2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
This question goes for both Joplin & KC campuses, but is a pre-screen still in effect this cycle? The cutoffs for previous cycles have been a 3.25 cGPA/sGPA, and a 501 MCAT. However, I cannot find mention of this minimum anywhere on their website or AACOMAS.

Does anyone know if there is a secondary app this year? have they made other app cycles write essays that go in with the primary?

Members don't see this ad :)
This question goes for both Joplin & KC campuses, but is a pre-screen still in effect this cycle? The cutoffs for previous cycles have been a 3.25 cGPA/sGPA, and a 501 MCAT. However, I cannot find mention of this minimum anywhere on their website or AACOMAS.
I know people who have been accepted that were below the "screen" that was listed on the website, so I would say its not a hard cutoff

anyone know how we’re supposed to apply to the DO/MBA program?

i don’t think i saw any mention of dual degree interest in the primary

Attachments

• 8799B38B-2BA2-4564-860A-88B620FF0753.png
    8799B38B-2BA2-4564-860A-88B620FF0753.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 455
anyone know how we’re supposed to apply to the DO/MBA program?

i don’t think i saw any mention of dual degree interest in the primary
During Orientation, they will come and talk about the program and how to apply! First class typically isn't until the Spring semester. So you dont have to worry about it until classes start!

Source: i am a DO/MBA student.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, I am a second year student at KCU on the KC campus, feel free to DM me any questions you have or ask them here if you like, and good luck this application cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I am a second year student at KCU on the KC campus, feel free to DM me any questions you have or ask them here if you like, and good luck this application cycle!
And I'm a second year at KCU on the Joplin Campus. Feel free to DM questions as well. While both of us can speak to the curriculum at KCU, Schwifty is probably more qualified to talk about the KC campus and living in KC.

Did you apply for both campuses? I applied for the KC campus because I'm from a big city and would prefer KC, but I don't know if I should put that as my reason in the explanation. Thank you!

Any word on interview format this year considering they are likely to all be virtual? I wonder if the timeline will change at all. I really do wish we could have a chance to tour the campus and meet people, but this makes the application cycle waaaaay more affordable (small bonus!).

Also, how many people are usually interviewed throughout the cycle?

Hi guys! Current M3 in KC, I am a bit removed from the application process now (crazy) but can do my best to answer any questions or offer advice. Good luck! :)

Hi guys! Current M3 in KC, I am a bit removed from the application process now (crazy) but can do my best to answer any questions or offer advice. Good luck! :)
Hey! So I accidentally submitted my application without doing the COVID-19 optional prompt, do you think that will affect my application in any way?

Hey! So I accidentally submitted my application without doing the COVID-19 optional prompt, do you think that will affect my application in any way?
I doubt it if it's optional!

Hey everyone! I am a current M2 at the KC campus. I’m currently helping a few people apply this cycle, so if you have any questions feel free to post them here or PM me. Good luck! KCU is a great school and I know you’ll love it here!

Hey everyone! I am a current M2 at the KC campus. I’m currently helping a few people apply this cycle, so if you have any questions feel free to post them here or PM me. Good luck! KCU is a great school and I know you’ll love it here!
Did you apply for both campuses? I applied for the KC campus because I'm from a big city and would prefer KC, but I don't know if I should put that as my reason in the explanation. Thank you!

I applied KC only and this was part of the reason I put! I just said that I would feel more comfortable and I think it would be less of an adjustment on top of adjusting to med school.

I only applied to the KC campus. Part of my reason was that I was from an urban area, I had some family here, I felt I would fit in better in an urban environment, and opportunities for my spouse. If you think you’ll be more successful in the environment at the KC campus then by all means, use that as part of your explanation.

I only applied to KC also and basically said that I had been to KC before, loved it, and felt more comfortable in a city environment

Current 3rd year here available for any questions you might have. I'm a Joplin student fwiw.

I only applied to KC campus cause I’m from a urban area and wanted to live in a city, and I put that as my reason for choosing the KC campus

Hi all, I’m an incoming first year here at KCU at the KC campus! I figured I would just share some info from someone that went through the most recent cycle.

My stats and app dates:

GPA: 3.8+
MCAT: 506-509
Primary submitted: 7/17
Secondary invitation: 8/21
Date complete: 8/24
Interview invite: 9/24
Interview: 11/15
Accepted: 12/20

I can answer anything about the app cycle, although the interview is protected by an NDA that we signed, thus I can not answer anything about specific interview questions. Good luck to everyone applying!

I only applied to KC also and basically said that I had been to KC before, loved it, and felt more comfortable in a city environment

Sorry forgot to say that I'm a 2nd year at the KC campus so I'm also available for any questions or advice!

Has anyone heard back about secondaries? I applied to both campuses...

Has anyone heard back about secondaries? I applied to both campuses...

Historically, KCU does not start sending secondaries until mid-late July. For reference, during my application cycle I submitted my primary on June 5th, received a secondary on 8/1, II on 8/28, interviewed 9/20, and was accepted 10/24. Hope this helps ease some application cycle anxiety!

Reactions: 2 users
Historically, KCU does not start sending secondaries until mid-late July. For reference, during my application cycle I submitted my primary on June 5th, received a secondary on 8/1, II on 8/28, interviewed 9/20, and was accepted 10/24. Hope this helps ease some application cycle anxiety!
Yes totally! Thank you! I'm already concerned that I'm not applying to enough schools, so when the secondaries aren't rolling in my anxiety levels skyrocket. Honestly at this point, anything will do it lol.

Yes totally! Thank you! I'm already concerned that I'm not applying to enough schools, so when the secondaries aren't rolling in my anxiety levels skyrocket. Honestly at this point, anything will do it lol.
I didn't get a secondary from KCU until end of September/Early October, so don't get too worried if it doesn't show up immediately!

Haha. I completely understand. I couldn’t count how many breakdowns I had during the application cycle. Even after a good interview I was like, there’s no way I’ll get in. I’m just waiting for the rejection letter. I may as well make other plans for next year. Lol. You are not alone in this!

Rising 2nd year here. Feel free to hit me with questions—I’m just enjoying summer before school begins again.

I live in “historic” Northeast Kansas City which is the neighborhood just east of campus. The area can be rough in some spots but it’s really very cool and interesting in others. I’ve loved living here so far!

One thing that doesn’t get a lot of attention at KCU KC: the community garden. It’s across the street from school, behind the infamous 7/11. There is a nice big lawn where you can run your dog and it is entirely fenced in. The garden itself is run by KCU staff and the vegetables harvested go to a local food bank. It’s a beautiful little space and a nice respite between classes or marathon study sessions. At the very least, it is the one space that is not off-limits currently.

Hello everyone. Can some of the KCU students help me out? I made it to the interview portion last year (interviewed at the Kansas City campus on 11/13) and was rejected thereafter. I am having trouble getting feedback from admissions on my interview, they said they added me to a list and would give feedback in May but I haven't heard back from them since. I really want to give KCU another shot this application cycle. Can anyone help me out with getting in touch with them? I have the names of the people who interviewed me as well. Feel free to PM me.

AACOMAS verified on June 27th but still no secondary. Should I be concerned?

AACOMAS verified on June 27th but still no secondary. Should I be concerned?

I don’t think anyone has. I was verified on the 8th I think. I suspect in the next 2 weeks we will get it.

Anyone know anything about the cutoff dates for previous MCAT scores and LOR? The website says MCATS must be 5/2018 or later; recommendations for 21 cycle should be from 2019. My MCAT was 4/28/18, and my LORs are dated 2018 (long story, my pre-health advising sucks and holds our recs/packets hostage) despite the fact that I worked with all of my recommenders until 2019 when I graduated-my pre health refuses to update my letter date to 2019. KCUMB is one of my top choices, and I haven't gotten any response via phone or email from admissions. Should I still apply?

Hey all,

Canadian incoming MS1 here! If any of you have questions about the application process (especially, Canadian applicants who need to know specific to international applicants), feel free to message me or ask here, and I will be happy to help! Here's hoping all of you find a home this upcoming cycle! :)

Anyone know anything about the cutoff dates for previous MCAT scores and LOR? The website says MCATS must be 5/2018 or later; recommendations for 21 cycle should be from 2019. My MCAT was 4/28/18, and my LORs are dated 2018 (long story, my pre-health advising sucks and holds our recs/packets hostage) despite the fact that I worked with all of my recommenders until 2019 when I graduated-my pre health refuses to update my letter date to 2019. KCUMB is one of my top choices, and I haven't gotten any response via phone or email from admissions. Should I still apply?
If you afford it, do put it an application I would say, otherwise the chances will definitely be zero. I hope they are willing to overlook some things this year due to COVID, but still try to get an answer from them, they are prolly swamped right now but they should give a reply soon (they have always responded to me in 2-3 days).

Hi all, I’m an incoming first year here at KCU at the KC campus! I figured I would just share some info from someone that went through the most recent cycle.

My stats and app dates:

GPA: 3.8+
MCAT: 506-509
Primary submitted: 7/17
Secondary invitation: 8/21
Date complete: 8/24
Interview invite: 9/24
Interview: 11/15
Accepted: 12/20

I can answer anything about the app cycle, although the interview is protected by an NDA that we signed, thus I can not answer anything about specific interview questions. Good luck to everyone applying!
Hello, for the secondary question asking about what we're doing to maintain academic knowledge, do you know if it's fine if we just state that we graduated and aren't taking any classes this year if that's the case? I'm just not sure to put since I just graduated this year. I am on the waitlist for my medical scribe job that will open up when COVID gets better so maybe I can say that the medical terms and concepts that apply to the scribe job might help prepare me for medical school? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

Got an email today saying they received my primary application.