2020-2021 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
How long is the interview day here?
About 4.5 hours in total (noon - 4:30pm for the afternoon session). The intro presentation was 12pm-1pm, then the interview/ student panel was either 1pm-2pm, 2pm-3pm, or 3pm-4pm, then a final presentation from 4pm-4:30pm. So out of the 4.5 hours you are only on the zoom camera for about 2.5/3 hours throughout your interview period. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: 1 user
About 4.5 hours in total (noon - 4:30pm for the afternoon session). The intro presentation was 12pm-1pm, then the interview/ student panel was either 1pm-2pm, 2pm-3pm, or 3pm-4pm, then a final presentation from 4pm-4:30pm. So out of the 4.5 hours you are only on the zoom camera for about 2.5/3 hours throughout your interview period. Hope that makes sense.
Thank you so much!! So there is one hour-long interview with 2 faculty members?

Thank you so much!! So there is one hour-long interview with 2 faculty members?
Recently the actual interview was 30 minutes with 2 faculty members simultaneously, and then 30 minutes of a group of applicants talking to a student panel (for example, 3 applicants and 2 MUCOM students).

I assume no one has heard anything about the waitlist? I'm expecting waitlist movement to be pushed back :confused:

Oh wow.... well that’s inconvenient 😂
Yeah, but I would expect the waitlist movement to be more generous compared to previous years since applicants are more likely to be holding onto multiple acceptances (due to the financial feasibility of virtual interviews and the fact that MUCOMs deposit is so low with the second one isn’t due until May 1st). Early may you will probably see a lot of waitlist movement so don’t give up hope! You got this!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone who was supposed to get a decision today received anything yet? We were told we would hear between 1-3pm EST and I haven't gotten anything yet...

Has anyone who was supposed to get a decision today received anything yet? We were told we would hear between 1-3pm EST and I haven't gotten anything yet...
Oh my gosh same. No communication lol. Glad its not just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!!! Earlier today! Is there an accepted students group?

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! OOS

Submitted secondary in August 2020
Application complete October 2020
Interview invite December 2020
Interview January 2021
Accepted February 2021

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone still not heard back from August? Received a complete email in November but nothing since then :(

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone still not heard back from August? Received a complete email in November but nothing
Has anyone still not heard back from August? Received a complete email in November but nothing since then :(
I have not even received a complete email and my portal was complete like early September

• Sad
Are there any current students around able to answer some questions? It would be super helpful!

Is MU-COM still interviewing? How many have they accepted? I was finished in October. I’ve emailed and called and they say they will get to t file but I haven’t heard a thing.

Is MU-COM still interviewing? How many have they accepted? I was finished in October. I’ve emailed and called and they say they will get to t file but I haven’t heard a thing.
Yes, they have a schedule somewhere on their website that says interviewing will be done on April 23rd. When I got an interview invite 3 weeks ago, the only dates available were April 19th and April 23rd. Can’t speak for how many are accepted, but I would just stay patient because I was complete Sept. 1st and heard absolutely nothing and then out of the blue I got an interview invite.

Anyone know what the post-II acceptance rate is for this school?

Anyone know what the post-II acceptance rate is for this school?
For the Class of 2024, MUCOM interviewed 533 applicants and ultimately accepted 314 of those. So their post-ii acceptance rate last cycle was 58.9%.

For the Class of 2024, MUCOM interviewed 533 applicants and ultimately accepted 314 of those. So their post-ii acceptance rate last cycle was 58.9%.
Thank you very much!!

I turned my supplemental application in on August 18th, and my application was verified on December 18th.

I am OOS, but in the Midwest, no ties. MCAT 507, GPA 3.55 with 3000+ hours of Direct Patient Care hours and 3,500+ hours of Research.

• Hmm
I turned my supplemental application in on August 18th, and my application was verified on December 18th.

I am OOS, but in the Midwest, no ties. MCAT 507, GPA 3.55 with 3000+ hours of Direct Patient Care hours and 3,500+ hours of Research.
OOS? I bet you are from Wisconsin *non-covid cough cough*, nonetheless Congrats and good luck!

Are you guys getting "complete" emails? My application says its complete but from what I'm reading, everyone is getting their emails : S

Are you guys getting "complete" emails? My application says its complete but from what I'm reading, everyone is getting their emails : S
I applied in late August and got a complete email in December, II in January

• Care
Got the acceptance call yesterday (2/10)! IS, no particular ties. Interviewed 2/5.

Reactions: 3 users
Alternate list yesterday. Interviewed 1/29/2021. IS, no particular ties. Anyone have any idea whether or not I should just take this as a rejection and prep for next cycle or if Marian is known for a lot of waitlist movement?

Alternate list yesterday. Interviewed 1/29/2021. IS, no particular ties. Anyone have any idea whether or not I should just take this as a rejection and prep for next cycle or if Marian is known for a lot of waitlist movement?
Im sorry to hear that, but don’t give up hope yet for the waitlist. As a reapplicant myself, I’ll offer my 2 cents. Usually, by the end of February if you don’t have any acceptances, you need to start the process of reapplying. It’s always better to be pleasantly surprised that you got off the WL then rushing to finish apps if you never make it off the WL. Start preparing to reapply soon, it’s the smart thing to do.

Info session was saying that the school provides housing for their rotations >60 miles away. How common is this? At D.O. schools where you have to rotate further away, does the school typically provide housing, for the rotations as part of their curriculum?

I understand for away rotations you have to secure your own housing.

Just trying to understand how it works. Thanks for any info ya'll!

Info session was saying that the school provides housing for their rotations >60 miles away. How common is this? At D.O. schools where you have to rotate further away, does the school typically provide housing, for the rotations as part of their curriculum?

My understanding is that the school will provide housing for core rotations at their clinical partners that are more than 60 miles away. I'm not sure how common this is, but I have not heard of another school providing this! And correct, you are responsible for organizing accommodation for any away electives.

My questions is, do they provide a budget for how much they are willing to pay? I'm assuming they don't just let you pick any place and the cover it haha though that would be nice.

My understanding is that the school will provide housing for core rotations at their clinical partners that are more than 60 miles away. I'm not sure how common this is, but I have not heard of another school providing this! And correct, you are responsible for organizing accommodation for any away electives.

My questions is, do they provide a budget for how much they are willing to pay? I'm assuming they don't just let you pick any place and the cover it haha though that would be nice.
Yeah I'm questioning whether I have a complete misunderstanding of how med school works haha

If a clinical rotation is part of a given schools core curriculum, then the housing would/should be covered right? Otherwise students would have to find housing 4-8 weeks at a time, all year long.

The fact that they point this out in the info session as a benefit makes me question whether the other schools are also doing that. I don't really know enough about the process.

To your question regarding Marian specifically, it sounded like it wasn't a stipend, more like the accommodations already exist, they have some existing agreement with the dorms/school/hospital for a place.

Sorry man : /

when were you complete if you don't mind, and when did they contact you?
I was complete back in October. It was actually a big fiasco because they had a glitch in the system and sent everyone like 20 rejection emails lmao. You can scroll back far enough to see it hahaha. But it’s all good, every school has their preferences. Rooting for you though!

Yeah I'm questioning whether I have a complete misunderstanding of how med school works haha

If a clinical rotation is part of a given schools core curriculum, then the housing would/should be covered right? Otherwise students would have to find housing 4-8 weeks at a time, all year long.

The fact that they point this out in the info session as a benefit makes me question whether the other schools are also doing that. I don't really know enough about the process.

To your question regarding Marian specifically, it sounded like it wasn't a stipend, more like the accommodations already exist, they have some existing agreement with the dorms/school/hospital for a place.
Oh jeez, idk anymore haha because what you're saying would make sense... Hopefully someone else in the thread can shed a lil more light

Congrats on the acceptance! Do you mind sharing your stats?
Sure thing!
500-505 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, Around 1300 hours or research w/ presentation but no pub, couple of leadership experiences, nothing huge or fancy. Hope that helps!
Wish you the best this cycle.

I think this is very unique to Marian. I asked every other school I interviewed with (2 DO and 1 MD) and all of them said we would be responsible for our housing while on clinical rotations. Marian tries to keep all of your rotations within 60 mi, which is quite easy because of its location. I assume there would be very few rotations outside the 60 mi mark.