2020-2021 Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a FB group or a GroupMe chat for class of 2025

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait on their website it says final decisions will be made October 1 - March 15. So does that mean if we are on a hold we will find out on the 15th if we get waitlisted?

Reactions: 1 user
My guess is that it'll be closer to April 15th before they reject people because of COVID but I guess you never know

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait on their website it says final decisions will be made October 1 - March 15. So does that mean if we are on a hold we will find out on the 15th if we get waitlisted?
I have in my notes from my interview day in December that they review the applications on hold in late March, and they finalize the waitlist in early April

Does anyone know if there's a word/character limit for scholarship applications?

Director Kerr just reached out to me and invited me to complete two additional virtual interviews. Is this a good thing? I was under the impression that they only re-interviewed students who had one interview that was very different from others, but my three initial interviews went wonderfully. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Director Kerr just reached out to me and invited me to complete two additional virtual interviews. Is this a good thing? I was under the impression that they only re-interviewed students who had one interview that was very different from others, but my three initial interviews went wonderfully. Does anyone have any insight into this?
Additional communication is always a good sign. What are your stats, if you don't mind sharing?

Last edited:
If any current students are lurking here: do you feel like the school is friendly toward minorities? I'm trying to decide between here and more expensive private school. Honestly I'm worried that I will feel really uncomfortable at a predominately white and Southern institution because frankly that's how it was growing up in South Carolina.

If any current students are lurking here: do you feel like the school is friendly toward minorities? I'm trying to decide between here and more expensive private school. Honestly I'm worried that I will feel really uncomfortable at a predominately white and Southern institution because frankly that's how it was growing up in South Carolina.
Medical school is already going to be super tough as is. Having to worry about whether or not you're comfortable there does not seem optimal when having to deal with all the rigors of medical school. I would definitely go to a school where you know you will feel most comfortable

any updates as of late? my "on hold" email said to expect to hear back early march, and I officially think we are past early March.
Looking back at last cycles thread there was a chart going around that could only be accessed on the MUSC server? Does anyone have access to that or know anything? https://mainweb-v.musc.edu/applicationstats/index.html
The waiting is so dreadfully painful.

any updates as of late? my "on hold" email said to expect to hear back early march, and I officially think we are past early March.
Looking back at last cycles thread there was a chart going around that could only be accessed on the MUSC server? Does anyone have access to that or know anything? https://mainweb-v.musc.edu/applicationstats/index.html
When I spoke to someone in admissions a few weeks ago, I asked him about that and he told me that they intended to release more stuff around mid March but now it’s been pushed back to mid April

I had a meeting with someone in admissions and I was told they have an admission meeting the end of this month and that they will be creating the waiting list the beginning of April

I am not a current student, I am actually on hold. But I'm URM and have worked here doing research and working with the research side of things ( a lot of whom also teach) and they're all incredibly friendly and supportive. Especially the head the Diversity and Inclusion she is 1000% committed to seeing her students succeed. So I would say don't worry about it. This is coming from a Black Woman!! There's definitely not a ton of black people here, but we are here! lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are people who interviewed here in March (me) typically waitlisted? Adcom said they're making decisions on March interviews at the end of the month and I'm getting just a smidge nervous about the outcome. ~stats are qualifiable~

At least based off what they said at the interview, you get an index score based off your gpa, mcat, interviews, and “everything else”. They have a set score, and they lower it with every batch of students they accept. So everyone that’s interviewed from beginning of interviews to now can retroactively get in if they meet the new threshold. I have no idea if your score can tie with someone and they accept based on who applied first, but all-in-all, it does not seem to matter.

Also did they give you a specific date? They told us a specific date when I was interviewed. I just want to know when in the month I need to be anxious.
I can't remember if they told us 30th/31st, but either one of those days in March from 4:30-6:30 is when accepted students should be getting calls.

I interviewed recently. They said AdCom was meeting for final batch of acceptances on March 30th and calls will go out around 4:30-7:30 for accepted students. The waitlist will come out April 13th.

If you reach a certain index score you are automatically accepted (according to them), after that, its competition between you and other applicants and everything extra you bring that helps your case

I wonder if they will send out more acceptances at the end of march since this is the last time they are sending out A's that aren't off the waitlist. hopefully they will send out more A's for the people that have their app on hold but I haven't heard of anyone actually getting in retroactively so who knows

Has anyone on here gotten in retroactively/off of a hold yet? Or has anyone heard of that happening?

4:30-6:30 or are they going for longer this time?
They told me 5-7 and they told someone else 4:30-7:30. So I’m gonna go with the longest time window to give myself some sanity.

Have waitlist emails already gone out?
If it is like last year, then usually after they call the last accepted person they send out the emails about you being on hold until the waitlist comes out which will probably be the 2nd week of April. Last year I got my waitlist e-mail around 7:30pm

I can't stop checking this thread lmao. How are you guys doin

i am SWEATING no news yet
if it makes you feel any better, while i was looking back through this thread I saw that people were getting calls even after 7PM so we've got that going for us

Has no one heard yet? I find it weird that no one posting in this thread has gotten a call yet.

if i were an adcom i would be trolling this forum and laughing lmao

• Haha
Just got the call. They said they just finished meeting. GPA: 3.5 GPA Masters: 3.95 MCAT: 506 2nd time applying

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call. They said they just finished meeting. GPA: 3.5 GPA Masters: 3.95 MCAT: 506 2nd time applying
like they just finished meeting and they've already called everyone? or they just finished deciding who to call and are now calling everyone?

like they just finished meeting and they've already called everyone? or they just finished deciding who to call and are now calling everyone?
Just finished deciding and now starting to call

Just finished deciding and now starting to call
season 9 no GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Got the call holy 5#%!578?. Sending out good vibes for the rest of the SDN fam 🙏

Reactions: 3 users
If the calls started as late as the other comments say they did, there should be probably a whole nother hour of calls. But we’ll see I guess.
damn you really think so? idk, a couple of my friends in the last round of acceptances received their waitlist emails at around 8:40pm

I’m mostly just trying to be optismistic, based on the normal times 4:30-700 so about 2 hours to call acceptances and based off previous comments, we hadn’t reached those 2 hours yet.
that's fair, I see what you're getting at now. I kind of figured that that time frame was also used to decide who to call. I mean how long can it take to call maybe 20 people? of course I'm guessing there. but I'll try to stay optimistic with you