2020-2021 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopefully there’s a lot of alternate list movement this cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Was last year’s alt list movement bad or something?

(Also put on alt list 😔)

Was last year’s alt list movement bad or something?

(Also put on alt list 😔)
I emailed to ask if this year may be different in terms of waitlist movement!

“ The Office of Admissions does not rank alternate’s applications; alternate applications are reviewed whenever the number of accepted applicants falls below the entering class size. The number of applicants accepted from the alternate list varies widely year to year. The college has admitted alternates into the college as late as a week prior to the start of pre-matriculation and orientation week.

Your file remains under consideration for acceptance until we notify you of a change in your status. Mid to late June, CHM releases the majority of applicants on the alternate list. A modest number are reserved to fill class vacancies as they occur. Our class size and composition is not definite until the beginning of orientation in mid-August. Currently, we do not expect any changes to this process or the usual pattern due to the pandemic.

The Office of Admissions encourages you to make plans for next year as if you were not entering medical school at the MSU College of Human Medicine.

We appreciate your continued interest. If not selected and you decide to reapply, it will be a pleasure to review your application and see how you have grown and flourished as you’ve continued the journey toward a career in medicine!”

None of that sounds good....
Ugggh...I wish I got IIs earlier on in the cycle...

Last edited:
Man, this is the most alternate list decisions I’ve seen this whole thread, what the heck?

Interviewed 1/25, also received alternate list email earlier. I’m bummed ☹️

I know people who have gotten off of the alternate list in previous cycles. I think there may be more movement this year due to the abnormally high number of applicants. Keep hope!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
I know people who have gotten off of the alternate list in previous cycles. I think there may be more movement this year due to the abnormally high number of applicants. Keep hope!

Any idea when they did? Because as the late as mid-August sounds...rough.

I know MSU CHM does not accept update letters, however is it appropriate to send a letter of intent post interview? My interview was a couple weeks ago...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how early we'll see alternate list movement?

I know April 30th is the last day for "students who have acceptances have to solidify their decision."

But the last decision date for MSU is the 30th this month, any chance we can start to see people getting accepted from the alternate list as early as then?

Anyone know how early we'll see alternate list movement?

I know April 30th is the last day for "students who have acceptances have to solidify their decision."

But the last decision date for MSU is the 30th this month, any chance we can start to see people getting accepted from the alternate list as early as then?
I think they normally only take ~20 people off the waitlist per year but I hope to think we have a shot... I still can’t believe I was waitlisted here

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I think they normally only take ~20 people off the waitlist per year but I hope to think we have a shot... I still can’t believe I was waitlisted here
I would be so grateful if there was waitlist movement before April 30th.

I would be so grateful if there was waitlist movement before April 30th.
I called and was told there typically isn’t waitlist movement until after the multiple acceptance deadline (April 30th) because there isn’t much movement until then.
I think maybe they see how many seats are open and send updated acceptances from there

Hopefully it’s more than that. Where’d you find this information?

Hopefully it’s more than that. Where’d you find this information?
I talked to an adcom earlier this year and they said this - MSU unfortunately does not have good WL movement cause they typically accept more students (not a great feeling for us WL folks)

I talked to an adcom earlier this year and they said this - MSU unfortunately does not have good WL movement cause they typically accept more students (not a great feeling for us WL folks)
Wow. Hoping for an irregular year with more movement! Fingers crossed 🤞

I called and was told there typically isn’t waitlist movement until after the multiple acceptance deadline (April 30th) because there isn’t much movement until then.
I think maybe they see how many seats are open and send updated acceptances from there
Thank you for calling! So helpful for all of us hoping and waiting.

Alternatively, I’ve heard MSU WLs aren’t huge at least.

Guess we just got to update them and hope for the best.

• Care
If I interviewed on 1/25 and haven't heard anything yet, would it be inappropriate to call or email?

Seeing how many people getting alternate list’d yesterday and with interviews being done, I wonder if the campuses are filled?

I sent my letter of intent since being waitlisted and I'm moving on, not too hopeful for getting off, but I hope some of us do. Gonna just focus on the next application cycle as this was my only interview. Now I just gotta stop checking SDN so I don't lose my sanity. I wanna try and just not check it again, even when April 15th rolls around, but I know I will 😭

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I sent my letter of intent since being waitlisted and I'm moving on, not too hopeful for getting off, but I hope some of us do. Gonna just focus on the next application cycle as this was my only interview. Now I just gotta stop checking SDN so I don't lose my sanity. I wanna try and just not check it again, even when April 15th rolls around, but I know I will 😭
This is where I need to be mentally. Send an update letter and move on

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
This is where I need to be mentally. Send an update letter and move on

I feel the same as y’all, but uggh, I just wish I could make sense of things. Just feels so weird that there were so few IIs and As earlier in this thread only for this interview session to have so many WLs, even weirder that campus placement has yet to happen as well.

Also, as a third-time reapplicant who only got a few interviews this cycle (first time getting any interviews), and especially after feeling that the interview I did have here went great, I’m just sorta hurt, I guess.

• Care
How many schools did you apply to?

The Campus Placement Request form is on the portal!
I find it funny there is already a future option to "accept EL campus placement and request to be put on Grand Rapids campus waitlist."

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have opinions on EL vs GR? As someone OOS, would love to hear so I can make a somewhat informed decision 🥺

Anyone have opinions on EL vs GR? As someone OOS, would love to hear so I can make a somewhat informed decision 🥺
Very little prior knowledge myself, but GR is a more hip city I think for young professionals, and the facilities are newer.

If you’re into sports and like watching the games and such EL might be a good bet. I’m personally choosing GR bc im prone to distraction and there’s ubiquitous distraction in all forms in EL😂 (speaking from my 4 years already in EL)

I picked GR primarily because my family lives there, and I'm familiar with the hospital system and city. I have heard from multiple people that the class in EL is "closer and more collaborative" and that it's somewhat more competitive and spread out in GR, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Does anyone know what the COL is like in EL?

I interviewed on 2/26. I never sent a thank you note because I forgot the interviewer's name.... is it too late to send one? Would it look bad?? Afraid it will come off too generalized as well

I interviewed on 2/26. I never sent a thank you note because I forgot the interviewer's name.... is it too late to send one? Would it look bad?? Afraid it will come off too generalized as well
Neither I nor anyone I know who was accepted sent a thank you note, so you'll be fine without it! I think that unless you send it within a day or so, there's really no need.