2020-2021 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I may be grasping at straws here but I’m curious to gauge other peoples’ opinions who were optimistic about hearing back yesterday. What do you think the chance is that the winter storm delayed things? Do you think it’s possible we might see some A’s trickle in over the next few days, or will we all just have to wait another month? Ik I sound paranoid but something about how they sent out acceptances yesterday is weird and doesn’t sit right with me, especially when looking at previous months.
Not everybody who got an A uses SDN. There are also people who have interviewed in November who haven’t heard back yet. Relax.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I may be grasping at straws here but I’m curious to gauge other peoples’ opinions who were optimistic about hearing back yesterday. What do you think the chance is that the winter storm delayed things? Do you think it’s possible we might see some A’s trickle in over the next few days, or will we all just have to wait another month? Ik I sound paranoid but something about how they sent out acceptances yesterday is weird and doesn’t sit right with me, especially when looking at previous months.
I expecting to hear back in March so I’m not obsessively checking my email, but I do know that iu had a “Wellness day” today, meaning no classes.... not sure if this would also apply to Adcom. I guess I’m not expecting any A’s to come in the next few days, they might save them all for March.

Reactions: 1 user
Not everybody who got an A uses SDN. There are also people who have interviewed in November who haven’t heard back yet. Relax.
I’m aware of both of these things, but something odd stands out to me both ways.

1) this is a weaker piece of “evidence” but bear with me- only 5 people posted A’s. If you go back and count the previous months, 10+ people AT LEAST posted A’s on here. Someone mentioned earlier that it could just be because they had smaller applicant pools to review, but then what about everyone else? Leads to point 2.

2) no one who interviewed on 1/20 has heard back yet. This is very odd- even in previous months at least a few people would have heard for any given interview date before the 15th of the following month

3) the timing just doesn’t make sense. When has IU ever only sent out a single wave of acceptances before noon on the 15th? Not this year, and not in previous years either. They always send out acceptances in waves, and there was only one wave yesterday.

yes, maybe im an idiot and IU decided to spontaneously change up how they do everything and we won’t hear back until March at the earliest. But that just doesn’t make sense. What makes more sense to me, personally, is that the snowstorm yesterday coupled with the mental health day today made it so that IU didn’t send out all the acceptances they intended to yesterday. Maybe we won’t hear anything until March even if that’s the case, but that would be rather rude on IUs part to make us wait a whole other month if they’ve already made a decision. Not saying that I’m right or that you should believe me, I’m just sharing my opinion and what I think is the most likely option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m aware of both of these things, but something odd stands out to me both ways.

1) this is a weaker piece of “evidence” but bear with me- only 5 people posted A’s. If you go back and count the previous months, 10+ people AT LEAST posted A’s on here. Someone mentioned earlier that it could just be because they had smaller applicant pools to review, but then what about everyone else? Leads to point 2.

2) no one who interviewed on 1/20 has heard back yet. This is very odd- even in previous months at least a few people would have heard for any given interview date before the 15th of the following month

3) the timing just doesn’t make sense. When has IU ever only sent out a single wave of acceptances before noon on the 15th? Not this year, and not in previous years either. They always send out acceptances in waves, and there was only one wave yesterday.

yes, maybe im an idiot and IU decided to spontaneously change up how they do everything and we won’t hear back until March at the earliest. But that just doesn’t make sense. What makes more sense to me, personally, is that the snowstorm yesterday coupled with the mental health day today made it so that IU didn’t send out all the acceptances they intended to yesterday. Maybe we won’t hear anything until March even if that’s the case, but that would be rather rude on IUs part to make us wait a whole other month if they’ve already made a decision. Not saying that I’m right or that you should believe me, I’m just sharing my opinion and what I think is the most likely option.
The reality is these things are beyond your control. The speculation is not going to change their decisions or timeline. Just relax and focus on what you can control and be patient

Reactions: 5 users
Any accepted students still finishing a pre-requisite course and have "pre-requisites missing" on their application?
Yeah, I do! It sounds like that's normal. I told them I was currently taking it during my interview, and they said that's fine, as long as it's finished before matriculation.

Not sure if this is a contributing factor, but remember that the end of December and beginning of January were winter break so that might have affected things. I do know it's an odd pattern...I wasn't expecting to get the email so early so it totally caught me by surprise. I guess there's really not anything anyone can do about it. I'm sure they'll catch up, and maybe a lot of acceptances will go out in March to make up for it.

Also, as an Indiana resident...we got 11 inches of snow from noon on Monday through Tuesday morning, and I know Indianapolis got a lot too. My school closed at 4:30 because the roads were awful. Maybe their campus was also closing early due to the impending blizzard, so they sent them all out in one batch earlier in the day before the snow got bad so they could go home.

People on SDN seem to apply early too, so it would make sense that more of them interviewed earlier in the cycle and were also accepted earlier. I don't know that there's a correlation between the accepted people who posted and the actual number who were accepted. Just throwing out ideas. I hope you get accepted in March :)

Reactions: 1 users
what are you guys eating and wearing for the dinner today ?

Does anyone know how application status updates work? Are they allowed, and if so, should we submit them via the portal or via email to the adcom?

I for sure thought I was going to hear something too and it was a super weird way to send out acceptances, however the fact that nothing happened yesterday makes me skeptical that anything will happen til March. I’m overall very disappointed with the communication from IU. I received my interview invite first week of September, finally was interviewed first week of January, and if I hear in March it will be 7 months overall since the interview invite and next to no communication in between. That’s just absurd!

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to confirm: Are final decisions delivered only via post, or is there an email/call in conjunction with that? And does anyone know if there have been any post-II Rs reported on the thread yet?

Just wanted to confirm: Are final decisions delivered only via post, or is there an email/call in conjunction with that? And does anyone know if there have been any post-II Rs reported on the thread yet?
They send an email on the 15th then you also receive a packet in the regular mail soon after.

Someone was kind enough to PM me and let me know that all decisions (non-WL) will be released by March 15. He/she said something about this information being contained in a PDF IU sent in the mail, so hopefully that puts some of you at ease at least knowing there’s a concrete date!

Someone was kind enough to PM me and let me know that all decisions (non-WL) will be released by March 15. He/she said something about this information being contained in a PDF IU sent in the mail, so hopefully that puts some of you at ease at least knowing there’s a concrete date!
Meaning we'll get a big wave of R's and A's?

For accepted students, beyond completing what is on the portal is there ANYTHING else we need to do? I don't have an account at One.IU and I didn't see any mention of a deposit or anything. I might just be neurotic but I feel like I'm missing something lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
For accepted students, beyond completing what is on the portal is there ANYTHING else we need to do? I don't have an account at One.IU and I didn't see any mention of a deposit or anything. I might just be neurotic but I feel like I'm missing something lol.
No deposits are required for IU

Nope just make sure you check your email and IU will contact you with specific things to do in the next few months.

Given the discussions above over the past week, I just want to add my two cents.

I was accepted 2/15 11:30AM EST, interviewed 1/6, under consideration email 1/19. Many people will not post their acceptances here, and I simply did not as I have been over the moon to be accepted here since Monday. LM74 IS.

Reactions: 7 users
Just withdrew my app. Best of luck to you all!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
This might have already been asked but is there a FB group for accepted students? Also are there any current students I could talk to about the Indy campus?

Did people write thank you letters to their interviewers? And if you did, did you send a separate one to each?

Did people write thank you letters to their interviewers? And if you did, did you send a separate one to each?
I did! I ended up having only one interviewer even though I was scheduled for two, so I don't know if I can really answer your second question appropriately. If you do a thank you note/letter, the only way to get it to your interviewers is by uploading it to the portal.

Selected "plan to enroll" for IUSM. Feeling really good about this school!

Good luck to everyone that's been accepted and to those who've interviewed and are waiting to hear back.

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone had any luck creating their exchange email? I did undergrad at IU so I already have a One IU account but for some reason when I try to get into the exchange account it says the mailbox hasn't been created even though I activated the account. Have they sent any important info to that email??

Anyone else been accepted but not have choose your medical school tool in amcas? It's been 11 days

Has anyone had any luck creating their exchange email? I did undergrad at IU so I already have a One IU account but for some reason when I try to get into the exchange account it says the mailbox hasn't been created even though I activated the account. Have they sent any important info to that email??
I'm having this exact issue. I also did undergrad at an IU campus. I'm wondering if it's too early and the account isn't activated yet. We'll see.

So far IU is still communicating with me through the email that I used to apply to med school. Also the IU online portal has a list of the emails that they've sent to you. So I wouldn't be stressing. I don't think we are missing out yet.

I know it's late in the cycle but for anyone interested IU does take application updates through the online portal. I contacted them yesterday to confirm this.

Has anyone else not had their Dean's Evaluation marked as received?

Has anyone else not had their Dean's Evaluation marked as received?
Hi. I also had this problem. I sent mine in December, then again in February via usps. During my interview checkin, I let the admin know. She said that if it was sent via mail, they might not get it on time because they work remotely and come by their office once in a while. She was kind enough to go to the office for the mail and my letter was marked complete the next day. She also told me that the letter could be sent via email to admissions from your undergrad instead of mailing it to the address. So, if you sent it via mail, you should let them know via email so that they can collect it or you should have your school email it to them directly. I hope this helps.

Does anyone know anything about how they assign your campus? Is it just random who they give the most popular campuses to out of everyone who selected them?

Can any current students, or applicants who know the answer to this help me understand campus placement during clerkship years? Do you get to choose where you will be for rotations? If you get placed at Indy for your first two years, there is a requirement to take some clerkships outside of Indy - do you get to choose when you do this?

Does anyone know anything about how they assign your campus? Is it just random who they give the most popular campuses to out of everyone who selected them?
In years past, there used to be a lottery system of sorts and they tried to make sure each student body at each campus was full of unique and interesting people - not sure as to what sort of characteristics they referred to do by. But it's basically a black box - no one knows for sure how they assign your campus. But they do try to go by your first three choices, sometimes fourth or fifth. It's super rare that you get your last pick. So, it's not entirely random. A rumor my year was that the earlier you put in your campus picks, the more likely you'll get somewhere in your top 3. My advice to you is to make sure you'd be happy at being at your first 4 choices so reach out to friends/etc.
Can any current students, or applicants who know the answer to this help me understand campus placement during clerkship years? Do you get to choose where you will be for rotations? If you get placed at Indy for your first two years, there is a requirement to take some clerkships outside of Indy - do you get to choose when you do this?
If you are a regional student, you can choose to do your rotations through your regional campus (through an application process since your campus may have limited seats for the program) or you can choose to complete your Phase 2 courses at Indianapolis. For the second option, all but one rotation will be through Indianapolis locations.

If you get placed at Indy for the first two years, there is a requirement to take some (maybe most) clerkships outside of Indy at the regional campuses. You do not get to choose when you do this but there may be some leeway with the coordinator. Keep in mind that there will be about 365 students getting scheduled for all of this so there may not be much flexibility for your schedule.

Prior to clerkships, you get to rank in order of preference of the required rotations (i.e. whether you want to do surg first, etc).

Anyone heard about scholarships this month?
Scholarships/financial aid should be coming out in the next couple of months - i.e. March-May was when I received information last year.

Last edited:
In years past, there used to be a lottery system of sorts and they tried to make sure each student body at each campus was full of unique and interesting people - not sure as to what sort of characteristics they referred to do by. But it's basically a black box - no one knows for sure how they assign your campus. But they do try to go by your first three choices, sometimes fourth or fifth. It's super rare that you get your last pick. So, it's not entirely random. A rumor my year was that the earlier you put in your campus picks, the more likely you'll get somewhere in your top 3. My advice to you is to make sure you'd be happy at being at your first 4 choices so reach out to friends/etc.

You don't get to choose where you will be for rotations. If you are a regional student, all but one rotation will be through Indianapolis locations. If you get placed at Indy for the first two years, there is a requirement to take some (maybe most) clerkships outside of Indy at the regional campuses. You do not get to choose when you do this but there may be some leeway with the coordinator. Keep in mind that there will be about 365 students getting scheduled for all of this so there may not be much flexibility for your schedule. Prior to clerkships, you get to rank in order of preference of the required rotations (i.e. whether you want to do surg first, etc).

Scholarships/financial aid should be coming out in the next couple of months - i.e. March-May was when I received information last year.
Thank you!