2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was on hold for re-review from late August until early December. I sent in an update around mid November and got my II in early December. From what I've seen it takes a few weeks to get a response post-update.
Good to know! I sent an update in mid-late November but no II yet unfortunately. Good luck on your interview!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
sorry if this is a dumb question but what counts as a significant update? do new volunteering involvements count?
From my understanding, something on the level of publication or an activity that fixes a deficit in your app( clinical volunteering if you lack clinical experience).

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, something on the level of publication or an activity that fixes a deficit in your app( clinical volunteering if you lack clinical experience).
I'm lacking clinical volunteer hours and am starting a new volunteer position in the spring semester, but I was told that simply starting something new doesn't warrant an update even though it fills a major gap in my application. Anyone else have thoughts or successes from submitting a similar update?

I'm lacking clinical volunteer hours and am starting a new volunteer position in the spring semester, but I was told that simply starting something new doesn't warrant an update even though it fills a major gap in my application. Anyone else have thoughts or successes from submitting a similar update?
hey!! I updated them in October about a publication + two new volunteer experiences I started and got an interview shortly after! Not sure if that's why but I don't think it hurts :) I basically just included how often I'd be doing each and focused on what I was hoping to get out of them/ how they relate to GW's mission

Reactions: 1 users
anyone who interviewed have any advice? any curveballs or was it pretty conversational?

Reactions: 1 user
anyone who interviewed have any advice? any curveballs or was it pretty conversational?
I interviewed in December. It was super conversational. It’s closed file so they mainly just wanted to get to know me. They asked some generic questions like if I knew what specialty I wanted to go into or why GWU specifically.

I also got a call from a 202 (DC) area code this morning and almost had a heart attack but no it was my work because for a moment I forgot that I am a 202 area code. This next month is going to be roughhhhh

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
I interviewed mid December. Does anyone know how long the admissions committee takes before getting back to us?

Members don't see this ad :)
@habeshamed Conversational with some curveballs. Was asked something to degree of tell me about a time when you did not listen to a superior and what did you learn from it. But biggest challenge was being concise because you only have 30 minutes for the interviewer to get to know you.

Congrats! I also interviewed 12/11 but no word.. do you mind sharing who your interviewer was?

Thank you! I pm’d you

Lol I also interviewed Dec 8th and trying to not overthink it but also I’m overthinking it.

Hang in there folks! Hoping you both hear some good news from GW in the coming days!

• Care
what do you guys think about sending a letter of interest to gwu? I've been on hold since november, don't really have any significant updates, but do really like the school and program

what do you guys think about sending a letter of interest to gwu? I've been on hold since november, don't really have any significant updates, but do really like the school and program
My personal opinion is to go for it with a low-yield school like GW. They're in that strange in-between where they aren't a "needy" school like Jefferson or Georgetown, but they're low yield and like applicants who show sustained interest. There are plenty of people I'm sure who would strongly disagree with me though

My personal opinion is to go for it with a low-yield school like GW. They're in that strange in-between where they aren't a "needy" school like Jefferson or Georgetown, but they're low yield and like applicants who show sustained interest. There are plenty of people I'm sure who would strongly disagree with me though
I sent them an update post interview regarding accepted publication. n=1, it sure didn't hurt me. Did it help? Who knows. I can't see how it would hurt.

pre II rejection just now.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Not me being woken up by a pre-interview R at 7 am o_O. Complete mid-august

• Care
PRE-II Hold --> Rejection

• Care
Pre-II rejection this morning as well. Was on hold since august I think. Good luck everyone!

• Care
pre II R as well, on hold since August. Good luck everyone!

• Care
+1 H to R complete 7/13
So long GW

• Care
Don't worry guys. What would have happened anyway is they would have made you all move to DC, pay anywhere from 1400 for a room in a 2,3, or 4 bedroom (2300+ for a 1 bedroom), and then told you a week before classes start that everything was online. And then also move your Spring semester online, making it so you never had to be in DC to begin with and could have moved back home to save $20,000 that you didn't have.
They did this to everyone- law students, masters students, undergraduates, medical students. And then when people got pissed, they gave the undergraduates a tuition discount. and then when everyone ELSE they screwed got pissed, they "didn't hike our tuition" like they had planned to. Like, thanks. I will continue to pay almost $2K per credit HOUR.

So this is a blessing in disguise and you will all get into better schools that respect their students time, money and mental health because this aint it.

YOU ARE ALL WORTHY OF LOVE AND RESPECT. In life but also from the institutions that you pay hundreds of thousands to!

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
Don't worry guys. What would have happened anyway is they would have made you all move to DC, pay anywhere from 1400 for a room in a 2,3, or 4 bedroom (2300+ for a 1 bedroom), and then told you a week before classes start that everything was online. And then also move your Spring semester online, making it so you never had to be in DC to begin with and could have moved back home to save $20,000 that you didn't have.
They did this to everyone- law students, masters students, undergraduates, medical students. And then when people got pissed, they gave the undergraduates a tuition discount. and then when everyone ELSE they screwed got pissed, they "didn't hike our tuition" like they had planned to. Like, thanks. I will continue to pay almost $2K per credit HOUR.

So this is a blessing in disguise and you will all get into better schools that respect their students time, money and mental health because this aint it.

YOU ARE ALL WORTHY OF LOVE AND RESPECT. In life but also from the institutions that you pay hundreds of thousands to!
I'm sorry you had to go through that. I live in DC (formerly) for work and it really sucks moving somewhere only to not have to actually physically be there - especially someplace as expensive and tumultuous as DC.

Best of luck to you on your med school journey going forward.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I live in DC (formerly) for work and it really sucks moving somewhere only to not have to actually physically be there - especially someplace as expensive and tumultuous as DC.

Best of luck to you on your med school journey going forward.
I've been here for almost 3 years but was trying to move literally anywhere else this year and asked if I could do my last two classes online. Answer was no. Got a new apartment and signed a year-long lease. All Fall classes went online but "spring looked likely to be in person". Then Spring was online.

I understand your frustration, but taking it out on this thread isn't helpful. They get 15,000 applications for ~150 spots. Narrowing down is incredibly difficult. I currently work at GW and the med students who are living near campus during this year seem to be making the most out of it. Tons of them are spending days in different clinics to experience the different specialties available. This past year has been very bizarre for everyone.

And for anyone wondering, rent goes down the further out and away from a metro stop you are. I have friends spending $1000/mo who are a 30min walk from the school without metro access and I'm paying $1375 ($75 for parking) and I'm about 7-8min walk from a metro.

• Okay...
I’m going to DM you because I haven’t been able to find any 1 bedrooms in DC for $1000. I lived on the Metro line in Virginia and paid $1200 for a room in a 2 bedroom.
And the school specifically asked us all not to do in-person activities but that sounds like at least they give their medical students opportunities for in-person interactions with each other to build community! I’ll ask my Dean why we aren’t having in-person events, this was good information, thank you!

Edit; your DMs aren’t open.

I understand your frustration, but taking it out on this thread isn't helpful. They get 15,000 applications for ~150 spots. Narrowing down is incredibly difficult. I currently work at GW and the med students who are living near campus during this year seem to be making the most out of it. Tons of them are spending days in different clinics to experience the different specialties available. This past year has been very bizarre for everyone.

And for anyone wondering, rent goes down the further out and away from a metro stop you are. I have friends spending $1000/mo who are a 30min walk from the school without metro access and I'm paying $1375 ($75 for parking) and I'm about 7-8min walk from a metro.

Pre-II R today, complete early August

• Care
Did they send Rs in one wave, or are they still rolling out?? Need to mentally prepare myself lol

Reactions: 4 users

Are you by any sort part of the admission, or the medical college faculty by any chance ?

Pre-II hold —> rejection

good luck y’all I’ll be unwatching this thread

• Care
Wishing everyone with a pre-II R this morning/yesterday the best and hope y'all get an II or A soon :/

Meanwhile I'll be over here in my silence from GW thinking I'm in danger

ETA: IIs according to a post above are scheduled as far out as Feb 4th. Based on the GW secondary portal where IIs will occur through March, there's still a chance at IIs for those in silence

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Are you by any sort part of the admission, or the medical college faculty by any chance ?
Just a scribe hired by GW directly. But I work in a bunch of clinics and have met tons of faculty and students, sat in on lectures and group sessions, attended grand rounds for different specialties, etc..

Pre-II R as well, complete late July. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

• Care
So i interviewed 12/11 and it seems like they sent out acceptances for that day/week yesterday and today I see there was a waitlist for someone who interviewed 12/18 which was after me.. I sent a thank you email after my interview but other than that haven't contacted them. I don't have any changes or updates to share but right now this is my top choice (only 1 other interview and I prefer GW). Should I reach out or just be patient? I feel a waitlist coming soon but don't know if there's anything I can do to avoid it.
I was 12/8 and also haven’t heard. No news is good news!

• Care