharmacy students to have our own "disaster day."

We are as much apart of Auburn University as Auburn University is apart of VCOM.

War Eagle, Baby.
Would you be open to a pm? I am interviewing here and loved your description of the campus culture

I haven’t received a secondary. I submitted my primary 5 days ago. How long does it normally take to receive a secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t received a secondary. I submitted my primary 5 days ago. How long does it normally take to receive a secondary?
It depends, its really early my dude, stay patient.

• Love

War Eagle, Baby.
That's awesome! This definitely placed Auburn at the top of my list. For a big time sports fan like myself, I am pretty sure I would enjoy going to medical school here more than anywhere else. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my comment, you have definitely got me excited about VCOM Auburn.

Where can I find info about the virtual shadowing event?
I believe it is an invite-only event for applicants who submitted their secondaries. I got the invite like 10 days after submitting my secondary. I think they are holding them all throughout the fall so I would just keep an eye out for it. Also they fill up super fast so make sure to sign up ASAP once your receive the email.

Nice! I just submitted my secondary yesterday already received the invite to do an online shadowing! Goodluck everyone

First-year here! Let me know if you guys have any questions about the application, interview, or anything else. And you can message me separately, but I think the group will benefit from any questions one might have.

Also, I have applied to many DO schools last year. If you are looking for any suggestions.

Check out DruMed on youtube if you want to see a little of campus on the first day of school video.

Has anyone interviewing on 9/15 received the link to join the meeting yet?

Not anymore due to COVID and also will keep going in the future. You are still required to attend mandatory lectures and labs. But they got rid of mandatory attendance.

Why do you think the Auburn camps has an average COMLEX Level 1 score ~30 points lower than the Virginia campus?

Why do you think the Auburn camps has an average COMLEX Level 1 score ~30 points lower than the Virginia campus?
Because on average, Virginia accepts higher quality candidates to be honest.

EDIT: Not that Auburn accepts crappy students because they don't, just the applicant pool to Virginia is more competitive simply because it is the original campus.

Because on average, Virginia accepts higher quality candidates to be honest.

EDIT: Not that Auburn accepts crappy students because they don't, just the applicant pool to Virginia is more competitive simply because it is the original campus.

Thanks for the honest answer. I noticed the discrepancy in the outcomes report and was curious. Auburn still has a great match list.

Thanks for the honest answer. I noticed the discrepancy in the outcomes report and was curious. Auburn still has a great match list.
In my opinion, because they are the original campus -> people think it is better -> so the better applicants apply -> get a more competitive pool -> accept higher quality applicants -> get higher board scores -> end up in a self-perpetrating cycle.

VCOM also tries to match people with the campus closest to their hometown, so the northeast is statically harder to get into med school. Ergo, some really great applicants that would get accepted to MD schools in the south have to go the DO route. Due to its location, VCOM-Virginia grabs these students.

We all get the same education and the same slides though. VCOM-Auburn has great, extremely intelligent students. We have a guy in our class with a 513 on his MCAT. We aren't a shabby class tbh. VCOM-Auburn has a great match because we are all well-prepared and do well in our rotations.

for anyone who did the physician shadowing thing, did you keep your zoom camera on ?

for anyone who did the physician shadowing thing, did you keep your zoom camera on ?
The administrators of the virtual event manually turned off the cameras for like 80% of the attendees. They did this to minimize glitches / maximize speed. I was one of the people whose cameras ended up getting turned off. There were students who were left with their cameras on the whole time though.

Not sure if this question has already been asked, but the open house and shadowing thing are available for anyone who has completed the secondary application correct? Like these aren't a part of the II?

Not sure if this question has already been asked, but the open house and shadowing thing are available for anyone who has completed the secondary application correct? Like these aren't a part of the II?
You are correct. The virtual shadowing had like 300 participants in the room and most people did not have their cameras on. I haven't attended the open house yet obviously, because it is on the 10/30 for the Auburn campus, but I would assume it is going to be a similar format as the shadowing.

Still no secondary, I am starting to worry. I know it is still early but I was under review on August 24th and still havent head from them.

Still no secondary, I am starting to worry. I know it is still early but I was under review on August 24th and still havent head from them.

I feel you on that, I've been scheduled for review since July 14 :(

I would say just give them a little time to get through it all. If you want to see if they are missing something from your application then you might just want to send an email.

You haven’t received a secondary application yet?

Nope haven't heard a thing since they told me I was scheduled for review by the committee, but I'm assuming they would have emailed me by now with a rejection so I'm keeping my hopes up. They said the process could take months just to receive a secondary invite.

I imagine they send secondaries in waves and lower the bar as the season progresses. I also haven't been rejected but haven't seen a 2nd.

"Also please supply VCOM with a listing of your courses and grades NOW, prior to your interview. We will accept a grade report or unofficial transcript from you now BUT YOU MUST also supply AACOMAS with an official transcript to update your profile"

How do I go about sending them my unofficial transcript?

EDIT: Disregard. I found it under the Status tab in the portal.

Anyone who interviewed on 9/15 heard anything yet?

Just got the call... Accepted! WAR EAGLE!!!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted!!!! II 8/28, interviewed 9/15

Reactions: 2 users