2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone got off the WL yet? Just wondering... I was on the WL for Loyola and just got off so was hoping for GW!
I think movement doesn’t start until April : (

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone got off the WL yet? Just wondering... I was on the WL for Loyola and just got off so was hoping for GW!
They start looking at the WL in late March per the alternate list site they send to WL members. They also said most of their movement is in April

They start looking at the WL in late March per the alternate list site they send to WL members. They also said most of their movement is in April
I don’t remember them sending me an alternate list site, where can we find that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t remember them sending me an alternate list site, where can we find that?

Here is the link

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, a current student at GW now. I just want you guys to know that we are so proud of you for making this incredibly tough year. There are about 17000 applicants this year which is just insane. The admission team recently invited more student interviewers as the M2s are stepping down preparing for their USMLE exam. That means they are still sending out interview invites and will conduct more interviews for sure! Send in updates and keep yourself in the loop! GW admission really treats every application with a sincere heart and loves to see students showing commitment to the school. Feel free to message me if you have questions too! Tho I might not reply in time but I will try :)
Hi @Chromie12, thanks for your message! Do you think they're still sending out interview invites?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I want to send a thank you note to both my student and faculty interviewer. I know I have to send it to the admissions email but I was wondering if I can thank both of my interviewers in one email or if I have to send two emails, separately addressing each interviewer. Thanks!

Hi everyone! I want to send a thank you note to both my student and faculty interviewer. I know I have to send it to the admissions email but I was wondering if I can thank both of my interviewers in one email or if I have to send two emails, separately addressing each interviewer. Thanks!
I usually thank the admissions first then ask them to send thank you note to both of my interviewers.

Those of you who were accepted yesterday- has GW shown up on your AMCAS med school tool?

For the waitlist webinar today, do you guys think our cameras will be off like the previous webinars? I might join during work, so I won’t be dressed formally

Reactions: 4 users
For the waitlist webinar today, do you guys think our cameras will be off like the previous webinars? I might join during work, so I won’t be dressed formally
I'm joining from work too so you won't be alone in work clothes

I'll be at work as well and won't be dressed formally either, so I hope that's okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
**Really long post -- GW Alternate List Webinar

Is the class full? Class is never full until they start for the year. Otherwise wouldn’t answer except that there will be WL movement. No differentiation between those on alt list in October vs. those on alt list in March. They will NOT provide any information on past years on the number of WLs given, number of acceptances off of the WL, and the percentage of people from the current class which came off of the WL.

How can i improve my chances? Send updates/letter of interest, but choose quality over quantity. Upload directly to portal instead of emailing unless you are updating on other school's duedates or something time sensitive. Please don’t show up at the school, and please don’t call. There is no way to see past updates, so you should save them yourself so that you are not repeating things, although if you do a little that’s OK.

If you have additional LORs you can have them send to the medadmit email directly, they should not call the office – make sure they include your full name and AMCAS ID#

Is the pool ranked? there is a private internal rank, you won’t know – rank is fluid however. They’re not always going to pick #1 for an opening, offers are contextual – if admitted student from CO withdraws, they won’t necessarily pick a WL student from CO.

If you want to be taken out of the alternate pool, it is NOT done in the portal, and you need to send an email. this will also happen if you choose “commit to enroll” at another institution

Movement will start by April 15 (deadline to drop to 3 As), typically none in march, bulk of movement oftentimes in May, slows down a LOT in June/July/August. They will eventually close the alternate pool and notify everyone (no ghosting). (My words here: GW talks more about that April 15th date than other schools do; seems lots of admitted applicants remove GW from their top 3 choices on this date).

If you apply for next year it in no way changes your status as an alternate. Encourage you to apply in June if still on WL with no As. If you are not accepted off the waitlist, there is no formal different consideration if you reapply, but it’s “never a bad thing” and the adcom does see it.

You may be contacted by email or by phone, ultimate acceptance letter will be sent by email. They may reach out to you and ask you questions if there is “impending” movement. They can always ask you if you are holding spots somewhere and what your priority list is. They will give you about 24 hours to respond if they reach out to talk to you. If you will have no phone/email access for extended times, you should reach out to them and identify someone else as a contact for them

**Choose Your Medical School Tool: More than 3 acceptances by April 15th—> you must drop down to 3 acceptances, you can stay on as many WLs as you choose as long as you don’t choose “commit to enroll.” After April 30th, you must choose 1 acceptance but can still be on as many WLs as you want provided you don’t choose commit to enroll. If you get new offers after that, you typically have about a week to decide. You can only accept an offer from GWs waitlist if the other school you are into you select “plan to enroll” and that other school does not start for at least 3 weeks/21 days. If you select “plan to enroll” but not “commit to enroll” GW could still see it but won’t see the name of the school. PTE doesn’t “mean a whole lot to them” at GW, so clicking PTE shouldn’t hurt your chances in the alternate pool. You don’t need to tread carefully with PTE, but you DO need to tread carefully with commit to enroll because then they can’t extend you an offer.

GW has some institutional financial aid forms to fill out, you should have that ready but DO NOT submit it unless you are accepted. Should fill out FAFSA now. You can be considered for merit scholarships off of the WL. Does getting in later off WL affect financial aid package? he claims it doesn’t and it will be expedited, the priority dates are not a problem

You can tell them about DO deadlines for deposits but they likely won’t move anything because of it

Kevin Nies’ speculations on the COVID med school cycle™ : April 15th & April 30th will still initiate most of the movement due to admitted students choosing other schools. In terms of virtual interviews, he would guess that the zero $$ cost of interviews this year means that more high-tier applicants are accepting more interviews, which could provide more space for alternate list applicants – yet doesn’t see that making giant waves in terms of alternate list movement.

Waitlisted students are never allowed to attend second look day, but there will be virtual recordings from second look day that will be made available.

There isn’t one particular day that the adcom meets or sends out decisions

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
Just withdrew my acceptance to this program- hope the A will go to one of you guys on hold!

• Care
Reactions: 29 users
admitted students, fyi: my financial aid package was just posted today. had to check Gweb and randomly saw it, didn't receive an email yet. also hmu if you're looking for a roommate (I'm male, but don't have a gender pref for my roommate) :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Pre-II R, complete end of August, sent significant updates.

• Care
pre-ii R just now. complete in july, on hold since august, OOS, sent update letter in Nov :( super bummed as this has been a top choice since early in undergrad

• Care
Pre-ii R, complete July and I sent 3 updates

• Care
Pre-II R just now. Put on hold a while ago.

• Care
Pre II-R after being complete in July. Not surprised given they seem to be almost done with their interview cycle.

best of luck y’all :)

• Care
Pre-II R, but it's all good, best of luck to everyone still interviewing and waiting, you'll definitely end up where you're meant to be, no matter where that is :)

• Care
Caught the Pre-II R this morning after being on hold! No hard feelings and congrats to those accepted!

• Care
Has anyone gotten any post interview results today?

Put on alternative list today. Interviewed 02/05.

• Care
If I’ve been on hold since July but wasn’t rejected today (yet lol), what does this mean? How far out are they doing interviews?