2020-2021 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Um, II half an hour ago. IS, LM 70, complete 7/12.

Edit: I am actually in shock.
You give me hope. Complete 7/10 and silence.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Um, II half an hour ago. IS, LM 70, complete 7/12.

Edit: I am actually in shock.
Congrats!!!! Can I ask if you ever sent an update to them? I am complete near the same time and have some major updates I could send, so wondering if I should or not.

Reactions: 1 user
WOAH! 7/12??? I was completed for two schools in July so I can imagine the stress! So happy for you!
Omg what!! Congrats! Maybe they’re just getting started looking at in state apps since you got verified so early?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!! Can I ask if you ever sent an update to them? I am complete near the same time and have some major updates I could send, so wondering if I should or not.
I actually never sent an update. I do have one that I'll probably send in advance of my interview, but hadn't gotten around to submitting it yet. Scheduling into Dec. and Jan.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually never sent an update. I do have one that I'll probably send in advance of my interview, but hadn't gotten around to submitting it yet. Scheduling into Dec. and Jan.

Not sure how you arrived here but the purpose of this thread is sharing weekly despair, not excitement.

Kidding of course, congrats!

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Not sure how you arrived here but the purpose of this thread is sharing weekly despair, not excitement.

Kidding of course, congrats!
I had totally given up hope, honestly! I can't believe how slowly they're rolling these interviews out, but I'm honored to have received one. All the best to you all, too.

Every time I open my portal I see my pre-II R from the last time I applied, and below it my application from this year announcing that my interview is scheduled. :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Hi all,

I'm wondering what the general energy of the student body is like at UMich med school. Everyone I've met so far seems genuinely down to earth, kind, and passionate about what they do, but I'm having a tough time ascertaining what the overall class is like - ex, are people generally interested/involved in social justice (like Pritzker), are they focused on grades/gunners, etc? (I know that all of these characterizations are over-generalizations, to some degree - obviously lots of different types of people go to every medical school - just wondering if any current or former students have any input here)

Thank you very much in advance!
Overall I think our energy is very relaxed throughout the class with a good mixture of passions and personalities. The way our curriculum is designed, with the 1 year preclinical (P/F), and the M3/M4 years very open to individual interests and projects (via the branches), it allows for a large diversity of student interest without ever feeling like one is overbearing on top of the other. Aside from the occasional gunner (can't escape them), their is really no competitive attitude in my class. The pass fail nature of the curriculum makes it very easy to not care about the ridiculous minutiae of scoring perfectly on one exam compared to a classmate. From the beginning we have been extremely open with sharing resources, study guides, anki decks, in class drives and group chats, as well as having prior classes share their resources as well.

With UMich's class size being on the larger side (~180) people definitely find their niche (clique if you will). However, from what I have experienced, and talking to many class mates, if there is something you are interested in, chances are there are other students here with similar interests, potentially student orgs/groups related to that, and it is very easy to find like-minded individuals. On the flip side, major downside of such a large class is it isn't really feasible to know everyone, especially since we get pushed into the wards after M1 year. Nonetheless, if you're okay not knowing everyone, than it shouldn't be a big deal.

Bruh, I read the past sdn threads for this school and have yet to see someone get an II whose application was complete in September or October me with a complete date of 10/6 lol....should I be worried?

Bruh, I read the past sdn threads for this school and have yet to see someone get an II whose application was complete in September or October me with a complete date of 10/6 lol....should I be worried?

You can look at their official snapshot on the website but yeah, usually past August you're just throwing money away. October? You'd probably need to cure cancer.

did you ask to be considered for MD only? I'm feeling super bummed but idk if its worth to ask to be considered or if it'll just mean getting an R twice :-(
I asked to be considered because I didn't see a downside. I think it is incredibly unlikely I get an MD II, however, given that its November.

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan is getting dominated by Wisconsin rn (and the refs) because they didn’t give me an II

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I am doing some HEAVY manifesting rn in preparation for tomorrow. Also, I'm a COVID Investigator for UM and WCHD and if UMMS doesn't give me an II tomorrow I'm telling all my COVID positive students that the medical school is where they should go and quarantine :rage:

(100% Kidding- Don't come for me)

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Are October interviewees expecting to hear back this week?
At my interview they said to expect to hear by Thanksgiving, but I am hoping it will be this week (more along the "before the 20th of the next month" timeline they try to stick to)

II just now I am freaking out omg I am shocked!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Thanksgiving is here this year -- no Michigan Monday to fear!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
October interviewees - any update? Expecting to hear this week?

A!!!!! First one I am so excited!!

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Just got the A!! It's a Thanksgiving miracle!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
so much for no michigan monday

• Hmm
Is anyone aware of what interview date they are up to now? Just realized that this year has 18 interview days vs. last year's 14. Also, if they stick to the trends of prior years, they began extending II's to mostly IS students from December onward. That's probably different this year considering they still have ~170 II's left to extend but here's to my fellow Michiganders; hopefully, we will be blessed in the upcoming weeks. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the A!!! So exciting. Go Blue!

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Has anyone done the math to figure out potentially how many IS IIs are remaining? I wonder if the whole "IS get interviews late in the cycle" rule is not applicable in the age of COVID.

Has anyone done the math to figure out potentially how many IS IIs are remaining? I wonder if the whole "IS get interviews late in the cycle" rule is not applicable in the age of COVID.
It actually doesn't seem possible, unfortunate for my neurotic brain. Additionally, the sum of all the IIs sent out as stated on the Twitter page does not equal the number of invites listed on their tracker.

Any possibility of OOS love?

• Care
Reactions: 12 users