2020-2021 Hawaii (Burns)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Worth applying if I have no ties?
From what I've seen on this and other threads. JABSOM wants to know that you are committed to serving the people of Hawai'i and the Pacific as a physician. If you don't have ties to the states (e.g. currently reside there, lived there for a lengthy amount of time, born and raised, have family/ friends who live there, etc.) then for JABSOM 1) you may not be aware of the prominent health issues in Hawai'i or 2) they need more confidence that you will remain on the islands as a physician. If OOS, then I would try relating your current or previous clinical experiences to major health issues that the residents of Hawai'i and the Pacific face. Hope this helps a bit with your decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone, I submitted my secondary on Jul 27...Still no news yet...they said in the email that "You will be emailed the status of your application in approximately 2-4 weeks." Should I contact the admissions committee?

Hi everyone, I submitted my secondary on Jul 27...Still no news yet...they said in the email that "You will be emailed the status of your application in approximately 2-4 weeks." Should I contact the admissions committee?

I don't think they've updated anyone's status besides the few with II's.
So its really up to you, I think it's a fair inquiry.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Let me know if you reach out! Interested in seeing what they say. Idk why they gave us the 2-4 week thing if they weren’t gonna stick to it

Well seeing OOS applicants on this thread, and a few friends of mine, receive the R's over the weeks I'm wishing I had written more about how I intend to live in Hawaii in the future. However, since I submitted the secondary the same day as my friends who got R, i'm assuming my dedication to underserved communities has them reviewing me a bit more in-depth. No news seems to be good news this far friends! Fingers crossed to all my fellow OOS applicants and hoping ya'll get some II's soon (going nuts not getting my first one yet lol).

Well seeing OOS applicants on this thread, and a few friends of mine, receive the R's over the weeks I'm wishing I had written more about how I intend to live in Hawaii in the future. However, since I submitted the secondary the same day as my friends who got R, i'm assuming my dedication to underserved communities has them reviewing me a bit more in-depth. No news seems to be good news this far friends! Fingers crossed to all my fellow OOS applicants and hoping ya'll get some II's soon (going nuts not getting my first one yet lol).
Nice to know I'm not the only one who's suffering from this eternal silence LOL. Their email was confusing tho, it states clearly that we should have an answer within 4 weeks...

Their email was confusing tho, it states clearly that we should have an answer within 4 weeks...

Haha I know, right? Im guessing it all has to due with the wack cycle and COVID. NOVA said I'd hear back within 2-3 weeks and still nothing from them either so who knows.

II today! App complete 7/20. Intl

From what I've seen on this and other threads. JABSOM wants to know that you are committed to serving the people of Hawai'i and the Pacific as a physician. If you don't have ties to the states (e.g. currently reside there, lived there for a lengthy amount of time, born and raised, have family/ friends who live there, etc.) then for JABSOM 1) you may not be aware of the prominent health issues in Hawai'i or 2) they need more confidence that you will remain on the islands as a physician. If OOS, then I would try relating your current or previous clinical experiences to major health issues that the residents of Hawai'i and the Pacific face. Hope this helps a bit with your decision.

To be truthful, I have no idea if I'd stay. How would I know if I've never been? I could def. see myself falling in love with Hawaii, but you never really know until I get there. Do you know what I am saying? Any advice for me?

hey all, just looking for some opinions about the connection to Hawaii essay since that appears to be very important.

I'm from Hawaii, but I was thinking about putting in a paragraph about my gf since she's from Hawaii and her family lives there too. We've been dating for 5 years, and live together now in the mainland. Getting into JABSOM really would be the catalyst for us to move back home and maybe get engaged ;)

I thought it would be pertinent to include, but she feels that since we're not engaged or anything it might not be good to put weight on her connection too (don't want to seem like I'm making a decision based on her when there's no marriage or anything to "legitimate" things). I think that heck, we've had friends get married after dating only 1 year so including her connection to the state on top of my own strengthens it.
Would you include it? Or leave it out and only mention it if it comes up in the event of an interview?
I would personally leave it out and mention it in an interview because unless you crafted it very carefully it might come across as unprofessional

Just got an email from JABSOM asking for the syllabus to one of my science pre-reqs.
What do we think guys, good sign or bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from JABSOM asking for the syllabus to one of my science pre-reqs.
What do we think guys, good sign or bad?

Id say its a good sign. Sounds like they are interested enough in you to not reject you outright and to follow up to make sure your course meets a pre-req. I feel like it means they are looking at you closely!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
II! 13 minutes ago. OOS w/ family ties. Complete 7/15
Very, very excited.

II today, OOS no ties. Honestly pretty surprised given my stats

For those who received a II, what's the time frame of when they had asked to interview you (e.g. 1 month, 1 week, etc.)? Also, do they send out VITA invites after the interview or before? I only received an email to provide a syllabus about a pre-req class.

For those who received a II, what's the time frame of when they had asked to interview you (e.g. 1 month, 1 week, etc.)? Also, do they send out VITA invites after the interview or before? I only received an email to provide a syllabus about a pre-req class.
You schedule the interview yourself but it appears to be about a month out or longer. And they send out VITA invites the same day.

I just got an email that one of my science prereqs doesn't count ha...ha...ha...
But it seems better than an outright R!

care to share what didn't match up?
one of my undergrad bio classes had lab but it met every other week and was only a 3 credit course...hoping that didn't get my app tossed out here or all the other places with "bio with lab" prereqs!

care to share what didn't match up?
one of my undergrad bio classes had lab but it met every other week and was only a 3 credit course...hoping that didn't get my app tossed out here or all the other places with "bio with lab" prereqs!
My college doesn’t have two semesters of gen chem, so they wanted to see if the first semester was enough.
It was not lol

literally every other med school so far has allowed biochem to count for one of the 4 semesters
but burns wants 2 gen, 2orgo, AND biochem

Last edited:
I was able to schedule my interviews on adjacent days (but not same day, even though I tried). They were scheduled 1.5 weeks after my II.

good luck all ;) I submitted my secondary mid Sep, received an II in late Dec last year. and ended up interviewing late Jan/early Feb.

don't stress out too much about the dates!

II on Thursday, 10/1

Complete before end of July
OOS, but pretty strong ties

Last edited:
Are the secondary deadline dates in Hawaii Standard time?

AND... another OOS bites the dust. Was a long shot anyway. Received the R about an hour ago :/

Good luck everyone! (also manifest that I get that first II soon pls lol)

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
AND... another OOS bites the dust. Was a long shot anyway. Received the R about an hour ago :/

Sorry to hear, may i ask when you were complete?

Best of luck! Manifesting that first II for ya! For what it is worth, I think it is pretty well accepted that JABSOM is one of the harder OOS schools to get into without extremely strong ties to the state.

Has anyone received an "Application Screening Status" email that talks about "Your application has passed the preliminary screening and is in the final stages of verification."? Haven't seen anything about this from anyone on this thread and curious if you did how long it took to get an actual decision back? Thanks in advance!

Has anyone received an "Application Screening Status" email that talks about "Your application has passed the preliminary screening and is in the final stages of verification."? Haven't seen anything about this from anyone on this thread and curious if you did how long it took to get an actual decision back? Thanks in advance!
My OOS friend got one on Tuesday. Has not heard anything since. I feel like it's a positive neutral type of email.