2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, a current student at GW now. I just want you guys to know that we are so proud of you for making this incredibly tough year. There are about 17000 applicants this year which is just insane. The admission team recently invited more student interviewers as the M2s are stepping down preparing for their USMLE exam. That means they are still sending out interview invites and will conduct more interviews for sure! Send in updates and keep yourself in the loop! GW admission really treats every application with a sincere heart and loves to see students showing commitment to the school. Feel free to message me if you have questions too! Tho I might not reply in time but I will try :)
Just want to say thank you for the (well needed) positivity/hope!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Anyone know how the admissions committee operates? Like do they meet once a month to decide on candidates or something? Thanks!

anyone still on hold from july? i do be dying of impatience

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received a post-II rejection from GWU just now. Didn’t know they even gave these out anywhere. I must be a unicorn. After 4 interviews, I received one rejection, one deferral (no decision has been made), and one WL. I’m still awaiting the
decision of the 4th interview. It just feels demoralizing with high stats (that didn’t come naturally to me and I had to work for) and relevant extracurricular activities - that I might have to reapply next cycle. It just hurts even though I’m not really feeling anything right now.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 32 users
Received a post-II rejection from GWU just now. Didn’t know they even gave these out anywhere. I must be a unicorn. After 4 interviews, I received one rejection, one deferral (no decision has been made), and one WL. I’m still awaiting the
decision of the 4th interview. It just feels demoralizing with high stats (that didn’t come naturally to me and I had to work for) and relevant extracurricular activities - that I might have to reapply next cycle. It just hurts even though I’m not really feeling anything right now.
Sorry to hear that... can I ask when did you interview?

Can anyone shed some light (or PM me) on which hospitals GW most closely affiliates with? I see so many on their website, and I'm really interested in speaking about hospitals that serve diverse patient populations in my interviews, especially those that mainly treat medically underserved communities!

Thank you!

Can anyone shed some light (or PM me) on which hospitals GW most closely affiliates with? I see so many on their website, and I'm really interested in speaking about hospitals that serve diverse patient populations in my interviews, especially those that mainly treat medically underserved communities!

Thank you!
Hello, I work here so I can shed some light. The hospitals that students rotate in are typically George Washington University Hospital, Children's (for pediatric rotations), and the VA. There is also a new hospital opening in a few years (2024 is the slated opening I believe?) in SE DC which is the most medically underserved region of DC. The close proximity to metro (literally right next door to the hospital and across the street from the outpatient clinics) means that people from all over DC come to GW for care. DM me and I can share examples of the diverse patient populations I've seen in my time as a scribe here so you can have a better grasp! If you're interested in treating the medically underserved, then GW is definitely a great option!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not only does GW give post-ll rejections, but other schools also do as well. Most folks are not eager to share the brutality and honesty in this process on SDN. Thank you VERY much for sharing. I am quite sure it is highly demoralizing to not have been accepted yet. The majority of applicants have not been accepted either. If needed, you will take the next few months/year to reevaluate your application, your ECs, and interviewing skills. If you need to reapply, please be sure to apply on day 1. It will make a very big difference in the application cycle. You can pre-write your secondaries based on the previous year's essay questions. Practice interviewing. You should be able to find free resources through your county and/or through a counseling /psychology practice (so maybe your health insurance will cover the cost). You will be OK and best wishes. Hang in there.

Reactions: 12 users
I'm a tad confused. On interview day, we only need to attend the two interviews via the links sent to our emails, and that's it? No Zoom for all the interviewees that day with information session/financial aid/etc.?

I'm a tad confused. On interview day, we only need to attend the two interviews via the links sent to our emails, and that's it? No Zoom for all the interviewees that day with information session/financial aid/etc.?
they will send you a link to a portal the day before your interview that has information about the school, financial aid, etc, but there isn’t a live session

Reactions: 1 user
It's looking like all responses from interviews in 2021 so far have been within 2-3 weeks. Anyone not hear back yet in that timeframe who interviewed in 2021?

It's looking like all responses from interviews in 2021 so far have been within 2-3 weeks. Anyone not hear back yet in that timeframe who interviewed in 2021?
i haven't yet, interviewed 1/28

Those who have interviewed, did you just send the thank you’s to the admissions email? I forgot to ask for my interviewers’ emails.

Those who have interviewed, did you just send the thank you’s to the admissions email? I forgot to ask for my interviewers’ emails.
Yeah! Just include "ATTN: *Interviewer's name*" in your email subject and it will get forwarded to them

Have they already started rejected people from the Pre-II Hold list?

Hello,
Does anyone know whether the letter of intent should be addressed to the Dean of Admissions (Diane McQuail) or the Director of Admissions (Kevin Nies)? Thank you!

Hello,
Does anyone know whether the letter of intent should be addressed to the Dean of Admissions (Diane McQuail) or the Director of Admissions (Kevin Nies)? Thank you!
I directed it to ‘GW admissions’ in general

When did people who interviewed find out their time/receive their webex link? My interview is tomorrow (~24 hrs) and I don't have one yet.
I got my faculty one 2 days before and the student one 1 day before

they sent an interview day reminder/information email the day before that said to contact them if I hadn’t received my webex links!

my interview is tomorrow. I got my faculty link last night, but am still waiting for the student interview link. LOL I really hope they are not too dispersed throughout the day.

my interview is tomorrow. I got my faculty link last night, but am still waiting for the student interview link. LOL I really hope they are not too dispersed throughout the day.
For my interview they let me know the day before that there wouldn’t be any student interviews on the day of my faculty interview. They then sent me my student interview information 12 hours before it happened 😬

For my interview they let me know the day before that there wouldn’t be any student interviews on the day of my faculty interview. They then sent me my student interview information 12 hours before it happened 😬
That is a bit.... ridiculous lol. How long ago was your interview? Is this a common thing amongst recent interviewees? When did you student interview end up happening relative to your faculty one?

That is a bit.... ridiculous lol. How long ago was your interview? Is this a common thing amongst recent interviewees? When did you student interview end up happening relative to your faculty one?
It was a few weeks ago. My student interview ended up being two days after my faculty one, but when you have a full time job it makes requesting days off pretty tough with that late of notice.

It was a few weeks ago. My student interview ended up being two days after my faculty one, but when you have a full time job it makes requesting days off pretty tough with that late of notice.
As a person with a full-time job, that is challenging. I really hope both my interviews are tomorrow. I still have not heard of my student one and it's literally the afternoon eve. of my interview day.

On this topic, do you have any tips for both interviews? The data/advice on here is sparse hahah. :rofl:

As a person with a full-time job, that is challenging. I really hope both my interviews are tomorrow. I still have not heard of my student one and it's literally the afternoon eve. of my interview day.

On this topic, do you have any tips for both interviews? The data/advice on here is sparse hahah. :rofl:
Just relax and be yourself! I was way too wound up for my faculty interview and it was way more relaxed than I anticipated. Very easy questions, no curveballs. Don’t try to rehearse answers!

Hey guys, a current student at GW now. I just want you guys to know that we are so proud of you for making this incredibly tough year. There are about 17000 applicants this year which is just insane. The admission team recently invited more student interviewers as the M2s are stepping down preparing for their USMLE exam. That means they are still sending out interview invites and will conduct more interviews for sure! Send in updates and keep yourself in the loop! GW admission really treats every application with a sincere heart and loves to see students showing commitment to the school. Feel free to message me if you have questions too! Tho I might not reply in time but I will try :)
Hello! Firstly, thank you so much!! Are they still sending out interviews? Is it worth it/will it do anything to write a letter of interest at this point?

Hello! Firstly, thank you so much!! Are they still sending out interviews? Is it worth it/will it do anything to write a letter of interest at this point?
Would also like to know! I sent in a letter of interest last week but still stuck on the pre-II hold since September :(

do they screen pre or post secondary? sorry if discussed already..... also how holistic are they? low scores but 5 pubs / lots of research and clinical exp..... and outstanding LORs (4 from MDs, one being academic director of master's program...) sent an update letter on friday

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment! Do you happen to know how big the waitlist movement is usually (are there a lot of people in your grade who came from the waitlist etc)? Also, since GW loves continued interest/commitment, do they factor letter of intent with more weight?

Hi all! this probably has been asked already so I apologize for repeating the question but is it best to send a post interview letter of intent after you hear back from them about your status (accepted or WL)? Also, has anyone sent an update letter post interview and do they think it might have helped them in any way?

did people interviewing tomorrow get their interview links?
You can expect it roughly 24 hours before the interview. For example, my two interviews were 12:30 and 1:30 and I got the invites at ~noon and 2pm. It's stressful not getting them until right before, but don't worry! They also send an email around 3 saying "if you did not receive it, contact us". Best of luck tomorrow!

Thanks for your comment! Do you happen to know how big the waitlist movement is usually (are there a lot of people in your grade who came from the waitlist etc)? Also, since GW loves continued interest/commitment, do they factor letter of intent with more weight?
I don't really know about the size of the waitlist move, but I think generally it starts right after the traffic day, so May 1st is probably the day they start sending out notifications. It will continue all the way to July. I knew someone who got in 10 days before school starts. And yes I think a letter of intent will weigh a bit more!

Anyone here have any luck lately going from pre-II hold back to under review/eventual II??