2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else not heard yet after December interview? I was 12/11 and nothing...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed 1/7 and I heard back yesterday about being waitlisted. In the email they sent, they said we will know later in the cycle if we are rejected, accepted, or placed on the ranked alternate list. Does anyone have an idea on how the ranked alternate list works?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 1/7 and I heard back yesterday about being waitlisted. In the email they sent, they said we will know later in the cycle if we are rejected, accepted, or placed on the ranked alternate list. Does anyone have an idea on how the ranked alternate list works?
wait, you already heard back for twin cities?? this is intriguing to say the least, if true.

Reactions: 1 user
wait, you already heard back for twin cities?? this is intriguing to say the least, if true.
seems like that means they're gonna start cranking through decisions a lot faster towards the end of the cycle.

Is anyone else getting the sense that their process is no longer "rolling admissions"? Or am I just crazy? lol They are providing updates out of order and it no longer feels "first come first served."

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else getting the sense that their process is no longer "rolling admissions"? Or am I just crazy? lol They are providing updates out of order and it no longer feels "first come first served."
It still seems rolling to me. They’ve sent out lots of Rs and WLs for the rest of the December dates (and the first January date) it seems, and it looks like As for those dates might be following.

Not sure what’s going on with the pre-II screening though.

im honestly still confused about the WL Decision. does that mean we've been through the "AEC" committee process that they outlined on their site? also does anybody know how many WL candidates they take and how many ppl have historically been WL'd. From what i understand getting on the WL essentially means just a delayed decision until you're on the alternate list.?

• Hmm
Per the below post, seems like typical waitlist movement is 30-70 people.

2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

Being waitlisted should mean the decision was approved by the AEC from my understanding.

Looking through past years, UMN has given some As to waitlisted candidates prior to making the ranked waitlist (or at least, before it was publicly announced). The above post seems to echo that - if they get >60 withdrawals before April 30th, they will give some As out to waitlisted individuals.

Otherwise, once they come out with the ranked waitlist in May, it seems only candidates who make that get in if they are in the top 30-70. I’m unsure how many make the ranked waitlist - probably about a 100 I’m assuming?

This year will be hard to call. My guess is their either will be minimal waitlist movement this year, or substantially more than usual.

Last edited:
i anticipate larger WL movement this year due to more people apply to a greater number of schools. this year, i believe a more concentrated applicant pool has been accepted to many med schools (aka lots of the same people got lots of acceptances). once these individuals are forced to narrow down their choices (april 15 and april 30), i anticipate schools will be surprised by how few people chose their school (compared to typical years), making them pull more people from the waitlist. so perhaps, it'll be a great year for WL applicants.

but this is all speculation so take it with a grain of salt :)

i anticipate larger WL movement this year due to more people apply to a greater number of schools. this year, i believe a more concentrated applicant pool has been accepted to many med schools (aka lots of the same people got lots of acceptances). once these individuals are forced to narrow down their choices (april 15 and april 30), i anticipate schools will be surprised by how few people chose their school (compared to typical years), making them pull more people from the waitlist. so perhaps, it'll be a great year for WL applicants.

I agree with your speculation just based off my interview day! I talked to about a fourth of the applicants who interviewed with me and they have already been accepted to other schools and are likely choosing those institutions over Minnesota for a number of reasons. This is obviously a small subset of the larger pool of applicants but just my experience.

i really hope this is true! but so far everything that we felt would be different about this cycle, has actually been just about the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel ya.. and im even IS so thought Id have a chance lol...

Im very thankful to have a DO acceptance, and on the WL at duluth, but that means unfortunately its peace out to TC ha
I’m in the same boat. I have one DO acceptance but praying the U gets back to me by May. I interviewed earlier this week.

There has not been any interview invites since late February, maybe a mass rejection is coming soon for Pre-II...

• Hmm
May the odds be ever in our favor next week 😬

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Are we due for a batch of decisions this week? I'm starting to lose track of which date we are on.. Also, good luck to everyone still waiting. I know it's hard, but hopefully we hear good news soon!

Are we due for a batch of decisions this week? I'm starting to lose track of which date we are on.. Also, good luck to everyone still waiting. I know it's hard, but hopefully we hear good news soon!
I wasn't expecting news last week since they've typically been releasing decisions every 2 weeks and gave out decisions on 3/1 so I thought today (3/15) would be around the time of the next decision release, but several people heard back last week on 3/10-3/11, so maybe they are switching things up to get caught up. Hopefully the rest of the December interviewees hear back this week!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone hear anything today? So, so tired of waiting. 😭

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone from 12/17 get an A? I hope the class isn’t full and they’re just waiting for spots to open up

Did anyone from 12/17 get an A? I hope the class isn’t full and they’re just waiting for spots to open up
I feel like they would/will send an email when the class seats are full. I don't know this for sure, but just based on their previous communication and openness about the possibility of other candidates interviewing for a wait-list spot, I feel like they will let us all know.

So happy to hear about new acceptances!! I hope to see you guys in the fall =). I just moved in to my campus apartment (my old lease ended in March, figured might as well settle in early), and it's so exciting to see people walking around in UMN scrubs!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Accepted 12/17 interview oos, so excited!!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I GOT THE CALL!!! 12/10 interview, IS. I AM SO HAPPYYYY 😭😭

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 25 users
Congrats to all the December peeps for getting those As!!! Does anyone know how many people have confirmed to attend not just the number of As sent out?

has anyone received any information about next steps like how to accept the offer/deposits?

Nope no email at all yet

Based on my experience, you should get an email in the next few days with instructions. You'll have to go back to the application portal, read like 5 documents, and click that you have read those documents and either "Accept" or "Decline" the offer of admission. You'll then get an email confirming your acceptance of your acceptance.

About a week later I had the option to use the AAMC Choose Your Medical School Tool and request the background check.

The first acceptance email also contains a link to a document on google drive with a lot of the things you need to get done and when they need to get done by.

Based on my experience, you should get an email in the next few days with instructions. You'll have to go back to the application portal, read like 5 documents, and click that you have read those documents and either "Accept" or "Decline" the offer of admission. You'll then get an email confirming your acceptance of your acceptance.

About a week later I had the option to use the AAMC Choose Your Medical School Tool and request the background check.

The first acceptance email also contains a link to a document on google drive with a lot of the things you need to get done and when they need to get done by.
Perfect- thank you!

Congrats to everyone who got the call today and those that haven't HANG IN THERE.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users