2020-2021 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know haven't done anything, but just getting the Certiphi email makes me feel like I'm guilty of something lol
Guilty of getting an acceptance! Congratulations!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
II when I got home from work about a half hour ago! OOS Complete late July

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning, I’m so excited!! IS, MCAT 511, both GPAs ~3.9 and marked complete 7/14/20

edit: will add my interview is for late January

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Did anybody else get the flashdrive/holiday card from the admissions office?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any out of state MCW students I could message about finances and cost of living? I heard MCW really low balls their cost of living estimates and it's stressing me out.
Sorry im late to the thread but I am OOS at MCW. Milwaukee as a whole is pretty cheap for a mid-size city. I find their estimate to be pretty accurate if anything a little high

If any current students (or anyone that knows this info) could answer a few questions for me that would be great!

-Have they transitioned to true P/F?
-Is there an internal ranking system?
-What is the minimum passing grade?
- Yes
- No internal ranking at all. Kinda surprising actually
- 65 at this time, I have heard talks of bumping to 70, but likely hearsay

Reactions: 4 users
can any current or future students talk about what living in milwaukee is like? i'm more of a big city person and i don't know how appealing a midwest location would be...super excited about their program though but trying to get an idea of the lifestyle
I love the city, hate the weather. Lots to do tho: sports teams, beaches, good parks, some nice areas downtown to explore. Depends on what you are comparing it too tho

Reactions: 1 user
I think it only went to accepted applicants. It's got past match lists + other information about financial aid, academic support, student orgs, summer research programs, ect.
WL applicants also received it

Reactions: 2 users
Looking back in the thread it looks like interview decisions are released monthly. Anyone interview recently and know when January interview decisions would be released?

II this morning, I’m so excited!! IS, MCAT 511, both GPAs ~3.9 and marked complete 7/14/20

edit: will add my interview is for late January
Looking back in the thread it looks like interview decisions are released monthly. Anyone interview recently and know when January interview decisions would be released?
I don't think interviews are released monthly, but several people did get II yesterday.

I don't think interviews are released monthly, but several people did get II yesterday.

Sorry, I meant post-II decisions. It seemed like all of the A/WL decisions came on single days in October, November, and December

Anyone who has interviewed here willing to share any thoughts about the interview? Stress level? Did interview feel more like a conversation or were there set questions that were asked?

Anyone who has interviewed here willing to share any thoughts about the interview? Stress level? Did interview feel more like a conversation or were there set questions that were asked?
I thought it was a pretty low-stress interview. They did have some specific questions, but it wasn't anything that I didn't feel like I couldn't handle. At the end, there was also some time that allowed me to ask them some questions. That definitely made it feel pretty conversational.

I thought it was a pretty low-stress interview. They did have some specific questions, but it wasn't anything that I didn't feel like I couldn't handle. At the end, there was also some time that allowed me to ask them some questions. That definitely made it feel pretty conversational.
Awesome! Sounds pretty on par with what I anticipated, appreciate the insight!

Is it okay to have a notepad with a few of my questions written down? I have a decent amount and I don't want to forget to ask any of them. But I also don't want them thinking that my notepad has predetermined answers to the interview questions

Is it okay to have a notepad with a few of my questions written down? I have a decent amount and I don't want to forget to ask any of them. But I also don't want them thinking that my notepad has predetermined answers to the interview questions
I think that would be totally fine, but I'm just an applicant like you.

that sounds false, I did get a pre-II R last week
Yes, MCW said in an email that they were not going to but it seems that some people have gotten them. Best of luck with your applications.

II last monday, i've just been mia from thinking about med school over break </3

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yes, MCW said in an email that they were not going to but it seems that some people have gotten them. Best of luck with your applications.
Not to be pedantic, but the email stated that they don’t do silent rejections and that you will hear once they complete all interview regardless. This doesn’t suggest that they don’t reject before that, which is obviously the case, given the posts on this thread.

Does anyone know if the past acceptances in this thread are all for the Milwaukee site or are any for the regional branches?

thank you for another application cycle update MCW! For those without it, they’ll be handing out IIs until mid March so we got another 2 months of chronic anxiety in waiting

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Official email for those who didn't get it:

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School! We are emailing today with a brief update now that the winter holidays are behind us and we are in the second half of the application cycle.

Our office is still diligently reviewing applications and will continue to send interview invitations until mid-March. If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive communication via email. If you are not selected for an interview, you will receive a notification of that once all interview days are complete. We do not utilize “silent rejections.” Unfortunately, we cannot provide any individualized status updates, nor can we elaborate on where exactly your application is within the review process or your likelihood of receiving an interview invitation.

In the meantime, you are welcome to upload any updates or additional documents directly to your secondary application portal. This can be done using the “Document Upload” section. Portal uploads will be reviewed with the rest of your application materials when applicable.

We know that at this point in the cycle, many applicants have committed to other medical schools. If you’re no longer interested in MCW, please withdraw your application using the “Status” section of your secondary application portal. We appreciate your time doing so as it greatly helps the Admissions Committee focus their efforts toward considering applicants who are eagerly awaiting an interview invitation.

Thank you again, and please contact our office with any questions!

Sincerely,

Alexis C. Meyer
Director of Recruitment and Admissions
MCW Medical School

So in short, same as others email updates.

i wasnt a fan that the rejections are held until the very end of the cycle. i never realized that from the past emails. guess i was not paying attention.
people have been getting them throughout the cycle too, I think

i wasnt a fan that the rejections are held until the very end of the cycle. i never realized that from the past emails. guess i was not paying attention.
You are right in that it is worse to receive an R at the end of the cycle than in November. However, to remain under consideration throughout the cycle, and get one in feb or march is much better than an R in November.

Reactions: 4 users
Official email for those who didn't get it:

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School! We are emailing today with a brief update now that the winter holidays are behind us and we are in the second half of the application cycle.

Our office is still diligently reviewing applications and will continue to send interview invitations until mid-March. If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive communication via email. If you are not selected for an interview, you will receive a notification of that once all interview days are complete. We do not utilize “silent rejections.” Unfortunately, we cannot provide any individualized status updates, nor can we elaborate on where exactly your application is within the review process or your likelihood of receiving an interview invitation.

In the meantime, you are welcome to upload any updates or additional documents directly to your secondary application portal. This can be done using the “Document Upload” section. Portal uploads will be reviewed with the rest of your application materials when applicable.

We know that at this point in the cycle, many applicants have committed to other medical schools. If you’re no longer interested in MCW, please withdraw your application using the “Status” section of your secondary application portal. We appreciate your time doing so as it greatly helps the Admissions Committee focus their efforts toward considering applicants who are eagerly awaiting an interview invitation.

Thank you again, and please contact our office with any questions!

Sincerely,

Alexis C. Meyer
Director of Recruitment and Admissions
MCW Medical School

So in short, same as others email updates.
Nearly had a heart attack when I received this email - thought it was a R

Reactions: 5 users
You are right in that it is worse to receive an R at the end of the cycle than in November. However, to remain under consideration throughout the cycle, and get one in feb or march is much better than an R in November.
true that, all about the perspective i guess!