2020-2021 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the email address for admission? I emailed them a few days ago to cancel my interview but i haven’t gotten any reply from them yet. Is this the correct email? [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

For the question on the secondary speaking about any gaps in employment or education, do we have to comment on the fact that we graduated? Or should I just leave that part blank? Additionally, when the secondary asks about shadowing experience, did you guys just list the physicians and hours and whatnot or did you actually comment on the experience as well like in the primary app? Thanks in advance!

Does anybody know if Marian accepts letters of update/interest/intent? If so, what is the email to send them to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if Marian accepts letters of update/interest/intent? If so, what is the email to send them to?
Following on this. Also not sure if now is the best time to send them or 2021. It is too early for them to start looking at waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
For the question on the secondary speaking about any gaps in employment or education, do we have to comment on the fact that we graduated? Or should I just leave that part blank? Additionally, when the secondary asks about shadowing experience, did you guys just list the physicians and hours and whatnot or did you actually comment on the experience as well like in the primary app? Thanks in advance!

I did not answer this question as I started working shortly after finishing school. I believe from looking at past years' threads, they are interested if you took a break from school, or graduated and aren't working type things.

I didn't have enough room to comment on the listing physicians part, but I would take the opportunity to do a short sentence on the important take aways!

Complete on 06Oct2020 and haven't heard anything, little worried as approaching the 4 weeks. Has anyone heard anything since they were complete in October?

Complete on 06Oct2020 and haven't heard anything, little worried as approaching the 4 weeks. Has anyone heard anything since they were complete in October?

I was done with my submission on 9/16 and my letters still show “pending” so I think they are behind. I’ve emailed and left a VM and haven’t heard back at all. It says letters should take 4-5 weeks. I’m past 6 weeks on that now.

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete on 9/16 and my letters show “pending” so I think they are behind. I’ve emailed and left a VM and haven’t heard back at all. It says letters should take 4-5 weeks. I’m past 6 weeks on that now.
Ok thanks for sharing, that makes me feel better. It definitely is a different cycle this year. I'll try to be patient and positive haha.

• Care
About how long after completing the secondary does Marian contact applicants? Have been complete for four weeks now but have heard nothing...

About how long after completing the secondary does Marian contact applicants? Have been complete for four weeks now but have heard nothing...
I've been complete since 8/19 and still waiting....

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I got a message back from the admin team today regarding my long pending LOR status. They stated that they are "way behind this year" so if you're still waiting for an update, don't panic yet!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone!

Is MU COM a school with huge in state bias?
I used this pdf to help me apply. There is also an excel sheet that I can link once I find. From this, in 2018 MUCOM matriculated 59% instate applicants. https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...culants-by-state-by-com.pdf?sfvrsn=85b63597_6

Edit:
Here is the link to find lots of data about matriculants. (Matriculants)
The second excel file is what I download and then filter to look at my state specifically to see chances of me getting in. This of course is not the end all be all of how to get it, but it gives an understanding if that school likes out of state people from your state. Specifically, it is why I did not apply to OUHCOM (96% instate) and MSUCOM (87% instate) both of which took 0 from my state in 2018.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used this pdf to help me apply. There is also an excel sheet that I can link once I find. From this, in 2018 MUCOM matriculated 59% instate applicants. https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...culants-by-state-by-com.pdf?sfvrsn=85b63597_6

Edit:
Here is the link to find lots of data about matriculants. (Matriculants)
The second excel file is what I download and then filter to look at my state specifically to see chances of me getting in. This of course is not the end all be all of how to get it, but it gives an understanding if that school likes out of state people from your state. Specifically, it is why I did not apply to OUHCOM (96% instate) and MSUCOM (87% instate) both of which took 0 from my state in 2018.
Thank you for letting me know!

I think I wasted precious time and money by applying to MU COM

Thank you for letting me know!

I think I wasted precious time and money by applying to MU COM

I'm out of state with no ties to Indiana and was accepted. 40% OOS matriculants is decent odds.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm out of state with no ties to Indiana and was accepted. 40% OOS matriculants is decent odds.
I am not sure where you got the 40% statistic. In the official AACOMAS data (mentioned 2 posts above), it says that IS matriculants is like 84%. But thanks for bringing your example up, it makes me helpful for receiving an interview in the future.

I am not sure where you got the 40% statistic. In the official AACOMAS data (mentioned 2 posts above), it says that IS matriculants is like 84%. But thanks for bringing your example up, it makes me helpful for receiving an interview in the future.
For what it’s worth I was OOS and accepted at Marian last cycle, I know others too! Definitely not a waste to have applied!

Hi! Is anyone who submitted in August still waiting?

Reactions: 2 users
Does marian accept pre-II updates? I haven’t heard anything for a while now.

I had my interview today! It went well, I enjoyed talking with my interviewers, they were really nice. I'm wondering how long it too for you accepted folks to hear back? Richard said it could even be on Wednesday, or the following Wednesday.

• Love
  • Care
I had my interview today! It went well, I enjoyed talking with my interviewers, they were really nice. I'm wondering how long it too for you accepted folks to hear back? Richard said it could even be on Wednesday, or the following Wednesday.
I’m so happy you had a great interview experience! I interviewed on a Monday and got the call the following Wednesday 9 days later. I hope you get that A!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I’m so happy you had a great interview experience! I interviewed on a Monday and got the call the following Wednesday 9 days later. I hope you get that A!
Ah thank you!!! I hope to be classmates <3

My timeline:

10/19/20 Secondary in
11/10/20 portal says finished (all green checkmarks)

Any ideas on when I may get the complete email/ an interview invite?

My timeline:

10/19/20 Secondary in
11/10/20 portal says finished (all green checkmarks)

Any ideas on when I may get the complete email/ an interview invite?

I had everything submitted as if 9/16. Still not marked “complete” and I contacted them, they said they safe significantly behind this year and to be patient.

For the secondary question regarding the changes brought upon because of COVID-19, is it okay to kind of cut and paste your response from the primary application and just shorten it and add a little bit more where needed? I don't know if this like plagiarizing my own work lol

Notified I was placed on the alternate list today. Interviewed 11/13. What are the odds of actually getting a seat?

Just submitted the secondary! Am I correct in thinking it is 4-5 weeks from now until I hear something? Also would they just begin to look at my LORs now that I've submitted the secondary too?

Just submitted the secondary! Am I correct in thinking it is 4-5 weeks from now until I hear something? Also would they just begin to look at my LORs now that I've submitted the secondary too?
Do you mind if I ask what your timeline was?

When your AACOMAS was submitted to MU-COM..
When you heard from MU-COM
When you received the secondary?

Do you mind if I ask what your timeline was?

When your AACOMAS was submitted to MU-COM..
When you heard from MU-COM
When you received the secondary?
Not at all. Submitted primary in mid August and got the secondary last month near the end. Just turned it in yesterday. They were waiting on my MCAT score for awhile so that's why I got the secondary 2 months after I submitted my primary.

• Care
Not at all. Submitted primary in mid August and got the secondary last month near the end. Just turned it in yesterday. They were waiting on my MCAT score for awhile so that's why I got the secondary 2 months after I submitted my primary.
Thank you!

I know this was mentioned before somewhat but I thought I’d share.
I spoke with Linda today and she shared that Daniel Goodpasture has moved to another university.
Richard took his place and it seems to me he is doing an amazing job he just has a lot more work than usual.
With Daniel gone and others also gone, things are pretty behind at this point so we will just need to be patient. No communication isn’t bad at this point.

Reactions: 5 users
I know this was mentioned before somewhat but I thought I’d share.
I spoke with Linda today and she shared that Daniel Goodpasture has moved to another university.
Richard took his place and it seems to me he is doing an amazing job he just has a lot more work than usual.
With Daniel gone and others also gone, things are pretty behind at this point so we will just need to be patient. No communication isn’t bad at this point.
To add to this, I was complete in early Aug and didn't get the complete email until October, then got an II shortly after. Also I've met with Richard before and he's an extremely nice and helpful person and I'm sure he's doing what he can. Stay hopeful all!

Last edited:
I submitted 7/18/2020 and I just received a letter that my file was completed today. And I will have to wait a month to see if I am invited! So Weird. 3.85 GPA 503 mcat.

I submitted 7/18/2020 and I just received a letter that my file was completed today. And I will have to wait a month to see if I am invited! So Weird. 3.85 GPA 503 mcat.
Same! I submitted my secondary early August and received the complete email about 30 minutes ago... Does this mean that they haven't even begun reviewing my application?:confused:

I submitted my secondary on 9/26 (it took them 1.5 months after my aacomas was verified to send me a secondary) and on my portal, it says application complete but I have not received an email about it. does that mean its not actually complete?
Ya it sounds like your not really complete.. You need the completion email. I received this part of my email today. At this time, your file is being forwarded to a member of our Admissions Committee who will decide if you are invited for a virtual interview. This review typically takes at least 4 weeks; however, processing can take longer at certain times of the year. As a reminder, you can check the status of your application 24 hours a day at our unique admissions portal

Ya it sounds like your not really complete.. You need the completion email. I received this part of my email today. At this time, your file is being forwarded to a member of our Admissions Committee who will decide if you are invited for a virtual interview. This review typically takes at least 4 weeks; however, processing can take longer at certain times of the year. As a reminder, you can check the status of your application 24 hours a day at our unique admissions portal
oh ****. im probably not going to hear back anytime soon loll. thank you!

Hi guys!
So on Oct-21st I received an email confirming that they have received my secondary. They have still not marked me complete. Should I email the admissions office and enquire about my application status?
1606682539426.png

1606682650914.png

To those who got IIs;

Did anyone get an II without an official "secondary is complete" email? Either because you emailed/called about the status and were told then that it was complete or you simply never got one?

I emailed about mine a week ago and they said it was complete but I never got the official. Might I get an II without an official complete email?

Hello everyone,
I received a II today. Very excited about this opportunity :)
Good luck to all of you.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just got the R :(
Bummer, I thought I had a good chance. 3.5c/3.36s 504

• Care
Does MUCOM offer individual feedback for rejected apps?