2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed them directly to ask about their waitlist process and this is what I was told. They’re reviewing waitlisted applicants beginning mid to late May.

They told me in an email that they're reviewing the waitlisted in mid-late May
So if they're starting to review that late... do we think we'll hear back in early June? Or even later? This process is so maddening.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So if they're starting to review that late... do we think we'll hear back in early June? Or even later? This process is so maddening.
You can literally hear up until the day before orientation. It sucks how unfair this process can be

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they give us time to move and all that bc we can’t be expected to move to KC in case we get in ... right?
Yes. If you hear that late you will have time to move out. Not like the school will be like “congratulations on your acceptance to KCU. Be here tomorrow at 8am or you forfeit your seat.” Lol

Reactions: 1 user
I would think early June! Definitely agree with this process being maddening. We pretty much have to put our life on hold until they can make their final decision.

People get off the waitlist up until the 1st day of classes. People have started school at one medical school and got accepted to another, picked up everything, broke their lease, and left. Just hold tight, you'll figure out a way if you get accepted.

Current 3rd year student here doing my rotations at Freeman in Joplin. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

Reactions: 2 users
How safe is Kansas City? I'm keep seeing it on lists of "most dangerous cities in America".

• Haha
I'm mostly worried about my car being broken into lol
Ya that could happen. I had my car broken into during first year and they didnt take anything lol my sunglasses were literally right there. But I lived in a not so great area to save money. I moved to a nicer place with garage parking and haven’t had any problems since. Just don’t leave any valuables in you car over night if you park on the street

I'm mostly worried about my car being broken into lol
There's a saying in KC, "don't go east of Troost", as in don't travel east of Troost Ave and you'll avoid most of KC's worst areas. Like schwifty said, if you use common sense and stick to the good areas of KC, you are going to be fine. I've parked my car downtown at night in various parking garages and never had an issue, as well as the apartment parking lots where I live in northland KC. Avoid the area east of our campus, avoid Independence and Raytown.

North KC, Gladstone, Downtown (by Power and Light, but use common sense), Overland park, Lee's summit, Lenexa, and the country club plaza are all fine areas

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if the iPad we receive is ours to keep forever or has to be returned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an accepted groupme? Thx

Is there an excel sheet floating around somewhere that shows how many students go to each clerkship site for 3rd/4th year and how many from each campus?

Just making sure, our first semester is going to be in person? No more 100 percent online?

Is there an excel sheet floating around somewhere that shows how many students go to each clerkship site for 3rd/4th year and how many from each campus?
Once you get accepted you can log into the KCU intranet and click clinical education on the left side bar, in there it shows you where all the students were placed for the class of 2023 and 2022

Once you get accepted you can log into the KCU intranet and click clinical education on the left side bar, in there it shows you where all the students were placed for the class of 2023 and 2022
Is this the same login information as our WorkDay account? I tried using that username/password and it did not work.

Is this the same login information as our WorkDay account? I tried using that username/password and it did not work.
^This. Confused as to the difference between the WorkDay account and KCU intranet

^This. Confused as to the difference between the WorkDay account and KCU intranet
It’s the same for me. I use my S number and password. However, KCU’s website login system is trash, half the time it works and half it doesn’t. You could try putting in your S#email and password to log in like [email protected]

Just making sure, our first semester is going to be in person? No more 100 percent online?
Trust me, 100% online is what you want. Would recommend 10/10

edit: except for the fact that you don’t really get to meet people in the class. But that could also be a positive for some people lol

Classes are optional/attendance not mandatory. They haven’t formally said hybrid curriculum yet- but did say orientation would be hybrid
Classes are optional, some lectures are recorded, some are not. OMM and anatomy labs however are mandatory.

Trust me, 100% online is what you want. Would recommend 10/10

edit: except for the fact that you don’t really get to meet people in the class. But that could also be a positive for some people lol
eh im not a fan of 100% online. i hate having virtual relationships with people.

My only concern is if I need to find an apartment this term. Has KCUMB officially sent this information out yet?
You will need to be around for labs and stuff. Even this year's M1s had to be here.

There is an accepted GroupMe already made for the class of 2025. PM me in an hour or later if you want the link!
Edit: I only have the link for the Joplin one, my b.
Could you send me that link for the joplin one? Im PMing you

Ahhhh gotchu guys, no worries! Thanks :)

Soo us incoming M1’s just received an email for the med kit and that 900+ dollar equipment looks a little pricey... especially the otoscope and opthamaloscope. Do any current students know cheaper alternatives to buying what is on the med kit list?

Soo us incoming M1’s just received an email for the med kit and that 900+ dollar equipment looks a little pricey... especially the otoscope and opthamaloscope. Do any current students know cheaper alternatives to buying what is on the med kit list?
Buy it used from other students on Facebook, way cheaper

Buy one used from a current second year. They're usually sold on Facebook.

I bought the cheapest stuff I could find on Amazon, except for a Littman. Has worked out fine. I think I spent like $100 minus the stethoscope.

for those of you looking to buy med kits and furniture, you can get a lot of stuff from the second years that are moving away for rotations soon. There's a FB page where you can find stuff for sale:

I know some of us are moving in a few weeks, so if you want to buy stuff while it's still available, most of us will keep it for you or store it somewhere for you until you get here.

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but we got resent our white coat size forms and I wanted to double check mine will be the right size. If I measured my chest around to be a 38, what size white coat should I get? If I order a 38 would that be super tight on me? Should I size up to a 40 or 42? Sorry I am asking again, but don't want to look stupid in my white coat lol.

Am I the only one who thought our white coat sizes were referring to our suit jacket sizes?

Did anyone get any kind of confirmation that their WL survey was received?

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but we got resent our white coat size forms and I wanted to double check mine will be the right size. If I measured my chest around to be a 38, what size white coat should I get? If I order a 38 would that be super tight on me? Should I size up to a 40 or 42? Sorry I am asking again, but don't want to look stupid in my white coat lol.
Am I the only one who thought our white coat sizes were referring to our suit jacket sizes?
Ya it should be the same as your suit jacket size