2020-2021 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In regard to the email they sent today, what does it mean to "be sure your prerequisities are up to date". Do you email them and update them or do you do it through the portal somehow?
Have they been sending emails to people on the waitlist this entire time? Because I haven't received an email since the one asking to confirm my position on the waitlist like 3 weeks ago. I also never received anything about the BMS program.

Members don't see this ad.

Have they been sending emails to people on the waitlist this entire time? Because I haven't received an email since the one asking to confirm my position on the waitlist like 3 weeks ago. I also never received anything about the BMS program.
I got an email from the yesterday. It just said that they recently started to accept applicants from the WL and they will update us as seats become available. Also if you have any updates send them to [email protected]. It also said to be sure your prerequisites are up to date. That was all the email said

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email from the yesterday. It just said that they recently started to accept applicants from the WL and they will update us as seats become available. Also if you have any updates send them to [email protected]. It also said to be sure your prerequisites are up to date. That was all the email said
Thank you! Appreciate the update

Members don't see this ad :)
I never got anything about BMS either but that’s a good sign I heard

Hello all! I just got offered acceptance into Marian! I'll post some info down below. Feel free to ask any questions!

GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 504
Interviewed: October 9th, 2020
Waitlisted: October 21, 2020
Email about the BMS program received on April 19th (But I did not apply for it)
*I added this portion because there has been some discussion on this thread about chances of admittance being changed based on receiving this email*
Submitted letter of intent on May 17th, 2021
Accepted May 18, 2021
*my portal has not reflected this change yet. It will probably change tomorrow when I get the official acceptance email*

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hello all! I just got offered acceptance into Marian! I'll post some info down below. Feel free to ask any questions!

GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 504
Interviewed: October 9th, 2020
Waitlisted: October 21, 2020
Email about the BMS program received on April 19th (But I did not apply for it)
*I added this portion because there has been some discussion on this thread about chances of admittance being changed based on receiving this email*
Submitted letter of intent on May 17th, 2021
Accepted May 18, 2021
Wow congrats! Looks like your LOI worked quickly! Did they just call you today or email you?

Wow congrats! Looks like your LOI worked quickly! Did they just call you today or email you?
I got an email informing me that the admission committee just got done deliberating about alternate candidates for this week. I called the number provided and was informed I had been accepted! If I had to guess, there are probably more emails going out currently to inform students. I think the admission committee meets on Mondays or Tuesdays so offers are made at the beginning of the week. However, I could be mistaken about that.

I got an email informing me that the admission committee just got done deliberating about alternate candidates for this week. I called the number provided and was informed I had been accepted! If I had to guess, there are probably more emails going out currently to inform students. I think the admission committee meets on Mondays or Tuesdays so offers are made at the beginning of the week. However, I could be mistaken about that.
So would it be safe to assume no more offers will be going out this week since they sent that email last night? Also, don't they usually only have 2 big pulls from the waitlist in May and then after that it only occurs if people decline their seats as the summer continues? Just trying to set some reasonable expectations

Did anyone else get a second invitation to apply for the BMS program? I got the first one in late April and got another one about an hour ago saying if I applied, I wouldn't be taken off the waitlist but I would be guaranteed admission w/o having to reapply or interview into the class of 2022 if I kept the GPA above 3.60. They worded it really weird though which made it felt like I was rejected:

"As you know, admission to medical school is extremely competitive, receiving a place on our alternate list in itself is a huge accomplishment. This year MU-COM received more than 5,700 applications for the 150 available positions for the class of 2025. Needless to say, there were a number of exceptional candidates who were not able to be selected for admission to the D.O. program this year."

But then they said applying wouldn't move my spot on the waitlist for this year. Did this happen to anyone else? And thoughts on if this is a good or a bad sign

Did anyone else get a second invitation to apply for the BMS program? I got the first one in late April and got another one about an hour ago saying if I applied, I wouldn't be taken off the waitlist but I would be guaranteed admission w/o having to reapply or interview into the class of 2022 if I kept the GPA above 3.60. They worded it really weird though which made it felt like I was rejected:

"As you know, admission to medical school is extremely competitive, receiving a place on our alternate list in itself is a huge accomplishment. This year MU-COM received more than 5,700 applications for the 150 available positions for the class of 2025. Needless to say, there were a number of exceptional candidates who were not able to be selected for admission to the D.O. program this year."

But then they said applying wouldn't move my spot on the waitlist for this year. Did this happen to anyone else? And thoughts on if this is a good or a bad sign
Got the same email and the previous one - dont think its either a good or bad sign, probably sent out to all or maybe just trying to get an extra yr of tuition out of us

Got the same email and the previous one - dont think its either a good or bad sign, probably sent out to all or maybe just trying to get an extra yr of tuition out of us
I have not received either email about the BMS program. Not sure how they select which applicants to send this to?

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah I never got the first one, but I’ve sent LOIs and no one has emailed me back but I just got the direct admission program email for fall 2022. Still keep the hope for class of 2025!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I have no idea how to interpret it

Anyone in here did the BMS to DO Direct admission program last year? Thoughts for ppl considering it? Thanks!

Anyone in here did the BMS to DO Direct admission program last year? Thoughts for ppl considering it? Thanks!
I have a follow-up question,Email said that everybody in the program last year was directly admitted to the med school. How many people / slots are in the direct admit program?

I have not received either email about the BMS program. Not sure how they select which applicants to send this to?
Same here. I haven’t gotten anything about the BMS program. Did you get the email earlier this week telling you that they recently started accepting applicants from the alternate list? That is the only one I have gotten since my WL decision

So would it be safe to assume no more offers will be going out this week since they sent that email last night? Also, don't they usually only have 2 big pulls from the waitlist in May and then after that it only occurs if people decline their seats as the summer continues? Just trying to set some reasonable expectations
Hey, I am not going to claim to be an expert, and that I know about how Marian operates the movement on the alternate list. However, I do know they keep things under tight wraps. I can only speak from my experience and the posts I've read on this year's forum. It seems that they pull off the waitlist early in the week. I do not know how many times movement happens, however, emails I have received make it seem as if the admission committee meets on a weekly basis on Mondays or Tuesdays to determine how many seats are available and who they would like to send offers to. The "big pulls" you are referring to most likely correlate with the May 1st admissions deadline and the May 15th ACCOMAS information release. So I can see how two big pulls would happen, however, I believe they call admission candidates on a weekly basis as long as seats are open.

How many of you are on the waitlist? I've been on the waitlist since early September so I'm hoping to hear something soon

Yeah I have no idea how to interpret it
Not all of the alternate candidates have received the email. I do not know for sure if it is "good or bad" per say, but I viewed the BMS email as a good sign. We were all put on the alternate list because of something in our application that prevented them from offering admission to us directly after our interviews. MU-COM ensures they say that they "view the alternate list as a group of prospective applicants who have a good likelihood of gaining admittance into their program". Of course, this quote is not exact but is along the lines of what they say in alternative placement notifications. I think it is reasonable to assume they would extend an offer to guarantee admission to next year's class to individuals they thought highly of on the alternate list. However, it is also reasonable to assume that this email was saying "you're in the bottom 50% of our alternate list, this opportunity may interest you because you may not get admittance this year". Either way, stay positive about your application and IF MU-COM is your top school, send in a heartfelt letter of intent that is true to yourself! Good luck everyone!

How many of you are on the waitlist? I've been on the waitlist since early September so I'm hoping to hear something soon
I was on the waitlist since October and just got an offer. I believe they have a ranking system on the waitlist so it doesn't really matter when you interviewed, but how much they like your application and motivations for pursuing medicine. Is MU-COM your top choice for medical school? If so, send in a letter of intent that is heartfelt and true to why you want to pursue medicine and it may help.

Not all of the alternate candidates have received the email. I do not know for sure if it is "good or bad" per say, but I viewed the BMS email as a good sign. We were all put on the alternate list because of something in our application that prevented them from offering admission to us directly after our interviews. MU-COM ensures they say that they "view the alternate list as a group of prospective applicants who have a good likelihood of gaining admittance into their program". Of course, this quote is not exact but is along the lines of what they say in alternative placement notifications. I think it is reasonable to assume they would extend an offer to guarantee admission to next year's class to individuals they thought highly of on the alternate list. However, it is also reasonable to assume that this email was saying "you're in the bottom 50% of our alternate list, this opportunity may interest you because you may not get admittance this year". Either way, stay positive about your application and IF MU-COM is your top school, send in a heartfelt letter of intent that is true to yourself! Good luck everyone!
Yeah that’s what I keep going between! That it’s a good sign but also that they might be advising me I don’t have a shot. I did send a LOI about a month ago! Nothing I can do but wait I guess. Thanks everyone for the kind messages to stay positive!

Same here. I haven’t gotten anything about the BMS program. Did you get the email earlier this week telling you that they recently started accepting applicants from the alternate list? That is the only one I have gotten since my WL decision
I'm in the exact same position. I understand that they probably have their reasons but it's definitely disheartening to see others getting updates of any sort and still just being in the dark about your own standings. Best of luck to you!

I was on the waitlist since October and just got an offer. I believe they have a ranking system on the waitlist so it doesn't really matter when you interviewed, but how much they like your application and motivations for pursuing medicine. Is MU-COM your top choice for medical school? If so, send in a letter of intent that is heartfelt and true to why you want to pursue medicine and it may help.
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with how long you've been on it. I'm just growing more and more anxious as time goes on 😅 Marian is my top choice and I have sent them an LOI so hopefully I hear something soon. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with how long you've been on it. I'm just growing more and more anxious as time goes on 😅 Marian is my top choice and I have sent them an LOI so hopefully I hear something soon. Congratulations on your acceptance!
Thank you! Also, I completely understand that feeling. It is the worst, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone else! :( I wish you the best of luck. Remember to try and stay positive!

When is the deadline for you to committee to MU-COM? Just trying to gage when more people could get pulled from WL (hopefully)
I am not sure I understand your question, are you referring to the time I have to accept the offer and hold my seat in their program?

How long after acceptance do you receive the Financial Aid Award letter?

Just got a call from a 317 number and my heart started pounding so I answered it but it was just some random person with the wrong number 😂😂

How long after acceptance do you receive the Financial Aid Award letter?
I have not gotten mine yet because I am having troubles with studentaid.gov. However, I will let you know how long it takes after all materials are submitted!

Has anyone heard back from mr Nussle about what is needed to apply to the direct admit program? And anyone in here do the program last year that can offer advice ?

CONGRATULATIONS! And to confirm you never received any of the BMS messages? Just wanna see if there’s a pattern!
yesss also are you in state/out of state/stats if u will 🥺