2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Long time lurker, posting for the first time.

Maybe this is not the correct place but since I saw current MD students posting here, I figure I will ask: I'm trying to find the actual cost for going to GW SOM and could not find it on the GW website (maybe, I have not searched enough). Can someone throw some light on it?
I understand that it varies from case-to-case but, in general:
1. Does GW offer scholars to student? If yes, what is the approx % of students who get it? What is the average scholarship amount?
2. What is the additional cost beyond tuition (rent & living expenses)?

I hope to attend GW SOM in a few years and am trying to get a handle on the anticipated costs.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Long time lurker, posting for the first time.

Maybe this is not the correct place but since I saw current MD students posting here, I figure I will ask: I'm trying to find the actual cost for going to GW SOM and could not find it on the GW website (maybe, I have not looked). Can someone throw some light on it?
I understand that it varies from case-to-case but, in general:
1. Does GW offer scholars to student? If yes, what is the approx % of students who get it? What is the average scholarship amount?
2. What is the additional cost beyond tuition (rent & living expenses)?

I hope to attend GW SOM in a few years and am trying to get a handle on the anticipated costs.

Thank you
While I'm not a current MD student at GW, I work there so I can speak to #2. But also, the link for their cost of attendance is - Standard Cost of Attendance for the 2020-2021 Academic Year* | The Office of Financial Aid .

To answer #2, it depends on how far away you're okay with living. I live about a 7min walk to a metro stop and I'm one metro stop away over in northern VA. (GWSMHS is right off of a metro stop which is EXTRA helpful). I pay $1300/mo (+$75 for parking). A friend of mine is a PhD student at GW and pays $1000 and lives in Georgetown. It's about a 30min walk for her without metro access. The general trend throughout the DC metro area is that rent cost goes down the further out from a metro stop you are and the further out of DC you are.

Hope this helps you and anyone else with similar questions! If anyone has additional questions, I'd be glad to try and help!

Edit: Corrected grammar. Pre-coffee responses are not advised.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II just now :) LM 70, OOS. really grateful to receive this interview invitation!!

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
to my waitlisted friends: while we wait patiently til spring, do you guys think GW will have more waitlist movement this cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted on October 20 and still haven't heard back yet. Anyone on the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone sent in a second update letter/think it would be too much to send in a second update?

App complete late July -> On hold since I checked back in late Aug/early Sept -> Sent update letter #1 ~11/26 -> Still on hold

Has anyone sent in a second update letter/think it would be too much to send in a second update?

App complete late July -> On hold since I checked back in late Aug/early Sept -> Sent update letter #1 ~11/26 -> Still on hold
Is your update significant? I mean, GW is one of the schools that are receptive to updates, and now that GWU has been dropping R bombs, I say you have nothing to lose

For those of you who were accepted, any advice for future interviewees? Really excited about this school!

Has anyone thats been waitlisted received any emails in January? On the website it says "beginning in January, alternates will receive instructions on how to maintain their position in the alternate pool...". I haven't received anything yet though.

For those of you who were accepted, any advice for future interviewees? Really excited about this school!
It is a really short thirty minute interview so be ready with a thorough, specific, yet concise answer about why GW.

My interview is tomorrow and I still don’t know what time my student interview is. I’ve only gotten the time/link for the faculty one.

My interview is tomorrow and I still don’t know what time my student interview is. I’ve only gotten the time/link for the faculty one.
I had a similar experience. Don't stress, it should come before 24 hours before

Okay sounds good thanks! Any last minute tips? I haven’t done a closed file interview yet
With a closed file interview it is really really helpful to have your “why do you want to be a physician” story prepped and ready as well as the basic “tell me about yourself”. Also really important to tie everything into specifically why GW for medical education.

Has anyone thats been waitlisted received any emails in January? On the website it says "beginning in January, alternates will receive instructions on how to maintain their position in the alternate pool...". I haven't received anything yet though.
Nothing on my end yet. Last cycle this email was a prompt asking for a blurb on your continued interest in GWU

Are they done with II I still haven’t heard anything 🥺🥺

they sent out an II for last week for late Feb and their portal says they interview into March. So probably a few more to go around if any?

Just finished my interview here.... now we wait 😩

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
is there on campus housing? do most students live on campus or off campus?

Does anyone know how often the admissions committee meets? I interviewed 1/14 and really wanna already know A vs waitlist, but I’m figuring at least a month out is usual for them to decide?

At this point I just wanna know if I'm rejected or not lol. Been more than 3 months of waiting for an II :(

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know how often the admissions committee meets? I interviewed 1/14 and really wanna already know A vs waitlist, but I’m figuring at least a month out is usual for them to decide?
1-1.5 months is when they release decisions post II according to current and past threads

is there on campus housing? do most students live on campus or off campus?
Hi! Current GW student here! There is no on-campus housing, so all students live off-campus. There are lots of apartments and row houses within walking distance of campus. Many students also choose to live in Georgetown, other parts of DC, or in Virginia since there is a metro stop right next to the medical school and hospital.

I haven't gotten anything either :/
I uploaded a second update and I'm planning to send in/upload a letter of intent in a couple weeks, hoping there is going to be a lot more turnover this year

Congrats on finishing your interview! Were they conversational or more structured? And did they go the full 30 minutes?
It was a bit more structured than the other 2 interviews I've done this cycle, but still largely conversational. The interviewers were really nice. And yeah both went the full 30 minutes but they gave me the last 5-10 minutes to ask them questions.

How much time do students typically spend on campus and how many days per week, pre-COVID and during COVID restrictions? Have you heard anything as to what the on-campus plan might be for the upcoming semester and/or when will the administration make a decision? Thank you very much.
The amount of time on campus pre-covid varied a lot student to student depending on if they attended class live or not. The vast majority of the organ system based classes are not mandatory and recorded, so many students watch recordings and therefore aren't on campus as much. I was a full-time class goer so I was on campus 5 days a week ~8am-8pm and then would spend some time on weekends in the library depending on if exams were approaching. For students that didn't attend most classes live there are still requirements to be on campus ~2-3 times per week.

Post covid pre-clinical students got to pick either the fully virtual or hybrid curriculum option, which only applied to the Practice of Medicine course. For hybrid students, they were on campus ~1x/week for class with slightly limited library hours available.

No word on what campus will look like in the Fall, but I think everyone is hoping and preparing for a return to on-campus classes. I also don't know of a timeline for announcing decisions since there is still so much unknown with regards to what covid will look like come August.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does this school give any merit based aid or scholarships or is it all need based ?

Does this school give any merit based aid or scholarships or is it all need based ?
There are some merit based scholarships that are awarded prior to matriculation and there are also scholarships that students can apply for once enrolling throughout all 4 years of med school! The financial aid office often sends out emails to current students about various scholarship opportunities, many of which are merit/area of interest-based.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I just randomly checked my portal again today and I went from hold (since like July) -> under review. Did this happen to anyone else before? Does anyone have any insight as to whether this a good or a bad thing lol? Thank you!

I just randomly checked my portal again today and I went from hold (since like July) -> under review. Did this happen to anyone else before? Does anyone have any insight as to whether this a good or a bad thing lol? Thank you!
This happened to me and I got an II two days later. Same thing happened to others I believe. So It should be good news soon!

Reactions: 3 users
This happened to me and I got an II two days later. Same thing happened to others I believe. So It should be good news soon!
Awesome. Fingers are crossed. Thanks so much!!

Have any accepted students done anything for financial aid yet? I don't think this year's financial aid form is on their website yet to fill out and apply

II this morning! Complete mid-July. Sent an update early Jan. Beyond excited, I love this school :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Where do you live (DC, Arlington, G-town...)? How did you find housing? What kind of housing do you have?
I live in Foggy Bottom about a 5 minute walk from campus in an apartment complex. I share a 2 bedroom with a 3rd year, but many people live alone, live with other med students, or live with non-med friends. The admissions office will post about housing information in the Accepted Students FB page which I found really helpful! They provide information about where previous students have lived, reviews on various apartments, and a way to connect with other accepted students so you can find a roommate if you want one! There are lots of housing options in DC and since it's such a big city places are always opening up, so you don't need to stress about finding housing far in advance. I signed my lease in May, but I think many students wait until even later than that to nail down their housing.

Did you get a 'on hold and under re-review' status before your II or just a 'under review' status? Not even sure if review and re-review are different statuses lol

Interviewed 1/14 and just got notified that I am on the alternate list :/

Last edited:
  • Care
I've seen a few people in this thread post about sending a letter of intent post-interview but pre-decision. I interviewed last week and this truly is my top choice, but a lot of people have said to wait until they give you A vs. waitlist. Anyone who was in this position earlier in the cycle have any advice?