2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard what kind of iPad they give out to students during orientation?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the chance to visit the campus in a couple weeks, would it be totally out of the question or even worth reaching out to admissions to see if I could meet with faculty or a current student since interviews were online this year?

I'm currently waitlisted and would love to write a letter of intent (last sent just an update/interest) but idk that I have anything new to add about why i want to go there lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the chance to visit the campus in a couple weeks, would it be totally out of the question or even worth reaching out to admissions to see if I could meet with faculty or a current student since interviews were online this year?

I'm currently waitlisted and would love to write a letter of intent (last sent just an update/interest) but idk that I have anything new to add about why i want to go there lol
At the WL webinar Kevin Nies said "Please don't show up at the school," but I don't think it's out of the question for you to email them beforehand and let them know you'll be in the area. Worst they would do is say no to a meeting with faculty/student.

Reactions: 1 users

I currently work at GW and know some current students. I would email admissions first to ask, but send me a PM if they don't get back to you about it.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
To anyone who was put on the alternate list in the last two weeks or so: Have you gotten any more information about the webinar they were talking about?
"We are happy to announce that we are holding a webinar designed to allow alternates to learn more about the alternate pool as well as to ask about next steps. "

To anyone who was put on the alternate list in the last two weeks or so: Have you gotten any more information about the webinar they were talking about?
"We are happy to announce that we are holding a webinar designed to allow alternates to learn more about the alternate pool as well as to ask about next steps. "
When was this sent out? They had a webinar a couple of months ago for this exact purpose I believe. Maybe you're thinking of that one?

Hey friends, any accepted students on here get a schedule of when orientation/first classes start? Just a curious and hopeful waitlisted applicant here. I suppose a lot is still probably in the air with COVID-related changes and such.

Hmm. I'm an alternate and I didn't get an email, any way you can paste the email info in a pm for me? Sorry about that, thank you!
I’m an alternate and didn’t get that email either, can someone post more details?

I went here for undergrad/have a lot of friends in the med school now and I don’t think it’s finalized yet but they usually start around mid-august. I also think the plan is to be in-person for most things!! hoping us waitlisted people start to hear back soon 😅

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey friends, any accepted students on here get a schedule of when orientation/first classes start? Just a curious and hopeful waitlisted applicant here. I suppose a lot is still probably in the air with COVID-related changes and such.
Orientation starts August 4th. Classes start August 9th. During second look, they said that the white coat would be at the end of orientation (so I assumed August 6th). They are hoping to make a decision regarding if they’re going to do an in person white coat or postpone it like they did for the year above (I believe they haven’t done it yet and are hoping to do it soon). They’re fairly confident that things will be in person to some extent but are worried about planning things that involve large groups, especially with potential COVID variants.

Orientation starts August 4th. Classes start August 9th. During second look, they said that the white coat would be at the end of orientation (so I assumed August 6th). They are hoping to make a decision regarding if they’re going to do an in person white coat or postpone it like they did for the year above (I believe they haven’t done it yet and are hoping to do it soon). They’re fairly confident that things will be in person to some extent but are worried about planning things that involve large groups, especially with potential COVID variants.
MS1 here. Most of us have gotten our white coats, but we had no ceremony. They are planning on likely doing it after STEP 1 (so in about a year). I believe that the incoming MS1s will not have an in person ceremony, though.

Random question - since today is the "deadline" to narrow down acceptances to 3 choices, do applicants have to withdraw from the other places they have been accepted to manually, or does AMCAs do it automatically? I am just wondering because I am on waitlists at a few places and wondering about movement.

Random question - since today is the "deadline" to narrow down acceptances to 3 choices, do applicants have to withdraw from the other places they have been accepted to manually, or does AMCAs do it automatically? I am just wondering because I am on waitlists at a few places and wondering about movement.
You do it manually. It's not a strictly enforced process. Individual schools have their own deadlines, but the April 15th date is encouraged for the sake of other applicants.

You do it manually. It's not a strictly enforced process. Individual schools have their own deadlines, but the April 15th date is encouraged for the sake of other applicants.
Thank you for the clarification @bristent! Here's to hoping peeps withdraw to help out us peeps on waitlists. Sending good luck to people still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
MS1 here. Most of us have gotten our white coats, but we had no ceremony. They are planning on likely doing it after STEP 1 (so in about a year). I believe that the incoming MS1s will not have an in person ceremony, though.
Question--- do you have any idea when GW awards merit-based scholarships for new students? Thank you.

Hi guys, quick question, if we are ONLY waitlisted and do not have any acceptances so far, do we need to do anything on amcas today and on April 30th or do we still just sit back and wait. Is there anything that we need to do to notify them of our situations?

“Unfortunately, our buildings are closed to the public at this time and we are unable to arrange any in person visits/tours.”

this was the entire response in case anyone was wondering!

Question about financial aid, if you’ve been given an award/loan package is there a deadline to when you must accept or decline the aid?

Question about financial aid, if you’ve been given an award/loan package is there a deadline to when you must accept or decline the aid?
I think they recommended that we accept/decline at least ~a month prior to orientation so that the funds get deposited to our accounts in a timely manner. But they did not mention a hard deadline.

Does anyone know how long GW gives you to respond to an acceptance of the alternate list?

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet?
We'll probably have to wait until this week or next week. Last year, the first person posting regarding getting accepted off the waitlist was April 27 (emails asking if individuals are still interested on April 23) and the year before was April 23. Best of luck everyone! Keep up the positivity!

Reactions: 7 users
question about fin aid: does anyone know how long it takes to get your aid package after sending in forms? thanks!

When someone sends an additional LOR to GW by email, do I need to also notify GW through the applicant portal that they sent one in or am I fine?

When someone sends an additional LOR to GW by email, do I need to also notify GW through the applicant portal that they sent one in or am I fine?
The LOR should be uploaded to the portal. Then you'd get an email that your update will be processed. I'm not too sure about sending the LOR via email, but my guess is it'd work the same way. You should be fine.

The LOR should be uploaded to the portal. Then you'd get an email that your update will be processed. I'm not too sure about sending the LOR via email, but my guess is it'd work the same way. You should be fine.
They said that any additional letters of recommendation should be sent directly to their admissions email though, I'm not sure that they want us to send LORs to the portal!

I vbelieve that you think I am talking about letter of intent, not letter of recommendation!

Just accepted from the WL!

• Wow
Reactions: 14 users
To the people who just got in- Congrats!! jw when were you placed on the waitlist, curious if there a correlation between being on the list earlier and having your app re-reviewed

To the people who just got in- Congrats!! jw when were you placed on the waitlist, curious if there a correlation between being on the list earlier and having your app re-reviewed
I was waitlisted on 3/1 after interviewing on 2/16.

Also, did you guys submit a letter of intent? How long did they give you to make your final decision?

Got accepted off the WL as well about an hour ago! did not submit a letter of intent- only the asked for letter of continued interest when I was waitlisted.

Was it an email notification for WL->A? Congrats to all, you're living the dream!!

Congrats to all of you, hoping the rest of us can cinch an A from the WL too!

• Care
An interesting note: those who reported an A today off the WL all interviewed in February... is this significant?

just got off the waitlist today at 12pm ET! Interviewed 2/4 and got waitlisted on 3/9. I sent in a letter of interest, a letter of intent, and even submitted a song I wrote about the school (not sure if the last one contributed to the acceptance in any way.) I'm so excited as this is my top choice. Best of luck to you all!!

Reactions: 11 users