2020-2021 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like Noorda-COM messed up their acceptance process. Based on my analysis their wait list will open up Only After March 15th. The reason being all those 80% accepted the offer so far paid only $1000.00 and has until march 15th pay $2000 for Matriculation. Rest of those 20% offered after Feb 15th has only 14 day to pay $3000. Those waiting keep your hopes high.

Members don't see this ad.

But still,

I had 0 update and you had an amazing one. I stayed in middle and you went to lower. Makes no sense at all. I’ll just consider myself rejected and if by some miracle I get in then it will be a pleasant surprise. I’m done overthinking this.

I think noorda will decide against a ranked WL in the future after reading through this forum lol.
Yeah.

This is just madness.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Looks like Noorda-COM messed up their acceptance process. Based on my analysis their wait list will open up Only After March 15th. The reason being all those 80% accepted the offer so far paid only $1000.00 and has until march 15th pay $2000 for Matriculation. Rest of those 20% offered after Feb 15th has only 15 day to pay $3000. Those waiting keep your hopes high.
That is a very logical way of lookin at this.

...though mid tier means I’m outclassed bu the upper tier folks, though I don’t know how many people are actually above me.

It is overall chaotic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like Noorda-COM messed up their acceptance process. Based on my analysis their wait list will open up Only After March 15th. The reason being all those 80% accepted the offer so far paid only $1000.00 and has until march 15th pay $2000 for Matriculation. Rest of those 20% offered after Feb 15th has only 14 day to pay $3000. Those waiting keep your hopes high.
The 80% isn’t 80% of the class, it’s 80% of those offered acceptance in January. 20% isn’t feb offers its the 20% that were accepted in Jan that didn’t secure a seat.

Reactions: 2 users
The 80% isn’t 80% of the class, it’s 80% of those offered acceptance in January. 20% isn’t feb offers its the 20% that were accepted in Jan that didn’t secure a seat.
Correct... that 80% only paid $1000 and may hold the seats until March 15th without any cost and obligations even if they don't want it. Hope those folks release seats early.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. This is very confusing. I feel for those of you who were dropped and those who moved down tiers. Good vibes to you all. Here’s a prayer to the DO Gods that WL movement will happen haha.

Good luck guys! Still a lot of fight left.

I still want to know... how many people in top vs mid vs low? hmm

Im curious how big these tiers are. I'm still in the top tier and I imagine a lot of people still are-- but I have no idea how many

I also got the email saying I was still waitlisted for lower tier. Probs not gonna make it off WL, best of luck to everyone else.

For all my other low tierers, keep your head up. It's a tough process and making it this far was a big accomplishment.

• Care
+1 on the middle tier WL. I really love NOORDA, praying for a miracle! I wish they allowed us to send update letters tho. Hopefully, there is movement in the upcoming months. Sending positive vibes to everybody!!!

Kitten Inspiration GIF

Reactions: 3 users
+1 on the middle tier WL. I really love NOORDA, praying for a miracle! I wish they allowed us to send update letters tho. Hopefully, there is movement in the upcoming months. Sending positive vibes to everybody!!!

Kitten Inspiration GIF

I don't think they allow us to send in update letters...at least to them directly.

How many of us are in the middle tier? It seems like a majority of folks are in this limbo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted to top tier yesterday, although kinda tough to gauge how many people could be in each tier at this point. interviewed early January.

Does Noorda habe cadavers/plan to have cadavers or is it going to be virtual anatomy?

I was t25, now top tier for anyone keeping track. I think overall I wouldn’t put too much weight on the tier level to be honest. It sounds like they will reevaluate each time new decisions are made so we could see more changes to come. Stay positive friends, it ain’t over til it’s over.

Hi all, I will be withdrawing my acceptance from noorda. Hope it goes to one of you! Best of luck this cycle. And if this cycle doesn’t pan out, never give up. You will all become amazing doctors one day. xx

• Care
Reactions: 26 users
There seems to be a lot of people in the top tier...that's going to be interesting. Wonder how they will choose from that pool.

• Sad
There seems to be a lot of people in the top tier...that's going to be interesting. Wonder how they will choose from that pool.
Could just be reporting bias. People are stoked that they got top tier so they are more vocal. It would only make sense to have an even split or less in the top tier. Otherwise, what is the point of tiers?

Could just be reporting bias. People are stoked that they got top tier so they are more vocal. It would only make sense to have an even split or less in the top tier. Otherwise, what is the point of tiers?
I mean even top tier should be very cautiously optimistic.. Specifically after that email last night :/

I mean even top tier should be very cautiously optimistic.. Specifically after that email last night :/
I don’t feel that way, going from top 25 to top tier, and seeing some go from top to low. Still very confused.

I was moved down to top tier from t25. I love noorda but I’m not counting on this school at all anymore. After people from top were accepted before t25s, it just shows that the waitlist doesn’t have much validity to it. They could accept randomly from low and middle tier for all we know. They will also add more people to the waitlist after February interviews so we all could very well move down tiers again. Everyone, even top tier, should be looking at other options/backup plans.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
I was moved down to top tier from t25. I love noorda but I’m not counting on this school at all anymore. After people from top were accepted before t25s, it just shows that the waitlist doesn’t have much validity to it. They could accept randomly from low and middle tier for all we know. They will also add more people to the waitlist after February interviews so we all could very well move down tiers again. Everyone, even top tier, should be looking at other options/backup plans.

:(

What are some back up plans everyone is looking at? I'm middle tier as well and feel tied up in my future lol
Counting my lucky stars that I chose to do an SMP this year because as long as I continue to bust my butt to maintain my gpa this semester, I will be matriculating to LECOM.

So many people say that there is time to apply again and again … maybe that feels true for some, but not for me. I got nothing from my first application cycle last year and as a career changer and mother, time is definitely of the essence to me. Around this time last year was when I decided to make a move that would give me, not only a backup plan during this application cycle, but a concrete goal that would lead to medical school (make the gpa->matriculate). Because applying is so abstract and really a gamble as far as whether you get an acceptance.

I’ve heard so many people optimistically say that they would just “apply next year,” as if that means with some certainty that there will be a different outcome, only for next year to turn into another… and another… and another.

This is why the time, money, and energy that I’m sacrificing for 1 year in an SMP is worth the peace of mind that I will be starting my journey to become a physician in the fall.

yes, given the option, I would choose NOORDA over LECOM. But I will, in a heartbeat, choose LECOM over waiting and betting on future cycles.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Counting my lucky stars that I chose to do an SMP this year because as long as I continue to bust my butt to maintain my gpa this semester, I will be matriculating to LECOM.

So many people say that there is time to apply again and again … maybe that feels true for some, but not for me. I got nothing from my first application cycle last year and as a career changer and mother, time is definitely of the essence to me. Around this time last year was when I decided to make a move that would give me, not only a backup plan during this application cycle, but a concrete goal that would lead to medical school (make the gpa->matriculate). Because applying is so abstract and really a gamble as far as whether you get an acceptance.

I’ve heard so many people optimistically say that they would just “apply next year,” as if that means with some certainty that there will be a different outcome, only for next year to turn into another… and another… and another.

This is why the time, money, and energy that I’m sacrificing for 1 year in an SMP is worth the peace of mind that I will be starting my journey to become a physician in the fall.

yes, given the option, I would choose NOORDA over LECOM. But I will, in a heartbeat, choose LECOM over waiting and betting on future cycles.

Just my 2 cents
I was thinking of doing an SMP as well! I'm in the same boat, I would love to think I have all the time and money in the world to apply again and again but I know that is unrealistic for myself. And if becoming a physician is not meant to be for me then that is also something I will eventually have to accept. Congratulations on LECOM, you will be an incredible asset to them and future physician!

• Care
I was thinking of doing an SMP as well! I'm in the same boat, I would love to think I have all the time and money in the world to apply again and again but I know that is unrealistic for myself. And if becoming a physician is not meant to be for me then that is also something I will eventually have to accept. Congratulations on LECOM, you will be an incredible asset to them and future physician!
Thank you so much!

I really believe in SMPs. I also really believe that the people who are most passionate about becoming physicians will make the best practitioners. But sometimes that means taking more actionable steps to get there than solely applying. 🤷‍♀️

Don’t get me started 😉 but if you have any doubts, an SMP will also prepare you so well to go into med school. You will be light years ahead of general applicants, therefor greater scores and less stress. At least through LECOM, we get the same faculty who give us the exact same lecture slides as the med students. So previous SMP students tell us they could ace the first year from what they got in the SMP (of course, they are still studying and working hard to do so now).

• Love
LECOM is ~140k in tuition + ~ 60k COL ~ 200k expect to be ~220k at end of residency (due to REPAYE - only federal loans qualify)
vs
Noorda is $240k in tuition + ~ 70k COL ~ 310k and ~ 390k by end of residency cuz private loans/no REPAYE

Not to mention any forgiveness, even $10k or $10k per year doing non-profit as are many residencies, PSLF, REPAYE (half ur interest paid by the government) vs private loans (you're responsible for all the interest).

I know location might be important for you as a mother but why would you pick a new school that is unknown to program directors over an established school that churns out 600+ residents each year and has a top 5 COMLEX score? Even BCOM which had access to an MD school's research opportunities and resources only graduated ~75% of their inaugural class. Those who dropped/flunked have to find a way to pay $100k+ in loans without a high-paying job.
Very very important information. Medical school is as much a financial decision as it is personal.

You nailed it. Location. I’m not only a mother, but a single mother (by choice, so no Dad to speak of). In Utah, I have family support and that could make a huge difference in acclimating to med school for myself and my 2 year old daughter.

otherwise, yes, LECOM is a clear winner in all other ways and I’m ecstatic that I chose their SMP, fully willing to relocate and complete their DO program.
Good for you, I hope nothing but the best! Way to be a role model and make us all proud : D

• Care
You nailed it. Location. I’m not only a mother, but a single mother (by choice, so no Dad to speak of). In Utah, I have family support and that could make a huge difference in acclimating to med school for myself and my 2 year old daughter.

otherwise, yes, LECOM is a clear winner in all other ways and I’m ecstatic that I chose their SMP, fully willing to relocate and complete their DO program.
That is awesome. I really hope it all works out for you. LECOMs SMP seems very interesting. Glad you had a fantastic experience. I didn’t know they had a linkage through their program!

That hurts. I’m sorry you were jumped over. Definitely doesn’t make a lot of sense. I feel for all of you t25s!

That is awesome. I really hope it all works out for you. LECOMs SMP seems very interesting. Glad you had a fantastic experience. I didn’t know they had a linkage through their program!
😉

the official verbiage is that they guarantee an interview. But we were also told that in the last 10 years, they’ve subsequently extended offers of admission to 100% of the students who were eligible for an interview (3.3 program gpa for the Erie branch).

😉

the official verbiage is that they guarantee an interview. But we were also told that in the last 10 years, they’ve subsequently extended offers of admission to 100% of the students who were eligible for an interview (3.3 program gpa for the Erie branch).
Seems like you’ve set yourself up well. That is so cool. From one mama to another, great job!

Do they have SMPs at all branches or is Erie the one you want?

Seems like you’ve set yourself up well. That is so cool. From one mama to another, great job!

Do they have SMPs at all branches or is Erie the one you want?
Yes, mama! We need more of us on this journey!

While there are 4 LECOM campuses, they operate as 2 entities. Bradenton is its own and the other 3 are rolled up under Erie.

As far as the SMPs, Erie starts in August for 2 semesters and the gpa benchmark is 3.3; Bradenton starts in July for 3 trimesters and I think their gpa benchmark is different. Both take the same 38 credit hours for the year long SMP. While not impossible, it’s difficult (without compelling ties) to switch campuses going from SMP to DO. So it’s important to understand the area you may want to be in before starting the SMP. Also, Bradenton only offers the problem based learning pathway (PBL). While Erie offers all 4 of their pathways; the 2 other campuses under the Erie branch—Seton Hill and Elmira—also only offer PBL.

Yes, mama! We need more of us on this journey!

While there are 4 LECOM campuses, they operate as 2 entities. Bradenton is its own and the other 3 are rolled up under Erie.

As far as the SMPs, Erie starts in August for 2 semesters and the gpa benchmark is 3.3; Bradenton starts in July for 3 trimesters and I think their gpa benchmark is different. Both take the same 38 credit hours for the year long SMP. While not impossible, it’s difficult (without compelling ties) to switch campuses going from SMP to DO. So it’s important to understand the area you may want to be in before starting the SMP. Also, Bradenton only offers the problem based learning pathway (PBL). While Erie offers all 4 of their pathways; the 2 other campuses under the Erie branch—Seton Hill and Elmira—also only offer PBL.
That is fascinating. My brother in law is getting ready to apply but is also looking at SMPs I'll have to tell him to look into these.

I may shoot you a PM for some more insider info if that's alright haha.

That is fascinating. My brother in law is getting ready to apply but is also looking at SMPs I'll have to tell him to look into these.

I may shoot you a PM for some more insider info if that's alright haha.
Absolutely do!! 😊 I’m more than happy to offer what I know from my experiences.

I can’t even get SMP applications looked at with an undergrad <2.7(from 10 years ago) which ironically is the whole reason I need it. LECOM told me to not even apply.

Noorda is at least giving my a chance, which leads me to believe they actually mean it when they say holistic review of the applicant.

Reactions: 4 users
I can’t even get SMP applications looked at with an undergrad <2.7(from 10 years ago) which ironically is the whole reason I need it. LECOM told me to not even apply.

Noorda is at least giving my a chance, which leads me to believe they actually mean it when they say holistic review of the applicant.
Shoot! They do require a minimum 2.7 GPA to get into the MMS program.

Have you taken any courses more recently?

What about formal postbac programs? Those will actually help your GPA as opposed to SMPs which do not because they count as graduate GPAs. They can also sometimes have linkages.

Make sure you narrow down what it is you are trying to achieve to improve your chances of getting into a medical school (improving GPA, showing academic ability, or getting a linkage/guaranteed spot?) and picking the best option that will serve that purpose while requiring from you the least sacrifice (moving, cost, time).

n=1 I personally had a lower GPA (~3.1) from >10 years ago and needed the science courses but didn't want to move or spend a lot of money. I did a DIY postbacc mostly at a community college and made sure to get a 4.0 in those classes to show I had changed and also could rock science courses. It worked out for me.

I have some graduate level courses with a 3.5, but it was only a 12 hour certificate program. I didn’t know about all the postbaccs and SMPs back then. Nova actually has a program that is 1 year and has guaranteed DO matriculation, they were able to overlook the undergrad GPA but had a hard stop at 2 rec letters from science professors even for non-trads.

I’ll go back to the drawing board if I don’t get pulled from the top tier, formally a top 25 if that means anything.

I have some graduate level courses with a 3.5, but it was only a 12 hour certificate program. I didn’t know about all the postbaccs and SMPs back then. Nova actually has a program that is 1 year and has guaranteed DO matriculation, they were able to overlook the undergrad GPA but had a hard stop at 2 rec letters from science professors even for non-trads.

I’ll go back to the drawing board if I don’t get pulled from the top tier, formally a top 25 if that means anything.
Sounds like you have taken some solid steps. And where there is a will, there is a way. 😉

Keep at it and be flexible with how you move forward. I wish you all the best in your dreams. Feel free to reach out.

• Care
Sounds like you have taken some solid steps. And where there is a will, there is a way. 😉

Keep at it and be flexible with how you move forward. I wish you all the best in your dreams. Feel free to reach out.

Is the Lecom program remote?

I did an SMP at Rutgers, NJMS, but there were no gaurantees and pretty high standards for an interview or acceptance. Finished with a 3.4, but I wish I did an SMP somewhere else, because its looking as if I have to take another SMP at this rate if I keep getting waitlisted.