2020-2021 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any idea if NYMC gives any good scholarships to incoming students?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my application today-- congratulations to those accepted and are in the running!! Hope to work with you all in the future :)

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Just withdrew my acceptance here. I hope my spot goes to one of you all. Best of luck!

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t pay the deposit so I guess I withdrew? Good luck to you chaps. Hope it goes to one of ya.

Reactions: 4 users
for those who have interviewed, how did it go? I have had a semi bad experience with a previous MMI so I’m kind of nervous

What's up with the URM panel invite. Does everyone who in interviews get this? My bad if this has been addressed already

Just officially withdrew my acceptance here. Good luck to everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 12/17, WL 1/13, accepted today 2/23!!! WL movement happening.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I dont understand this is my 4th waitlist from a Ny school being in the state. All my interviewers have given me positive reactions and so have those I have practiced with. Am I missing something? I just wish schools were more transparent and would let me know why so I can work on those weaknesses.
And this is why it’s a test of patience. Accepted today after WL

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted This Morning!! Still in Shock!! Was just waitlisted in January!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
been on hold since 12/27. what are the chances of getting an II at this point? :/

Reactions: 1 user
I hope this early waitlist movement is a good sign! Normally they dont pull until later in the cycle

Reactions: 3 users
put on hold 1/11, interview invite 1/25, interviewed 2/4, accepted this morning 2/24 7am EST!! :)

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Been on hold since 11/4 .... I'll take my R....

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else...just in silence...no hold?

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone who interviewed the week of feb 8th hear back?

Has anyone who interviewed the week of feb 8th hear back?
I interviewed on Feb 8th and didn't hear anything. Probably Feb 5th was the cut-off date for this batch of As. Hopefully, we will be on the next batch.

Any current students here who can answer some questions? I wanted to have a better understanding of the curriculum and if attendance for class is mandatory or is everything recorded?

Any current students here who can answer some questions? I wanted to have a better understanding of the curriculum and if attendance for class is mandatory or is everything recorded?
I am wondering the same! And does anyone if classes are pass/fail?

I am wondering the same! And does anyone if classes are pass/fail?
Per the 2020-2021 NYMC Catalog:

"Grading in pre-clerkship courses is Pass/ Fail.
Clerkships are graded Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail."

From what I have heard, most lectures are recorded! Hope this helps

NYMC Catalog: https://www.nymc.edu/media/schools-and-colleges/nymc/pdf/somcatalog2020-2021.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
It is not mandatory to attend the lectures (which are also recorded and posted the same day), however, there are small group sessions/labs which you have to attend

Sorry if this has been answered before but can anyone tell me if NYMC considers taking the MCAT more than 2 times a red flag? The second time I took the MCAT one of my section scores dropped from 129 to 126 (total score increased by 1 point but was still slightly below NYMC median). But the third time my total score and individual scores all increased and were above median. Debating if I should bring this up when they ask the inevitable "do you have any red flags" question since most people don't take it three times.
From NYMC's website "Many applicants take the MCAT more than once. This is not considered a liability. We attach greatest importance to the most recent scores, although we will review the most recent last two sets of scores."

I wouldn't stress it too much, if you were invited to interview, they've seen the scores they like you. I don't think it would hurt to address it briefly, but no need to over-explain or sound neurotic about it. Perfectionism is not what they're looking for! Best of luck

Reactions: 3 users
Held since 2/25, looks like slim chances at this point for an II but who knows

Is this school better than Albany?
Any US Medical School is good and a huge accomplishment! It is all about what you make of it and what you do in medical school that matters when residency comes up. Go wherever you liked the most; no need to overthink it.

Reactions: 4 users