2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard from a friend of a friend that they review everyone on the waitlist on May 1st and then start handing out acceptances. Apparently the waitlist isn't ranked. Don't know how much truth there is to this
So I emailed them asking about this and they said they’ll begin reviewing waitlisted applications starting mid to late May. It’s unranked, but they sort based on mcat and gpa first, and then factor in additional criteria. So ranked, but unranked in some way

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
So I emailed them asking about this and they said they’ll begin reviewing waitlisted applications starting mid to late May. It’s unranked, but they sort based on mcat and gpa first, and then factor in additional criteria. So ranked, but unranked in some way
I guess that gives me some hope! Thank you for this

Reactions: 1 users
Even though it may not feel like it, there is always hope! Being waitlisted means that you have a shot at acceptance, and being rejected is final.
I guess that gives me some hope! Thank you for this

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Even though it may not feel like it, there is always hope! Being waitlisted means that you have a shot at acceptance, and being rejected is final.
Do people get rejected post-interview? I’ve been wondering about that for KCU. I think some schools just WL

Reactions: 2 users
I am an accepted student to KCU and was wondering what housing is around the area. I am probably looking for an apartment that is less than a 15-minute drive from campus.
What would yall recommend?
When would we have to secure housing?

I am an accepted student to KCU and was wondering what housing is around the area. I am probably looking for an apartment that is less than a 15-minute drive from campus.
north KC

North KC, river market, down town are good. Don’t live in independence. I signed my lease in early June and moved in early July

Reactions: 3 users
North KC, river market, down town are good. Don’t live in independence. I signed my lease in early June and moved in early July
How long does it usually take to commute to medical school each day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the school have a list of student organizations? I want to start brainstorming on what I want to get involved in.

I am also wondering about registration for driver's licenses and cars. Would I have to re-register in KC?

Has anyone gotten in off the WL yet? Wondering when WL movement will start since interviews are all done now.

Do any current students have recommendations for books/resources that were really helpful for years 1 and 2?

I want to start looking and getting ready!

Do any current students have recommendations for books/resources that were really helpful for years 1 and 2?

I want to start looking and getting ready!
First year = Boards and beyond, First aid, AnKing, Costanzo Physiology
Second year = Pathoma, Sketchy, First aid, AnKing, Amboss

Reactions: 5 users
Can any current students comment on the grading system for Clerkships/Rotations? Are those graded similar to how pre-clinicals are now graded with Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail or is Clerkship still letter graded?

Edit: If there is a link/document to the Clerkship curriculum on the KCU website, please let me know! I was unable to find it.
Pretty sure clerkships are just honors/pass/fail like preclinical. No high pass

Did all the other waitlisters get the waitlist survey email this morning?

Reactions: 5 users
Yes. I was going to submit it right away, but the last question about a letter of intent threw a wrench in that plan.
Do you not plan on writing a LOI for KCU? I already sent a LOI for a school that I am waitlisted for and was told to not send it to multiple schools.

Do you not plan on writing a LOI for KCU? I already sent a LOI for a school that I am waitlisted for and was told to not send it to multiple school.

Yeah exactly I don't want to write one because I am not 100% sure that I would pick KCU over another school, but I need to think about it more I guess is my point as I have not sent an LOI to any school yet for the same reason.

Filled out the survey...wrote an LOI as well. KCU is literally the only medical school to interview me for this cycle lol. And I'm patiently waiting on the waitlist. Manifesting an acceptance in a few weeks. Let's get it KCU! (please)

Reactions: 9 users
Also got the WL survey from KCU. Idk I want to withdraw but the only thing holding me back is potential scholarships (if offered anything). For accepted students, how much were you initially offered? Does KCU continue scholarship programs through the 4 years? If not, I’m just going to withdraw! (Other A is at ACOM)

Can any current 3rd year chime in with regard to how KCU has their clerkship years set up? Do you guys take the COMAT or NBME shelf exams?

i keep refreshing this page obsessively to hear if ppl on the waitlist got accepted lol

Also got the WL survey from KCU. Idk I want to withdraw but the only thing holding me back is potential scholarships (if offered anything). For accepted students, how much were you initially offered? Does KCU continue scholarship programs through the 4 years? If not, I’m just going to withdraw! (Other A is at ACOM)
The only scholarship I was offered was one of their 1 year incoming scholarships based on MCAT/GPA. (10K, 5K, etc.) There is also a service leadership scholarship that is offered to one student per campus (I believe.)
However, this is only the case for me. I am not sure what it has looked like for other students.

I was given 10k for first year only, but have gotten a few little ones (500-1k) here and there by applying to the external scholarships the schools emails us about every now and then.

On the waitlist currently (interviewed 3/5), and I'm trying to stay positive and busy by getting all of the immunization records and such ready in case I get THE email. Anyone know if they are requiring the covid vaccines*? I don't see it on the list, but I'm trying to stay prepared!

On the waitlist currently (interviewed 3/5), and I'm trying to stay positive and busy by getting all of the immunization records and such ready in case I get THE email. Anyone know if they are requiring the covid vaccines*? I don't see it on the list, but I'm trying to stay prepared!
Was listed as an optional thing when I submitted my immunization stuff. I sent them proof of my vaccines, and they didn't even update it as being done by the time they told me I was compliant. Not sure how that may change as it gets closer to classes starting, though.

Was listed as an optional thing when I submitted my immunization stuff. I sent them proof of my vaccines, and they didn't even update it as being done by the time they told me I was compliant. Not sure how that may change as it gets closer to classes starting, though.

I am also waitlisted as well, but just wanted to make sure of something. The titer is only required if we do not have all of the immunizations listed on their website for matriculation?

I am also waitlisted as well, but just wanted to make sure of something. The titer is only required if we do not have all of the immunizations listed on their website for matriculation?
They require an MMR and Varicella quantitative titer along with the original immunization record.

According to the pdf packet, page 3, the MMR and the HepB seem to require both the series dates AND the titers. The page says the varicella requires just the titer UNLESS no immunity is found, then requiring a vaccine series and follow-up titer.

Yeah, you just have to follow the instructions exactly as on the packet as far as AND or OR for titers and stuff. The company was pretty strict on it in order to be marked as compliant.

Hey guys! I'm an incoming OMS-1 from Texas! I was wondering if any 3rd/4th years know any details on rotations in Texas? During interviews I was told that KCU does do rotations in Texas - but I didn't know how that works! :) Thanks!