2020-2021 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Likely due to the majority of movement being done now. I know the class appears to be full, and housing and financial aid are being finished at this point. Things are being much more concrete, thus not much movement as those accepted are not likely to change schools now. There might be a seat or two that may change, but the majority are committed at this point
That's what I thought, but then I saw movement at OW. I assumed it was full by April actually.

Members don't see this ad.

OW will most likely have more movement than JB b/c it's Long Island and it's uber expensive. We'll probably see most of the movement happen in June. Looks like they do another movement after memorial break based on past threads, so we'll see.

Reactions: 1 users
OW will most likely have more movement than JB b/c it's Long Island and it's uber expensive. We'll probably see most of the movement happen in June. Looks like they do another movement after memorial break based on past threads, so we'll see.
Thank you for giving me some hope lol. After last nights "wave" I'm starting to think I'm done for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I noticed that too that the previous years seemed to have had a lot more waitlist movement during the time frame from March to May :(
Really? I was looking through last years and it seemed like most of the movement happened in the beginning of June? I may be wrong but I’m just trying to be as positive as I can for my mental health 😂

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Really? I was looking through last years and it seemed like most of the movement happened in the beginning of June? I may be wrong but I’m just trying to be as positive as I can for my mental health 😂
I agree - a lot of movement usually happens in June. Unfortunately, I still gotta work on my 2021-2022 AMCAS and AACOMAS applications in the meantime just in case :/

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I was assuming it was lower relative to previous years on SDN but I think it might just be me being too anxious LOL, def taking a toll on le mental health 😫

Got that A on thursday as well, life is good. Best of luck to you fellow waitlisters.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I have few questions, can someone confirm if this is true. Is it all asynchronous lectures, that we watch pre-recorded lectures on our own schedule. Or is this setup temporary because of covid? This feels like some inferior online offshore school with just few contact sessions for labs once or twice a month. I wasn't expecting this, can someone confirm?

• Hmm
I went to their college presentation twice to better understand what their plan in 2021 will be. They will be incorporating a virtual format into their teachings. In essence, you have a professor who teaches a class and you have the ability to watch it online and not be present. This waitlist is giving me too much stress. The set-up is not temporary. They confirmed that they will not deviate from the digital footprint after covid.

I also forgot to add that they will have professors that are cross-campus. So if professor is in JB campus doing a live teaching, you will see him virtually in OW.

Does anyone know where you can find a sample pre-clinical curriculum or schedule? I'm also curious how much time is physically spent in classrooms or labs.

This is what I got to know from current students. It used to be the way like The Gentleman explained, with live teaching in one campus and the other campus watching it virtually. After Covid, it was all asynchronous recorded videos. No synchronous sessions other than office hours. The plan is to continue this in the future so faculty doesn't have to spend too much time hosting live sessions. Labs were once or twice a month for few hours.

I was really interested in the school because of location. I prefer real teaching, not just watching videos. The office hours doesn't count as teaching as it can be derailed easily by one or two students asking some weird things and ending up wasting everyone's time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Per the most recent email from the dean...first years will be on-campus 2 days a week for anatomy, doctoring, and OMM. The student handbook for this upcoming year also regularly alludes to lectures, etc. I agree that I will definitely learn better on my own/at my own pace. But having the option to go in person would be nice.

I have few questions, can someone confirm if this is true. Is it all asynchronous lectures, that we watch pre-recorded lectures on our own schedule. Or is this setup temporary because of covid? This feels like some inferior online offshore school with just few contact sessions for labs once or twice a month. I wasn't expecting this, can someone confirm?
Hi there! I just finished my first year at NYITCOM OW and I am also one of the orientation leaders (OL) for this year. Accepted students are going to be getting emails this week or next from their OL’s, and then weekly zoom sessions will be held to answer any questions you guys have.

In regards to this question, yes, lectures will be asynchronous going forward. Additionally, students will have in person labs 2 days a week on campus. Speaking for most of my class, we loved asynchronous learning because we could watch the lectures before the week even started (they are posted the Thursday before), and were therefore able to have more time to prepare for labs and exams. Professors hold weekly office hours where they will go through practice problems and any questions you will have and are super responsive when it comes to answering emails.

The community at NYITCOM is still very involved and interactive. People are on campus every day to study, play tenis, basketball, go on hikes and more. We even can check OMM tables out of the library and study outside (which everyone has been doing this week for our final practical exam). There are also opportunities to volunteer in person at the clinics, with Parkinson’s patients 3x/week with the rock steady boxing, and conduct on campus research (and I’m sure plenty more opportunities that I can’t think of right now). I hope this was helpful!

Reactions: 7 users
Hi there! I just finished my first year at NYITCOM OW and I am also one of the orientation leaders (OL) for this year. Accepted students are going to be getting emails this week or next from their OL’s, and then weekly zoom sessions will be held to answer any questions you guys have.

In regards to this question, yes, lectures will be asynchronous going forward. Additionally, students will have in person labs 2 days a week on campus. Speaking for most of my class, we loved asynchronous learning because we could watch the lectures before the week even started (they are posted the Thursday before), and were therefore able to have more time to prepare for labs and exams. Professors hold weekly office hours where they will go through practice problems and any questions you will have and are super responsive when it comes to answering emails.

The community at NYITCOM is still very involved and interactive. People are on campus every day to study, play tenis, basketball, go on hikes and more. We even can check OMM tables out of the library and study outside (which everyone has been doing this week for our final practical exam). There are also opportunities to volunteer in person at the clinics, with Parkinson’s patients 3x/week with the rock steady boxing, and conduct on campus research (and I’m sure plenty more opportunities that I can’t think of right now). I hope this was helpful!
That’s awesome, thanks for the information!! Could I also ask what days and times labs are usually held?

That’s awesome, thanks for the information!! Could I also ask what days and times labs are usually held?
The labs are going to be different this year since we are moving to 2x/ week rather than having all the labs on one day. But I’ve heard that OMM will be on Monday/Tuesday and DPR (which is where we learn clinical skills) will be on Wednesday/Thursday (but it also could be the opposite). The times range from 8am-5pm, it just depends on when your lab group is assigned. Last year we were able to pick our days/times, but I’m not sure what the case will be like for the fall.

The labs are going to be different this year since we are moving to 2x/ week rather than having all the labs on one day. But I’ve heard that OMM will be on Monday/Tuesday and DPR (which is where we learn clinical skills) will be on Wednesday/Thursday (but it also could be the opposite). The times range from 8am-5pm, it just depends on when your lab group is assigned. Last year we were able to pick our days/times, but I’m not sure what the case will be like for the fall.
Oh and anatomy lab will also be on one of those days for the 1st years.

Will this also apply to the JB campus?

Any WL movement? I’m hoping we hear something tomorrow

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

So there is no in-person lectures? Only online, for the AR campus? Thank you

Last edited:

From what I understand, it is only online, no live lectures. Sounds like online school

Last edited:
There are in-person lectures that are optional attendance, many people choose to just watch the recorded lecture for their own time management purposes. Labs are two days a week and are in-person too.

There are in-person lectures that are optional attendance, many people choose to just watch the recorded lecture for their own time management purposes. Labs are two days a week and are in-person too.
are you 100% sure about this?

This is not true, there are no in-person lectures, worst thing, they don't have synchronous online classes either. Please read #2172, the lectures are asynchronous moving forward. 62K for watching recorded lectures is too much imho.

This is not true, there are no in-person lectures, worst thing, they don't have synchronous online classes either. Please read #2172, the lectures are asynchronous moving forward. 62K for watching recorded lectures is too much imho.

Thank you for this info, do you go to NYIT? Would you recommend it? Thank you again.

Jeez this is nuts. LECOM is 35k. Where exactly are the other 30k going too?!?!
I had no idea that lectures are 100% online lol! Hopefully we’ll be able to adjust and make the best out of it.

Reactions: 3 users
5cjfgx.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Did anyone else manically checking their email at 10:30am today? 😂

Are all the spots currently filled? I haven’t been seeing much movement from the MD threads so will there be more movement for NYITCOM? Wondering this because I have to sign a lease soon but NYITCOM is my top choice so I’d go here if accepted just wanted know if there really will be more movement if anyone has heard anything from admissions
which MD threads? I’m only following one and there has been barely any movement :/ same for my other DO school

Let's see if there's any movement tomorrow. They should have had ample amount of time after the break to sit down and analyze if the school has any spots left. I'd reckon if there's no movement tomorrow, then all the spots are taken.

Hey WL people, I spoke to someone in admissions about a week ago and he said the class was full. Sounds like WL movement is over. Obviously I am NOT the ADCOM and I can't know for sure, but based on my conversation it sounded like he was waiting for drops (unlikely at this point).

As someone with 3 MD WL's and a WL for NYCOM, I understand that this is a difficult pill to swallow. Life has a way of guiding you exactly where you need to be, when you need to be there. Have faith and work hard.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hey WL people, I spoke to someone in admissions about a week ago and he said the class was full. Sounds like WL movement is over. Obviously I am NOT the ADCOM and I can't know for sure, but based on my conversation it sounded like he was waiting for drops (unlikely at this point).

As someone with 3 MD WL's and a WL for NYCOM, I understand that this is a difficult pill to swallow. Life has a way of guiding you exactly where you need to be, when you need to be there. Have faith and work hard.
To make matters worse, I had this conversation back in May and they confirmed seats were full. Didn't want to share because I still kept an inkling of hope. And, this is not my first application cycle.

• Sad
The WL support thread had some MD acceptances recently and even one this morning, so Im guessing theres still some hope

The WL support thread had some MD acceptances recently and even one this morning, so Im guessing theres still some hope
I hear you, but I think it's important to understand that that's a tiny fraction of predicted WL movement. Do what you want and what's best for your mental health. If that's holding on to hope awesome, if that's planning for a new cycle, that's great too :)