2020-2021 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any insight in sending another LOI in response to this email if we already had sent one in before?
it says "if you have not done so already" so I'd assume you don't have to send another if you've already sent one

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I addressed it to the dean of admissions but I think you could address it to the members of the admissions committee if you wanted. I just uploaded it to the portal since that's what their correspondence information sheet instructed. It does make me nervous that no one will actually see it since you don't get a confirmation or anything, but that's what they say to do haha.

I addressed it to the admissions committee, that should be ok right?

Reactions: 1 user
I understand they definitely want interest letters from us, but is there a huge difference between a letter of intent/top choice vs. letter of interest/top 3? I love Mayo and would be so excited to attend but at this point I'm not comfortable saying any school is my top choice (honestly I can't decide between my top few schools, especially without financial aid factored in) - but at the same time, I'm worried that me not saying its my #1 will affect my chances? Not sure if anyone feels the same haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Letter of intents are different from letter of interests in that they basically tell them that if they accept you, you’re 100% going there and turning down all your other schools, so in your case I would say sending a letter of interest is the better option because it’s considered unethical to send a letter of intent if you’re not going to matriculate for sure
I agree. A rep from Hopkins said they don't even look at letters of intent because they believe students can abuse them and they may be writing more than one anyway. Most think that's unethical and dishonest, and I've heard some people say there can be residency application consequences (idk, I guess they can blacklist you? Not sure how that works).

I think Mayo would understand if you send a letter on interest for them being in your top 3 though; many of their students do get other amazing interviews, so they know that they aren't always everyone's top choice, but they certainly are for some! There any many reasons why someone would still choose them over better location or (barely) better research ranking schools though, including personal connection, so that is probably why they are trying to ask for letters or updates to let them know where you stand. Of course, that being said, I think it's also okay to not be sure if they're number 1 within your top 3, because in my opinion, financial aid is a big factor. Just send a letter of interest then, not intent, until you are SURE. As far as sending one if they're in your top 5 instead - I might do an update letter instead. I think it's better to be honest - the school can likely see through who has genuine strong reasons for wanting to go there and who doesn't.

I agree. A rep from Hopkins said they don't even look at letters of intent because they believe students can abuse them and they may be writing more than one anyway. Most think that's unethical and dishonest, and I've heard some people say there can be residency application consequences (idk, I guess they can blacklist you? Not sure how that works).

I think Mayo would understand if you send a letter on interest for them being in your top 3 though; many of their students do get other amazing interviews, so they know that they aren't always everyone's top choice, but they certainly are for some! There any many reasons why someone would still choose them over better location or (barely) better research ranking schools though, including personal connection, so that is probably why they are trying to ask for letters or updates to let them know where you stand. Of course, that being said, I think it's also okay to not be sure if they're number 1 within your top 3, because in my opinion, financial aid is a big factor. Just send a letter of interest then, not intent, until you are SURE. As far as sending one if they're in your top 5 instead - I might do an update letter instead. I think it's better to be honest - the school can likely see through who has genuine strong reasons for wanting to go there and who doesn't.
do people normally specify whether they're in top 3, top 5, etc. as you mentioned?

do people normally specify whether they're in top 3, top 5, etc. as you mentioned?

I'm not sure specifying top 3, top 5, etc is normal for most letters of interest. I do recall an earlier email from Mayo did state this:

"We encourage you to stay in contact with us by submitting significant updates, a letter of interest (top three schools you are considering), or a letter of intent (top choice). You can submit these updates and letters by uploading them directly to the admissions portal as PDF documents."

This is the first school I've heard from that clarified letter of interest as "top three schools you are considering", so I don't think it's that common to do.

• Wow
I'm not sure specifying top 3, top 5, etc is normal for most letters of interest. I do recall an earlier email from Mayo did state this:

"We encourage you to stay in contact with us by submitting significant updates, a letter of interest (top three schools you are considering), or a letter of intent (top choice). You can submit these updates and letters by uploading them directly to the admissions portal as PDF documents."

This is the first school I've heard from that clarified letter of interest as "top three schools you are considering", so I don't think it's that common to do.
I wouldn’t. The letter itself reflects that. Why would anyone say top 5 rather than top 3 when there is no chance a school would be able to verify that lol.
Ah, got it. thank you guys. I saw people mentioning this and was a little confused haha

Hey Im not sure if this campus has been having administrators reach out to schedule zoom calls post interview, but if so, have any of you had that zoom call yet? Mine is in a few days (interviewed for AZ) and idk how to prep/what to expect
when did you interview if you don’t mind? i’m trying to gauge if they’re going in order or anything lol

ok just a quick question are scrolling through this forum.

so on my own i kind of came to the decision to do a letter of intent for mayo over another similarly ranked school. i did this specifically with personal ties to the institution in mind. after reading the last couple posts in this forum, should i just make it a letter of interest instead? i do love mayo and i would 100% go if i got in, but i am concerned that they might think it isn’t sincere if i do a letter of intent. thank you in advance for the advice :)

ok just a quick question are scrolling through this forum.

so on my own i kind of came to the decision to do a letter of intent for mayo over another similarly ranked school. i did this specifically with personal ties to the institution in mind. after reading the last couple posts in this forum, should i just make it a letter of interest instead? i do love mayo and i would 100% go if i got in, but i am concerned that they might think it isn’t sincere if i do a letter of intent. thank you in advance for the advice :)
If you know you would attend Mayo if you get the acceptance, I don't see why you shouldn't submit a Letter of Intent. I don't think they would see the Letter of Intent as being disingenuous, especially if you clearly articulate in your letter why you love Mayo and why you would definitely attend the school. If anything, it would probably help you more to do a Letter of Intent because they really value when students rank them first. So, if you feel comfortable with the intent letter, I would go for it :)

• Care
If you know you would attend Mayo if you get the acceptance, I don't see why you shouldn't submit a Letter of Intent. I don't think they would see the Letter of Intent as being disingenuous, especially if you clearly articulate in your letter why you love Mayo and why you would definitely attend the school. If anything, it would probably help you more to do a Letter of Intent because they really value when students rank them first. So, if you feel comfortable with the intent letter, I would go for it :)
thank you!! got a little in my head after reading some LOI discussions here. i appreciate the reassurance a lot :)

• Love
when did you interview if you don’t mind? i’m trying to gauge if they’re going in order or anything lol
Mine was 10/15 I believe. Would you mind elaborating on what made you hesitant about sending a LOIntent?

Members don't see this ad :)

@prototypeblitz basically this point brought up

also i have heard that writing an LOI can hurt your chances of financial aid and scholarships but i am not sure if that’s true or just hearsay

for me personally i kind of had a hard time choosing which school to write and LOI for because the pros and cons lists were basically even, so when i saw that post saying that intent letters aren’t even looked at made me a bit scared lol

Are we pretty much DOA if we haven't received any emails asking about our interest from our interviewers?

Are we pretty much DOA if we haven't received any emails asking about our interest from our interviewers?
Not at all, look at previous years -- plenty accepted without these emails and many in-between. Don't panic over little things like emails! Mayo is not the kind of school that does that kind of petty stuff.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

also i have heard that writing an LOI can hurt your chances of financial aid and scholarships but i am not sure if that’s true or just hearsay

for me personally i kind of had a hard time choosing which school to write and LOI for because the pros and cons lists were basically even, so when i saw that post saying that intent letters aren’t even looked at made me a bit scared lol
hmm interesting. Thanks for sharing

I agree. I do not see how a LOI can help your chances of receiving any merit scholarships.

just got the highly-ranked email!

Does the Fl 2+2 track work the same way in terms of the ranking process/notification?? I never got a scored email at all

Last edited:
I just got the highly ranked email, what does this mean?

Well, no email. At least I was able to interview ig

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
If you're interested, even if you've sent them a letter before, send them a message again. Doesn't need to be a novel though :) good luck everyone!

If you're interested, even if you've sent them a letter before, send them a message again. Doesn't need to be a novel though :) good luck everyone!

Even if we didn't get a highly ranked email?

FYI, got a post interview highly ranked email this morning.

interviewed for Rochester back in early December - sent letter of interest a short while after.

FYI regarding financial implications, email says “current expression of interest is unrelated to our future financial aid decisions” as well as “Financial aid calculations and decisions are independent of when during the season one is accepted.”

Reactions: 2 users
Are these highly ranked emails coming directly from interviewers or the portal?

I want to hear more about these highly ranked emails - what else does it say? Does it encourage you to do anything else or give other info?

Got the highly ranked email today also, interviewed 12/11. Had already sent an interest letter in late December.

Highly ranked letter feels generic, but also not. Is this a good thing?

So... if we did not get the highly ranked email, should we assume a likely WL/R?

So... if we did not get the highly ranked email, should we assume a likely WL/R?
It could depend on when you interviewed. If you interviewed later, you just may not have received one yet? I interviewed in mid-Dec, so it didn't come for a while afterward.

I joined SDN when I was in college in 2005.
Nice. The year I graduated high school.

Also, received the highly ranked email today! woo!

I wouldn't put too much stock into if you did not receive it. It's how the gauge interest, it's not a sure thing you're in if you got it or out if you didn't. I have two friends that are current M1s and neither of them received the coveted "highly ranked" email. Both accepted in the first wave - not waitlisted.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users

I wouldn't put too much stock into if you did not receive it. It's how the gauge interest, it's not a sure thing you're in if you got it or out if you didn't. I have two friends that are current M1s and neither of them received the coveted "highly ranked" email. Both accepted in the first wave - not waitlisted.
thank you for saying this, this has decreased my anxiety a lot lol

Reactions: 3 users

That also makes me feel better!

Do your friends have any insight into why they keep sending them out with that wording if they're only to gauge interest?

Reactions: 2 users
That also makes me feel better!

Do your friends have any insight into why they keep sending them out with that wording if they're only to gauge interest?
Nope. Everyone has the same sentiment — they send out a lot of communication and ask for a lot of communication. It may or may not matter.

I assume its because they only want to accept students that they know will matriculate (I believe this affects the USWNR ranking score). If I understand correctly, they do not over accept with the initial wave of acceptances. They will accept the class size in hopes of there being little to no movement in the waitlist. Obviously, they know that doesn't work out as there is always movement with other considerations (fin aid, location, etc). After decisions go out, they will make another group of acceptances several months later and that will basically be it for WL movement (unlike the rolling WL acceptances most schools do).

Nope. Everyone has the same sentiment — they send out a lot of communication and ask for a lot of communication. It may or may not matter.

I assume its because they only want to accept students that they know will matriculate (I believe this affects the USWNR ranking score). If I understand correctly, they do not over accept with the initial wave of acceptances. They will accept the class size in hopes of there being little to no movement in the waitlist. Obviously, they know that doesn't work out as there is always movement with other considerations (fin aid, location, etc). After decisions go out, they will make another group of acceptances several months later and that will basically be it for WL movement (unlike the rolling WL acceptances most schools do).
Now I'm wondering if I should second my second letter of intent I was holding off on for if I get waitlisted!

What is the vibe on acceptances after not having received a "highly ranked" email? Has it happened, or do I need to brace for an R?

What is the vibe on acceptances after not having received a "highly ranked" email? Has it happened, or do I need to brace for an R?

@leilani_boo, dindjarin87 shared the above anecdote on two friends yesterday. Not getting the highly ranked email doesn't mean you can't get accepted. People have gotten into Mayo in the first wave without receiving a "highly ranked" email.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey folks, I'm planning to submit an LOI today and am also including an update about a manuscript that has been accepted for publication. If anyone has provided a similar update, did you upload the pre-print proof to the portal, or would just the update suffice? Thanks
I uploaded the actual PDF of the journal article instead of the preprint to the portal, but up to you!

Just got the call for the A for MSTP today! Still waiting to get the offer letter to make sure the call was real because I still can't believe it! lol.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users