2020-2021 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree 100% ^^ the interview was very enjoyable and comfortable. Loved the faculty, CCOM would be a dream come true. Fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone else :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My interview was this morning, too! I agree they were great. I have appreciated their responsiveness, transparency, and accessibility throughout this process, and my interview experience confirmed my expectations that the school is welcoming and student-centered. My interviewers were supportive and nothing tricky.

what is the schedule for interview day?They said they would send out more info but I would love to know what to expect!

what is the schedule for interview day?They said they would send out more info but I would love to know what to expect!
We began as a whole group for introductions at 8:15am (CST,) then between 9-11:45am there were individual time slots, so you are either interviewing or on a break, then at 11:50am we regrouped for an hour to hear from a dean. It was all very chill and easy to navigate. I think I got my schedule on Monday, so about 48 hours before the interview day.

Reactions: 2 users
From looking at past years' threads, this isn't new. The first round of interviews only go out to those with 507+. Those they like but are under a 507 get an interview waitlist. Those they don't like, both high and low MCAT, get outright rejections. After they exhaust the 507+ crowd, those on the interview waitlist get II. So, it seem like the interview waitlist is a "we like you, but we're going to prioritize the higher MCAT score applicants first."

Just my observations based on looking through past threads.
I submitted it in early July and still haven't heard anything. Stats 518/3.91, international student. I'd rather get rejections than nothing, at least that way I know I should prepare for another career path...

I submitted it in early July and still haven't heard anything. Stats 518/3.91, international student. I'd rather get rejections than nothing, at least that way I know I should prepare for another career path...
It's not even October yet and you have 90th percentile stats. Relax man

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
What does that mean?

from my understanding, some DO schools are apprehensive handing out As to applicants they perceive are almost guaranteed stat wise to get into a MD school.

And makes some sense. If you have Limited interview spots, why hand them all to applicants least likely to want to go to your school.

from my understanding, some DO schools are apprehensive handing out As to applicants they perceive are almost guaranteed stat wise to get into a MD school.
Yeah probably. All things considered, med schools don't ONLY look at MCAT and GPA. If OP doesn't have much volunteering, leadership, clinical, or research experience then it's unlikely that they'll be able to get in only based on stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah probably. All things considered, med schools don't ONLY look at MCAT and GPA. If OP doesn't have much volunteering, leadership, clinical, or research experience then it's unlikely that they'll be able to get in only based on stats.

Im not so sure. Yeah they do consider that once you get to the interview phase.

But before, the best way to sort through applicants is Gpa and MCAT.

Every school I’ve applied to has stated during their info session that they are being flooded with applications this year. So I strongly believe that gpa and mcat are in play more this year than ever.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not even October yet and you have 90th percentile stats. Relax man
My visa ends next year so I’m almost out of time...and I wish they’re not doing much yield protection...

Hey guys, I am a first year here at CCOM. I actually applied to medical school three times and took the MCAT twice. I also spent ALOT of time on student doctor network doing exactly what you guys are doing now. It was quite the grind but I am very happy to be where I am now, and I would love to be helpful to you all in anyway that I can!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hi!! For people who have already interviewed:
After the welcome session at 8 am, do we sign out of zoom until our scheduled Interview time or do we stay on and converse with each other/ students and faculty?
Thanks!

Hi!! For people who have already interviewed:
After the welcome session at 8 am, do we sign out of zoom until our scheduled Interview time or do we stay on and converse with each other/ students and faculty?
Thanks!
You sign out. I was last so I had a long break. Then you sign back in at your appointment time. There is only one zoom link, and then from there you get put in a breakout room.

Hey guys, I am a first year here at CCOM. I actually applied to medical school three times and took the MCAT twice. I also spent ALOT of time on student doctor network doing exactly what you guys are doing now. It was quite the grind but I am very happy to be where I am now, and I would love to be helpful to you all in anyway that I can!
Hey, thank you so much for offering your advice. Would you be able to answer a couple questions regarding community service at CCOM? I'm interested in learning more about the school prior to my interview. What kind of community work does CCOM aim to do in their community at Downers Grove? What are the underserved populations in the area? I couldn't find too much information about specific community programs on the website and I would love to learn more. I have a specific interest in mentoring underprivileged youth in case theres anything similar to that. Feel free to reply here for PM me. Thanks!

My visa ends next year so I’m almost out of time...and I wish they’re not doing much yield protection...
3.85/3.74/516 applicant here, interviewing later this morning. Yield protection is not a thing here, but I did get rejected from RVUCOM already, and haven't heard a peep from some other schools. I suspect yield protection might have had something to do with that. CCOM seems pretty interested in high stats applicants, and with their experience, location, and established reputation in Chicago, who could blame them?

Submitted in late July and haven't heard back. does anyone know how they hand out interviews in terms of dates? been seeing people who submitted in august get invites before those in june

Submitted in late July and haven't heard back. does anyone know how they hand out interviews in terms of dates? been seeing people who submitted in august get invites before those in june

Compared to AZCOM, I think CCOM has sent less IIs out so far based on activity in the threads. Early days

Just interviewed here yesterday and am absolutely stunned by how much I love this school. I am very willing to uproot myself from Texas if they'll have me!

Reactions: 4 users
I was complete the first week of August and haven't heard back either. Seems they're taking things much slower - reasonably with everything going on.

have they handed out any straight rejections yet? or will they probably stay silent
stats: 5.8/511 OOS

When does everyone think we’ll hear back? Interviewed this morning and already can’t wait for a decision!!!!

Can I submit an LoR after submitting my secondary?
I have a MD letter already but just waiting on a DO letter.

It will be okay. Fellow international here, graduating this December, and my stats are lower than you - 516/3.5. I felt exactly the same way you have earlier (especially after U Sydney auto-rejected all of us who are not in Australia). Then that afternoon I got my first II (though not from CCOM) and that made my day. With your stats you are bound to get in somewhere with properly written essays and adequate EC. It is going to be okay.

Hey guys! :) I am a Canadian applicant, I was complete at this school late July and have not heard back. Stats: 3.8 GPA, 510 MCAT. Is there hope?

Is the second prompt, kind of a diversity essay?

"Why should CCOM accept you into this year’s class? "

Does anyone know when they typically begin considering applications below the 507 screen for an II?

Does anyone know when they typically begin considering applications below the 507 screen for an II?

End of year to beginning of next year based on past years' threads.

Does anyone know if they accept update letters and if so, where would we submit a letter in the portal.

Complete 07/24, but haven't heard anything yet.

Does anyone know if they accept update letters and if so, where would we submit a letter in the portal.

Complete 07/24, but haven't heard anything yet.
Update letters and thank you letters are highly encouraged by Adcom here. You can email your letter to [email protected]
Hey I have a 505 and interviewed here not too long ago.

My portal changed today to have accepted students checklist and matriculation agreement interviewed the first day... anybody else have portal change? Hopefully it’s true!

Did anyone hear back for an II here in a while? Feel like its been a minute since they sent out some haha

ACCEPTED ON PORTAL !!! OMG I AM CRYING AT MY DESK AT WORK

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Oh

Oh dear! I interviewed two weeks ago and didn't send a thank you email. Am I out? I really loved the school!
I didn't send one and I just got accepted! woot!

Edited: Just wanted to share that I was not satisfied with my interview performance. I was nervous, rambled a lot, and occasionally couldn't find the words to explain my thought. I actually think I did better with VITA than my interview at Midwestern. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is you don't have to be perfect to get accepted. Good luck to those who are interviewing in the future

My portal changed today to have accepted students checklist and matriculation agreement interviewed the first day... anybody else have portal change? Hopefully it’s true!

Congrats bud!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
ACCEPTED via portal as well! Like someone else said, I didn't send a thank you letter/email so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Congrats to everyone else who got the A! Good luck to those of you who are still waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users