2020-2021 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Contacted the school and they said my application has been reviewed and at this point its just waiting to see if i get the II or not. They said they are considering applicants throughout the rest of the cycle, which Im not sure what that means. At this point should I consider my chances for an II in this school gone? :(

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Contacted the school and they said my application has been reviewed and at this point its just waiting to see if i get the II or not. They said they are considering applicants throughout the rest of the cycle, which Im not sure what that means. At this point should I consider my chances for an II in this school gone? :(
Did you call or email them? They seem to not be very responsive to email. I'm in the same boat as you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Have any accepted students heard about any scholarship/financial aid info from this school?

Reactions: 1 user
Do they keep open seats throughout the cycle or if you interview in March, is it usually for the WL? Interviewing here soon so a little nervous about that xD

I'm not able to join today's cafecito hour because I'm at work, but would someone be able to post any relevant information after? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I was wondering if any current students could tell me if FIU gives a laptop or iPad? And if so is it ours to keep or do we return it

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Is there second look day for FIU? Does anyone know when it will happen? Thanks!

Hi! Is there second look day for FIU? Does anyone know when it will happen? Thanks!
I contacted the admissions office and they said they are working on potentially having multiple small in-person second look visits as well as a virtual option and will be communicating that to accepted students “in the next few weeks”

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I contacted the admissions office and they said they are working on potentially having multiple small in-person second look visits as well as a virtual option and will be communicating that to accepted students “in the next few weeks”
Thank you! Really hoping we a chance to visit before making a final decision

Thanks so much! Sounds like great opportunity to visit Miami.

Hello! I was wondering if any current students could tell me if FIU gives a laptop or iPad? And if so is it ours to keep or do we return it
You are given both a laptop and an iPad, but I believe you must return them after you graduate

Does anyone know if FIU gives OOS students IS tuition waivers or something similar to that?

You are given both a laptop and an iPad, but I believe you must return them after you graduate
Sounds super dumb if we have to return them because tech only deteriorates over time. What would they do with it? Give 4 year used tech to new incoming students?

Also, if that is the case, I hope we are not receiving used tech

I submitted mine 1/25 and haven't heard back :( really hoping to get a significant amount of aid.. debating on reaching out to the financial aid office soon.
I reached out yesterday and I'll post their response here:

"Please note that the HWCOM Scholarship Committee has been meeting since January to award admission scholarships. Students will be contacted individually if they are selected as a recipient for either a merit, need, or diversity scholarship. Should the Scholarship Committee choose to offer you a scholarship, you will be notified via phone call and sent an award letter through email. Given that we have a rolling admission basis, we cannot guarantee that will happen by a particular date. Additionally, please understand that there is an increase in turnover scholarship funds after Admission Decision Day. We will then continue to reallocate those awards as students choose to attend other schools until we have our final class size and all the funds are exhausted. This back and forth can continue up until as late as orientation, so please be cognizant of this timeline as it will be lengthy.

Beyond this, you can find other scholarship opportunities on AcademicWorks (the main FIU scholarship system) as well as by exploring as many companies/organizations that you know of who potentially offer external scholarships. We strongly encourage that you continue to look into as many avenues as possible. Although admission scholarships are awarded to the incoming class initially, other scholarship opportunities will become available throughout your medical career at HWCOM. Almost all of these internal HWCOM scholarships will be posted on AcademicWorks and available only to current HWCOM students.

We will always offer you the maximum funding that you are eligible to receive based on your residency and housing status, regardless of whether that total is comprised of only federal student loans or a combination of loans, grants, and/or scholarships. Estimated award letters with loan eligibility and cost of attendance information are sent out in April. Final award packages containing any potential grant or scholarship are posted online in your MyFIU student portal around May-June."

I reached out yesterday and I'll post their response here:

"Please note that the HWCOM Scholarship Committee has been meeting since January to award admission scholarships. Students will be contacted individually if they are selected as a recipient for either a merit, need, or diversity scholarship. Should the Scholarship Committee choose to offer you a scholarship, you will be notified via phone call and sent an award letter through email. Given that we have a rolling admission basis, we cannot guarantee that will happen by a particular date. Additionally, please understand that there is an increase in turnover scholarship funds after Admission Decision Day. We will then continue to reallocate those awards as students choose to attend other schools until we have our final class size and all the funds are exhausted. This back and forth can continue up until as late as orientation, so please be cognizant of this timeline as it will be lengthy.

Beyond this, you can find other scholarship opportunities on AcademicWorks (the main FIU scholarship system) as well as by exploring as many companies/organizations that you know of who potentially offer external scholarships. We strongly encourage that you continue to look into as many avenues as possible. Although admission scholarships are awarded to the incoming class initially, other scholarship opportunities will become available throughout your medical career at HWCOM. Almost all of these internal HWCOM scholarships will be posted on AcademicWorks and available only to current HWCOM students.

We will always offer you the maximum funding that you are eligible to receive based on your residency and housing status, regardless of whether that total is comprised of only federal student loans or a combination of loans, grants, and/or scholarships. Estimated award letters with loan eligibility and cost of attendance information are sent out in April. Final award packages containing any potential grant or scholarship are posted online in your MyFIU student portal around May-June."
Thank you for this!

• Love
Thank you for this!
Has anyone received their AcademicWorks login info or even an acceptance letter via snail mail? I was accepted in November and haven't gotten anything.

Last edited:
Has anyone received their AcademicWorks login info or even an acceptance letter via snail mail? I was accepted in November and haven't gotten anything.
I received an acceptance letter in the mail sometime in November/December and was accepted in October. It was the same "letter" we received online when you were accepted. I submitted my diversity essay shortly after acceptance and haven't received any word on my financial aid package. Although it is frustrating, I think we just have to bite the bullet and be patient and ultimately hope for the best. I am OOS as well. Not sure if OOS is likely to hear about financial aid later than the IS students, but that could be a factor as well.

I received an acceptance letter in the mail sometime in November/December and was accepted in October. It was the same "letter" we received online when you were accepted. I submitted my diversity essay shortly after acceptance and haven't received any word on my financial aid package. Although it is frustrating, I think we just have to bite the bullet and be patient and ultimately hope for the best. I am OOS as well. Not sure if OOS is likely to hear about financial aid later than the IS students, but that could be a factor as well.
Appreciate your response, thank you :) I'm OOS as well!

Hi guys! Have you guys heard that FIU holds back as much as 20% of the class to keep their Step averages super high? I’m just now reading about this and kind of freaking out ...

Hi guys! Have you guys heard that FIU holds back as much as 20% of the class to keep their Step averages super high? I’m just now reading about this and kind of freaking out ...
Where did you hear this from? Just curious because I haven't read about that anywhere...

Also STEP is going p/f in 2022 anyway so I can't imagine this can continue.

Where did you hear this from? Just curious because I haven't read about that anywhere...

Also STEP is going p/f in 2022 anyway so I can't imagine this can continue.
It was in the 2016-2017 FIU thread. And I was looking at some other FIU vs X med school threads and it was mentioned there as well. I guess you’re right, now that step 1 is P/F it doesn’t really make sense for it to continue to happen

It was in the 2016-2017 FIU thread. And I was looking at some other FIU vs X med school threads and it was mentioned there as well. I guess you’re right, now that step 1 is P/F it doesn’t really make sense for it to continue to happen
I feel like that’s not sustainable....?

Link to the comment

Last edited:
Not sure if it's true. I hope it's not cause I am planning on matriculating here in the fall :/
A lot can change in 4 years too. If it’s something that concerns you reach out to the admission office and some current students. I’ll add that there are many rebuttals to that poster from other students at that time if you keep reading.

Last edited:
  • Love
That sounds about right considering the stats of the students they have matriculated in past years and the step numbers they reported.
A lot of schools like to polish their numbers to help students decide to spend their money at that school, so good on you for doing some research and trying to see the method behind the marketing madness.

For example, a fun one I always cite from the Caribbean; did you know SGU's step 1 pass rate is in the upper 90's?

Something else to consider for those who are trying to decide between the DO vs. Carribbean route:

USMLE FIRST TIME PASS RATES averaged over past 5 years:

SGU >90% :thumbup:
ALL DO SCHOOLS ~70% :thumbdown:

The numbers speak for themselves.

http://www.usmle.org/scores/2003perf.htm
http://www.sgu.edu/nhome.nsf/webcontent/7FAF8AA7F3A042D085256B6C005285A1?OpenDocument&top=med

You just have to pass their in-house simulated board exam first... and if you can't, you might have to pack your bags and go home without ever sitting for Step 1 so you don't ruin their great statistics... :laugh:

Fair?

That sounds about right considering the stats of the students they have matriculated in past years and the step numbers they reported.
A lot of schools like to polish their numbers to help students decide to spend their money at that school, so good on you for doing some research and trying to see the method behind the marketing madness.

For example, a fun one I always cite from the Caribbean; did you know SGU's step 1 pass rate is in the upper 90's?

You just have to pass their in-house simulated board exam first... and if you can't, you might have to pack your bags and go home without ever sitting for Step 1 so you don't ruin their great statistics... :laugh:

Fair?
I get that this happens at Caribbean schools but that's to be expected considering they will admit basically anybody. I thought that at a USMD school I would be safe from this bull**** :(

I don't think its directly because they want to keep their STEP score averages high, but more likely because if you fail two blocks you have to retake the year. Isn't their pass also a 75+? I spoke to a couple of current students after getting accepted and they all knew of someone/multiple people that had to redo their first year.

I also was told from a friend that in this past year, more people left/dropped out than most years. Some medical, some just dropped the medical track in general.

As someone who will potentially be attending, these stats make me feel a little uneasy.

I don't think its directly because they want to keep their STEP score averages high, but more likely because if you fail two blocks you have to retake the year. Isn't their pass also a 75+? I spoke to a couple of current students after getting accepted and they all knew of someone/multiple people that had to redo their first year.

I also was told from a friend that in this past year, more people left/dropped out than most years. Some medical, some just dropped the medical track in general.

As someone who will potentially be attending, these stats make me feel a little uneasy.
Yeah, I've heard this too. Terrifies me since I will also likely be attending, and moving across the country to do so... :(
(also yes, all their classes are P/F now but 75 is the cut off for pass)

oh goodness this is scary. on my cafecito hour day they mentioned the reason a few people may be held back is usually due to personal/family reasons. They made it seem like the average person is not likely to drop out which I sort of believe since people I know who have attended here have done fine. I wonder if it's just the medical curriculum in general and not FIU's fault (though having a policy in place like this IS sus lol)

oh goodness this is scary. on my cafecito hour day they mentioned the reason a few people may be held back is usually due to personal/family reasons. They made it seem like the average person is not likely to drop out which I sort of believe since people I know who have attended here have done fine. I wonder if it's just the medical curriculum in general and not FIU's fault (though having a policy in place like this IS sus lol)
After talking with some current students, it really seems like in previous years only a few students dropped out or were held back - which is normal for all medical schools (people decide medicine isn't for them or other personal reasons). The class of M1's seemed to experience a greater number of students who dropped out primarily because of covid and its implications. I feel a lot better after talking to current students :) but I did reach out to the admissions office regarding my concerns and haven't heard back yet.

Reactions: 4 users
I called them this week and they said "we are Interviewing until March/late april" but it doesn't look like it from this thread

I received an interview invitation on the first week of March and interviewed the following week. They are still interviewing! Don’t lose hope!!