2020-2021 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Re-applicants who got rejected in April last year did not get holds.... I was complete 8/3 and no hold email ....does this mean they don't want me? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Also got an “on hold” email this morning. Does anyone know what it means? Is it a soft reject? Very confused....

Members don't see this ad :)
Recieved a hold just recently (past hour). I’ll be leaving the thread given their history of holds turning into Rs. Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Just dug through the 2017-2018 thread. Looks like a very small number of holds turn into II's around March based on 2017-2018 and 2016-2017 threads.

There's one user on this page reporting a hold (from July) --> II (March):

Reactions: 2 users
is not getting a hold email when you were completed in July a bad sign?

I read a few comments in the last few pages about NYMC reviewing/not reviewing in order. The reality is every single medical school in the country does some sort of initial triage of apps immediately when they come in and they are reporitized almost immediately. So no, NYMC does not review files fully in the order they come in because no school does that. Only the adcoms know but at my school that almost immediate sorting is done by stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Are we allowed to have a sheet of paper to prep during the 2 min that w have to read the MMI prompts?

I read a few comments in the last few pages about NYMC reviewing/not reviewing in order. The reality is every single medical school in the country does some sort of initial triage of apps immediately when they come in and they are reporitized almost immediately. So no, NYMC does not review files fully in the order they come in because no school does that. Only the adcoms know but at my school that almost immediate sorting is done by stats.

kinda sad to think there is initial sorting based solely on stats.....like I knew this process lost its humanism but lovely to think I am just the sum of my mere statistics to schools rather than my unique experiences that have shaped me into the person I am and the doctor I want to be :(

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
kinda sad to think there is initial sorting based solely on stats.....like I knew this process lost its humanism but lovely to think I am just the sum of my mere statistics to schools rather than my unique experiences that have shaped me into the person I am and the doctor I want to be :(
While I do agree it's a ****ty feeling and this whole process is dehumanizing, there needs to be some type of filtering done to get through the sheer volume of applications they receive and the easiest metric to do that by is stats

While I do agree it's a ****ty feeling and this whole process is dehumanizing, there needs to be some type of filtering done to get through the sheer volume of applications they receive and the easiest metric to do that by is stats
Yup and for example like at my school people with an IA get sorted to a separate pile.

For those who submitted updates, did you receive a reply? Are we supposed to call if we don't get a reply within 3 business days after submitting an update letter? I'm having trouble understanding their automated email

For ppl who interviewed already, isn’t it coming up on 6 weeks since the first dates? Also what were some things that stood out during the interview? Did NYMC seem like an interesting place to study?

Has anyone been able to move their interview to an earlier date? How did you go about doing that?

any chance sending an update letter would move me from hold to II? lol i guess long shot since basically no one gets off hold

have my first MD interview here next week and was wondering if anyone who has interviewed here already can provide any last min tips? MMI isn't really something to prep for but waiting for this is making me nervous lol
Mine is in a FEW DAYS and I’m feeling the same

For those of you who interviewed, around what time did the interview day finish up?

No hold email but are we sure that this hold means anything? Im not the greatest applicant but not the worst either. At this point I've been so humbled in that im super average and if holds represented people getting weeded or cut for a later date, I would be on that list tbh. Maybe hold is actually a good thing?

have my first MD interview here next week and was wondering if anyone who has interviewed here already can provide any last min tips? MMI isn't really something to prep for but waiting for this is making me nervous lol
Don't worry about the mmi too much! None of my questions were too intense, nothing like 'you're a conductor who do u run over with this train??' (although your questions might be different). I found it helpful to have some stories in my head that I could draw from/apply to different situations. And look up some practice mmi questions to get a feel for how to answer stuff, and maybe practice answering some questions out loud. Other than that there's not too much you can do imo. This has been my only interview so i have nothing to compare it to, but overall i didn't find it too stressful. You'll do great!

No "hold" or anything. Complete 9/9. Is it appropriate to send an "update" with my new job?

Don't worry about the mmi too much! None of my questions were too intense, nothing like 'you're a conductor who do u run over with this train??' (although your questions might be different). I found it helpful to have some stories in my head that I could draw from/apply to different situations. And look up some practice mmi questions to get a feel for how to answer stuff, and maybe practice answering some questions out loud. Other than that there's not too much you can do imo. This has been my only interview so i have nothing to compare it to, but overall i didn't find it too stressful. You'll do great!
hey! around what time did you finish the interview day?

Complete 8/27, no email or any updates

any chance sending an update letter would move me from hold to II? lol i guess long shot since basically no one gets off hold
What kind of update are you planning on sharing? I'm not really sure what to do because I don't really have anything "new" going on. I'm involved in this project I'm chairing for a women's group in my community, but I don't really think that's super relevant. I do want to send an update though.. just unsure, ugh.

What kind of update are you planning on sharing? I'm not really sure what to do because I don't really have anything "new" going on. I'm involved in this project I'm chairing for a women's group in my community, but I don't really think that's super relevant. I do want to send an update though.. just unsure, ugh.

was gonna send one abt a new pub and employment

hey! around what time did you finish the interview day?
I want to say it was around 1pm-ish, but i believe I was put in the earlier group, so it depends. It was about 3 and a half hours total

That sounds good! I feel like my potential update is mehhh

ahh honestly it is so arbitrary to have to think about what's significant or not. i would say if you can say it has made a considerable impact on your outlook towards med school, then do it

• Love
Anybody else complete in July and hasn’t heard anything (no II or hold)?

Reactions: 5 users
How did. Ppl dress for the interview? Business professional? Would it be okay to wear sweatpants or will I somehow get exposed?

How did. Ppl dress for the interview? Business professional? Would it be okay to wear sweatpants or will I somehow get exposed?
I would recommend wearing what you would wear to a normal in person interview! You probably won’t get “caught” wearing sweatpants but at least for me wearing professional clothes helped me get in the right mindset/take it as seriously as it deserves. But again i don’t think i ever stood up once on camera during the interview day

Aren't the first interviewees supposed to hear back this week? It's been 6 weeks to this date

No II and no Hold email gang how we doing ? :)

Reactions: 9 users
Thank you! This makes me feel better