2020-2021 Midwestern University (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks also they are not looking at mcats this year right?
I believe AZCOM is. I don’t know many people with an MCAT of 506 and below who were given an II early on. Most were placed on hold and likely still are until later this cycle. So, I would argue MCAT is a factor still IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone apply to the MPH/DO dual degree program at AZCOM? If so, has anyone heard any news yet or might know what the timeline is?

Did anyone apply to the MPH/DO dual degree program at AZCOM? If so, has anyone heard any news yet or might know what the timeline is?
I was thinking about it but I was wondering what are the benefits/possibilities for someone to do a MPH/do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else complete mid Sept and not heard back?

Reactions: 1 users
I know it's late in the cycle but I'm a first year and down to answer questions -- school during covid, program stuff, arizona stuff. SDN can be awful but the nice people helped me a lot during my process. So hit me up about whatever (especially if you're on the fence).
also, yes, tuition does suck but the campus and program are great in my biased opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
I know it's late in the cycle but I'm a first year and down to answer questions -- school during covid, program stuff, arizona stuff. SDN can be awful but the nice people helped me a lot during my process. So hit me up about whatever (especially if you're on the fence).
also, yes, tuition does suck but the campus and program are great in my biased opinion.

Hey! So I just recently paid the deposit, and am very excited about going here. One quick question I have though, is how do you like the lecture only teaching style? Do you wish that there was a little PBL thrown in with lecture? Also, others have spoke about how they dislike the frequent exams, how do you feel about them?

Thank you!

Hey! So I just recently paid the deposit, and am very excited about going here. One quick question I have though, is how do you like the lecture only teaching style? Do you wish that there was a little PBL thrown in with lecture? Also, others have spoke about how they dislike the frequent exams, how do you feel about them?

Thank you!
I chose AZCOM because of my interview day, it just seemed like the right fit for me compared to other schools. I felt at home on the campus and I'm happy with my choice.
The lecture style is fine and it's what I was familiar with. I've never had much PBL so I can't compare too much. All my classes thus far do a good job of adding a bunch of clinical applications/cases throughout lectures and as supplement learning stuff and many of the classes have workshops which are more problem based so there is a little variety.
Also covid has made it so they webex every lecture which is nice because I can stay current without leaving my house (previous years had a delay for uploading lecture videos if you didn't go). Hoping that stays a thing once restrictions are lifted.
The testing is kind of gnarly. We really hit the ground running. But I've learned to adjust (I was out of school for 4 years prior) and it wasn't so bad after like week 3. I feel like it really keeps me on top of things and is prepping me for studying for boards. Like with any school (PBL or not) as long as you don't fall behind, you'll be okay and I feel like having a bunch tests helps with stopping stuff from moving to the back burners.

Any student not from AZ wanna comment why they picked this school? When I interviewed all of the students were from AZ and picked this school to stay close to home
Before I begin, just know that I'm still in the app cycle and have received a few acceptances, with AZCOM being my top choice. Also, I'm not from AZ.

I picked AZCOM because of the competitive match list and the positive interview day experience I had. There wasn't much to go off for this decision other than location, curriculum, match list, and other things I've heard through word of mouth. I think Glendale is a prime location, not too far from popular cities (Scottsdale, Phoenix) and nature but not dead in the center of it all either so you can live and study in peace. Curriculum wise, I've heard that it is quite strenuous and involves frequent testing, but I'm all for it if it's going to help me do better on boards. I will definitely need to get used to it once school begins. For match list, students here seem to match into prestigious residencies and specialize more than many of the other DOs, but I'm sure this also has to do with the rigorous curriculum and preparation. My guess would also be that some of the expensive tuition goes towards developing the program and making connections which works in the students favor for residency. Finally, I've also heard that MWU itself has a prestigious name and is pretty well established. Thinking more about it, the thing that sets DO and MD schools apart other than the core principles is that MDs have been around longer. This gives MDs the advantage of having more connections and resources. Even though DOs and MDs are both great doctors, DO students probably have to work a bit more to match into a competitive residency, although this seems to be narrowing. MWU itself has been around for quite a long time(1900, 1995; yes, there are other DOs even older) thus it probably has quite a few resources. It also gives off this impression if you look at the campus (size and quality) and compare it to some of the other DOs. Again, I don't think there is a real ranking for DO schools, so there is no real way of knowing which school is better, but this is just my two cents after doing some research. Try to find things that cater to you when deciding schools.

If there are any AZCOM alumni or students who can comment/confirm this, please do so!

Before I begin, just know that I'm still in the app cycle and have received a few acceptances, with AZCOM being my top choice. Also, I'm not from AZ.

I picked AZCOM because of the competitive match list and the positive interview day experience I had. There wasn't much to go off for this decision other than location, curriculum, match list, and other things I've heard through word of mouth. I think Glendale is a prime location, not too far from popular cities (Scottsdale, Phoenix) and nature but not dead in the center of it all either so you can live and study in peace. Curriculum wise, I've heard that it is quite strenuous and involves frequent testing, but I'm all for it if it's going to help me do better on boards. I will definitely need to get used to it once school begins. For match list, students here seem to match into prestigious residencies and specialize more than many of the other DOs, but I'm sure this also has to do with the rigorous curriculum and preparation. My guess would also be that some of the expensive tuition goes towards developing the program and making connections which works in the students favor for residency. Finally, I've also heard that MWU itself has a prestigious name and is pretty well established. Thinking more about it, the thing that sets DO and MD schools apart other than the core principles is that MDs have been around longer. This gives MDs the advantage of having more connections and resources. Even though DOs and MDs are both great doctors, DO students probably have to work a bit more to match into a competitive residency, although this seems to be narrowing. MWU itself has been around for quite a long time(1900, 1995; yes, there are other DOs even older) thus it probably has quite a few resources. It also gives off this impression if you look at the campus (size and quality) and compare it to some of the other DOs. Again, I don't think there is a real ranking for DO schools, so there is no real way of knowing which school is better, but this is just my two cents after doing some research. Try to find things that cater to you when deciding schools.

If there are any AZCOM alumni or students who can comment/confirm this, please do so!
Yeah I agree. But I will add that while CCOM and AZCOM fall under the MWU umbrella they are two distinct schools so there is minimal overlap. That being said, I think saying you came from MWU out in the workforce/applying for residencies is going to have a decent amount credit attached to it. Plus AZCOM has done a pretty good job of establishing itself in the west coast/rocky mountain area.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I agree. But I will add that while CCOM and AZCOM fall under the MWU umbrella they are two distinct schools so there is minimal overlap. That being said, I think saying you came from MWU out in the workforce/applying for residencies is going to have a decent amount credit attached to it. Plus AZCOM has done a pretty good job of establishing itself in the west coast/rocky mountain area.
What makes CCOM and AZCOM different?

Just curious, through what sources have you learned that AZCOM is well-established in the west coast/rocky mountain area? I'm trying to find as much as I can about the school because there isn't much to go off of.

II earlier today! They truly do not take breaks haha

Just curious, through what sources have you learned that AZCOM is well-established in the west coast/rocky mountain area? I'm trying to find as much as I can about the school because there isn't much to go off of.

+1
Also, I couldn't find their 2020 match list. Does anyone have that data or do they keep it confidential??

Members don't see this ad :)
+1
Also, I couldn't find their 2020 match list. Does anyone have that data or do they keep it confidential??
I'm a first year and I have access: I don't know if I'm allowed to release the full list but I'll give you the notable matches:

Anesthesia: 11 : Notable Places: Cleveland Clinic, Oregon H&S, University of Washington, UT-Houston, U of A
Radiology: 6:
Derm: 4:
Radiation Onc: 1
Interventional Rads: 1: Baylor
EM: 21
Gen Surg: 11
Ortho: 3

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
One thing I really like about AZCOM is the ultrasound curriculum. We pretty much have ultrasound exposure every 2 weeks. Many MD schools don't even have it. Incredibly helpful and impressive on rotations, especially if you want to go EM. Some 4th years even told me they are better than some of the residents at ultrasound because of it

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who has interviewed, how long was the actual interview?

does azcom accept update letters? I was placed on the interview waitlist early November and was wondering if I should send in a update about my current job

Is the interview open or closed file? Can they see our AACOMAS activities?
Also is any one who has already interviewed willing to DM me? Just want to get an idea how the interview day is like. 🥺🥺🥺 Thanks in advance!!!

Is the interview open or closed file? Can they see our AACOMAS activities?
Also is any one who has already interviewed willing to DM me? Just want to get an idea how the interview day is like. 🥺🥺🥺 Thanks in advance!!!
They have the CV/Resume you send on your secondary

hi everyone! i have an upcoming interview & would appreciate any feedback on how to prep for it. thank you SO much in advance :)

Just canceled my January interview (invited in December), as I was accepted to their sister program in Chicago. I hope my interview spot goes to one of you!!!!

• Love
Does anyone know how much access interviewers have on the application? I applied another program at MWU AZ and I just want to know if they can see it...

Does anyone know how much access interviewers have on the application? I applied another program at MWU AZ and I just want to know if they can see it...
IMO, if you have submitted the application, the answer to that question no longer matters. You just need to ace the interview (and that's the only thing you can do at this point).

For those who are accepted and planning to attend, have are you all figuring out roommates?

Quick question - for those that have interviewed already, how long is the actual day bc in the email they said to block off 7:45-2 but when they sent out the schedule, they only have things happening until 1:15. Thanks in advance!

Quick question - for those that have interviewed already, how long is the actual day bc in the email they said to block off 7:45-2 but when they sent out the schedule, they only have things happening until 1:15. Thanks in advance!

So there’s probably only a couple hours total where you need to be at the computer - at the beginning of the day, during your interview slot, and during the med student panel. HOWEVER, in my group there were a couple med students hanging around to answer questions so lots of people stayed at the computer and we chatted with the med students. It was like a less formal version of a med student panel. Pretty helpful really.

Does anyone know when (or if) they start pulling off the interview waitlist?

Just got waitlisted for an interview here. Does anyone know if there’s any movement from the waitlist?

Interviewed yesterday and liked this school a lot! The interview was VERY conversational, to the point where I didn't get to talk about a few things I wanted to talk about as far as my ECs.

What the typical amount of time they take to get back to you on a decision? I see some people hearing back the week of their interview

Last edited:
You may see a change in the applicant portal as early as Friday. Official acceptance could come as early as next Monday.

You may see a change in the applicant portal as early as Friday. Official acceptance could come as early as next Monday.
Hopefully we hear back that quickly! I interviewed Monday and am anxiously hoping for a quick turn around like the other applicants in this thread

Just got waitlisted for an interview here. Does anyone know if there’s any movement from the waitlist?
I was put on the pre-interview hold since late August and have not heard back since.

Got an Interview (booked Feb 15th-earliest date available) two days ago. Stats: 3.87, 512.

Anyone placed on pre-interview waitlist eventually get an interview invite?

Is there a class fb page and if so, what is the name of it?

Would it be unwise to send an update letter (aka a letter of desperation) if I received a pre-II hold in October?

Really loved this school...unfortunately could simply not afford it :( i thought there would be more scholarships...

• Sad
To the people who received acceptance calls, do you remember what the area code was? My heart skips a beat every time I get a call from a 623 #

To the people who received acceptance calls, do you remember what the area code was? My heart skips a beat every time I get a call from a 623 #
I was accepted in November and I never got a call--just the email and a few days later the physical letter in mail!

I was accepted in November and I never got a call--just the email and a few days later the physical letter in mail!
Congrats on the acceptance! How long after the interview did you hear about your admission?