2020-2021 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary prompt:
1. Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks. (750 characters)
2. Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.) (75)
3. Please describe how the COVID - 19 pandemic has impacted your preparation for medical school and/or affected your qualifications (positively or negatively). (2000)
4. Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)? (750)
5. Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.) (1250)
6. Please indicate how you first learned about MU-COM, providing specific details where appropriate
7. Please describe how the COVID - 19 pandemic has impacted your preparation for medical school and/or affected your qualifications (positively or negatively). (2000)
8. Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana? (1250 Characters)
9. In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why? 1250
10. Please comment on your experience working with and future desire to serve patients in a rural or medically underserved community. 1250
11. escribe your motivation for attending MU-COM. Please be specific. 1250
12. Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you. 1250

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Today they sent a confirmation email about receiving my primary application. Verified 6/12. Email also said that the secondary invitation may come in 1-2 weeks. Woo!

Reactions: 2 users
Also just got a confirmation email.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All questions are character limits, not words!

1. Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks. (750 characters)
2. Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.) (75)
3. Please describe how the COVID - 19 pandemic has impacted your preparation for medical school and/or affected your qualifications (positively or negatively). (2000)
4. Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)? (750)
5. Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.) (1250)
6. Please indicate how you first learned about MU-COM, providing specific details where appropriate
7. Please describe how the COVID - 19 pandemic has impacted your preparation for medical school and/or affected your qualifications (positively or negatively). (2000)
9. In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why? 1250
10. Please comment on your experience working with and future desire to serve patients in a rural or medically underserved community. 1250
12. Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you. 1250

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 user
Character limits do not show up in Safari BTW - use chrome or Firefox.

@PapaGuava

how would the question about COVID be different than what we wrote in the primary? I am thinking about emailing them to ask

how would the question about COVID be different than what we wrote in the primary? I am thinking about emailing them to ask

Honestly, I just wrote a slightly condensed version of it.
I’m going to hope that the people that interview you look at secondaries instead your primary (or go in depth on your secondaries and glance at the primary) since I heard that happens with a lot of schools.
I could be very wrong though, so take it with a grain of salt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got an email saying that they are waiting on my MCAT (I take it July 18) to review my application. I thought DO schools were extending secondaries without needing an MCAT yet this cycle?

Got an email saying that they are waiting on my MCAT (I take it July 18) to review my application. I thought DO schools were extending secondaries without needing an MCAT yet this cycle?
Same here!! Very curious why this is. Also, good luck on the MCAT, im taking it the same day

Just got a secondary here. Can someone tell me if this school is specialty friendly? I see they have strong connections to the hospitals and good rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a secondary here. Can someone tell me if this school is specialty friendly? I see they have strong connections to the hospitals and good rotations.
Although primary care comes up a number of times, they don't push it. They just want people to place at the end of the day. Now, the GME director doesn't have a problem hurting your feelings if you are aiming for plastics and your app won't cut it, but he is a nice guy and extremely helpful.

Overall, the clinical sites and rotations are pretty solid, especially for a DO school. However, there is a chance you can draw the short straw occasionally and get a crappy rotation.

I have heard that a lot of the rotations are in Gary Indiana, is that correct? Or where would you say a good portion of the rotation sites are usually located?

MU-COM is very responsive to questions or any concerns you may have throughout the application process, so don’t be afraid to contact them. I just wanted to throw it out there! I hope everyone is having a good start to their application cycle even though it is a busy time.

I have heard that a lot of the rotations are in Gary Indiana, is that correct? Or where would you say a good portion of the rotation sites are usually located?
No, most of the rotations are in Indianapolis. Most people do 2-3 rotations outside of Indianapolis, unless they choose to do more, and if it's more than 60 miles, I think, they provide you with housing.

I was just asking cause it would be nice to be able to do rotations closer to where I live currently. Thanks for the responses .

I was just asking cause it would be nice to be able to do rotations closer to where I live currently. Thanks for the responses .
You can work with the coordinators to try and set up rotations at a different hospital. We have had some do that in the past so that they could be closer to family. There have also been people who specifically requested all away rotations so they could get the school-provided housing and didn't have to pay for housing during the year.

I was wondering if it is possible to not send in premed committee letter and instead send in a science LOR. Does anyone think they know the answer to this? @MU COM perhaps.

I was wondering if it is possible to not send in premed committee letter and instead send in a science LOR. Does anyone think they know the answer to this? @MU COM perhaps.

from their website:
  • a recommendation form/letter from a pre-medical or pre-health committee or advisor*
*If an advisor or committee is not available, a letter from another science professor will be accepted as a substitute.

from their website:
  • a recommendation form/letter from a pre-medical or pre-health committee or advisor*
*If an advisor or committee is not available, a letter from another science professor will be accepted as a substitute.
Ok I was just wondering since it is possible I get one but it will not strengthen my application compared to a Science LOR, so I opted not to submit one.

just got word that my application is on hold till i get my MCAT score :( hurt and confused lol

Last edited:
just got word that my application is on hold till i get my MCAT score :( hurt and confused lol
It is fine, your hold wont be long and I can smell that you hit a home run on your MCAT so you will be fine. All the best for you.

@MU COM Just out of curiosity, are you guys planning to offer virtual interviews this cycle?

Pleasantly surprised by how transparent MU-COM is and especially how quickly they verify everything and respond to emails. Good stuff @MU COM !

They are planning to hold virtual interviews at least in the fall and they usually try to get back to students within the week after the interview + they hold all incomplete applications (even those who have an MCAT score but are waiting for a retake) -- they said they prefer to look at a complete application because they don't reevaluate after making a decision

I know this because I went to a virtual presentation of theirs :thumbup:

These are my notes from the presentation regarding LOR:

LOR requirements:
  • Physician (DO & MD OK)
  • Pre-Medical/Pre-Health Committee
  • Science Professor -- biology, chemistry, physics (PI research letter counts - email to confirm)
** They will email if missing something

+1

Also, if I say I'm not interested in practicing in Indiana, am I gonna get auto rejected?
I don't think you will get auto rejected, but they do look for people who want to stay in Indiana and surrounding areas. Keep in mind a lot of residency programs have regional bias when it comes to sending invites, unless you are at the top of the class, from a big name school, or have ties to the specific city/state.

I don't think you will get auto rejected, but they do look for people who want to stay in Indiana and surrounding areas. Keep in mind a lot of residency programs have regional bias when it comes to sending invites, unless you are at the top of the class, from a big name school, or have ties to the specific city/state.
Woof

How long does it take to receive notice after verification?

@MU COM is there an alternative LOR for those that weren't able to shadow? Would students who can't get a LOR from a physician need to wait until the next cycle (or possibly the one after depending on when shadowing is allowed again)?

Does anyone on here have any recommendations on what to do if our shadow experiences were canceled?

Does anyone on here have any recommendations on what to do if our shadow experiences were canceled?
Email them, they are very responsive. Should be an email link in the portal or the email that was sent out for the secondary application.

@MU COM is there an alternative LOR for those that weren't able to shadow? Would students who can't get a LOR from a physician need to wait until the next cycle (or possibly the one after depending on when shadowing is allowed again)?

From what I heard on their online presentation, they seem to be understanding and willing to work with students a lot of the time. It wouldn't hurt to email them and explain your situation

@PapaGuava

Hi. I'm pre-writing so could someone who has received the secondary help me out please?

Are questions 2 and 5 actually the exact same thing? If so, which is the correct character limit?... same thing with questions 3 and 7. and is 2000 the correct limit?

For question 4, are people elaborating on this or just stating where and when they shadowed/worked? I have a lot so wouldn't be able to fit detail into this space and I also already elaborated on primary so not sure how to go about this.

thanks in advance!

Hi. I'm pre-writing so could someone who has received the secondary help me out please?

Are questions 2 and 5 actually the exact same thing? If so, which is the correct character limit?... same thing with questions 3 and 7. and is 2000 the correct limit?

For question 4, are people elaborating on this or just stating where and when they shadowed/worked? I have a lot so wouldn't be able to fit detail into this space and I also already elaborated on primary so not sure how to go about this.

thanks in advance!
2 is not right: these questions are somehow duplicated in the thread and there is only one of these questions with a 1250 character limit. However, there is another question "If you are a reapplicant to Marian University, what was the outcome of that application? In addition, please detail the improvements you have made to your application. " that has a 750 character limit.
For 4, I would just list. The space is arguably tight.

2 is not right: these questions are somehow duplicated in the thread and there is only one of these questions with a 1250 character limit. However, there is another question "If you are a reapplicant to Marian University, what was the outcome of that application? In addition, please detail the improvements you have made to your application. " that has a 750 character limit.
For 4, I would just list. The space is arguably tight.
Thank you so much! :)

No you won't get rejected. I would just be honest about how you feel about it.
Great thanks PG! I just answered that I wanna do rural med and am not picky about where except that I’d rather it best west.

Great thanks PG! I just answered that I wanna do rural med and am not picky about where except that I’d rather it best west.
Yeah I know those questions are tempting to think to yourself about changing your answer to appeal a certain way but I think as long as you're show your open to the idea even if you just mentioned rural medicine, it is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Yeah I know those questions are tempting to think to yourself about changing your answer to appeal a certain way but I think as long as you show your open to the idea even if you just mentioned rural medicine, it is perfectly fine.
Lit thanks PG

Did you end up emailing them and receive a response to this? I have the same question.

Did you end up emailing them and receive a response to this? I have the same question.
I did email them, but I haven't received a response. Do you have any information or just the same question?

I did email them, but I haven't received a response. Do you have any information or just the same question?
My shadowing experience got cancelled, it was in the process of happening back in March and I just got word that it won't be happening at all now. I was hoping to get a LOR from the physician I was going to shadow. I'm not sure if Marian would accept a LOR from a physician that you didn't shadow under. I don't know what to do.