2020-2021 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes the lowest interest federal loan caps around $42k.

For the rest... 'Grad loan plus' (also a federal loan) covers the other 40ish thousand for a few % more in interest. There is zero need for personal/private loans for the average student who can live on under $80k a year. Your FAFSA determines how much federal loans you can take out, so fill those out, it takes like 10 minutes.
Problem is - FIU OOS COA is 108K lol :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Oh My God Reaction GIF

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
No II yet...should i give up hope? I called and they said they stop interviewing April 1st...
Same boat here. Haven't seen many II on here recently and don't know if they would send II's next week with only a day or two to prepare for. But I'm still holding out hope and if it doesn't work out then I'll just have to work on how to improve. I just want to know my fate so I can move and not be stuck in this waiting anymore

Right But Grad Plus Is credit-based, and some students don't qualify or get high interest.

Wow, my bad people. I didn't realize you OOS people were getting hit so hard... I'm IS so I hadn't considered what they could do to you OOS folks, plus living in Miami. Talk about a double whammy!

Wow, my bad people. I didn't realize you OOS people were getting hit so hard... I'm IS so I hadn't considered what they could do to you OOS folks, plus living in Miami. Talk about a double whammy!
I'm a CA resident and even Western (DO) is like $80k a year in tuition....not including COA.....so would rather just suck it up and go here a million times over LOL because I love the program

Reactions: 1 users
would ~love~ to know if anyone knows or has any idea how generous FIU is with scholarships/grants... (especially for OOS students), I've heard conflicting things.

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current students speak to transportation? Is having a car absolutely necessary, or can I get away with riding a bike/taking the bus for a few weeks before managing to get my car from the west coast?

Out of all the schools I applied to, this one has felt so oddly silent for like, most of the cycle.

Kinda sucks...

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of all the schools I applied to, this one has felt so oddly silent for like, most of the cycle.

Kinda sucks...
Most of the cycle? Try all of the cycle lol. Complete early August and still no pre-II . They might just be doing silent Rs here.

• Care
The last day of interviews is this Thursday. They're calling people that have cancelled their II's last minute...

The last day of interviews is this Thursday. They're calling people that have cancelled their II's last minute...
Nope. They called to offer me an interview, I never cancelled a II (nor have I been offered one in the past from them). This is the first I’ve heard from them since I submitted my secondary.

I meant they're calling because other people have cancelled their II's and the last interview date is this Thursday so they are trying to fill it up ASAP.

Nope. They called to offer me an interview, I never cancelled a II (nor have I been offered one in the past from them). This is the first I’ve heard from them since I submitted my secondary.
Did they mention what dates are available?

Oooo yeah maybe lol

516/3.96 URM and alumni
Thanks for the heads up @kidddo598!

If you're reading this FIU admissions, I've been on the waitlist for like 3 months now. Feel free to hmu any time now, lol.

Anyone else feel like there's going to be massive waitlist movement this cycle because of the online interviews allowing people to go on an unlimited number of interviews without cost being a limiting factor?

Thanks for the heads up @kidddo598!

If you're reading this FIU admissions, I've been on the waitlist for like 3 months now. Feel free to hmu any time now, lol.

Anyone else feel like there's going to be massive waitlist movement this cycle because of the online interviews allowing people to go on an unlimited number of interviews without cost being a limiting factor?
I hope there’s a lot of movement I sent an LOI in to FIU so fingers crossed!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
If anyone happens to receive scholarships or grants from FIU please post it!! lol

Reactions: 4 users
I meant they're calling because other people have cancelled their II's and the last interview date is this Thursday so they are trying to fill it up ASAP.
Do y'all think they will be making more calls tomorrow or was today the day and thats it?

More calls tomorrow and maybe even on Thursday , depends on if people cancel though

One pre-II R wasn’t enough, so they just sent me a second one :rofl:

Pre-II R here as well, IS.

• Care
The Pre-II R wave has finally come. Best of luck to everyone <3

Pre-II R. IS. This one is tough really loved this school....

• Care
Accepted IS student here! Are there any MS3s or MS4s I can speak to about their experiences at FIU?

Can any current students speak to transportation? Is having a car absolutely necessary, or can I get away with riding a bike/taking the bus for a few weeks before managing to get my car from the west coast?
Im from Miami so i can tell you that a car is absolutely necessary unless you plan to live on or very near campus and you don't plan to go anywhere else at any point in your med school career. Weather is extremely variable, public transport, albeit available, is somewhat unreliable, and everything is too far to walk. so personally i would recommend getting a car.

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe it was an April fools joke and everybody who got the R today will get an II tomorrow.