2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted peeps - did you send a letter of intent or anything like that after your interview but before hearing back?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Long-time lurker first-time poster excited to say I got the A this morning!! Interviewed 11/12. This is the only interview I've been invited for so far this cycle and GW is one of my top choices so I am extremely relieved and excited!

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How are you all sending your updates: through the portal or by email?
Portal!

edit: in case this helps, my updates are in "letter form" addressed to the adcom committee and i have a very short "this is why i like this school" paragraph to close

Reactions: 1 users
Portal!

edit: in case this helps, my updates are in "letter form" addressed to the adcom committee and i have a very short "this is why i like this school" paragraph to close
Awesome, just sent mine through the portal - been complete since the end of August and have only heard about being placed on hold. Talked about a significant clinical experience that I've been doing since my time of application and how it connected to the school. Hoping to hear something soon! And congrats on your II!

• Care
do you guys suggest sending an update letter now ( vs the potential of adcoms being on winter break) or waiting it out til Jan (potential of an R)?? On hold at the moment. Thanks

do you guys suggest sending an update letter now ( vs the potential of adcoms being on winter break) or waiting it out til Jan (potential of an R)?? On hold at the moment. Thanks
I’m in the same predicament. Would love to get someone’s opinion on this

I sent my update last night. For what it’s worth 🤷🏼‍♀️. Sooner than later IMO.

Reactions: 4 users
Placed on alternate list. Interviewed 12/1

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Pre-II R this morning. Complete 10/15, Hold 11/20. I never went back under review which was strange. Good luck to everyone else!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R this morning. Complete 10/15, Hold 11/20. I never went back under review which was strange. Good luck to everyone else!
Mine was completed on October 23 and it was placed on hold on November 14. I haven't heard back yet but this is making me nervous.

II this morning! :O Complete late July and was on hold until now.

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
Alternate list. Interviewed 12/1

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does GW reject any applicants post-interview?
According to what I saw on previous threads, it seems like approximately 15-20% people get accepted right away from interview, 80-84% get waitlisted, 1% get rejected (saw like one or two mentioning post II R). So practically, you should not get rejected unless you really offended them

Reactions: 2 users
I do not think a person that may need to work on their interviewing skills (possibly on the spectrum, has anxiety issues...) and is rejected, "really offended" anyone. Just saying the quality of sensitivity is a good thing to demonstrate towards all.
When I said ‘offend’, I meant to say applicants who sounded arrogant or condescending. After all, GW does not reject post II as far as I am aware. The last person to mention post II R was an applicant from ~7 years ago, so I did not think lacking interviewing skills due to any reasons would be considered when I mentioned offending the instituition (bc those would not get rejected due to how GW operates). But yea, you are right; didn’t mean to sound insensitive at all!

"bc those would not get rejected due to how GW operates"? Just curious, how do you know this? How does GW operate?

I have worked extensively with the "disabled" population. Only 3% of the students in med school identify as "disabled," while the overall population has a much higher percentage. Many schools/employers do not provide adequate accommodations for certain disabilities to reach a level playing field. Also, keep in mind, not all applicants post on SDN; I suspect that some that get the R, after the interview, are not eager to post such information just as many that get the A do not post.

Out of the schools that have offered me an interview, 1 asked, as a general question, if accommodations were needed.

I don't mean to lecture. I just think the disabled population needs advocacy and more inclusion in medicine and other fields.
Yes I agree with your general message and SDN is a small sample. You are right, GW may reject post II and have no SDN user comment on it for past 7 years. If I sounded insensitive, like I clarified, I did not mean to. However, I hiiiiighly doubt nobody comment on it for this long time. SDN is small, but i just cant imagine the school rejecting that small number of people and include applicants who simply ‘lacked interviewing skills or sounded anxious’ due to whatever reasons

edit: also to answer your question, operate as in majority of interviewed apps get waitlisted and I agree with you that we need more advocacy for the disabled population :). Thanks for your message

Last edited:
Yes I agree with your general message and SDN is a small sample. You are right, GW may reject post II and have no SDN user comment on it for past 7 years. If I sounded insensitive, like I clarified, I did not mean to. However, I hiiiiighly doubt nobody comment on it for this long time. SDN is small, but i just cant imagine the school rejecting that small number of people and include applicants who simply ‘lacked interviewing skills or sounded anxious’ due to whatever reasons
I accept the fact that you did not intend to be insensitive. I fully believe that adcoms reject applicants with disabilities, in part, because the student had not asked for an accommodation (high stigma factor) and/or none was offered so the applicant did not know to make the request. It speaks volumes about the reality of exclusion that only 3% (max) of med school students identify as "disabled." I do believe that applicants that received the R after interviewing, are not inclined to post whether it be within the past few months or a decade. I would think that would be somewhat hurtful particularly if the applicant did not have any other acceptance. I hope you will think about it. Peace.

Does anybody know if this school is still sending out II?
I can't confirm whether they still are this cycle, but I spoke with a current M1 who received his interview the second week of January last year. So there is hope!

Reactions: 3 users
I received an II here on 12/7 (secondary completed 8/9) for Feb 4th. I'm nervous that since I'm interviewing so late that there aren't really spots left and I am just interviewing for a potential waitlist spot. This is one of my top schools, anyone know if they accept people that interview late?

• Care
Abusive. Emotionally abusive. (Re: the email we got)

• Haha
Reactions: 29 users
GW: We're closing our offices briefly. Happy holidays :)

SDN: Wow.. how dare you toy with my emotions like this.

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
I got that email while I was driving to my doctor’s appt (directions were open and I have my med school email set to vip notifications). Damn near needed her to check me in for cardiac arrest!

• Haha
Sorry if someone has asked this, but for those of you who sent an update for an accepted publication, did you type the update in the "message" box then attach a pdf of the abstract? A bit confused about the difference between the message and attaching a pdf. Thank you!

Sorry if someone has asked this, but for those of you who sent an update for an accepted publication, did you type the update in the "message" box then attach a pdf of the abstract? A bit confused about the difference between the message and attaching a pdf. Thank you!
Instead of typing in the message box I created a really simple cover page with the pdf of the paper that included a short paragraph explaining my update

is anyone else still on hold for re-review
I was on hold for re-review from late August until early December. I sent in an update around mid November and got my II in early December. From what I've seen it takes a few weeks to get a response post-update.