2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey beautiful people, sharing my notes from Day 2:

Admissions cycle: They are currently on-pause with acceptance offers but will continue making decisions regarding applications (i.e., your applications will still be reviewed and a decision made, it will just likely not be communicated yet) and will start to make more offers of acceptance for sure around April 30th. They could start making offers sooner than that date as they anticipate people applied to more schools than usual, due to virtual interviews. Additionally, medical school staff have been asked to remain working at home until August, but if they open the campus up, they will email us should we desire to visit the campus prior to orientation. My general impression was that Crystal seemed optimistic about their ability to offer more slots in April. Ultimately, their goal is to fill the class by July 1st.

Curriculum: Lectures are recorded and the medical students have more flexibility than you realize; the culture is collaborative, not competitive, due to the Pass/Fail system, for example, students will post study guides they created prior to exams

Financial Aid / Scholarship Advice: 1) Complete your FAFSA, add UMMS as one of your schools; 2) Consider student jobs/research assistantships as they pay for part of your tuition (anywhere from 25%-100%) and also provide a stipend, there are positions already posted and they recommend students start networking now; 3) Once you are accepted, you can ask about your financial aid qualifications and apply for anything available at the University; 4) The admissions office does award full rides, 50% (2 years), and smaller scholarships and these are "rolling awards" that start now and will likely end by July 1st, there's a specific criteria for each of these awards (not necessarily just based on merit) as they are based on the donors recommendation; 5) The financial aid office has their own process for scholarships, you can reach out to them directly about those awards

I hope this is helpful and feel free to message me if you have anymore questions!
Thanks for taking the time to type this up! You’re awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
According to the financial aid timeline in the accepted students handbook, we will get an estimate on financial aid in early April. I assume scholarship decisions will be told then also- can anyone confirm or deny this? This plays a huge part in decision making so I hope we find out soon!

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
According to the financial aid timeline in the accepted students handbook, we will get an estimate on financial aid in early April. I assume scholarship decisions will be told then also- can anyone confirm or deny this? This plays a huge part in decision making so I hope we find out soon!
At an accepted student event Wednesday Diane said financial aid letters would likely be out the first week of April. I can't imagine how scholarship decisions wouldn't be out by then as well, I know some went out as early as January.

Members don't see this ad :)
At an accepted student event Wednesday Diane said financial aid letters would likely be out the first week of April. I can't imagine how scholarship decisions wouldn't be out by then as well, I know some went out as early as January.
Do you think they will be out by then for folks who were recently accepted?

Okay thank you!!

Admissions cycle: They are currently on-pause with acceptance offers but will continue making decisions regarding applications (i.e., your applications will still be reviewed and a decision made, it will just likely not be communicated yet) and will start to make more offers of acceptance for sure around April 30th. They could start making offers sooner than that date as they anticipate people applied to more schools than usual, due to virtual interviews. Additionally, medical school staff have been asked to remain working at home until August, but if they open the campus up, they will email us should we desire to visit the campus prior to orientation. My general impression was that Crystal seemed optimistic about their ability to offer more slots in April. Ultimately, their goal is to fill the class by July 1st.

Curriculum: Lectures are recorded and the medical students have more flexibility than you realize; the culture is collaborative, not competitive, due to the Pass/Fail system, for example, students will post study guides they created prior to exams

Financial Aid / Scholarship Advice: 1) Complete your FAFSA, add UMMS as one of your schools; 2) Consider student jobs/research assistantships as they pay for part of your tuition (anywhere from 25%-100%) and also provide a stipend, there are positions already posted and they recommend students start networking now; 3) Once you are accepted, you can ask about your financial aid qualifications and apply for anything available at the University; 4) The admissions office does award full rides, 50% (2 years), and smaller scholarships and these are "rolling awards" that start now and will likely end by July 1st, there's a specific criteria for each of these awards (not necessarily just based on merit) as they are based on the donors recommendation; 5) The financial aid office has their own process for scholarships, you can reach out to them directly about those awards

I hope this is helpful and feel free to message me if you have anymore questions!
thank you so much for this!! im anxiously waiting news after a feb interview. i guess i feel better waiting longer for a potential A as opposed to earlier for a WL. as unfortunate as it is for UMN to make applicants wait upwards of 12 weeks, im really impressed by their transparency when questioned! this is quickly becoming my top school 🥺

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
thank you so much for this!! im anxiously waiting news after a feb interview. i guess i feel better waiting longer for a potential A as opposed to earlier for a WL. as unfortunate as it is for UMN to make applicants wait upwards of 12 weeks, im really impressed by their transparency when questioned! this is quickly becoming my top school 🥺
I hear you, the wait is tough! I interviewed in March so it will be a while for me. I'm hoping things start to accelerate in April when people have to start choosing a school.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just got the WL email. I interviewed 1/12. It says we will be notified of acceptance/placement on ranked WL/rejection by May 15th

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Got the waitlist email as well. Interviewed 01/07.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I’d share this graphic from the financial aid presentation today, very cool to see how much aid they give out!

Attachments

• A066AAFB-515A-41D2-9A8C-009F2A5589D3.jpeg
    A066AAFB-515A-41D2-9A8C-009F2A5589D3.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone, while we are waiting does anyone know if anyone got accepted without/low MCAT score?

That's a no from me. I don't think they got past 01/07 peeps before UMN did their pause until 04/30
I believe there was a 1/12 post on this forum also. Maybe they got halfway through January? It's difficult to tell since SDN represents a small subset of applicants.

At my undergraduate (UMD) last year I attended an Adcom Q&A session. Unfortunately (if I recall correctly), they screen under 500 and 3.0. But who knows with this cycle though, may be different.

At my undergraduate (UMD) last year I attended an Adcom Q&A session. Unfortunately (if I recall correctly), they screen under 500 and 3.0. But who knows with this cycle though, may be different.
@Ris246 was already accepted! I believe the minimum in other cycles is a 499.

Reactions: 3 users
No the minimum was a 499 for Twin Cities in previous years and because of covid this cycle, no one was screened out by mcat scores. It was taken into consideration post interview.

I might have missed some previously posted info but they're on pause until 4/30?

I might have missed some previously posted info but they're on pause until 4/30?
They won't give out another batch of As until after 4/30 and a bunch of people withdraw, but I thought they were still giving out Rs and WLs.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Newbie here; in-state applicant for Duluth and received my WL email today stating I'm in the middle section of the "acceptable" list but they don't think they'll be able to offer me a spot. Is anyone else in this boat?

Hi! Newbie here; in-state applicant for Duluth and received my WL email today stating I'm in the middle section of the "acceptable" list but they don't think they'll be able to offer me a spot. Is anyone else in this boat?
Yes, hoping that doesn’t put me in the same situation at TC

Has anyone who interviewed in mid/late Jan received a waitlist email yet? I interviewed in late Feb, but just trying to guestimate when I might get an email (waitlist or rejection at this point) lol. :)

Yes, hoping that doesn’t put me in the same situation at TC
TC and Duluth have separate adcoms so a decision at one is completely independent from the other.

Has anyone who interviewed in mid/late Jan received a waitlist email yet? I interviewed in late Feb, but just trying to guestimate when I might get an email (waitlist or rejection at this point) lol. :)
Hey there; I interviewed on 1/12 and got the waitlist email today so you should be soon!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey y'all! Anyone received their financial aid information yet?

Hi! I Interviewed 1/26 and still haven't heard anything.

I thought they had the same “deciding” committee?
There are three committees: TC Admissions, Duluth Admissions, and the shared Admissions Executive Committee (AEC). TC and Duluth admissions committees are separate from each other make the actual decisions on A/WL/R. The AEC just approves or rejects the TC or Duluth admissions committee decision.

Decisions at one campus should not affect decisions at another. If you got waitlisted at Duluth, there is likely no reason that the AEC would reject an A for you at TC since a waitlist position can be thought of as a "We'd take you if we had the room." The AEC has already determined that you are fine to be admitted if enough room opens up.

Reactions: 4 users
There are three committees: TC Admissions, Duluth Admissions, and the shared Admissions Executive Committee (AEC). TC and Duluth admissions committees are separate from each other make the actual decisions on A/WL/R. The AEC just approves or rejects the TC or Duluth admissions committee decision.

Decisions at one campus should not affect decisions at another. If you got waitlisted at Duluth, there is likely no reason that the AEC would reject an A for you at TC since a waitlist position can be thought of as a "We'd take you if we had the room." The AEC has already determined that you are fine to be admitted if enough room opens up.
Gotcha, thank you for the info!

PSA FOR 2022:

I realize it's a wild year, but I'm frustrated with my experience applying here because I was rejected without a review of my application. While I think they did the right thing by refunding my application fee, I would think twice about applying to a school that is not going to review all applications. I lived here for 2 decades before moving out of the state, but I am OOS. I applied later than I would have liked due to MCAT delays, but it gave me a very disappointed feeling knowing that I sat here waiting on results for months before they did this. If anything, let this be your motivation for higher scores and better grades!

• Care
PSA FOR 2022:

I realize it's a wild year, but I'm frustrated with my experience applying here because I was rejected without a review of my application. While I think they did the right thing by refunding my application fee, I would think twice about applying to a school that is not going to review all applications. I lived here for 2 decades before moving out of the state, but I am OOS. I applied later than I would have liked due to MCAT delays, but it gave me a very disappointed feeling knowing that I sat here waiting on results for months before they did this. If anything, let this be your motivation for higher scores and better grades!
It really does suck but also know that this is probably true for almost every single medical school in the country. UMN was just transparent and kind enough to refund the fees. See RFU last cycle just telling people they weren't reviewed without a refund. Or think of the schools with over 10k applications. Hell, Tulane won't review you if you aren't complete within the first month of their app cycle opening. Or even NYU where they are developing an AI to review apps. If you are to avoid schools that don't review all apps, unfortunately no school can be applied to in that case.

Reactions: 7 users
PSA FOR 2022:

your frustration is totally valid. if i did not get reviewed I would also be sad. but i think this frustration is exactly why a lot of schools choose to keep their process vague rather than be as transparent as UMN did. I guess they recognize that its a lose-lose for them. whether they're transparent or not, ultimately there will always be people frustrated in a process where demand for seats far exceeds supply. i have this same type of feeling that you're experiencing with at least 5 other schools i've applied to this cycle. unfortunately for me though, I wont be getting my money back from them either. I'd take it as a W that you got your money back, hold your head up high and realize that this was something out of your control. you'll come back stronger next cycle and hopefully no unforeseen circumstances will prevent you from applying earlier. all the best and good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
on a different note, does UMN accept letters of intent?

i interviewed back in feb and i haven't heard back yet but if i get the A from UMN, i will go in a heartbeat. i know they accept an update letter pre-II but what about post-II letter of intent?

thanks in advance :)