2020-2021 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed in last year's 2020 cycle in the week of 03/09/20 and was told it was the last week for interviews. If thats any indication of the 2021 cycle then maybe it means we're getting to the end of the interview season for NYMC. I don't want to bring anyone's hopes down but rather keep expectations realistic because I've had my share of soul crushing application cycles and honestly being realistic is better than holding out hope.
Agreed. Also, it’s a good idea to check their accepted students page on Facebook. That way you can see approximately how many seats are left

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had my interview in early March last cycle, got put on hold in late March/ early April, and got a rejection in mid-July when the classes start. So it doesn’t mean anything - you can’t really tell... The only thing it means - they’re interested in you and would like to learn more about you, so you gotta stay strong!
Wasn’t your hold post II? I think pre-II holds and post-II holds are different though. You may be correct and I’m sure NYMC is almost done with IIs, but it makes no sense to give pre-II hold in march which signifies ‘we will review again later’

I was complete in July. I sent an update in late January and got a response. However I have yet to be put on hold or have any change of status. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete in July. I sent an update in late January and got a response. However I have yet to be put on hold or have any change of status. Anyone else in a similar boat?
Yep. Complete July, Update letter November. No hold or anything.

But I am a reapplicant here and was on hold then rejected last cycle... not sure if that’s relevant lol.

The class size varies between 215 to 220 year to year due to rolling wait list to acceptances. As per stats, total acceptances for NYMC last year is around 525 (by end of cycle), 2.4 times of class size (which is ~50 to 55% of IIs) - meaning they should WL around 300+ candidates and a majority of them will roll off into A.
Thanks for sharing this! May I ask the source?

does anyone know about the situation for fall? if its in person every day... 1-2 days a week? virtual?

or has anyone talked to a current student about how classes are set up? please let me know thanks!

does anyone know about the situation for fall? if its in person every day... 1-2 days a week? virtual?

or has anyone talked to a current student about how classes are set up? please let me know thanks!
I heard from a student that more info would be provided in the virtual second look that they are planning.

Are they still interviewing? Ive been on hold on since December but they accepted my update last week.
In their auto reply they say: "We interview to the end of March and all applicants can hear until then for an invitation." Seems like invites will continue to go out through this month?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies if this was asked already, but does anyone know when waitlist movement begins? Have there been people that have already gotten off?

Welp just got the Pre II R. 3.86, 516. Was complete in July, never put on hold.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Got the boot too. JFC 4th R today

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Pre II R today, was on a hold

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Haven't gotten the pre-II R but haven't gotten an II either...anyone else get ghosted?

• Care
Isn't it too early to start WL move; unless applicants with multiple As promptly made their top choice(s) and withdrew from rest.
if you look back in the thread, a few people were taken off the waitlist.

Isn't it too early to start WL move; unless applicants with multiple As promptly made their top choice(s) and withdrew from rest.
also, they're still interviewing right so how come they're pulling people off the WL before they finish interviews ?
I mean WLs suck so super happy for those who turned WLs into As but just wondering

also, they're still interviewing right so how come they're pulling people off the WL before they finish interviews ?
I mean WLs suck so super happy for those who turned WLs into As but just wondering
Because often at an admissions committee meeting they may discuss not only the recent interviewees but also people from the past who they weren't quite sure about. If a WL person stacks up well against newly interviewed people they might make an offer now instead of waiting.
I agree it's confusing. Some schools won't give you a "WL" status early on, they may call it "continued consideration" or may give little or no feedback after an interview.

does anyone know about the situation for fall? if its in person every day... 1-2 days a week? virtual?l
The school doesn’t know yet, it’s very hard to predict what’s going to happen in the fall in terms of the pandemic. But as for last year, all anatomy labs were in person (schedule varies, but up to 3 labs per week), as well as few clinical skills workshops. All lectures, small group sessions, and the majority of other events were online. So, basically, we’ll know for sure closer to the summer. It might be a good idea to take a look at the NYMC website - they have lots of info on how the classes are set up, which classes are in which blocks, and so on

• Care
The school doesn’t know yet, it’s very hard to predict what’s going to happen in the fall in terms of the pandemic. But as for last year, all anatomy labs were in person (schedule varies, but up to 3 labs per week), as well as few clinical skills workshops. All lectures, small group sessions, and the majority of other events were online. So, basically, we’ll know for sure closer to the summer. It might be a good idea to take a look at the NYMC website - they have lots of info on how the classes are set up, which classes are in which blocks, and so on
thank you sooo much, this was very informative. i appreciate it

Wasn’t your hold post II? I think pre-II holds and post-II holds are different though. You may be correct and I’m sure NYMC is almost done with IIs, but it makes no sense to give pre-II hold in march which signifies ‘we will review again later’
I received a pre-II hold which seems pointless

Have they taken people off Pre-II hold?
Yes they have! If you look at the previous posts, people have said they were taken off for an interview.
So there are probably more as well because SDN is only a small group.

Pre-II R, and another one bites the dust

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
So sorry to hear about pre-II Rs. Does anyone mind sharing when you were put on hold?

Got the A! Was put on hold at first and interviewed earlier this month 🙏🏼

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Pre -II R , never put on hold , completed early September . Did undergrad in NY for 4 yrs. Honestly I did not like to read NYMC R email , it made be very sad :(

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
is anyone still on hold? I think I've been on hold since nov or dec...
can we get our hopes up after this recent R wave or ???

Pre-II R, no prior hold. Best of luck everyone else!

• Care
A! Interviewed the last week of February

• Love
For those of you who paid a deposit and then withdrew acceptance—how did you get your $100 deposit back?