2020-2021 Hawaii (Burns)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Hawaii

Members don't see this ad.

Can we just talk about the $150 fee they charge to just look at your application. AND despite my husbands orders to pearl harbor which is 7 mintues from the med school campus they won't count that as residency.

Guess ill be on the mainland for med school. I'm withdrawing my app but I needed to get that off my chest.

Good Luck guys!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
AND despite my husbands orders to pearl harbor which is 7 mintues from the med school campus they won't count that as residency.
The strict residency requirements are due to JABSOM being made specifically to train physicians who will want to stay and provide for the people of Hawaii due to the extreme shortage of doctors here. I’m sorry to hear you don’t qualify but I can understand why. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The strict residency requirements are due to JABSOM being made specifically to train physicians who will want to stay and provide for the people of Hawaii due to the extreme shortage of doctors here. I’m sorry to hear you don’t qualify but I can understand why. Good luck to you.
Do you know how they feel about OOS applicants with somewhat strong ties? My fiancée is from Hawaii and her whole family is on the island so I want to apply there so we can move there.

Do you know how they feel about OOS applicants with somewhat strong ties? My fiancée is from Hawaii and her whole family is on the island so I want to apply there so we can move there.
It is much more competitive for anyone OOS but strong ties like yours are definitely what they look for! (There are about 10 OOS students in recent classes.)

They’ll also give you a chance to explain your ties in their secondary so try to emphasize that you would want to practice in Hawaii post-medical school, if true.

Reactions: 1 users
It is much more competitive for anyone OOS but strong ties like yours are definitely what they look for! (There are about 10 OOS students in recent classes.)

They’ll also give you a chance to explain your ties in their secondary so try to emphasize that you would want to practice in Hawaii post-medical school, if true.

That's exactly what I have heard^
Unless you can seriously imagine yourself practicing in Hawaii and you have some experiences there or meaningful connection to the state, I would probably save yourself the $150.

That won't count. From the top of my head the requirements are about your grandparents living there, being born there, or having graduated high school. In this case, strong ties and basically you have blood ties to HI. Please call or check their website before handing over $150

That won't count. From the top of my head the requirements are about your grandparents living there, being born there, or having graduated high school. In this case, strong ties and basically you have blood ties to HI. Please call or check their website before handing over $150
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely call or email them. I would really hope that my situation constitutes strong ties

I do plan to practice in Hawaii if I get the chance to do school there. Honestly I would end up there anyways because my fiancée wants to be by her family.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely call or email them. I would really hope that my situation constitutes strong ties
What melaninDOC_MD listed are some of the requirements to get residency status/tuition but not necessarily what constitutes strong ties (although I agree having your own family in Hawaii would be much stronger). The secondary application simply asks for "any personal connection" to Hawaii &/or JABSOM. And again, it's not just explaining you have ties but explaining that those ties would keep you in Hawaii so based on what you're saying, I would definitely recommend you apply :)

What melaninDOC_MD listed are some of the requirements to get residency status/tuition but not necessarily what constitutes strong ties (although I agree having your own family in Hawaii would be much stronger). The secondary application simply asks for "any personal connection" to Hawaii &/or JABSOM. And again, it's not just explaining you have ties but explaining that those ties would keep you in Hawaii so based on what you're saying, I would definitely recommend you apply :)
Here's the link directly to their website. They want concrete proof. Much more than strong ties.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you be willing to share the secondary prompts for JABSOM?
Yes!

A) Describe in detail how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted you. (600 word limit)

B) Describe a personal experience that has demonstrated your resilience. (600 word limit)

C) Describe any personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii and the Pacific that you may have. (600 word limit)

D) If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Describe what efforts you have made to further improve your application to the MD Program. (600 word limit)
Optional

Again, @melaninDOC_MD those are the guidelines to be considered an in-state applicant, not the baseline to be considered for their program. I think it would be wrong to discourage individuals from applying because they do not meet those requirements.

Will it be much harder to get into the program without that residency status, very much so. Will it be impossible? Obviously not as there are students in the program that have an OOS status.

I was stationed in Hawaii for 2 years at Schofield Barracks and lived in Mililani. I saw firsthand the disparity in the number of physicians and underserved population in Hawaii, most notably the homeless population, which is riddled with mental health and drug dependency issues. I would love nothing more than to go back to Hawaii and be able to address some of these issues as a physician. I do not meet the strict requirements for residency for their program. However, I am still going to apply and I encourage anyone with a passion for these sorts of issues to apply as well. Am I wasting my money? Yes, probably, but i'm still going to take my shot. They can have my 150$.

• Love
Again, @melaninDOC_MD those are the guidelines to be considered an in-state applicant, not the baseline to be considered for their program. I think it would be wrong to discourage individuals from applying because they do not meet those requirements.

Exactly! PLEASE apply if you are passionate about serving disadvantaged communities, specifically those in Hawaii, regardless of whether you'd qualify for residency. Strong ties vs qualifying for residency are not the same thing!

I'm a current MS1 at JABSOM and I believe there is a slightly larger amount of OOS students in my class compared to previous classes so please don't think that you shouldn't apply just because you don't meet residency. (PS feel free to DM me if you have any questions :) I'm happy to help!)

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone aiming for JABSOM have any advice for shadowing on Oahu? I need help finding a doc to shadow during my post bacc..
Thank you!! :)

In my completion email, it stated that we should find out our status within 2 to 4 weeks...this was 4 weeks ago...is no news go news? Does anyone have an idea of what the "status update" would be?

Post-secondary rejection. OOS. complete 24 JUL. Good luck to everyone.

514/ 3.7cGPA. Probably has more to do with connection to state.

Also received a post-secondary rejection about 2 hours ago, then another email saying it was a mistake about 17 minutes after. Wonder how many got that

• Hmm
Also received a post-secondary rejection about 2 hours ago, then another email saying it was a mistake about 17 minutes after. Wonder how many got that
Did they give you any other information about your status?

I was complete 7/21 and haven’t heard anything back and it’s been 4 weeks...do you think it would be appropriate to reach out?

I was complete 7/21 and haven’t heard anything back and it’s been 4 weeks...do you think it would be appropriate to reach out?
I was complete 7/17, and I am just gonna wait. I wouldn't pester them if you haven't received and R yet.

Still no word :/

historically they dont give out II until mid september. With covid it can be possibly pushed back to end of sept/early oct. I would disregard getting any sort of status until the first II’s come out

OOS with ties to state, seem to be hanging on by a thread here. My fellow OOSers falling by the wayside. I know how tough it is for OOS applying to JABSOM (I know and respect how important ties to state w/ intention to practice in HI are due to the exacerbated physician shortage in this state). Crossing fingers to hang on a bit longer.

OOS with ties to state, seem to be hanging on by a thread here. My fellow OOSers falling by the wayside. I know how tough it is for OOS applying to JABSOM (I know and respect how important ties to state w/ intention to practice in HI are due to the exacerbated physician shortage in this state). Crossing fingers to hang on a bit longer.
Sames, good luck.

Hello, does anyone know what they mean by " connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii and the Pacific that you may have " ? I understand the ties to Hawaii part, but what is part of "the pacific"? Does the US territories count?

Thank you in advance!

Hello, does anyone know what they mean by " connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii and the Pacific that you may have " ? I understand the ties to Hawaii part, but what is part of "the pacific"? Does the US territories count?

Thank you in advance!
I think there is leeway in how you interpret "and the Pacific". Probably best to stick to ties where physicians with an MD from JABSOM can practice medicine and serve Pacific Islander populations (however you define that). But, to your question, I imagine Guam, for example, would definitely be a tie they'd consider. Not a student or Adcom member there, though. Just a fellow pre-med.

I think there is leeway in how you interpret "and the Pacific". Probably best to stick to ties where physicians with an MD from JABSOM can practice medicine and serve Pacific Islander populations (however you define that). But, to your question, I imagine Guam, for example, would definitely be a tie they'd consider. Not a student or Adcom member there, though. Just a fellow pre-med.

Thank you. That was still very helpful.

II! Received just now! LizzyM ~70, IS, Complete 8/10

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
II!! Really surprised and thrilled; OOS, complete 7/17.

II 9/2 at around 10 PM PST. "Secondary Received" on 8/6.

Born on Oahu, but currently residing in Los Angeles. I have strong ties to the islands.

Worth applying if I have no ties?