2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Carolinas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if you interview at Carolina you will only be considered there and not be considered at any other campus, if you really want to go to Virginia I would call the office at VA campus and let them know you want to make them your primary choice but you would in effect lose the interview at SC. I did this last year and interview at VA later and am an OMS-1 now! With your stats I wouldn’t be surprised if you got an interview invite from VA if you did decide to switch
I have this same question, granted no II yet but...I think I marked the Spartanburg as #1 and VA as number 2, but in talking with my family recently I'm thinking I wish I'd put VA as first choice. Do you know how receptive they might be if I requested to switch preference at this point? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does that mean they won't interview you until you've completed those classes?

No. They will still interview you even if you haven’t completed classes. They just want you to disclose if you’ve finished any at the time of the II.

Does anyone know when do they send out the zoom link for virtual shadowing? usually the day before?

The link for virtual shadowing gets sent out the day of. I just did a session yesterday! Forewarning: it's more like a panel discussion than shadowing. There's a moderator who asks the MDs/DOs attending: why medicine? what did you learn from residency? etc.. I wasn't expecting the panel format, so I was a little disappointed, but it was still helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else not recieve a secondary yet? I had gotten an email saying they would review my application 8/10 before sending a secondary and I still dont have one yet.
I received the application review email on 6/24 and have not heard anything yet

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who received a fee waiver and is unable to submit the secondary application? It says my payment is marked as paid but that section is still marked incomplete and I do not see a submit button. I emailed the admissions dept but, have not heard back.

Hello all! I'm currently a first year student here. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to know more about VCOM-Carolinas. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. One thing I would say is to take a deeeeeeep breath. My app wasn't completed until mid september and I got in before Thanksgiving with the median GPA and MCAT score. The application cycle is long and I know being patient can be difficult and stressful. Do what you can and don't worry about things out of your control. It'll make this year go by smoothly. And once you start med school, you'll have wished that you enjoyed all the time you had before. Good luck to all of you!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hello all! I'm currently a first year student here. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to know more about VCOM-Carolinas. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. One thing I would say is to take a deeeeeeep breath. My app wasn't completed until mid september and I got in before Thanksgiving with the median GPA and MCAT score. The application cycle is long and I know being patient can be difficult and stressful. Do what you can and don't worry about things out of your control. It'll make this year go by smoothly. And once you start med school, you'll have wished that you enjoyed all the time you had before. Good luck to all of you!

Hi! Thanks so much for your advice! I just interviewed here on Wednesday and really enjoyed my experience. I wanted to ask you if you sent Thank You letters to your reviewers after you were interviewed. I never know if sending these letters are seen as polite, authentic gestures or like you're trying to "suck up." What are your thoughts? I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thanks so much for your advice! I just interviewed here on Wednesday and really enjoyed my experience. I wanted to ask you if you sent Thank You letters to your reviewers after you were interviewed. I never know if sending these letters are seen as polite, authentic gestures or like you're trying to "suck up." What are your thoughts? I appreciate it!
It is a nice gesture, but your interviewers' comments are likely submitted to the admissions committee the same day or shortly thereafter. It won't make or break admission decision one way or the other.

I would Echo Real Mccoy's commments. I sent an email to all of my interviewers, but it is unlikely to help/hurt your chances of acceptance.

Keep getting emails about military scholarships and informational zooom meetings but no II. They sending out the wrong emails! Lol

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else still has not received a secondary? Do they screen heavily? If so what are their requirements? I got verified mid August.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!

• Love
  • Care
Thank you! Yes, 09/14

Awesome!! Ok this is gonna be neurotic, but I interviewed on Wednesday 9/16. Curious, was there also 12 people in your interview pool? There said that we would know by next Wednesday, but now I'm like hmmm.. did I hear incorrectly, will I get to know THIS week :nailbiting:

Hahaha, I cannot recall, I'm sorry. But what I do know is that the committee reviews all the interviewees the Friday after their interview. So for you and I (week of 14-18SEP) our Apps were reviewed on 18SEP, and like you mentioned they send out acceptances the following week by Wednesday. This is what was communicated to us during my interview session.

Best of luck to you! I hope that you hear back soon :)

Does anyone know VCO-Carolinas acceptance %? Also, where can I find their match % with residencies?

Does anyone know VCO-Carolinas acceptance %? Also, where can I find their match % with residencies?

Their match rate actually really surprised me during my interview. I'm not sure where you could find this on the website, but in the presentation they gave us, 99% matched last year! Most went into family med, internal med, or EM, i think the fourth was gen surgery!

Hahaha, I cannot recall, I'm sorry. But what I do know is that the committee reviews all the interviewees the Friday after their interview. So for you and I (week of 14-18SEP) our Apps were reviewed on 18SEP, and like you mentioned they send out acceptances the following week by Wednesday. This is what was communicated to us during my interview session.

Best of luck to you! I hope that you hear back soon :)

Super neat!! Thanks so much! Yeah, they told us we'd know by Wednesday 9/30. So I think I did nearly incorrectly. Hopefully, I'll hear something soon! Congrats again!!

Their match rate actually really surprised me during my interview. I'm not sure where you could find this on the website, but in the presentation they gave us, 99% matched last year! Most went into family med, internal med, or EM, i think the fourth was gen surgery!
I was pleasantly surprised as well. I have heard that VCOM has a strong reputation in the southeast and was curious if any current students could confirm that. Here are some stats that I found that you may appreciate!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 11.17.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 11.17.23 AM.png
    627.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 11.17.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 11.17.54 AM.png
    632 KB · Views: 126
I just received my Complete email after submitting the App 7/21 so if you haven’t gotten one, be patient lol

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Just want to make sure - The three campuses of VCOM all have different secondaries right?

Just want to make sure - The three campuses of VCOM all have different secondaries right?

Same secondary essays for all. You submit one secondary and rate your location preferences for the 4 campuses.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the call to schedule an Interview!! Earliest available date was mid October. Super excited!!

Has anyone attended the physician shadowing sessions offered by VCOM?

I submitted around the same time, and still no complete email lol
Try calling the school and ask them to check your file to see if you're missing something? That's happened to me a few times already this cycle and they've sent me the complete email within a few days.

Hey guys, what's up. Submitted my secondary here a few days ago (Should have sent it waaaay before, but decided not to, just recently got deferred by my Early Decision MD school, so I submitted all my DO apps). I was going to ask, because there are no recent threads on cycle earliness or lateness (all of them are from 5+ years ago) -- what is considered early or late in the cycle? I know people usually say DO cycles go for longer..but still. I'm mostly a DO applicant right now, and I just got complete at most schools earlier this week. Unprecedented times, yadda yadda, also got deferred from my early school -- is it still early? :(. What's the average secondary --> interview turnaround time? :( stressing out.

Did you guys list shadowing experiences in your CV portion? Employment history? I had to submit my cv/resume to another school and they asked for employment history, thought that was strange but listed it for that anyways.

Also, I didn't really write a description because it sounded like they just wanted a title and maybe a little more if the title of the experience was too vague? I can't imagine it matters a whole lot, if they were going to be particular about it, they would've had a limited word/character count and been more specific in the directions.