2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you with LOR's finally marked, about how long did it take you? It's been over 2 weeks for me since I've completed my application and still no check mark :/
There was one date (August 18th) where most everbody’s LORs were marked received on one go. The same thing will probably happen again!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you with LOR's finally marked, about how long did it take you? It's been over 2 weeks for me since I've completed my application and still no check mark :/
Were any of your letters added after verification? Mine were marked complete within a few days/week (not sure exactly sorry)

Members don't see this ad :)
Were any of your letters added after verification? Mine were marked complete within a few days/week (not sure exactly sorry)

Mine were sent with my primary back in July but I had only completed my secondary 2 weeks ago!

Has anybody confirmed with the school whether or not to include a brief description for the chronological lists of volunteering and employment? I've seen several people on here say not to because only the shadowing question specifically says to include this, but in the "2021 Secondary Application Instructions" that was attached to the email it says "When asked for a chronologic list, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description of the activity."

so one of my family members was actually seen at both Bascom and Sylvester for different health conditions, do you think writing about that experience and feeling connected to the institution that way would be helpful to add in the "why miami" essay?

I submitted by app on 08/11 and my LORs write before then but still no check mark for my LORs, should I email them or just wait some more?

I submitted by app on 08/11 and my LORs write before then but still no check mark for my LORs, should I email them or just wait some more?

Yea I’ve been waiting for my LOR check mark for a while too :/ I emailed them earlier and they said to be patient and that it may take up to a few weeks

Has anyone marked complete 8/18 or after have their status say they've been scored? Just says under review for me

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you be marked under review without having your rec letters marked complete? I already submitted my rec letters, but have yet to be marked complete

Don’t think so
Mine says "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine." but my rec letters have not been marked complete

“Under review” is the default status that appears after you submit your application. Mine went “under review” to “currently being reviewed” after my letters came in. Then to “has been reviewed” a few days later.

“Under review” is the default status that appears after you submit your application. Mine went “under review” to “currently being reviewed” after my letters came in. Then to “has been reviewed” a few days later.
When were you complete?

93C0E198-413E-452E-835D-FBFE85848859.jpeg

This is what the message is for me today. I believe it just changed today. I submitted my app on the 6th

Reactions: 6 users
Pretty sure that no everyone gets scored, so getting scored is a step in the right direction!

Yeah I currently go here and they explained it to us at orientation. Without a doubt there’s a group that doesn’t get scored but it’s far smaller than you think and usually becomes apparent later in the cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I currently go here and they explained it to us at orientation. Without a doubt there’s a group that doesn’t get scored but it’s far smaller than you think and usually becomes apparent later in the cycle.
Oh ho ho look at me, in the not so exclusive “scored” group. Massive ego boost that is

Reactions: 2 users
Am I screwed here if I'm just now submitting 2°, (assuming holistic review otherwise)?

Am I the only one not seeing anything about being scored? Mine just says in green text “your application to the UM Miller School of Medicine is complete and is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee”

Reactions: 1 users
Am I the only one not seeing anything about being scored? Mine just says in green text “your application to the UM Miller School of Medicine is complete and is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee”
That means you haven’t been scored yet

Which group does not scored just out of curiosity?

How do they decide that without scoring lol @rutgers_Kool-Aid?
I have no idea about the process behind the decision to score. Perhaps there is an initial process pre-scoring that determines whether an application should be scored? They definitely do reject people who are scored though

I think it's way too early to think of yourself as being in the rejected group. I might be concerned if it was December and the status hasn't changed but we are still so early in the cycle and with all the essays Miami requires, I'm sure it'll take longer for some applicants to be scored. HAVE HOPE!

I don't think I've seen anyone make this disclaimer yet this year, but it's always necessary, so:

Please try not to spend all your time worrying about status updates/scoring/etc!!

Once you've confirmed that youre complete (which may take some time, admissions officers are human), there's not much you can do. Worrying about scoring etc is natural, but I promise you your application is being looked at. Every year there are pages and pages of people worrying about scoring and the exact wording of status updates and every little thing. I know I can't stop y'all from overanalyzing every little step of the process, but please try to do your mental health some good and try to keep it to as little as possible.

y'all are all rockstars, application season is awful and theres so much you can't control, but you're gonna be okay.

Reactions: 11 users
I don't think I've seen anyone make this disclaimer yet this year, but it's always necessary, so:

Please try not to spend all your time worrying about status updates/scoring/etc!!

Once you've confirmed that youre complete (which may take some time, admissions officers are human), there's not much you can do. Worrying about scoring etc is natural, but I promise you your application is being looked at. Every year there are pages and pages of people worrying about scoring and the exact wording of status updates and every little thing. I know I can't stop y'all from overanalyzing every little step of the process, but please try to do your mental health some good and try to keep it to as little as possible.

y'all are all rockstars, application season is awful and theres so much you can't control, but you're gonna be okay.
much appreciated. I’ve definitely been checking this page and my app status an embarrassing amount. I shall now throw my phone in the corner and forget about it. for now.

I just scored today. "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March. "

I just scored today. "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March. "
When were you complete?

I turned in secondary the first day and LOR marked complete 8/11. When I first saw the status update, it read differently. It was pretty much the same message but they said interviews would be sent starting September. I checked an hour later and it got changed to what I posted above.

I've found the general consensus here is to group your volunteer experiences on this secondary - "Worked at a soup kitchen: Spring 2018 - Fall 2018"

How about shadowing/clinical experiences? Do I need to include the specific month AND day that I shadowed a specific doctor? I've shadowed 7 physicians and tbh I'm not sure of the month or day for some of them lol

I've found the general consensus here is to group your volunteer experiences on this secondary - "Worked at a soup kitchen: Spring 2018 - Fall 2018"

How about shadowing/clinical experiences? Do I need to include the specific month AND day that I shadowed a specific doctor? I've shadowed 7 physicians and tbh I'm not sure of the month or day for some of them lol

I would def try to include at least the month and year and if you can't remember, use seasons/semesters like you did for volunteering. unless you shadowed physicians at a bunch of different places, I would group them all under the same period (ie. you worked in a hospital for a yr and shadowed 4 different specialities. it still happened at the same place during the total duration of when you worked/volunteered there). you can state you shadowed multiple in the description.

Last edited:
finally almost done this beast of a secondary but I'm wondering what others think about leaving the travel essay blank if you've talked about your most meaningful elsewhere already? I extensively discussed a medical mission in my PS and most meaningful activity on AMCAS so I don't want to be redundant. and if I choose a different travel experience to write about in this essay, it will negate my medical mission being the most meaningful. feel like they don't need to read about the same trip a 3rd time but at the same time, they also might be surprised that I didn't because I have the experience.

finally almost done this beast of a secondary but I'm wondering what others think about leaving the travel essay blank if you've talked about your most meaningful elsewhere already? I extensively discussed a medical mission in my PS and most meaningful activity on AMCAS so I don't want to be redundant. and if I choose a different travel experience to write about in this essay, it will negate my medical mission being the most meaningful. feel like they don't need to read about the same trip a 3rd time but at the same time, they also might be surprised that I didn't because I have the experience.

I think you may be interpreting "most meaningful" a bit too literally - talking about another experience doesn't negate what you've already talked about, people are multifaceted. If you're really worried, you could always say "In addition to the medical mission I discussed in my personal statement, another important experience I had was..." (clunky, but might give you peace of mind if you have something you otherwise think would fit the prompt?)

Reactions: 1 users
I think you may be interpreting "most meaningful" a bit too literally - talking about another experience doesn't negate what you've already talked about, people are multifaceted. If you're really worried, you could always say "In addition to the medical mission I discussed in my personal statement, another important experience I had was..." (clunky, but might give you peace of mind if you have something you otherwise think would fit the prompt?)

you're right, you just can never know with adcoms so I try to be as careful as possible lol. gonna stick with the new experience and just make a quick reference in the beginning like you suggested. appreciate your opinion!