2020-2021 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those who got accepted, do you know whether the school provides any technology(laptop, tablet,..etc) for incoming students or whether is there a minimum requirement on the spec of technology?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview this coming Thursday. This will be my first virtual interview, hoping my godawful internet won't clunk out during it...Midwest OOS applicant 3.5, 3.7, 518.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To those who got accepted, do you know whether the school provides any technology(laptop, tablet,..etc) for incoming students or whether is there a minimum requirement on the spec of technology?
In all previous years they've been providing iPads to us for taking exams on and general use. Laptop is your own prerogative.

Lol oh gawsh I sent an email night of 11/13 out of anxiety. Woke up feeling like I made a mistake.
Eh I’m sure it’s not a big deal in their eyes. Worst case they won’t reply and give you an eye roll but it won’t affect your app

did they reply?

Hey everyone! I am a big time lurker on this website and this is my first time posting so be gentle haha! I recently got the A for the OW campus, and want to say congrats to everyone accepted to JB and OW!! (For those who would want to know, I interviewed 10/8, 505 MCAT). I wanted to reach out and ask for some help with housing/campus. Does anyone know if there will be tours/open houses anytime soon? Second, I'm from upstate and am trying to look around for apartments for me, my SO, and my german shepherd. Recommendations on the area would be greatly appreciated!! thanks friends :)

Happy for all of you that got accepted, but as someone who submitted back in October for the secondary, do y'all think I still have a chance for an II?

I'm afraid that since so many of y'all got As that they are wrapping up or something.

I submitted secondary app Aug 17th, and haven't heard anything... anyone recommend reaching out to Admissions?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Completed 9/25 for OW, should I be worried? Anyone else still waiting who submitted around this time, anyone else get an II?

Hey everyone! I am a big time lurker on this website and this is my first time posting so be gentle haha! I recently got the A for the OW campus, and want to say congrats to everyone accepted to JB and OW!! (For those who would want to know, I interviewed 10/8, 505 MCAT). I wanted to reach out and ask for some help with housing/campus. Does anyone know if there will be tours/open houses anytime soon? Second, I'm from upstate and am trying to look around for apartments for me, my SO, and my german shepherd. Recommendations on the area would be greatly appreciated!! thanks friends :)
Congrats, i live kinda local to OW, about 45 mins out. Rent anywhere near campus it insane, 2k plus for a studio in an apartment building. It actually looks like commuting from queens would be cheaper. I think these prices are largely based on people leaving the vity because of covid, and they will hopefully drop a little.

is it bad to call to follow up on our app if we havent heard anything
In my limited experience this cycle it seems places I reached out too responded positively to inquiries. I think it shows you’re genuinely interested in their school and not just shooting from the hip.

Been complete in August and silence since then. I'm hoping for a chance at an II but thinking it's a silent R. Does NYITCOM notify their rejected applicants?

Been complete in August and silence since then. I'm hoping for a chance at an II but thinking it's a silent R. Does NYITCOM notify their rejected applicants?
I think based on previous years they announce a closure to the interview cycle at some point (likely when the class and waitlist are filled). Not sure if that is the signal for rejections, or if they send out individual ones. As long as they are still interviewing, I wouldn't give up. Even if just for waitlist spots early next year, there seems to be historical movement.

For those who have interviewed with the Jonesboro campus, is the interview open or closed file?

I think they are going to ask me why I prefer the Arkansas campus, which they also asked on the secondaries. I have a hard time answering without it sounding too similar to my secondary answer. Would appreciate any answer or advice.

For those who have interviewed with the Jonesboro campus, is the interview open or closed file?

I think they are going to ask me why I prefer the Arkansas campus, which they also asked on the secondaries. I have a hard time answering without it sounding too similar to my secondary answer. Would appreciate any answer or advice.
Mine seemed closed but my interviewer didn’t say for sure. I said basically the same thing as my secondary for why I chose Jonesboro and got accepted so I think you’re good there!

Hey guys
I wanted to ask if a LOI will make an impact and help me get accepted
First of all I have been working for the Red Cross as a volunteer since September and I wanted to update the school on this
I’m not sure to who I should send this letter and whether it is worth the effort
I was interviewed on 10/8 and I get the interview 2 weeks after I submitted my secondary and I thought that was a very good sign
If I don’t get accepted in the next batch it probably means I’m gonna be waitlisted and I’m not looking forward to the pain and depression that follows that process
So I hope anyone can give me an advice about this
Mcat 510 508 overall gpa 3.65 science gpa 3.75
Tons of volunteer and shadowing experience and 120 hours of research as an RA
Non traditional OOS from the Middle East

Mine was definitely open since my interviewer mentioned what I wrote in the secondary and confirmed the fact with me. She asked me to elaborate on it.

For those who have had radio silence (like me), I decided to email. I'll let you know if they say anything. lol. go us.

For those who have had radio silence (like me), I decided to email. I'll let you know if they say anything. lol. go us.
What did you end up saying? I've been playing with the idea of sending another email expressing my interests but I don't know how else to word it at this point lol. My interview was 9/18 and I haven't heard anything :/ kinda losing hope..

What did you end up saying? I've been playing with the idea of sending another email expressing my interests but I don't know how else to word it at this point lol. My interview was 9/18 and I haven't heard anything :/ kinda losing hope..
Hello NYITCOM Admissions,

My name is XXXXX and I am an applicant for the 2020-2021 Medical School cycle. I submitted my secondary application August 17th, 2020 and have not received a “complete email” or any other correspondence. I am inquiring to know if my application is complete or if there is anything that is needed to complete my application. Have a wonderful week and stay safe!

Response:

Thank you for your email. Your file is complete and under review with our Admission Committee

rip to us non-interview invite people.

• Haha
  • Care
For a virtual interview, is it okay if I wear a shirt and tie or should I wear a proper suit? Good luck, everyone!

You really should wear a proper suit in any medical school interview...dress for success!!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know what the weekly class schedule is like at NYITCOM Old Westbury campus?
I dont know if anyone will really be able to answer this. I think this year they changed the curriculum so that there is only one track, no more LBD and DPC tracks. With the pandemic students have not been comming to school as they normally would.

I dont know if anyone will really be able to answer this. I think this year they changed the curriculum so that there is only one track, no more LBD and DPC tracks. With the pandemic students have not been comming to school as they normally would.
If you really want to see what is going on weekly, if you go on the nyitcom website, go to the student resources section and click the AKILA link, you can see what each year is doing each day. From what I can see, it seems the class is broken into groups and each group is doing different things.

I am not sure if the group thing is due to COVID or if it is something they have always done. From what I understand, the DPC and LBC curriculum has been combined in some way for all new incoming years, but I am sure this will be addressed in orientation.

You're invited to the new group 'NYITCOMJB Accepted Students Class of 2025' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe
Link to Jonesboro group me if anyone wants to join!

I have been complete since end of September and I still didn’t hear back :(

Reactions: 2 users
I have been complete since end of September and I still didn’t hear back :(
complete since 6/30 and haven't heard anything back either if it makes you feel better lmao

Reactions: 9 users
complete since 6/30 and haven't heard anything back either if it makes you feel better lmao
If it’s a competition then I think I got ya beat. Complete 6/24 and haven’t heard anything. Sorry to flex on you like tnat

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone heard if some medical schools, including NYIT, are losing funding and will close down in the future? My research mentors were scaring me with that info.

Any current JB campus students who wouldn't mind answering some of my questions? :)

Has anyone heard if some medical schools, including NYIT, are losing funding and will close down in the future? My research mentors were scaring me with that info.
I think that refers to the immense burden higher education institutions have had on them with COVID-19. Your research mentors might be thinking of this article and one similar one in the New York Times. I personally don't think medical schools, especially well established ones like NYIT (and other osteopathic schools that generally make up the "top 5"), will shut down especially as we approach the end of the pandemic next year. Obviously I am just a stranger and random student on the internet who has had no experience learning about the economy so make of that what you will lol.

Interviewed with NYIT-Jonesboro yesterday. Felt pretty good about it. The wait is gonna be very difficult but I'm hoping for the best. From what I'm reading on here, people are receiving an answer ranging from 1-2 months after the interview. Has anyone gotten it sooner?

Also, is there any data on their post-II acceptance rate? Good luck, everyone!

Interviewed with NYIT-Jonesboro yesterday. Felt pretty good about it. The wait is gonna be very difficult but I'm hoping for the best. From what I'm reading on here, people are receiving an answer ranging from 1-2 months after the interview. Has anyone gotten it sooner?

The earliest you will hear back is the middle of december, if you interview in late november it can be less than a month

Hey, congrats on your interview! I also interviewed this week - hopefully we hear back soon-ish. I’m thinking that the holidays might put a kink in things and cause a delay, but we’ll see. I’ve also been wondering what the post-II acceptance rate looks like, if anyone can chime in.

Best of luck to you - maybe we’ll see each other next year!

Hey, congrats on your interview! I also interviewed this week - hopefully we hear back soon-ish. I’m thinking that the holidays might put a kink in things and cause a delay, but we’ll see. I’ve also been wondering what the post-II acceptance rate looks like, if anyone can chime in.

I didn't even factor in the holidays. Good point. My nerves are going to be a wreck.

And best of luck to you too! We can only hope!

Also interviewed this week. Did you feel like the interview was over too fast? I felt like I introduced myself and before I knew it, we were like 5 mins over lol.